Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm also definitely expecting a big fight with some kind of new Demon King/proto Demon King at the end of the journey.

And if they do a big time skip at or near the end of the manga, I'd also be fine with a montage of Frieren blowing up wannabe demon kings with increasingly flashy spells and different party members at basically the same location every 100 years-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I honestly don't know if I expect a big boss fight at the end of the journey, but I definitely expect a big flashback about what happened when the Himmel's party confronted the Demon King once they get close to his castle. And I wouldn't be surprised if that flashback would serve as the big finale/climax of the story.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 22, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Somewhere along the line I must have missed one of those color illustrations that happens every so often, because the latest preview for the anime upcoming arc showed some of the mage exam characters and I was a little surprised. In particular I had always seen Ubel in my mind as all black w/ black hair and everything but when she now pops up with green hair my mind can't handle it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Somewhere along the line I must have missed one of those color illustrations that happens every so often, because the latest preview for the anime upcoming arc showed some of the mage exam characters and I was a little surprised. In particular I had always seen Ubel in my mind as all black w/ black hair and everything but when she now pops up with green hair my mind can't handle it.

Yeah, the green hair made me do a double take as well.

Also, it's a bit mean for the promo to feature Kraft like that, given that he only makes a very brief appearance at the beginning of the arc.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Yeah her green hair in the trailer broke my brain a little because I never would have imagined it to be that color.

Always figured it would be black or blood red.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It’s a pretty dark green, I don’t think its too bad. I would have preferred black for sure though. I’m very excited for this arc to get adapted, the quick intensity and violence of the mage vs mage combat is something the comic implies well enough, but should be incredible in motion.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I'm also definitely expecting a big fight with some kind of new Demon King/proto Demon King at the end of the journey.

Nah the Demon King is gone. The Demon Hero on the other hand…

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No, far worse than any of that.

The Mimic King

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sure, there's a sign out front warning of the mimic king, and detection magic confirms that this giant treasure chest is a mimic. but what if it is a real chest?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sure, there's a sign out front warning of the mimic king, and detection magic confirms that this giant treasure chest is a mimic. but what if it is a real chest?

The biggest mimic would hide the biggest grimoire

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The biggest mimic would hide the biggest grimoire

One would assume. There is an anthology chapter that has what one might consider the biggest mimic though
https://mangadex.org/chapter/fd4fde01-5441-4411-b4dd-039940eeb33d

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Xelkelvos posted:

One would assume. There is an anthology chapter that has what one might consider the biggest mimic though
https://mangadex.org/chapter/fd4fde01-5441-4411-b4dd-039940eeb33d

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Took her 80 years to finally find one.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

New Chapter!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I can't believe the Hero Himmel slayed a 10.000 meters long Serpent to save a village! Truly a feat only the one that slayed the Demon King could manage!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They Chadify'd my boy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lt. Lizard posted:

I can't believe the Hero Himmel slayed a 10.000 meters long Serpent to save a village! Truly a feat only the one that slayed the Demon King could manage!

I heard it was 100,000 meters long...

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jerkface posted:

They Chadify'd my boy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hahahahaha, perfect. The ridiculous warhammer-esque eisen in particular

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did I get this mixed up with a different manga, I thought they didn't end up slaying the Demon King in the end?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the heck would a serpent being 10 or 100 or 200 or 1000 meters long matter anyway

past a certain point it's just a giant tail that can't see people walking up to smack it with an axe for 90% of its length

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Did I get this mixed up with a different manga, I thought they didn't end up slaying the Demon King in the end?

