Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

To add with the heavy bolter, as your BS goes up the chance to hit the middle lane increases. Even without going all out with officer cheese you can get 90%+ chance of the middle lane easily, meaning your burst attacks are actually doing the single target attack RoF times. Add any on hit or flat +damage bonuses and you can easily get near triple digits per bullet.

Having a bolter as back up is handy for a weapon with decent damage per shot for versatility stacking (assuming they fix the bug where burst fire adds two versatility per shot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Further Reading posted:

To add with the heavy bolter, as your BS goes up the chance to hit the middle lane increases. Even without going all out with officer cheese you can get 90%+ chance of the middle lane easily, meaning your burst attacks are actually doing the single target attack RoF times. Add any on hit or flat +damage bonuses and you can easily get near triple digits per bullet.

Having a bolter as back up is handy for a weapon with decent damage per shot for versatility stacking (assuming they fix the bug where burst fire adds two versatility per shot).

Bolters also have good penetration, so you'll likely overpenetrate and hit things behind your target.

Just tank things.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Even bigger than the extra-versatility from bursts issue is the fact that any kind of bonus that switches control back to the Arch-Militant means they can use all their abilities again. In theory, Wildfire should give them one extra attack per round and Steady Superiority should give them one extra attack per round.
But if an officer uses Take Them Down to give them 2 AP then they get to attack once using those, but they also get a free burst from Steady Superiority and another from Wildfire. Then control switches back to the officer who uses Move Move Move! to switch control back to the arch-militant who in theory shouldn't be able to attack at all, but they get a free burst from Steady Superiority and another from Wildfire. Total 5 bursts. Then the other officer does the same thing. All this murder has given enough Momentum for a Finest Hour in which they fire ~5 more bursts. And then they finally take their actual turn...

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Even bigger than the extra-versatility from bursts issue is the fact that any kind of bonus that switches control back to the Arch-Militant means they can use all their abilities again. In theory, Wildfire should give them one extra attack per round and Steady Superiority should give them one extra attack per round.
But if an officer uses Take Them Down to give them 2 AP then they get to attack once using those, but they also get a free burst from Steady Superiority and another from Wildfire. Then control switches back to the officer who uses Move Move Move! to switch control back to the arch-militant who in theory shouldn't be able to attack at all, but they get a free burst from Steady Superiority and another from Wildfire. Total 5 bursts. Then the other officer does the same thing. All this murder has given enough Momentum for a Finest Hour in which they fire ~5 more bursts. And then they finally take their actual turn...

waht the hell are you fighting that argenta gets her actual turn

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Rogue Trader Hard mode is just not bringing Cassia.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I won't link it here because I'm not sure if an embed will spoil it, but SlanderedGaming has a new video about a secret character for dogmatic/iconoclast players. It's Chorda but it seems like she's just a terribly optimised Argenta with nothing really unique.

In the comments someone mentions that the heretic one can summon a daemon apparently? I know the pure iconoclast one is Winterscale but I don't know anything about him.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

KM/Wrath had a difficulty vs tedium issue where you can overcome most problems by just tediously layering buffs before every fight, but it was a lovely way to play. It's why I hated some of the recommended online builds which got you crazy ac, saves, and damage by building around buffs to the degree that they were required.

RT has its own version with extra turn stacking and some of the tedious buffs like grand strategist zone shenanigans. You can definitely break the game over your knee, but I don't find it fun or interesting.

I tended to find my own path on builds in KM/Wrath so I avoided what I didn't like, but the build space is so much narrower here I feel like I'm really pushing against the design to do anything else.

The more I play the more I've been enjoying the other aspects of the game though. I hope Owlcat has a big enough team to have both another Pathfinder game (hopefully 2e) in dev alongside a RT sequel.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zodium posted:

waht the hell are you fighting that argenta gets her actual turn

I stacked her Agility super high so she gets her turn just after Cassia (grand strategist) and before any enemies. It's mostly only useful when there's two big blobs of enemies widely separated from each other and you can't shoot one of them from where you start.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Further Reading posted:

I won't link it here because I'm not sure if an embed will spoil it, but SlanderedGaming has a new video about a secret character for dogmatic/iconoclast players. It's Chorda but it seems like she's just a terribly optimised Argenta with nothing really unique.

