Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Roth posted:

What does the thoughtful use of slo-mo look like?

Nolan uses it as a story telling device in a lot of his films.
Dredds use was also interesting.
300 used it to bring gravitas and weight to particular scenes.

Then you have films like the resident evil series that just throw into the middle of most of the action scenes with no thought other than "looks cool" because the action scenes themselves are not interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the makers of action movies almost definitionally put a lot of thought into how to make things look cool. Isn't looking cool what action as a genre is all about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it is but I guess I didn’t think rebel moon’s fight scenes looked that cool. I really think he did slow mo better in his other films before Netflix. Maybe it’s because he’s shooting it he’s getting caught up in the moment? I don’t know.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
the Weekly Planet pointed out that A Bug's Life is a better version of seven samurai than Rebel Moon

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mega Comrade posted:

Nolan uses it as a story telling device in a lot of his films.
Dredds use was also interesting.
300 used it to bring gravitas and weight to particular scenes.

Then you have films like the resident evil series that just throw into the middle of most of the action scenes with no thought other than "looks cool" because the action scenes themselves are not interesting.

If you are making an action movie why would you not use techniques like slow motion to make the action look cool if that is your intent?

I assure you the makers of action films aren't thinking less about their shot composition and filming jusy because their intent is less thought provoking.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No Luck Needed posted:

the Weekly Planet pointed out that A Bug's Life is a better version of seven samurai than Rebel Moon

Worse than the film with the same concept created by history's greatest animation studio on the cusp of their unprecedented run of commercial and artistic success, you say?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

josh04 posted:

Worse than the film with the same concept created by history's greatest animation studio on the cusp of their unprecedented run of commercial and artistic success, you say?

Weirdest cope from both posters I've ever seen in my life

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gumball Gumption posted:

Weirdest cope from both posters I've ever seen in my life

lol, I mean I'd love for Zack Snyder to be kicking Pixar's rear end with this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Roth posted:

If you are making an action movie why would you not use techniques like slow motion to make the action look cool if that is your intent?

I assure you the makers of action films aren't thinking less about their shot composition and filming jusy because their intent is less thought provoking.

Slow-mo can be a crutch to putting together actual good action choreography. It can also make some action choreography worse.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

josh04 posted:

A Bug's Life is awesome but as it is animated it is not cinema however.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Mega Comrade posted:

Slow-mo can be a crutch to putting together actual good action choreography. It can also make some action choreography worse.

Yes like other film tools it can have a positive and negative effect. But going into a Synder film thinking all slow mo is bad and the director makes choices thoughtlessly probably isn’t the best way to approach a movie .

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No Luck Needed posted:

I find this believable. A Bug's Life is a very good movie, and it sounds like this version of Rebel Moon Part 1 is pretty heavily compromised.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

yeah but A Bug's Life is a film for children so it's bloodless and sanitised, whereas

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
It's unfair to compare Rebel Moon to a good movie is some kind of incredible take I was simply not prepared for today.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

checkplease posted:

Yes like other film tools it can have a positive and negative effect. But going into a Synder film thinking all slow mo is bad and the director makes choices thoughtlessly probably isn’t the best way to approach a movie .

No one said all slo-mo is bad

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's unfair to compare Rebel Moon to other good movies.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Papercut posted:

No one said all slo-mo is bad

Well do you have anything to say? We’ve been taking about how slow mo can be used.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My only real opinion on the movie is that it is insanely funny they intentionally put out a cut lovely version so that they can tease the real version and give you the Snyder experience even when he has full support of the studio. This current version of consuming movies is so much better then when they just came out, you watched them, and the experience was done.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Watched the first 30 mins of the Netflix Cut out of curiousity, and this is mainly a genuinely unnerving ‘Nazi home invasion’ kind of deal that recalls Inglorious Basterds. The only noticeable slow-mo was an Obviously Symbolic pouch of seeds being dropped on the ground, and the moment was clearly slowed down for emphasis on the Obviously Symbolicness (coming shortly after a big speech about how this religious community values fertility, and a subsequent smaller speech about how the protagonist is uncomfortable with the idea of ‘settling down’).

All the cinematography is better than most stuff I’ve seen this year, the score is unsettling, the editing flows seamlessly, and they have both genetically-engineered future-horses and a Chappie.

