Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I got 50 nintendbucks for Christmas as well and bought a voucher pack. Got smash with the first one and having never really played it before it's got quite the learning curve. Not sure what to get with the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pumpkin 4

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

H110Hawk posted:

I got 50 nintendbucks for Christmas as well and bought a voucher pack. Got smash with the first one and having never really played it before it's got quite the learning curve. Not sure what to get with the second one.

An embarrassment of riches, spoiled for choice

Zelda or Kart probably, but it depends what you like

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't know that Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy is coming out which includes,

Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice
Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright:: Spirit of Justice

I already have Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy which includes,

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations

I also have The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.

Would I basically have every Phoenix Wright game at this point?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I have Kart and dislike Zelda. Played the Pikmin 4 demo and it's not for me - I don't like dealing with the timer element of it. ("daytime") Not in a rush to spend it, but excited to have it. Last years game was a total bust, turns out I misunderstood what Luigi's Mansion is and it's awful. Kirby return to dreamland and yoshi's crafted world are the most recent hits.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Those are definitely some opinions

How about Fire Emblem or Mario Wonder

Definitely Odyssey if you don't have it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

H110Hawk posted:

I have Kart and dislike Zelda. Played the Pikmin 4 demo and it's not for me - I don't like dealing with the timer element of it. ("daytime") Not in a rush to spend it, but excited to have it. Last years game was a total bust, turns out I misunderstood what Luigi's Mansion is and it's awful. Kirby return to dreamland and yoshi's crafted world are the most recent hits.

what the h*ck

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Only missing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth of Western releases, and also Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (which didn't leave Japan, but does have a translation patch). None of those are on Switch, anyway. (PLvPW is 3DS, AAI 1&2 are DS)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

obi_ant posted:

I didn't know that Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy is coming out which includes,

aside from the spin-offs yes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

obi_ant posted:

At this point the only AA games that aren't widely ported are all in spinoff territory.

Investigations (has an IOS port)
The Professor Layton crossover (still in 3DS jail)
Investigations 2 (not available in English at all other than the fan TL patch)

If you need sour grapes the first two are considered kinda mid. People really like Investigations 2 but I'm not sure if it's that thing where the one untranslated game gets overhyped because it's relatively obscure.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 27, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mycot posted:

People really like Investigations 2 but I'm not sure if it's that thing where the one untranslated game gets overhyped because it's relatively obscure.

It is not that thing

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Someone take this poster’s Switch away

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regy Rusty posted:

It is not that thing
I really should get around to playing it and Investigations 1, I just keep putting it off because I want to do a replay of the original trilogy first and then I forget.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

what did you think Luigi's Mansion was out of curiosity

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

symbolic posted:

what did you think Luigi's Mansion was out of curiosity

A bordello simulator

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought it was Luigi's Manson and you had to serial kill people

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I thought it was Luigi's Manson and you had to serial kill people

Tecmos Deception with luigi?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

H110Hawk posted:

Get a wario ware

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Soulslike Luigi’s Mansion

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Luigi's Castle (Doctrine)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

obi_ant posted:

Unfortunately Capcom hasn't ported the Investigations games (or even officially localized the second one), and Layton vs. Wright is technically a Level-5 game and still locked on the 3DS.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

mycot posted:

At this point the only AA games that aren't widely ported are all in spinoff territory.

Investigations (has an IOS port)
The Professor Layton crossover (still in 3DS jail)
Investigations 2 (not available in English at all other than the fan TL patch)

If you need sour grapes the first two are considered kinda mid. People really like Investigations 2 but I'm not sure if it's that thing where the one untranslated game gets overhyped because it's relatively obscure.

It's not overhyped, Investigations 2 is at worst the second-best game in the entire franchise. It's so good, and it's such a shame they haven't officially brought it over.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
AAI:MW isn't really that terrible that its quality alone led to poor sales in the West (I think there's some other factors in play, like Apollo Justice getting a cool reception before it), but the final case getting dragged out the way it does sure didn't do the game any extra favors. Which makes it even more of a shame that the sequel's story is a major improvement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

maybeadracula posted:

A bordello simulator

Not sure whether to picture the Simpsons burlesque house or Luigi as Hugh Hefner.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Manoueverable posted:

It's not overhyped, Investigations 2 is at worst the second-best game in the entire franchise. It's so good, and it's such a shame they haven't officially brought it over.
I'm on the last case of Investigations 2 and the game's honestly been kind of mid for an AA game so far. It's picked up a bit literally this case, but I don't think it's going to be enough to make this the best, or even second-best, AA game in my books.

I loathed Judge Courtney so much throughout the early cases I dreaded seeing her show up. Debeste is pretty good, but he should've dumped that anchor. There was a point where I literally breathed a sigh of relief when an unattributed dialog line (for a character who was entering the scene) turned out to be Franziska when I expected Courtney.

Hogama posted:

AAI:MW isn't really that terrible that its quality alone led to poor sales in the West (I think there's some other factors in play, like Apollo Justice getting a cool reception before it), but the final case getting dragged out the way it does sure didn't do the game any extra favors. Which makes it even more of a shame that the sequel's story is a major improvement.
I think that it was the game came out in Japan literally a month before the 3DS, and Capcom probably expected the lead time on localization would mean that nobody would be giving a poo poo about the DS by the time it came out. Obviously that wasn't the case, the 3DS was slow to take off until Nintendo dropped the price, but up until then Nintendo handhelds had all sold like hotcakes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'll second that opinion; Investigations 2 has some very high highs and does a lot of good with its characters compared to 1, but that one character is a stinker and I think a lot of the actual investigation gameplay is real mid.

It is Miles ahead of the other apinoffs for sure, but I wouldn't rank it alongside the top games of the main series. It is for sure worth checking out if you have a way to play it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

H110Hawk posted:

Why do you even have a switch lol

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Maybe they should ~Switch~ to a console with games they actually like :D :D :D

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i support the OP in playing whatever games they want even if i dont understand.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

H110Hawk posted:

Well what do you like?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It is Miles ahead of the other apinoffs for sure, but I wouldn't rank it alongside the top games of the main series. It is for sure worth checking out if you have a way to play it.

Frankly, if you've been hunting for a sequel you could definitely do worse. Maybe one day they'll come show it off in a compilation.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

H110Hawk posted:

Kirby & the Forgotten Land.

If you end up disliking that game then just get rid of your Switch, because you'll truly be a lost cause.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well what do you like?

yoshi and kirby clearly

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well what do you like?

*music starts*

I like to sing and dance
I like to sing and dance
I wanna be a pirate
In the Pirates of Penzance
With their silver buckle slippers and their
Tight shiny pants

I wanna sing and daaa-aaance

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 27, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sally posted:

yoshi and kirby clearly

they only like the vore games :thunk:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sally posted:

yoshi and kirby clearly

Ok, so why? Is there a reason you like or dislike things?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:stonk:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I like Mario kart, super mario u, smm2, yoshi's crafted world, kirby return to dreamland, untitled goose game. I might like pikmin if I have it more of a chance. I'll give it another try on the demo.

I dislike Zelda (just never could get into it) and anything "turn based". I like easy low stakes games that let you just keep going along without a bunch of cut scenes and such.

I simply don't have a lot of games either. I dislike not having playable demos of basically every major title. (anything at the $60 price point should have a basic demo in my opinion, Nintendo can afford to, and obviously afford not to.)

As for luigis mansion I didn't really look at it all before impulse asking for it for Christmas last year.