In the comments someone mentions that the heretic one can summon a daemon apparently? I know the pure iconoclast one is Winterscale but I don't know anything about him.

Winterscale is also gettable if you're a heretic. I killed him though, but he is an Officer so that could be useful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I criticized Jae's arc in a previous post, but this time I accidentally slept with her after the drinking party (as opposed to a professional 65/35 split of the bed, my way) and alright, this stuff is pretty funny. Asking about gifts has been fun so far:

Pasqal: Servitorize her, though you should just shoot her for her tech heresy.
Yrliet: Ugh. Mon-keigh and their silly materialistic expressions. So primitive.

Also she gets you a cat, so this game passes the 'can you pet the animal' test.
:allears:

FuzzySlippers posted:

KM/Wrath had a difficulty vs tedium issue where you can overcome most problems by just tediously layering buffs before every fight, but it was a lovely way to play. It's why I hated some of the recommended online builds which got you crazy ac, saves, and damage by building around buffs to the degree that they were required.

RT has its own version with extra turn stacking and some of the tedious buffs like grand strategist zone shenanigans. You can definitely break the game over your knee, but I don't find it fun or interesting.

I tended to find my own path on builds in KM/Wrath so I avoided what I didn't like, but the build space is so much narrower here I feel like I'm really pushing against the design to do anything else.

The more I play the more I've been enjoying the other aspects of the game though. I hope Owlcat has a big enough team to have both another Pathfinder game (hopefully 2e) in dev alongside a RT sequel.

I'll admit I actually like the turn economy shinanigans in RT, compared to the "buffbot/bubblebuffs is a required mod" status of KM/Wrath, if only because it plays much closer to the leader fantasy the Officer/Master Tactician/Grand Strategist archtypes are trying to portray. I've always preferred either "tanky frontline main character syndrome" classes or "charismatic makes everyone better" classes in my RPGs. I think RT is one of the better implementations of the latter because it gives that feeling of directing your troops via Bring it Down and your various commands. The only thing my trader does herself is body block with her high WS to keep melee off the ranged characters, and shoot the occasional straggler with Finish the Job. Otherwise she's just yelling out commands and tactics at Argenta, Abelard, Yrliet, and Cassia.

Which I think perfectly fits the Rogue Trader fantasy. It's definitely nice that this archtype is extremely strong, because I'm pretty sure I'd feel cheated if it was underpowered. Cutting back the power is probably in order, but I hope they're careful in the pruning and don't accidentally kill what might be the most iconic Rogue Trader class fantasy.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

FuzzySlippers posted:

Well you’re in for some disappointment

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So far the only one of my companions to give useful and sincere advice on Jae's gift is Heinrix, of all people. Runner up is Idira, but she's projecting so hard that I think she may have grown a Navigator eye in the process.

Everyone else has been either veiled distaste or outright scorn. :allears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For Jae's companion quest, the quest log indicates that you can find one of the seals on the black market, but I can't figure out any way to do that. All the online guides just say to just grab the seal from a Winterscale planet instead.

FuzzySlippers posted:

2 things which may have ended the Pathfinder plans.

WOTC made an attempt to revoke their OGL, which would have nuked every single d20 system game that was spun off of that traditional DnD concept. It may have not been legal in the slightest and they walked it back but it spooked the community something fierce.

Paizo allegedly only wants 2nd edition PF stuff moving forward, and Owlcat have no interest in designing a new d20 game system from scratch.

Now Owlcat have a proof of concept d10 turn based system which gives them tons of IP option deals, and with BG3 being such a huge hit they're probably some of the front-runners for publishers looking for a BG3-style game experience. Not to mention doing any of the other W40k game systems like Dark Heresy(PC as Inquisitor), Deathwatch(PC as Space Marine), or even something new like an adaption of Warhammer Fantasy.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 27, 2023

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Supposing I let Argenta rip a burst into Idira when she consorted with demon-Theodora, should I have held off for some interesting dialogue?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Kei Technical posted:

Supposing I let Argenta rip a burst into Idira when she consorted with demon-Theodora, should I have held off for some interesting dialogue?

