Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
glad i dont pay for this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on amazon. The last time I'd checked two-thirds of my list had been removed or moved to paid.

Every so often I'll accumulate enough digital credits from not demanding next-day delivery & use those to watch some movie but that's it.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Dec 27, 2023

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't the food pyramid outed as an op by the big food manufacturers

In Canada they removed dairy from the pyramid and the Dairy Industry threw the biggest poo poo-fit imaginable.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

in alberta the food pyramid is just a picture of a beef

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My last girlfriend was a vegan and I very shittily said this exact thing to her in our big breakup fight and yeah

What the gently caress is going on.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

oh god drat thanks everyone - I signed up to prime last month for a free trial to watch interstellar (okayish) and today was the last day to cancel.

hahaha that bastard was going to charge me fifteen dollars tomorrow for nothing but you did it you beautiful goons you god drat did it!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blatman posted:

in alberta the food pyramid is just a picture of a beef

two minutes per side, rotate once for those good grill marks
down the hatch

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Xaris posted:

glad i dont pay for this poo poo

ok but I will say my wife and I had a little bit of a mind blowing moment when we wanted to skip the 45sec YouTube ad and were thinking about how our kids won’t really have a concept of commercials like we did. We all used to sit through ~5-7minutes of commercials for a 30m show. Insane to see how far we’ve come lol, sorry suckers who watch live sports, the rest of the world has moved on and I don’t think we’ll ever go back.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You're not wrong and I agree with what you're posting. I'm just saying that from my POV a food desert is a lot more than just a poor (non-white) neighborhood and white people don't like admitting that.

well yeah white privilege means not admitting poverty. pretty sure that’s what “the wages of whiteness” means but idk. credit cards (and debt in general) vs. actual wage increases is another state sanctioned cope

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What the gently caress is going on.

It was a joke and not a real anecdote of that helps at all :shrug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i am harry posted:

oh god drat thanks everyone - I signed up to prime last month for a free trial to watch interstellar (okayish) and today was the last day to cancel.

hahaha that bastard was going to charge me fifteen dollars tomorrow for nothing but you did it you beautiful goons you god drat did it!

:toot: goon success story. a christmas miracle, god bless

that'll buy you a box of cheerios

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't the food pyramid outed as an op by the big food manufacturers

It was concieved during the Reagan administration so what does that tell you?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

i am harry posted:

Hadn't watched poo poo for ages and was expecting company for the holidays so in anticipation tried to fire up Prime on my hardly ever used Roku and they no longer do business with Roku? gently caress all of them. I'd rather watch lovely over the air tv than pay any of those rascal robber barons another cent.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I see the circuses are going great

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

90sgamer posted:

It was concieved during the Reagan administration so what does that tell you?

even r*tarded ch*ds know that carbs rule

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My last girlfriend was a vegan and I very shittily said this exact thing to her in our big breakup fight and yeah

Dudes rock

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

got her rear end

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i thank god everyday that we finally got gigabit fiber optic lines through a local small ISP a few years ago for $70/month, and have never looked back.

this new comcast/xfinity pricing is insane, almost $200 a month lol

from what people are saying, the whole "call and threaten to cancel" trick no longer works. they dgaf anymore, not worth the call center money to spend on retention.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:47 on Dec 27, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Oh ya they have data caps too even as media continuously grow in size.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I pay 15€/month for a 1000/1000 uncapped Ethernet in my soviet era Brezhnevhka. Why the capitalism fails to offer you affordable internet connectivity?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

err posted:

Oh ya they have data caps too even as media continuously grow in size.

Conveniently, their IPTV service (the X1 poo poo) is exempted from all data thresholds.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Ihmemies posted:

I pay 15€/month for a 1000/1000 uncapped Ethernet in my soviet era Brezhnevhka. Why the capitalism fails to offer you affordable internet connectivity?

I think the q is why haven't you been tapped for the obvious rent potential yet?!?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
we've all posted a lot about the enshittification process of tech garbage, but holy mother of god the new reddit UI is the worst form of enshittification i've personally seen. it is the absolute worst marketing-brained need-to-sling-ads design ive ever seen.

incase you aren't aware, reddit has been secretly opting lots of peopl into the new redesign to beta-test it before it goes all out. i was one of the unlucky ones who got forcefully rolled into it and it sucks absolute poo poo. I've managed to finangle a greasemonkey script to at least redirect to new. but it's so loving stupid.

if you want a preview of what reddit is going to look like for everyone in a month or so, try this: https://sh.reddit.com/r/bayarea/ or https://sh.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/ or https://sh.reddit.com/r/shrinkflation/. It also breaks all plugins so there's no light at the end of the tunnel once they finally kill off old. prefix for good. it's getting rolled out en mass no matter what soon.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Dec 27, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
not super familiar with reddit what are they doing to the ui

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
just click one of the links and see for yourself (you can change the prefix to old. to see the old ui)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Dec 27, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The reddit UI has always been the worst poo poo. Clicking a reply? It'll pop open inline and show you. Clicking a reply to a reply? That's a full page reload, hope you didn't lose your place on the previous tab I guess.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I think the q is why haven't you been tapped for the obvious rent potential yet?!?

