Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's extra funny to me because they are trying to sell the industry on "we can go it alone and make an infotainment UI so good that you won't want CarPlay or Android Auto," and they can't even make one good enough to put on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It's extra funny to me because they are trying to sell the industry on "we can go it alone and make an infotainment UI so good that you won't want CarPlay or Android Auto," and they can't even make one good enough to put on sale.

Realistically speaking, even if a car company wanted to do something like that, why would any of the kind of talent capable of producing this want to work for them?

Aren’t legacy car manufacturers too stodgy and low tech for any of the Apple/google/FB crowd? That’s why Tesla poached all the Apple employees for their infotainment?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Aren’t legacy car manufacturers too stodgy and low tech for any of the Apple/google/FB crowd? That’s why Tesla poached all the Apple employees for their infotainment?

It's not about being low tech or stodgy. It's that working for a car company doesn't pay Apple engineer money and nobody wants to get paid in GM stock.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KillHour posted:

It's not about being low tech or stodgy. It's that working for a car company doesn't pay Apple engineer money and nobody wants to get paid in GM stock.

Even automotive engineers designing the engines don’t get paid much right?
I’ve heard for years aeronautical engineering and other such related professions don’t actually pay very much and the more numerically savvy of the bunch go on to work for banks designing high speed trading algorithms to make actual bank.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you wanted an infotainment system that was gorgeous, usable, and in every way perfect without touching Apple or Android, you'd go to Garmin. I've had my occasional frustration with them, but their current line of aviation products are absolutely amazing, and I would suck a dick for the equivalent of a G3X Touch in my car. What amazes me about the current line of products is that the UX is generally so well-designed that there are multiple ways of doing anything you'd want to do, and if you're unfamiliar with how it works, you can find out by thinking to yourself "how would I like it to work?" and then doing that, and there's a 90% chance it will work exactly the way you think it should. There's other stuff where you go "I don't know I'd ever need this, but now that I have it, I really like that it's here."

I don't know if they pay comparable to Apple or Google, but whatever they're doing is working.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PT6A posted:

If you wanted an infotainment system that was gorgeous, usable, and in every way perfect without touching Apple or Android, you'd go to Garmin. I've had my occasional frustration with them, but their current line of aviation products are absolutely amazing, and I would suck a dick for the equivalent of a G3X Touch in my car. What amazes me about the current line of products is that the UX is generally so well-designed that there are multiple ways of doing anything you'd want to do, and if you're unfamiliar with how it works, you can find out by thinking to yourself "how would I like it to work?" and then doing that, and there's a 90% chance it will work exactly the way you think it should. There's other stuff where you go "I don't know I'd ever need this, but now that I have it, I really like that it's here."

I don't know if they pay comparable to Apple or Google, but whatever they're doing is working.

Garmin is pretty well respected I feel like in the software world. I like the aspirational comparison of car infotainment to glass cockpits in aviation. Although, I still feel the best systems are simple and in a way are just a transparent pass through to Apple or Android, ideally wirelessly.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I saw a video on the Garmin autoland system where if your pilot suddenly croaks you can just push a button and the plane will safely land itself at the nearest airport, even going as far as communicating with ATC. Really neat stuff.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mental Hospitality posted:

I saw a video on the Garmin autoland system where if your pilot suddenly croaks you can just push a button and the plane will safely land itself at the nearest airport, even going as far as communicating with ATC. Really neat stuff.

I flew on a small private plane, I think it was a Cirrus, at a flying club I was looking into. The plane was pretty new and was equipped with both the whole-plane parachute and the autoland system. The pilot has to give a brief safety briefing before takeoff so they go over the buttons to push or levers to pull if they croak. Fun stuff.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
"Modern cars are too complex, too many screens. Give me a base model!" is a common refrain.

Not quite a new car, been around for a few years, Daihatsu got you, in developing markets, with a base model Ayla.

13" wheels, 998 cc 3 cylinder 1KR-DE, DOHC with 65 PS of power at 6,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 86 Nm. It does offer such luxurious features as "board door trim, molded head lining, sun visor and B-pillar garnish". ~US$5k

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1. It really looks like a rebadged Daihatsu Mira, which was both to kei specs and also had that larger 3-cylinder in Japan.