I spared Idira ... and never really talked to her on the ship again. It was kinda weird, not too much interactivity available once you do her in.

Also, just finished the game - despite being a buggy mess, it's my GOTY.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to complete Argenta's follower thingy in Act 2? I can't find the system in question.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"Praise the Emperor, faithful souls! The darkness around us may be fierce, but the blaze in our hearts is fiercer still! Evil will burn!" And with that, hundreds of people cheered and... pulled out knives and carved Aquila symbols into their faces. :stare:

pentyne posted:

For Jae's companion quest, the quest log indicates that you can find one of the seals on the black market, but I can't figure out any way to do that. All the online guides just say to just grab the seal from a Winterscale planet instead.

2 things which may have ended the Pathfinder plans.

WOTC made an attempt to revoke their OGL, which would have nuked every single d20 system game that was spun off of that traditional DnD concept. It may have not been legal in the slightest and they walked it back but it spooked the community something fierce.

Paizo allegedly only wants 2nd edition PF stuff moving forward, and Owlcat have no interest in designing a new d20 game system from scratch.

Now Owlcat have a proof of concept d10 turn based system which gives them tons of IP option deals, and with BG3 being such a huge hit they're probably some of the front-runners for publishers looking for a BG3-style game experience. Not to mention doing any of the other W40k game systems like Dark Heresy(PC as Inquisitor), Deathwatch(PC as Space Marine), or even something new like an adaption of Warhammer Fantasy.

Someone said "Only War" would be impractical to adapt, and I hope one of the Owlcat decisionmakers reads this thread and goes, "Ok bet. Lets make a CRPG where you're in charge of a squad of Guardsmen and need to somehow thread the needle between dying on the front line and being shot by your superior officers."

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to complete Argenta's follower thingy in Act 2? I can't find the system in question.

I don't think so. Pretty sure finding the system is a mid-to-late Act 4 deal.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Welp, I got to act 4 and everything broke immediately. :v:

Every time I move the ship I get the same report from my advisors about what happened while I was gone. Then I spawn in my shrine room in a sitting pose, unable to interact with it.
Then I got a scene where, presumably, Heinrix, Argenta and Yrliet leave. But they're still in my party.
While I was gone my crew has also apparently fallen to chaos, as if my actions in Comorragh had direct effects on my people in realspace.
The last thing that happened before I gave up was getting completely stuck in combat, unable to move in any way. Which also extended beyond the encounter.

I wonder if my save is hosed or if the next few patches can fix it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I have no attachment to the Pathfinder universe (only experienced it through their two games) so I'm really just hoping Owlcat develops several games at once which includes some non-Warhammer stuff. I like RT, but I'd like to see some more chill fantasy stuff too. Even WH non-40k just feels the need to be so grim grim and sometimes you wanna get high with hobbits in a tavern. I do hope they do a better job in the future with developing their RPG systems because RT is such a letdown for builds after their Pathfinder implementation.

Warmachine posted:

I'll admit I actually like the turn economy shinanigans in RT, compared to the "buffbot/bubblebuffs is a required mod" status of KM/Wrath, if only because it plays much closer to the leader fantasy the Officer/Master Tactician/Grand Strategist archtypes are trying to portray. I've always preferred either "tanky frontline main character syndrome" classes or "charismatic makes everyone better" classes in my RPGs. I think RT is one of the better implementations of the latter because it gives that feeling of directing your troops via Bring it Down and your various commands. The only thing my trader does herself is body block with her high WS to keep melee off the ranged characters, and shoot the occasional straggler with Finish the Job. Otherwise she's just yelling out commands and tactics at Argenta, Abelard, Yrliet, and Cassia.

I like the idea of an extra turn granting buff officer class and I agree it serves that fantasy well, but I dislike how it feels like such a dominant strategy. I wish there were comparable alternatives and that most of the t2 classes weren't so bloody tedious like moving your zones around as a grand strategist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like the Officer a lot but yeah, it would've been nice if they toned it down so that enemies got to have an occasional single turn maybe.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

owlcat just really wants you to hyperspecialize. one awareness guy, one medicae guy, one logic guy, and one fighty guy.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

On the note of extra turns, I noticed that the officer "Sieze the Initiative" talent isn't available at Exemplar.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

pentyne posted:

For Jae's companion quest, the quest log indicates that you can find one of the seals on the black market, but I can't figure out any way to do that.