So what are people getting mad about, again? There’s absolutely nothing objectionable here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ozmunkeh posted:

It's unfair to compare Rebel Moon to a good movie is some kind of incredible take I was simply not prepared for today.

Who said it was unfair?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I want to read the original draft that the Lucasfilm execs rejected

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ozmunkeh posted:

It's not that it's an unfair comparison so much that it's praising with faint damnation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That said, if A Bug's Life ended with Hopper getting brought back to life by space hitler's force ghost then that might just elevate that film even higher.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So what are people getting mad about, again? There’s absolutely nothing objectionable here.

As always, they're getting mad about Man of Steel (2013).

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1739765155540447266?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Watched the first 30 mins of the Netflix Cut out of curiousity, and this is mainly a genuinely unnerving ‘Nazi home invasion’ kind of deal that recalls Inglorious Basterds. The only noticeable slow-mo was an Obviously Symbolic pouch of seeds being dropped on the ground, and the moment was clearly slowed down for emphasis on the Obviously Symbolicness (coming shortly after a big speech about how this religious community values fertility, and a subsequent smaller speech about how the protagonist is uncomfortable with the idea of ‘settling down’).

All the cinematography is better than most stuff I’ve seen this year, the score is unsettling, the editing flows seamlessly, and they have both genetically-engineered future-horses and a Chappie.

They're getting mad about the space nazis needing the rebel grain, apparently

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

quote:

Nolan said he’s “always believed ‘Watchmen’ was ahead of its time. The idea of a superhero team, which it so brilliantly subverts, wasn’t yet a thing in movies. It would have been fascinating to see it released post-Avengers.”

lmao, the movie industry is a joke these days. A diet of making nothing but adaptions and reboots have turned their brains into mush. They think they're producing genius by reheating comic stories from 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

checkplease posted:

Well do you have anything to say? We’ve been taking about how slow mo can be used.

I'm saying that you're strawmanning the position you're arguing against.

If you mean about the movie, for the first 45 minutes I was enjoying laughing at the Hallmark-movie level telegraphing of the emotions the viewer should be feeling, but after that it just got really boring and felt interminably long so it wasn't even fun to laugh at anymore.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's bizarre the hate this is generating, but I mean I guess what else is new. People are choosing to interpret this as "other directors are ripping off Snyder" which is obviously not what was said nor is "Snyder is the sole inspiration for every thing that comic book movies have done in the past 20 years". Seriously why can't a guy talk about another director he likes, jesus christ haha

Gumball Gumption posted:

lmao, the movie industry is a joke these days. A diet of making nothing but adaptions and reboots have turned their brains into mush. They think they're producing genius by reheating comic stories from 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

Nolan is one of a handful of directors consistently doing completely original work without relying on existing IPs (unless you consider the life story of Robert Oppenheimer an existing IP I suppose) so I don't think that particular bias would apply to him. I also don't necessarily think his comment about "brilliant subversion" equates to the entire film being genius although he clearly thinks highly of it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The problem is that the complaints are so often vague and poorly described that we often are confused what people are even talking about.

Somebody posted obvious mistakes were left in and didn't elaborate as if everyone is on the same page as them. Another person posted about the slo-mo being lazy and meaningless but didn't bother using an example from the film to elaborate their point.

Nobody's saying you can't be bored by the movie or dislike it, I couldn't stand Force Majeure at all and found it to be an excruciating two hours to sit through. But, I'm not about to confidently post vague complaints about slow pacing and get pissed off when people remain unconvinced.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
ok I don't know poo poo about any of this. here is my big review:

I watched this with a lot of this thread's complaints in mind, and I could recognise them. I dunno if I would have done if I hadn't had people make me think about it beforehand.

It was like an AI wrote it.

Regarding the I dunno big weird sky backgrounds or whatever. Nonsense, looks lovely.

There are some talky bits where its like yeah lol noone talks like that but then I live in a pleasant little village where my main complaint is the prebaked bread at budgens being a bit poo poo so I'm cool with all these people lamenting the 1000year empire loving things up. Although I kind of do live in that world actually if i think about it.

Maybe I think some of the slomo is kind of a bit incomplete cos theres supposed to be more that would sort of complement it? but its waiting for the next version? Netflix should maybe offer a feature where it speeds up the slomo to normalmo if you so desire.

I loved so many of the characters that I can absolutely see people being pissed off with not seeing more of them and I hope we do.

