Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jisforjosh posted:

New patch really didn't do much for me performance wise. 3080 and a 9700K, GPU utilization rarely goes above 60%, FPS still regularly below 60fps regardless of quality settings. Interestingly enough, changing resolution still doesn't impact performance (1440p vs 1440 Ultrawide were within margin of error). DLSS does improve FPS but again, changing from quality to ultra performance does not increase FPS even though image quality drops ridiculously.

FG is a big help if you have a 40x0 card

I think the quality slider on DLSS is just broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

jisforjosh posted:

New patch really didn't do much for me performance wise. 3080 and a 9700K, GPU utilization rarely goes above 60%, FPS still regularly below 60fps regardless of quality settings. Interestingly enough, changing resolution still doesn't impact performance (1440p vs 1440 Ultrawide were within margin of error). DLSS does improve FPS but again, changing from quality to ultra performance does not increase FPS even though image quality drops ridiculously.

3080 Ti and a 9900K, seeing higher GPU utilization than that, usually up in the 90s. Though I haven't gotten back to the main hub at Koboh yet which is the real test (currently doing NG+ and just wrecked the imperial excavator).

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ytlaya posted:

The game is basically just about finding the OP choices. You can steamroll most levels with the big scorpion thing, since it reflects blaster fire.

some combination of droidekas and space chickens got me through the entire game no problem

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

some combination of droidekas and space chickens got me through the entire game no problem

The chickens are the biggest glass cannons in that game. But they do have a pretty hard counter if you are going up against them: the tumbleweed enemies interrupt their initial charge and kill them outright.

Droidekas and B2s are also really effective vs a pretty diverse number of enemies, especially against basically all storm troopers or B1s where their much higher accuracy and repeat fire rate will really chew through crowds.

And the scorpions will wreck pretty much anything ranged but cost a fortune to deploy for obvious reasons.

Any enemy that throws grenades will pretty much always inflict more damage on your own party than the enemy party, never use them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I won mostly with fewer, more expensive units (like the scorpions). The flame thrower troopers are very useful as well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I was a fan of the melee bounty hunter and the stormtrooper with the minigun. Pretty low cost and you could just supplement a damage sponge like one the K droids with one of each and breeze through the lower rounds so by the final match you can bust out a scorpion with Ranged Purge troopers as backup. Ranged Purge are overall the best melee counter solely because they'll actually dodge and run away from melee and are one of the only units that can keep shooting while they're moving.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Droidekas! One droideka not enough? Send more! Are they getting taken out by a suicide attack? Put some meat shields in there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not sure if anyone is interested but at the Disney parks they have the legacy lightsabers on sale (30% off). This includes the new Cal Kestis model that changes colors. Regular price is $250. Sale is 175 plus tax

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not sure if anyone is interested but at the Disney parks they have the legacy lightsabers on sale (30% off). This includes the new Cal Kestis model that changes colors. Regular price is $250. Sale is 175 plus tax

For how long? I'm gonna be in Orlando at the end of the month.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Epi Lepi posted:

For how long? I'm gonna be in Orlando at the end of the month.

Sign said October 13 I think? Also, the shop in Galaxy’s Edge doesn’t have the new Kestis model, at least as of my visit today. You gotta hit the gift shop by Star Tours.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The theory is they’re going to release all new hilts and blades because the new Ashoka set has a different, thinner setup hence the big sale but who knows

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

The Droidekas are also good, yeah, but I didn't have them unlocked when I first started doing that minigame.

My most common strategy (when there were the points for it) was to have a scorpion and minigun guys really far back. The enemies focus on the scorpion, which lets the minigun guys just let loose on them (while not worrying about hurting the scorpion due to its reflective carapace).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just got this game on steam and is the second world just a dumpster fire or something? No matter what I do, it keeps crashing/freezing at various different things. The first world was completely fine though.

I'm about to try just blitzing through to the end of the level because collecting things seems to increase the odds of me doing stuff that'll make the game freeze and crash.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Uh Jedha? It can be glitchy with RT on

DF video out on the new patch still pretty scathing

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Nah, Koboh.

I switched ray tracing off in the first level because it was just killing the framerate. I've got an RTX4060 and seem to be able to keep a decent framerate with everything on epic with the ray tracing off.

The first crash I had was killing the battle droid at the cliff face, then after that there were 3 consistent crashes when hitting one of those flowers with firefly looking things floating about them.

I dropped the graphics down to high during those 3 crashes and it made no difference.

The last carsh I had was when trying to listen to the echo at the bottom of some tar pit (in the area just before the huge dinosaur looking thing).

I've not had any crashes in the settlement so far, but I've not really done much exploring around here yet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kin posted:

Nah, Koboh.

I switched ray tracing off in the first level because it was just killing the framerate. I've got an RTX4060 and seem to be able to keep a decent framerate with everything on epic with the ray tracing off.

The first crash I had was killing the battle droid at the cliff face, then after that there were 3 consistent crashes when hitting one of those flowers with firefly looking things floating about them.

I dropped the graphics down to high during those 3 crashes and it made no difference.