We have a private limited company which owns the building and the lot. Stockholders own shares of the company which grant owners the permission to live in specific apartments in the building. Since we own the lot we don’t have to pay rent for it. We only pay rent for the utilities and renovations for the private limited company, which the inhabitants own. The board is elected yearly and consists of inhabitants. So essentially our rent is as low as possible, currently for me around 230€/month. That includes heating, but not water or electricity. Extracting more rent from us is quite difficult, only possible by increasing the price of utilities, which are mostly provided by the city.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hey if they have “money dysphoria” there are simple steps to quickly transition to a more comfortable net worth

Becky and I moved to the neighborhood after we realized we're transpoor

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

food deserts are real?? they happen in ethnic/poor areas. chicago is thinking of running a city grocer to help with the issue

Every city is a food desert if you stop to think about it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
someone say streaming prices? check this out

:newlol:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

someone say streaming prices? check this out

:newlol:
you mean extra people only have to pay $8 a month instead of $23? drat netflix is very generous. should get rid of that, untapped profits there imo

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Xaris posted:

i thank god everyday that we finally got gigabit fiber optic lines through a local small ISP a few years ago for $70/month, and have never looked back.

this new comcast/xfinity pricing is insane, almost $200 a month lol

from what people are saying, the whole "call and threaten to cancel" trick no longer works. they dgaf anymore, not worth the call center money to spend on retention.

Can confirm if you tell them you want to cancel they just say “ok.”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

you mean extra people only have to pay $8 a month instead of $23? drat netflix is very generous. should get rid of that, untapped profits there imo

yes if you pay for the Epic Plan you get to paypig for 2 people at a reduced rate. easy $$

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Does it work for people outside of the Netflix owner's address?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

netflix is funny because unlike hollywood movies everything by definition is web ripped as soon as it’s up rather than shakey cam in a rowdy theatre with russian subs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

netflix is funny because unlike hollywood movies everything by definition is web ripped as soon as it’s up rather than shakey cam in a rowdy theatre with russian subs

It's a fundamentally intractable problem because there's no way to prevent the shows from being pirated by a sufficiently determined actor, which means the only thing streaming can compete on is convenience, and they're not even really holding up that end of the deal

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a fundamentally intractable problem because there's no way to prevent the shows from being pirated by a sufficiently determined actor, which means the only thing streaming can compete on is convenience, and they're not even really holding up that end of the deal

maybe im a prehistoric old fart but :filez: is more efficient

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

maybe im a prehistoric old fart but :filez: is more efficient

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Steam gets sales because the lowered barrier of entry and quality of life benefits is worth actually paying for the game over pirating it, but it's becoming less and less true for streamed media.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

we've all posted a lot about the enshittification process of tech garbage, but holy mother of god the new reddit UI is the worst form of enshittification i've personally seen. it is the absolute worst marketing-brained need-to-sling-ads design ive ever seen.

incase you aren't aware, reddit has been secretly opting lots of peopl into the new redesign to beta-test it before it goes all out. i was one of the unlucky ones who got forcefully rolled into it and it sucks absolute poo poo. I've managed to finangle a greasemonkey script to at least redirect to new. but it's so loving stupid.

if you want a preview of what reddit is going to look like for everyone in a month or so, try this: https://sh.reddit.com/r/bayarea/ or https://sh.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/ or https://sh.reddit.com/r/shrinkflation/. It also breaks all plugins so there's no light at the end of the tunnel once they finally kill off old. prefix for good. it's getting rolled out en mass no matter what soon.

just stop going on reddit I'm begging you, your life will get better when you stop, trust me bro please!!

I cut reddit out entirely after they killed 3rd party apps, which probably killed half their userbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Yeah cause of the posts here I cancelled streaming and got a server working with all of the open source apps. The UX is beyond my expectations. It had to be good in order to get my wife on board with cancelling everything. It's better than streaming.