Nah you're mixing it up with a different manga, they pretty definitely killed the Demon Lord

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

RareAcumen posted:

You might be thinking of Versus, they didnt even kill a demon lord let alone the king of all the demons

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the heck would a serpent being 10 or 100 or 200 or 1000 meters long matter anyway

past a certain point it's just a giant tail that can't see people walking up to smack it with an axe for 90% of its length

Because it's more impressive to kill a long snake than a short one

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

VideoWitch posted:

Nah you're mixing it up with a different manga, they pretty definitely killed the Demon Lord

We still haven't really seen any actual verification of that.
I really want to know what exactly happened there. I presume they didn't just enter the castle, put a sword in his heart and leave without exchanging words.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

Must've been thinking about how Himmel wasn't the King Arthur/Link destined hero to pull out the legendary sword and got that conflated.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

We still haven't really seen any actual verification of that.
I really want to know what exactly happened there. I presume they didn't just enter the castle, put a sword in his heart and leave without exchanging words.

tbh the deal with demon king and what happened at the castle is likely heavily wrapped up with the nature of demons and that of aureole as well

which is to say we ain't gettin poo poo outside of small hints until they actually get there

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

There's definitely more to do with the fight with the Demon King then we've been shown but I'm confident he's dead on the grounds that him being secretly alive would be deeply unsatisfying for how Frieren is as a story

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
She absolutely said "killed" (korosu) in episode 3 of the show (the Zoltraak story). I assume someone's double-checked the raws of that chapter too.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

oh yeah, demon king's dead. we just aren't getting many details about how that happened or who/what he was for a long time

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well he appearntly wanted coexistence. But his desire for that led to him and his forces killing tons of people over a 1000 years or so.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

He was making the mother of all understanding omelets

absolutely perfect

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

I like how much they changed Heiter. Hell they didn't even make him look corrupt anymore!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he appearntly wanted coexistence. But his desire for that led to him and his forces killing tons of people over a 1000 years or so.

My guess is they talked no jutsiu'd the demon king into killing himself because he was clearly loving up his goal of coexistence and the best he could do now to show contrition was suicide. It would mirror that Himmel never got the hero sword but he still was able to be the hero. They made their own story that didn't fit neatly into legends.

Heck it would be a neat twist on everything we learned about demons for this entire story. Every demon has acted like a beast in some way, they finally get to the demon king and he genuinely wants to coexist and not be a beast. He just doesn't know how and proves his ideals with his own death. Frieren gets to wrestle with the idea that demons can be capable of not being assholes, but from a human and elf perspective it is probably better to kill all the demons anyway since they are such a threat.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Donkringel posted:

I like how much they changed Heiter. Hell they didn't even make him look corrupt anymore!

My guess is they talked no jutsiu'd the demon king into killing himself because he was clearly loving up his goal of coexistence and the best he could do now to show contrition was suicide. It would mirror that Himmel never got the hero sword but he still was able to be the hero. They made their own story that didn't fit neatly into legends.

Heck it would be a neat twist on everything we learned about demons for this entire story. Every demon has acted like a beast in some way, they finally get to the demon king and he genuinely wants to coexist and not be a beast. He just doesn't know how and proves his ideals with his own death. Frieren gets to wrestle with the idea that demons can be capable of not being assholes, but from a human and elf perspective it is probably better to kill all the demons anyway since they are such a threat.

That would all be undermined by the future vision/time travel and his ensuring the prosperity of demons 1000 years in the future.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

LostRook posted:

That would all be undermined by the future vision/time travel and his ensuring the prosperity of demons 1000 years in the future.

Where did we get that piece of information again? Was it the latest arc or somewhere earlier?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I think it's a reference to Demon King Leto II

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That makes Flamme an Atreides

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Snakes use scent, infrared (heat radiation) and vibrations to sense, in addition to having eyes. Really, a 10m-long serpent having eyes is not only total overkill, it's probably more dangerous than a 100m long one, since it can react faster and strangle you in the time the 100m-serpent needs to even register the pain of you hitting it in the tail.

The perfect serpent slayer would hover over the ground, be utterly silent, smell like nothing and match the background temperature around it perfectly, always.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Where did we get that piece of information again? Was it the latest arc or somewhere earlier?

It first came up in Macht's flashback, then again in the most recent arc when the demons are speaking to one another prior to the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Donkringel posted:

I think Heiter turned into a woman.

Also I doubt the Demon King killed himself. It sounds like he was like Macht, and just could not grasp the contradictions in his views.