I got it at a specific side-location after scanning - a bunch of non-hostile junkers in an old ship had one. There was also a seal in a bunker on a planet with winds that strip your health, but I reloaded and never went back there.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

grobbo posted:

I got it at a specific side-location after scanning - a bunch of non-hostile junkers in an old ship had one. There was also a seal in a bunker on a planet with winds that strip your health, but I reloaded and never went back there.

It's really much easier than it seems.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Apologies if someone answered this before but is there a way to see from the map where you have extractors or not?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Apologies if someone answered this before but is there a way to see from the map where you have extractors or not?

Nope.

It sucks.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Dammit, I'm 3 points off level 4 Heretic and keep finding stuff that requires level 4 Heresy to trigger in Act 4.

I think I only grabbed one non-heretic option in the past and I've done a ton of side stuff. Seems like you really gotta focus hard on this stuff to be ready when it starts to matter.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Further Reading posted:

Dammit, I'm 3 points off level 4 Heretic and keep finding stuff that requires level 4 Heresy to trigger in Act 4.

I think I only grabbed one non-heretic option in the past and I've done a ton of side stuff. Seems like you really gotta focus hard on this stuff to be ready when it starts to matter.

Yeah it is a rel shame. It kinda feels like they were banking on the dlc or unfinished content to let you raise the final levels because as far as I know I had raised iconoclast as much as I could but I was still missing a bunch.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I cheated up to just below level 4 right after ending act 3, and the ride from 4 to 5 has been smooth and pretty good. I think they just overestimated your alignment point gain during act 3.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah I gave myself a few points too. I'm tempted to go back to before I killed Winterscale to see what the fanatical heretic option does there.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Further Reading posted:

Yeah I gave myself a few points too. I'm tempted to go back to before I killed Winterscale to see what the fanatical heretic option does there.

Almost certainly lets you recruit him

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They did say one of the adjustments they're gonna do is increase alignment rewards across the board.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

You can open the inventory screen sincet hyare in tab 'other', but there is no direct indicator like in the resource bar on the top

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

They did say one of the adjustments they're gonna do is increase alignment rewards across the board.

Excellent! I'll feel less bad about ToyBoxing this. Not that I haven't already heavily ToyBoxed my second playthrough.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

pentyne posted:

I can't remember what system it's in, but there's a group of spaceship scavengers you can find who have the seal and can give it to you for free. Don't remember the system, but they were really chill and there was a pretty interesting conversation with the lead scavenger. I remember that Yrliet actually almost liked her.

Hubbert posted:

I spared Idira ... and never really talked to her on the ship again. It was kinda weird, not too much interactivity available once you do her in.

Also, just finished the game - despite being a buggy mess, it's my GOTY.

Pretty sure your game is bugging out-after bringing her to Commoragh she has a whole arc there, and a quest in Act 4.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was flipping through Adeptus Ridiculous because I have a lot of catching up to do between 3rd/4th Edition and today, and after watching their Rogue Traders episode, I feel like there's a new thread title in there we can just keep in the pocket if the current one (an excellent one) ever grows stale:

Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader: Not to worry, I have a permit

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I got to the point in my heretic playthrough where my dogmatic companions have enough of my poo poo. Goodbye burst argenta, hello burst mercenary. I think I get the heretic secret character next so looking forward to see if his deal would let him replace her, but I think I read somewhere that he's an operative psyker?

My Cassia quest broke in Act 4. I tried using toybox to give me completion criteria but it still doesn't continue.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I was flipping through Adeptus Ridiculous because I have a lot of catching up to do between 3rd/4th Edition and today, and after watching their Rogue Traders episode, I feel like there's a new thread title in there we can just keep in the pocket if the current one (an excellent one) ever grows stale:

Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader: Not to worry, I have a permit

Yeah, some jokes work too well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warrant of Trade posted:

This dude and his family can do whatever they want.

- James E. Space, Seriously-I'm-Not-A-God Emperor

Fixed it for you :colbert:

But seriously, nice art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Screw the Lex Imperialis, I have a Really Big Paper