2. I, uh, wonder if that is also subject to the safety test issues Daihatsu is now finding themselves in :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

1. It really looks like a rebadged Daihatsu Mira, which was both to kei specs and also had that larger 3-cylinder in Japan.

2. I, uh, wonder if that is also subject to the safety test issues Daihatsu is now finding themselves in :v:

Given the last news from the inquiry, Daihatsu might as well provide a spray can of silver paint in place of airbags.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Japanese design house DAMD are back again with some more styling work for existing vehicles...

Yes those are what you think they are :3:

https://twitter.com/responsejp/status/1739526743759917136?t=ZNkyEOfiDt470Am7vxTwkg&s=19

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

BuckyDoneGun posted:

"Modern cars are too complex, too many screens. Give me a base model!" is a common refrain.

Not quite a new car, been around for a few years, Daihatsu got you, in developing markets, with a base model Ayla.

In Europe you can get a Dacia.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DanTheFryingPan posted:

In Europe you can get a Dacia.

Dacia isn't the barebone brand as it used to be, only the spring has an interior made from trash cans and low end tech, sandero costs pretty much as the equivalent clio.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Dacia isn't the barebone brand as it used to be, only the spring has an interior made from trash cans and low end tech, sandero costs pretty much as the equivalent clio.

drat Dacia, that was your major selling point.

Here in the Nordic frozen wastelands the Clio is about 3000€ more than the basic Sandero, but I'll admit that our prices are all kinds of hosed up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sent to me without context :thunk:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sab669 posted:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/update-not-successful-car-cannot-be-driven-ford-should-really-think-about-a-mobile-service.32314/

quote:

Got the car back today. Was easy for the dealer to fix as they just had to update manually. They technically fixed it the same day I towed it there (Friday) but opted to return the vehicle to me today (Monday) as they wanted to do a road test to make sure there were no issues. I am sorry if this happens to anyone in the future.

Apparently that phone number is a direct line to the software people who get you fixed ASAP.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DanTheFryingPan posted:

drat Dacia, that was your major selling point.

Here in the Nordic frozen wastelands the Clio is about 3000€ more than the basic Sandero, but I'll admit that our prices are all kinds of hosed up.

Until last year you could still get clio generation (a barebone stock clio 4) at the same price if not less of a dacia, with far better materials. Shame stocks ran out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BuckyDoneGun posted:

13" wheels, 998 cc 3 cylinder 1KR-DE, DOHC with 65 PS of power at 6,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 86 Nm. It does offer such luxurious features as "board door trim, molded head lining, sun visor and B-pillar garnish". ~US$5k

Might want to google what's going down with Daihatsu right now...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Tesla might want to take note.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Sab669 posted:

This should immediately make the vehicle eligible for compensation under lemon laws.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I can't decide if it's funnier to have a car that needs updates that can brick it entirely than the time Nike sold those self lacing shoes which also had a day 1 firmware update that meant you literally couldn't use them as shoes. :v:

*edit: I went to take a look at what the update was for because some people were saying "it's probably a very important update for them to push it"

...and it turns out it's an update that mentions updating the 'quality of your instrument panel' which is nothing and one ACTUAL change. They made the chime louder for when you leave the bonnet open. They broke the car moving some graphics around and changing the volume on a chime. It never fails to impress just how bad vehicle software devs are. Just bottom tier poo poo every single time.

I'm not particularly old but modern cars are loving dumb as poo poo, they should be getting simpler, not adding layer upon layer of failure points as software.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 26, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Your failure points are another mans features

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ThinkFear posted:

Couple of execs at motortrend chuckling nervously right now.

Nah, the MT and C&D car of the year history is littered with garbage.

The PT Cruiser. The (new) Ford Thunderbird. The Chrysler 300. The Chevy Malibu. The Pontiac Grand Prix. The list of poo poo goes on.

The recurring theme seems to be "no, really, the domestic automakers finally got it right this time!" and then nope they sure did not.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fknlo posted:

Might want to google what's going down with Daihatsu right now...

Fibbing on crash safety isn't really relevant to cars like that one which weren't intended to meet any safety standards anyway.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

Fibbing on crash safety isn't really relevant to cars like that one which weren't intended to meet any safety standards anyway.

