Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

*3d prints widget*
*inserts widget into machine*
*widget breaks or melts 'cos it's completely the wrong material for the job*
*aircraft carrier sinks*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Backyard blast furnaces without the engagement of the masses

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

love 2 spend 8 hours waiting for my widget to be 3D printed, then another 5 hours deburring and sanding it because the surface finish is dogshit.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I feel like I somehow completely missed Dumb Influencer Clickbait poo poo x MIC Grift as a YouTube genre

"what it's like to do state terror on defenseless people"

[citation needed]!

so powerful it doesn't work and needs to be replaced immediately according to every single available ad space in the dc metro system

and my personal favorite

yeah i would prefer to not experience that actually

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

*3d prints widget*
*inserts widget into machine*
*widget breaks or melts 'cos it's completely the wrong material for the job*
*aircraft carrier sinks*

3D printed parts made by the lowest bidder using the finest tools from alibaba. Coming soon to all your critical systems and aircraft. Oh baby.

Guessing we'll have more F35s and ospreys lawn dart in the coming years. Well, more than currently. Hopefully no subs lost at sea without a trace.

Imagine 3D printed elevator parts. Would you ride it several floors up on a daily basis?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

How much longer could it take to 3d print parts than it would be to have a manufacturer make them? Surely it would be very time efficient in a hot war when we need to replace them immediately

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

lol their using Exone for this? dead on arrival, exone uses a binder jetting technology which binds metal powder together with a adhesive agent. this creates a green part which will then need to be sintered in a high temp oven. sounds great, except the technology can’t hit the tolerances required for end use parts without further machining, also the Exone binder jetting technology has non linear shrinkage when you sinter the part causing un predictable shrinkage and deformation, can’t make parts bigger than Oreo without catastrophic loss in yield.

3d printing isn’t a magic box that will spit out final parts, just another tool in a machine shop.

most serious 3d printing application for the military or commercial side don’t use lovely table top fdm technology. Most are direct metal printing using multi thousand watt lasers or polymer powder fusion again with lasers which will make parts from engineering plastics which people actually use for manufacturing.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Dec 26, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Even the way they describe this is funny

quote:

According to Matt Sermon, executive director of Program Executive Office Strategic Submarines, this plan will help Navy contractors – many of whom are the sole sources of components to the Navy – by removing pressure as they struggle to keep up with the current workload.

Unfortunately our precious grifters are unable to fulfill even their basic obligations to produce functional equipment and adequate spare parts the poor babies so we will 3d print trash that doesn't work so they don't have to worry about it and can keep collecting those fat paychecks regardless

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

dads friend steve posted:

love 2 spend 8 hours waiting for my widget to be 3D printed, then another 5 hours deburring and sanding it because the surface finish is dogshit.

well if each 3d print piece takes eight hours, then assuming no maintenance downtime because capitalists won't give it any, that works out to about 1100 widgets per year, three times current production of widgets like the SM-6 which will be critically needed in the coming years

totally a win for the military

wait, I'm getting reports that the 3d printers are not in fact 100% reliable and cannot in fact print entire missiles at a go

hm

well, nothing a few trillion more dollars won't fix, and they won't need the missile production lines they'll have already shut down in the meantime, I'm sure

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Maybe efficiency can be improved with an app to sell 3D printer time on the open market.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Crow posted:

Maybe efficiency can be improved with an app to sell 3D printer time on the open market.

Mmm "printer dash", the app for aspiring DIY western militaries. Delicate critical systems components carefully delivered to your door by bicycle couriers who have only the gentlest touch.

Did your missile work? Please consider leaving a 5 star review.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
US Military to hire backyard swordsmiths to forge new ship hulls.

edit: US Military to recruit United States peasants as BYOWP (bring your own weapon platform) levies.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Got an ali link for the 3d print material?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

US Armory Department of Strategic Maker Spaces

if this thread did title changes :golfclap:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Got an ali link for the 3d print material?

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-3d-print-services.html

This isn't my area of expertise just the first link I found.

Change the search to "3D printer" and you'll get devices.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cremieuxrecueil/status/1739700367342899241?t=lJXDY-QeCWRlcy_f4v7DIw&s=19

Orbital launch "attempts" and not counting successes is hilarious cope

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

With AWS Elastic Maker Family, you can take advantage of flexible pay-as-you-go pricing to reduce time-to-realization (TTR) while paying for only the material and machine time that you actually use. For predictable workloads, you can take advantage of Reserved Spaces. By pre-paying for your Elastic Maker Family shop time in 1-, 3-, and 5-year contract periods, you can realize up to 65% cost savings. And for jobs that can tolerate interruptions and be manufactured on a variety of machines, we also support Spot pricing. Now generally available in all regions and in AWS GovCloud.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

With AWS Elastic Maker Family, you can take advantage of flexible pay-as-you-go pricing to reduce time-to-realization (TTR) while paying for only the material and machine time that you actually use. For predictable workloads, you can take advantage of Reserved Spaces. By pre-paying for your Elastic Maker Family shop time in 1-, 3-, and 5-year contract periods, you can realize up to 65% cost savings. And for jobs that can tolerate interruptions and be manufactured on a variety of machines, we also support Spot pricing. Now generally available in all regions and in AWS GovCloud.