Like not even necessarily characters so much but some i dunno the term character dynamics? This could be in reference to this movie ripping off all sorts of other sources which yeah it does but isnt that like an homage? I liked that the soldiers left in the village weren't just a bunch of robotic rapists, they had a whole story going on there. Like it reminds me a bit of sharpe (for the brits) but also all sorts of modern iraq etc warfare movies wheres theres characters and tension between them. I though it was sold well.

The baddies trip into the village was tense and awkward as hell.

I thought there were quite a lot of establishing shots, like spaceships landing in places with the place literally names on screen. It reminded me a bit of guardians of the galaxy in that respect and I would like someone smarter to reflect on that. I suppose it could be what people dont like. as In theres no interplay on the spaceship between these disperate characters. Like no discussion about where to drive the spaceship or whose in charge.

About the grain. Like I guess assume the bad guy went to a bunch of places and demanded unreasonable things from a bunch of people just to shake things up and use his agents to follow up on the outcome and track down people that way. Like the assistant guy says, one of our dudes found this and the grabby prisoner crab robots were shown to be in the possession of other bounty hunters earlier. like maybe the mining village also got a visit, the refinery village, etc.

What I would quite like in the sequel is a shawn of the dead homage(ripoff) where kora bumps into an old buddy who settled in the mining village and marches her crew past their perfectly mirrored crew of reprobates set out to take the empire down.

I did think the end battle was a bit lame and got confused alot. But I'm not getting any younger and have been drinking even more than usual for xmas. Like it seemed like there must be a missing cut where they walked away all the other magnificent seven in their uptight neckbrace carry crabs before gunnar did his heroics so they didnt end up directly in the firing line of the ensuing shootout. Ban solo literally says this just before, move them incapacitated, but we dont see it.

Like maybe it will be a bit more like starwars in the sequel if they can have a medal ceremony and jimmy and the eagle not get one.

Overall I think its just a bit sad if everyone hates it and we dont get more things like this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I watched this with a lot of this thread's complaints in mind, and I could recognise them. I dunno if I would have done if I hadn't had people make me think about it beforehand.

Regarding the I dunno big weird sky backgrounds or whatever. Nonsense, looks lovely.

There are some talky bits where its like yeah lol noone talks like that but then I live in a pleasant little village where my main complaint is the prebaked bread at budgens being a bit poo poo so I'm cool with all these people lamenting the 1000year empire loving things up. Although I kind of do live in that world actually if i think about it.

Maybe I think some of the slomo is kind of a bit incomplete cos theres supposed to be more that would sort of complement it? but its waiting for the next version? Netflix should maybe offer a feature where it speeds up the slomo to normalmo if you so desire.

I loved so many of the characters that I can absolutely see people being pissed off with not seeing more of them and I hope we do.

Like not even necessarily characters so much but some i dunno the term character dynamics? This could be in reference to this movie ripping off all sorts of other sources which yeah it does but isnt that like an homage? I liked that the soldiers left in the village weren't just a bunch of robotic rapists, they had a whole story going on there. Like it reminds me a bit of sharpe (for the brits) but also all sorts of modern iraq etc warfare movies wheres theres characters and tension between them. I though it was sold well.

I thought there were quite a lot of establishing shots, like spaceships landing in places with the place literally names on screen. It reminded me a bit of guardians of the galaxy in that respect and I would like someone smarter to reflect on that. I suppose it could be what people dont like. as In theres no interplay on the spaceship between these disperate characters. Like no discussion about where to drive the spaceship or whose in charge.

About the grain. Like I guess assume the bad guy went to a bunch of places and demanded unreasonable things from a bunch of people just to shake things up and use his agents to follow up on the outcome and track down people that way. Like the assistant guy says, one of our dudes found this and the grabby prisoner crab robots were shown to be in the possession of other bounty hunters earlier. like maybe the mining village also got a visit, the refinery village, etc.

What I would quite like in the sequel is a shawn of the dead homage(ripoff) where kora bumps into an old buddy who settled in the mining village and marches her crew past their perfectly mirrored crew of reprobates set out to take the empire down.

I did think the end battle was a bit lame and got confused alot. But I'm not getting any younger and have been drinking even more than usual for xmas. Like it seemed like there must be a missing cut where they walked away all the other magnificent seven in their uptight neckbrace carry crabs before gunnar did his heroics so they didnt end up directly in the firing line of the ensuing shootout. Ban solo literally says this just before, move them incapacitated, but we dont see it.

