Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Oll was introduced in...Know No Fear, wasn't it? Were the others introduced at the same time or did they get added later? I haven't read Know No Fear in a long time (need to remedy that but I have so many books to catch up on / reread, currently reading the Fabius Bile books which are very interesting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kat was definitely from Calth, there was at least one other, but I can't remember which. The others got picked up along the way.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Krank, Kat, Zybes, Graft, and Oll are all from Know No Fear, Oll formed the gang while escaping Calth (there was another guy with them but I guess he died or something??). I didn't read the books where Actae and LE2 joined the crew so her being Cyrene from Monarchia was a surprise lol

Crab Battle posted:

TEATD 2:

I'm also hoping that there's literally anything in store for Oll and the 'long companions'. They all seemed to die without really doing anything - Katt was built up as a mystery, but just acted as a check for Actae/Cyrene? I did get a laugh out of the servitor hitting Erebus with a storage container.

I feel like Kat and Actae are the only parts of the gang aside from Oll and John that had anything going on tbh. Krank and Zybes are just some guys and Graft is a robot. I guess he was a super smart robot? Whatever but yeah Graft went down swinging

Honestly I kinda thought the Emperor was bringing the whole crew back to life after he stopped being an orb. Dorn is digging Actae out of the rubble so she'll probably have something to do

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, it works out something like "I should be able to dig myself out in 10 years or so, but the world is going to end before then."

EotD2

It was more like she would be able to regain her psyker power over time to blast her way out by just laying there as paste. I think this was intentional to connect to the passage in...

Godblight

Where the priest says the Emperor is coming back slowly, he's been regaining his power over all this time, but the new rift has greatly accelerated it, and it will be sooner rather than later. This may also connect to how the Lion returned. E may be prepping his return by bringing his sons back in his stead.

EotD2
We see the Emperor drink in the warp directly from within the warp itself to become super powerful for a time before he is talked out of it.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Kylaer posted:

Oll was introduced in...Know No Fear, wasn't it? Were the others introduced at the same time or did they get added later? I haven't read Know No Fear in a long time (need to remedy that but I have so many books to catch up on / reread, currently reading the Fabius Bile books which are very interesting).

The whole gang is from Calth. One of them gets killed in Mortis, in one of the few interesting scenes in the book.

The lilypads that are growing out of the heads of drowned, flowering people is one of the most viscerally disgusting things I've seen in a BL book.

I think by the end of TEATD2 Oll and John are retracing their steps to plant the threads, and possibly going backwards in time? So hopefully some real weird stuff happens.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I'll have to reread Know No Fear sooner rather than later. It's a good one, I do remember that, but damned if I can remember those other characters being in it.

Philthy posted:

EotD2

It was more like she would be able to regain her psyker power over time to blast her way out by just laying there as paste. I think this was intentional to connect to the passage in...

Very slight correction, I think it was that she could blast a little bit of rubble out of the way, the rest shifting would crush her to death, she'd regenerate and blast a little more out of the way, repeat until a very angry, utterly traumatized immortal is free once more. Otherwise I think your line of logic makes sense.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Philthy posted:

Godblight

Where the priest says the Emperor is coming back slowly, he's been regaining his power over all this time, but the new rift has greatly accelerated it, and it will be sooner rather than later. This may also connect to how the Lion returned. E may be prepping his return by bringing his sons back in his stead.

I suspect that each of them has things they need to do for him to come back. The Lion meets him as a wounded fisher king he needs to ask the right question of, for instance.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I honestly can't see them ever letting the Emperor leave the throne, that's a foundational aspect of the setting. What I can see, though, as part of the ongoing arms race (Necrons coming fully awake, tyranids arriving in even greater numbers, Ghazghkull being the Orkiest Ork that ever was, Abaddon and the Great Rift etc), is letting the Emperor have more influence at a distance, basically a stepping up of things that have already been demonstrated in the setting. More Imperial Saints, more miracles like in the Urdesh duology, more divine guidance and inspiration, more answered prayers.

The Emperor's power is finite and the Imperium's needs are infinite, but sometimes, when the moment is dire, He is there. I think that's a change the setting can stand to have :unsmith:

To quote the late Sir Terry Pratchett, in the absolute best example in fiction of a god showing character growth:
"Is one less than fifty-one?"
"It's the same."

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ok the time fast approaches so I need a definite answer: Magos before Pariah or Pariah before Magos?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kylaer posted:

I honestly can't see them ever letting the Emperor leave the throne, that's a foundational aspect of the setting. What I can see, though, as part of the ongoing arms race (Necrons coming fully awake, tyranids arriving in even greater numbers, Ghazghkull being the Orkiest Ork that ever was, Abaddon and the Great Rift etc), is letting the Emperor have more influence at a distance, basically a stepping up of things that have already been demonstrated in the setting. More Imperial Saints, more miracles like in the Urdesh duology, more divine guidance and inspiration, more answered prayers.

The Emperor's power is finite and the Imperium's needs are infinite, but sometimes, when the moment is dire, He is there. I think that's a change the setting can stand to have :unsmith:

To quote the late Sir Terry Pratchett, in the absolute best example in fiction of a god showing character growth:
"It's the same."

Great Crusade 2.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Black Griffon posted:

Ok the time fast approaches so I need a definite answer: Magos before Pariah or Pariah before Magos?

Magos before Pariah.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MariusLecter posted:

Great Crusade 2.

And then half of them turn traitor again. Let's do it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kylaer posted:

"It's the same."

I would argue that having him turn into a proper God would be the "best" outcome. Him and some of the Older Eldar Gods return to guide their races in the face of the Dark Gods and other sources of cosmic horror. Do something with Ynnari instead of ignoring it for another edition or two.