Uh, can you jimmy me up a squadron of them B-21 raiders sonny? I need them by next month for a USAF contract by the local base commander.

Also I can't get any titanium so we're going to use aluminium.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Includes SpaceX blowing up a shuttle every other week? :thunk:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

Includes SpaceX blowing up a shuttle every other week? :thunk:

I think their source data was wikipedia and it doesn't include any of those, no.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

I feel like I somehow completely missed Dumb Influencer Clickbait poo poo x MIC Grift as a YouTube genre

"what it's like to do state terror on defenseless people"

[citation needed]!

so powerful it doesn't work and needs to be replaced immediately according to every single available ad space in the dc metro system

and my personal favorite

I briefly attempted college before going to technical school instead, and in one of the poli sci courses I took I remember the professor saying completely seriously that the US does not produce political propaganda and that it is actually illegal to do so here

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

and my personal favorite

https://www.g2mil.com/scandal.htm

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
V-22 Osprey, now with bonus 3D printed parts to add a touch of extra excitement to your aerial journey.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

the Charlie Brown century

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Getting yelled at by my supervisor for buying an injection molding machine and a few equivalent widget price of mold tooling because "I'm not being a team player on additive" despite my process having thousands of times more throughput

3d printing is.... not something you use for scale and the fact they *need* to use it for JIT spare submarine parts is more of an indictment of the supply chain than it is a super duper technological innovation.

Seconding binder jetting is dog poo poo too, I had a bunch of parts made using multiple processes and generally direct metal laser sintering was pretty good, not perfect but serviceable (typical oblong holes but those could be drilled out etc) but binder jetting was absolutely useless and every single part was hosed up in some way.

I still like the technology though, it's perfect for one-off stuff or little jigs/fixtures etc

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Dec 27, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol yeah. when even the civilian drone swarms can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1KBu6H6BM

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

I briefly attempted college before going to technical school instead, and in one of the poli sci courses I took I remember the professor saying completely seriously that the US does not produce political propaganda and that it is actually illegal to do so here

well yeah he's getting paid to say that

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Outside of the US shot tons of spy satellites and still can't help Ukraine win the war, what else can you read from this picture?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Outside of the US shot tons of spy satellites and still can't help Ukraine win the war, what else can you read from this picture?

Satellites yes, shells no.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Most of these are SpaceX+Starlink launches right?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DancingShade posted:

Satellites yes, shells no.

We refit the cannons to fire satellites instead. Bing bong, so simple.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hey man without all those satellites you wouldn't be able to access your fap tabs anywhere in the world, have some respect

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
I'm hearing a lot of anti-Space-X talk in this thread. Space-X is amazing if you give any shits at all about spaceflight, the ability to land and reuse the first stage is a revolutionary technology. I have very few good things to say about Elon Musk but his money has done great things for space exploration when it was given to the right people. Please keep funding the scientists and engineers at Space-X even if we decide to kill Elon.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

considering what happened in ukraine it turns out that all the satellites in the world doesn't help against

a) trees
b) dirt
c) your proxies lying with a straight face that all they have to do is flash their german cat and the asiatic hordes will turn tail and flee

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BearsBearsBears posted:

I'm hearing a lot of anti-Space-X talk in this thread. Space-X is amazing if you give any shits at all about spaceflight, the ability to land and reuse the first stage is a revolutionary technology. I have very few good things to say about Elon Musk but his money has done great things for space exploration when it was given to the right people. Please keep funding the scientists and engineers at Space-X even if we decide to kill Elon.
when we take over, we are absolutely going to cut funding to spacex, sorry.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

One day China will be exploring the solar system while billionaire rocket companies are still trying to optimize their funding circle jerks. China doesn't seem to hold a grudge so they'll probably let us send an astronaut along occasionally though. We can make a big deal about the first American to stand on mars/etc.

Scifi was always too optimistic about corporate greed sending us to space. It will always be more efficient to just focus on scams that don't have to chase difficult material reality.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean I'm sure there's someone on Musk's payroll who would love to be part of a way less lovely space program.

The good thing about scientists, is that they don't need to be attached to some guy's name to do good: what they need is to be attached to an organization/economic system that isn't completely feckless and doesn't destroy 90-95% of their effort.

Edit: So like I dunno maybe NASA will get a bone one of these days.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Dec 27, 2023

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Wow, so much data!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive. You must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge but concrete and profitable applications as well.