The last carsh I had was when trying to listen to the echo at the bottom of some tar pit (in the area just before the huge dinosaur looking thing).

I've not had any crashes in the settlement so far, but I've not really done much exploring around here yet.

"Blitzing through" Koboh is skipping a full 50% of the game's content. The main game IS Koboh.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

50% is probably a conservative estimate tbh. If I couldn't get Koboh running well I'd probably try to refund...

It's nice they finally got consoles running at a mostly consistent 60fps, but the treatment of the PC release sounds awful and this last patch, unlike all the previous ones, didn't mention any continued optimization efforts in the future. Certainly worrying.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on it then.

After getting past that dinosaur thing, the game hasn't crashed again so there might be something dodgy with that first area.

Other than the flower things there wasn't anything consistent that caused it to crash.

Are they some kind of collectible? The first time I hit one, Cals dialogue about "needing more seeds" kicked in before the game locked up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

There’s a rooftop garden mini game they’re part of, so yeah, sort of a collectible

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I never did mess with the garden a whole lot. Is it worth it?

Are your drivers up to date and have you tried a clean reinstall? I did have some crashes as well but nothing that seemed consistent with one area.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

codo27 posted:

I never did mess with the garden a whole lot. Is it worth it?

you don't get anything out of it except a pretty garden and a sense of accomplishment, so yes it's worth it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

When you max it out you get a map upgrade telling you where the seeds you have collected yet are

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've just explored a whole bunch of additional areas around the village and haven't had any more crashes yet.

Next time I play I might tempt fate and go back to that initial area and try a few of the same things again.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

There was a little patch yesterday to fix some animation issues and supposedly clean up how bad some stuff looks without RT on, I only saw it because I was checking to see when I can preload the new WRC game

I guess I'm just out in the wilderness hoping for any more DLSS improvements

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just started this. With graphics high, RT off, DLSS on, is the game meant to look like this, or is something broken?

Like it goes back to normal when he doesn't have light falling across his face but surely that's not right for when it is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Some kind of HDR setting issue perhaps…? But no it ain’t supposed to look like that.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
That's also how it looked for me with RT off and DLSS on, it was kinda distracting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

When was the last time you updated your Geforce drivers?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ten minutes before starting the game. Update, reboot, start. 3060 Ti. Could they just have hosed it up in the latest patch?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

MikeJF posted:

Ten minutes before starting the game. Update, reboot, start. 3060 Ti. Could they just have hosed it up in the latest patch?

I mostly played the game months ago, so it wasn't the latest patch, and I kept my drivers fairly well updated the whole time as well. I had it the entire time I played, exactly as mentioned: when Cal's face/hair was directly lit in a cutscene (mostly saw this when he was standing in the center aisle in the Mantis), it turned extremely red for some reason. Looked fine in all other situations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The engine isn't occluding the sunlight correctly so it is shining through his head and illuminating his hair even where it should be in shadow, which in an evening sun like that causes it to glow red.

Edit, here is what it is supposed to look like, but requires dialing ALL graphical settings to "epic" and using RTX+DLSS:

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 25, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Got this for Christmas and am finally playing it, incredibly I've been able to avoid spoilers so I have no idea what's in store for the plucky Cal Kestis and his band of ne'er-do-wells

Also much like the first game I'm already having fun in photo mode with these lavish-rear end AAA graphics:

And hey look, that senator from the intro mission has some busts of the Zeffo:

You remember the Zeffo, right? The ancient mysterious race of aliens from the first game who....didn't really do anything or matter but Cal had random visions of them? These guys:

Hint of the plot to come or just some easy asset reuse? Probably the second one lol

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Absolutely has to be asset reuse, but good asset reuse I’d say

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dogen posted:

Absolutely has to be asset reuse, but good asset reuse I’d say

Yeah, I thought as much. The Zeffo are such an obviously filler answer to 'why are these ancient ruins around anyway' that I doubted much more would come of it in the big sequel.

Man, this game has some nice Star Wars-rear end vistas:

I haven't even met up with Greez yet, I've just been loving around killing prequel droids lol

And hey, these little dog squirrel guys are back:

Of the cute Star Wars invasive species, I'd rank them below porgs but slightly above gizka

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have realized that I can incapable of thinking the word Porgs without it sounding like a Kennedy is saying it.

"Pooorghs"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, this game has some nice Star Wars-rear end vistas:

The whole game is some Star Wars-rear end Star Wars. In a good way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wolfsheim posted:

Hint of the plot to come or just some easy asset reuse? Probably the second one lol

:allears:

Game good. Please continue to post your thoughts and feelings as you play through the story.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No matter how much I played, I never got tired of killing incredibly dumb prequel droids.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ImpAtom posted:

I have realized that I can incapable of thinking the word Porgs without it sounding like a Kennedy is saying it.

"Pooorghs"

PAWGs

https://twitter.com/statechxmps/status/614227893376446464?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

No matter how much I played, I never got tired of killing incredibly dumb prequel droids.

They did a great job with their combat and idle dialogue.