In my heart of Hearts I want the next Chaos Primarch that returns to get his head kicked off by an Avatar of Khaine, just to give the Eldar their due.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
gently caress I’d love a book to give Khaine his due, and just kick the poo poo out of a Primarch.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Him becoming a god is the Dark King. It does not go well

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Shockeh posted:

gently caress I’d love a book to give Khaine his due, and just kick the poo poo out of a Primarch.

It should be Fulgrim

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Angron getting stomped by the Avatar of Khaine would be fun, too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nah it should be Fulgrim.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I don't mind if it's the Lion. Just give me one reminder for the setting that Kaela Mensha Khaine is still, even shattered, a fuckin' literal God, who gives no fucks.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Shockeh posted:

I don't mind if it's the Lion. Just give me one reminder for the setting that Kaela Mensha Khaine is still, even shattered, a fuckin' literal God, who gives no fucks.

Minor spoilers for the Fulgrim HH book

I haven't read it for a LONG time, but I do remember feeling that Fulgrim bodied the Avatar a bit too easily. I know primarchs can murk greater daemons (see Sanginious vs keeper of secrets and bloodthirster) and technically the stats were similar to the Avatar on the tabletop, but all I remember is Fulgrim erotic choking the Avatar and burning his hands a bit.

I always thought raising the Avatar of Khaine was meant to be a huge power move on a craftworld and the literal, animated wrath of their civilisation should at least give a primarch as much of a fight as a high end custodian

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Calax posted:

I would argue that having him turn into a proper God would be the "best" outcome. Him and some of the Older Eldar Gods return to guide their races in the face of the Dark Gods and other sources of cosmic horror. Do something with Ynnari instead of ignoring it for another edition or two.

In my heart of Hearts I want the next Chaos Primarch that returns to get his head kicked off by an Avatar of Khaine, just to give the Eldar their due.

*bangs clipboard*

Pale Wasting 2 PALE WASTING 2

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

And then half of them turn traitor again. Let's do it.

Well if it worked for Star Wars, then why not Warhammer.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Well if it worked for Star Wars, then why not Warhammer.

:chloe:

I actually like the progression of the grand plot from 40K to 41K, on the whole. GW could easily screw it up, of course, and repeating the Heresy is one of the ways they could do it, but so far the plot developments have been pretty neat, an excellent progression from the "teetering 0.01 seconds from midnight" that they maintained for a decade-plus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I thought the sarcasm in my statement was obvious. :cheeky:

And I was even referring to the old Expanded Universe in that case.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I like it in general. My only fear is that the setting will become hyper focused only on named characters with everything else falling by the wayside and we see a never ending MCU-style series of story arcs where the exact same characters/primarchs/whatever bounce off each other in the fiction over and over again where nothing of significance happens. But the fact that they opened it with cracking the Imperium in half and having chaos actually achieve something was an unexpectedly good opening imo. I always really liked Abaddon as a character though, so I'm a bit biased. And I appreciate the traitor primarchs aren't just stealing the show left and right. I hope they don't just roll every loyalist primarch back into the setting though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

I thought the sarcasm in my statement was obvious. :cheeky:

And I was even referring to the old Expanded Universe in that case.

rip

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Just blitzed through Harrowmaster over the last 2 days and have come to the conclusion that Alpha Legion is fun?

For real though sometimes I think I get caught up in the overall silliness that is Warhammer as books I forget that competent writers can put out some real good stuff.

Also I know it’s been mentioned here a bunch already but everyone immediately groaning at the “I am Alpharius” bit was gold. Especially when they do it again later to the Silver Templar and he’s also just not into this dipshit pretending he’s a primarch

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Turns out that servitor was also a Perpetual, he's going to turn up, kill Horus, kill the Emperor, then be enshrined on the golden throne

Preposterous.

He's going to also smash the Throne with a box and declare the First Galactic Servitor Republic.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Wasn't it Marneus Calgar that punched an Avatar of Khaine to pieces? In a war started over a translation error?

I say let Khaine take it out of his Big Blue Dad's hide.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Avatar's of Khaine are the biggest chumps around, even in Eldar books all they do is get chumped.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NihilCredo posted:

Magos before Pariah.

Magos has a reading order that includes all the short stories. Follow that.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sextro posted:

Avatar's of Khaine are the biggest chumps around, even in Eldar books all they do is get chumped.

Not in Ciaphas Cain, where one gets orbital dropped onto a daemon and helps him annihilate it after a hell of a fight.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

mllaneza posted:

Magos has a reading order that includes all the short stories. Follow that.

But people in this very thread has said they'd do Pariah before Magos. I've got the Abnett reading order.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Arbite posted:

Not in Ciaphas Cain, where one gets orbital dropped onto a daemon and helps him annihilate it after a hell of a fight.
Point, but to be fair, I tend to read the Cain books in batches and what actually happens in them tends to be lost in a haze of itching palms and running away screaming if only I had known.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

But people in this very thread has said they'd do Pariah before Magos. I've got the Abnett reading order.

Do a random reading order and become ungovernable

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Read Pariah after Penitent so you know there's a reason to slog through it. Or just skip Pariah entirely :evilbuddy:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I read:

Eisenhorn Trilogy>Ravenor Trilogy> All of Magos>Pariah>Penitent

didn't feel like I missed out on anything and everything flowed together quite naturally, the short stories in Magos mostly just ended up as an extended flashback

also Pariah is good, don't listen to the haters

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There are Pariah haters?????

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think I've seen a single Pariah hater in this thread ever. It might have just been Kylaer back then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Paraiah and Penitent are some of the best 40k work out there. Little else makes the setting feel so drat old.