Like maybe it will be a bit more like starwars in the sequel if they can have a medal ceremony and jimmy and the eagle not get one.

Overall I think its just a bit sad if everyone hates it and we dont get more things like this.

fair

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

this is cool, thanks for sharing your thoughts

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm no fan of "It's like an AI wrote it" because it wears its influences on its sleeve much like Star Wars did. People wrongly call this a Star Wars rip-off because Snyder talk about him getting rejected by Lucas Films when it's more apparent that it's a 40k rip-off so it's just some weird non-diegetic knowledge coming into the film. I guess it's a Star Wars rip-off in the way that Star Wars ripped off Flash Gordon and Hidden Fortress, but that's not what people mean. But I appreciate you posting your thoughts! The location texts that Guardians and, well, just about every spy thriller made in the last 20 years uses is a way of establishing place. With ensembles the recruitment phase of them tend to be back-to-back-to-back but since this isn't like the West or Japan, establishing these places helps fill out the universe a bit more and gives a name to the mining world and what have you.

Kind of funny you mention Magnificent Seven because that movie has a similar "getting the band together" flow that this one does. Chris and Vinn go meet these folks and they join up. Two of them even have similar recruitment action. None of them even talk to each other until they arrived at the village proper and begin to fortify it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Papercut posted:

I'm saying that you're strawmanning the position you're arguing against.

If you mean about the movie, for the first 45 minutes I was enjoying laughing at the Hallmark-movie level telegraphing of the emotions the viewer should be feeling, but after that it just got really boring and felt interminably long so it wasn't even fun to laugh at anymore.

The discussion was about approaching films understanding directors have intent. Sure, all slo mo may not be the correct word choice, but you are ignoring the rest of the discussion about how and why directors use slo mo and other tools.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jimbot posted:

I'm no fan of "It's like an AI wrote it"

Lol I just stuck that in near the start to annoy that poster that hates it cos I'm a massive wind up merchant

otherwise genuinely my thoughts

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol I just stuck that in near the start to annoy that poster that hates it cos I'm a massive wind up merchant

otherwise genuinely my thoughts

How dare you!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm about an hour in and this movie rules, it's like Snyders kingdom hearts, only his Sora doesn't have as cool a gang as goofy and Donald

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

It's bizarre the hate this is generating, but I mean I guess what else is new. People are choosing to interpret this as "other directors are ripping off Snyder" which is obviously not what was said nor is "Snyder is the sole inspiration for every thing that comic book movies have done in the past 20 years". Seriously why can't a guy talk about another director he likes, jesus christ haha

Nolan is one of a handful of directors consistently doing completely original work without relying on existing IPs (unless you consider the life story of Robert Oppenheimer an existing IP I suppose) so I don't think that particular bias would apply to him. I also don't necessarily think his comment about "brilliant subversion" equates to the entire film being genius although he clearly thinks highly of it

The brilliant subversion he's seeing is Alan Moore's work and subversion of comics and what they were doing when he was writing Watchmen. It's very goofy and shows you think overly highly of your industry and your peers if he thinks that brilliant subversion came from Snyder when its just the base concept of the work he was adapting. His entire comment is really "boy it would have been cool if Watchmen came out after the movies that remade all those comic stories its subverting and commenting on" which is nothing and has nothing to do with Snyder.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

The brilliant subversion he's seeing is Alan Moore's work and subversion of comics ands what they were doing when he was writing Watchmen. It's very goofy and shows you think overly highly of your industry and your peers if he thinks that brilliant subversion came from Snyder when its just the base concept of the work he was adapting. His entire comment is really "boy it would have been cool if Watchmen came out after the movies that remade all those comic stories its subverting and commenting on" which is nothing and has nothing to do with Snyder.

It's really wierd that you think Nolan is too stupid to seperate Moore's work from Snyders. What Nolan is referring to, that you apparently didn't catch, is that Watchmen the movie is deconstructing the superhero movie genre the exact same way Watchmen the comic deconstructed the superhero comic book genre. And to be specific, Nolan means that Watchmen the movie deconstructed the superhero movie genre as it is today back when it was released 13 years ago. Watchmen could very well have been made as a response to the Avengers (the movie) but what Nolan was particularly impressed with is that it was a response to the Avengers (the movie) 3 years before it even came out.