Daihatsu didn't fake out stuff like optional euroncap items, they hosed up basic omologation items. Theoretically they could see all their vehicles marked unfit for public road use even in third world markets.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The very basic ones don't even have front airbags let alone side ones which is where the current scandal started.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Firmware updates have existed for cars for decades, the difference is that they were done at the dealer so they had more options for recovery and you were already at the dealer if they had to replace bricked hardware. It's the OTA process having a bad failure mode that's the issue here and there's no reason for it.

Android phones and Chromebooks have a dual partition setup that allows you to fail back to an old version if the update messed up. Motherboards have had dual BIOS as an option forever as well.

You can build these systems so it doesn't leave the car unusable for a failed update, they just suck at software engineering and penny pinch the design.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sab669 posted:

Future Me, registering with Japan Car Direct and importing a 30 year old Toyota instead of loving with these dogshit rolling computers.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The 2000 to early 2010s era is pretty appealing right now. Reliability was good, plenty of airbags and safety features, and technology was there but not omnipresent.

:okboomer:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Guinness posted:

The PT Cruiser. The (new) Ford Thunderbird. The Chrysler 300. The Chevy Malibu. The Pontiac Grand Prix. The list of poo poo goes on.

The recurring theme seems to be "no, really, the domestic automakers finally got it right this time!" and then nope they sure did not.

Didn't they (M/T) separate the categories for a while? "Import" car of the year and Domestic car of the year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dissss posted:

The very basic ones don't even have front airbags let alone side ones which is where the current scandal started.

The earliest affected cars go back to 1989, my guess is they were telling lots of white lies on crash safety homologation, supposedly when it comes to doors/side impact, so I’m guessing that’s chassis metal and not just airbags.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The 2000 to early 2010s era is pretty appealing right now. Reliability was good, plenty of airbags and safety features, and technology was there but not omnipresent.

:okboomer:

Yea it's pretty much the sweet spot. Bluetooth, maybe a heated wheel and nav. What more do you need.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My brz doesn't have too much of the new car bullshit bloatware but it does have the poo poo that tracks your car and let's Subaru send you loving emails about tpms sensors and oil changes. Gonna rip the unit out soon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
My 2019 Type-R is pretty non-intrusive, with the center screen being basically just a platform for Android Auto. The only hiccup being having to press a "climate" button to get to a touch screen to change the direction of the air.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

TThe Pontiac Grand Prix. The list of poo poo goes on.

Listen, I still regularly see these on their 24th owner doing 40 over jumping across 4 lanes to hit an exit. They might be the original big altima energy. This one can have it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

wesleywillis posted:

Didn't they (M/T) separate the categories for a while? "Import" car of the year and Domestic car of the year?

Yeah Import Car of the Year was a thing until sometime in the 90s.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary
A while back I read that laws/regulations were recently changed to allow full-width lighting on the front and rear of cars. You can see this with the F150 Lightning, Cybertruck, various Hyundai models etc. But how is that different than an old Mercury Sable? Or more recently, the taillights of the Dodge Charger and Durango? Is the change simply based on newer LED technology or different DOT regs? TIA.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

bull3964 posted:

Firmware updates have existed for cars for decades, the difference is that they were done at the dealer so they had more options for recovery and you were already at the dealer if they had to replace bricked hardware. It's the OTA process having a bad failure mode that's the issue here and there's no reason for it.

Android phones and Chromebooks have a dual partition setup that allows you to fail back to an old version if the update messed up. Motherboards have had dual BIOS as an option forever as well.

You can build these systems so it doesn't leave the car unusable for a failed update, they just suck at software engineering and penny pinch the design.

This is my opinion as well. There's a used car dealership locally that sells nothing but lemon law buyback German vehicles. They have 30 Mercedes on hand at any given moment, and turn them fairly quickly. 5 to 10 of the other brands.

Almost all of the buybacks are electrical in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Its been a fun ride watching the recent fall from grace.
Going from MotorTrend trading the COTY title for some sweet GM Advertising money, to a stop sale from GM because of all the recent negative press, to watching the Blazer EV place dead last on Doug Demuro's score board for EVs.
You did it GM. You took the fight to Tesla!

Also, anyone who thinks the Blazer SS EV is going to stick to that $66K price point when it comes out is loving insane.