Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
B: Salvage Bay, because Mediums are awesome. Duncan Fisher says so.

Mind you, I gravitate towards Heavy 'Mechs myself. Marauder, Warhammer, Archer, Timber Wolf, Summoner....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Goonlance MVP: Dervish for the DFA and nearly completing the bonus objectives
OpFor MVP: Wolverine for the Marauder kill

Mission Vote: B: Salvage Bay. Betweeen one random heavy that could cost a lot to repair vs two mediums that could be cheaply repaired, I'd go with the latter. More mediums gives each lance more flexibility (the heavy is only gonna slot into Sterling Lance, and whichever Mech it replaces is gonna be a poor fit in the other two lances), and for me, the surest way to getting a good heavy is to buy one with the money accumulated from selling surplus Mechs off.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

voting A for two reasons:
- having more than one heavy mech would be good
- zero chance of getting a Talos because that's a medium mech

also voting Dervish for goon mvp, and Hunchback for opfor mvp for being very good bait

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Go for the heavy

Maybe we'll get our own Marauder idk.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Voting A for the heavy, I think it's more interesting to gamble for something that could really improve the company than stick to a few more solid mediums, which we already have a decent stable of.

For player MVP I vote for the Marauder, for doing a lot of damage on the way out, and being enough of a speedbump to make the escape for the other three relatively smooth.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Voting A also because a heavy fixer upper should be fun.

For MVPs I'm tempted to go for the MAD for legging the COM.

For the opfor, I'm going to vote for the WVR for coordinating the encirclement.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Edit: I'm going with A. After listening to Poptarts reasoning, I have to agree.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 26, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
B. In my experience with Megamek, badly damaged heavy mechs are a pit you fill with money.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

B

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If that ship was ruined during the Reunification War it severely limits what you can walk out of it with (something I'm fighting with in my own LP). I'd personally bet on very little that was made before 2585 being out this far. The light 'Mechs are too risky, there just aren't any good ones in the 2590s. You'll probably wind up with a Thorn, Commando, or Hoplite; and an obligatory Wasp/Stinger/Locust. It's also too early to see a Cameroon (which doesn't have stats but is one of the few lost designs we know existed). If you're lucky you'd get a Firestarter

For medium 'Mechs, you could be looking at a Talos, a Toro, or the really weird 50 ton Rifleman. It's about 200 years too early for the RWR to be exporting any Phoenixes, but you could see something weird like a Scorpion or an irrepairable money pit like the Alfar. You might also get lucky and get a Hunchback.

For heavies, it could be anything. There're a lot of heavies that existed in the 2590s that don't have stats, like the Marauder and the (60 ton version of the) Rifleman. A lot of the introduction years are just flat-out bad or wrong. A Lancelot, Galahad, or Black Knight are all surprisingly reasonable; but a damaged, downgraded Lancelot is a deathtrap and a damaged Galahad's irreplaceable Gauss Rifles would probably need to be replaced leaving you with a slow clunker with probably a pair of AC/10s. Ignoring the "around but not with stats" Marauder and RFL-2N, the Archer, Catapult, Warhammer, Guillotine, Thunderbolt, and Orion are all possibilities here too, all of which would be solid performers.

The heavy 'Mech is probably the least risky option, so I'm going to vote A but I still want to see what the pristine light 'Mechs are.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 26, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Voting A. Even damaged, that just means we have a good excuse to build in style ground up improvements to a number of probably already solid units.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
A

Pounding on my desk chanting “frankenmech” rn

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Voting A

I love doing those near-boondoggle purchases/projects in BT/MW5 just to punch above your weight for a little bit.

MVP votes go to Dervish and the Sentinel. Sentinel for dodging the initial waves and slowing down the Lance enough to let everything else happen.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Scintilla ought to do the full pulls for all so we can see what the other choices would have been.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gnoman posted:

Scintilla ought to do the full pulls for all so we can see what the other choices would have been.

I have the salvage for all three bays statted and ready to go, so I'm happy to post the two that don't get chosen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I wanna see some buyers remorse

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Mech Bay currently has a comfortable lead, but a surge of Salvage Bay votes could still swing it. I'll give it another couple of days before I call it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well, I guess that last minute surge never happened! The Mech Bay wins by a fair margin. I'm still working on the next intermission, but in the meantime here's what you guys could have recieved if the thread had chosen differently.

Salvage Bay Rewards

Picking the salvage bay would have given the players a Hoplite, Talos and Toro.

The Hoplite would have been an incredibly easy fix that could have been turned around in less than a day. It's also the 'good' 4B version that, while still oversinked, at least gets a bit more use out of its heat sinks than the others. Its PPC and LRM-15 would have made it a solid fire support platform and a good backup for Stephanie's Trebuchet or Archibald's Blackjack.

The Talos is... not great. It took a nasty headshot, so it needs a new cockpit, which makes it more expensive to repair. It's also not a particularly good mech - it's slow and relies exclusively on ballistic and missile weapons, so if it runs out of ammo it's completely useless. That ammo also makes it very explosive, and it will die very quickly if it starts taking side-torso crits. It does have the 'Easy to Pilot' quirk, but that's about it.

The Toro is an interesting one. It manages to fit the firepower of a Griffin into a chassis twenty tons lighter, and is reasonably well-armoured for a Light Mech. The 'Cramped Cockpit' is a killer, though. The Toro was also the Taurian Concordat's national battlemech until the Star League hunted down and destroyed all functioning models after the Reunification War. If the Salvage Bay option had been chosen, the thread would have been given the option to sell this mech to the Taurians in exchange for a boatload of cash and improved relations, including special contract offers from the Concordat in the future.

Cargo Bay Rewards

Picking the cargo bay would have given the players a Firestarter, Thorn and some useful spare parts.

The Firestarter is one of the better Light Mechs of the Reunification period. It has basically everything a Light Mech could want - good speed, jump jets, decent armour, and its weapons pack a punch. It's got pretty bad heat management, but so do most battlemechs before Double Heat Sinks are introduced.

The Thorn on the other hand is pretty sub-par. It's basically a slower Locust without 'Narrow Profile' to help it survive. It also has an Endo-Steel structure, so if a segment gets completely destroyed it'll be almost impossible to repair. The only thing it has going for it is its CASE system, and even then the only advantage would have been to strip it off and give it to something a bit more valuable.

The spare parts were the real prize for this option. Gyros and engines are incredibly expensive, and having spares on-hand would have cut down massively on both expenses and repair time. More ammo, armour and heat sinks would also have been nice, since you can never have too many of those.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
It's too soon to have buyer's remorse considering that we don't even know what we bought yet. But I'll confess I'm a little sad we won't get the Hoplite. I know it's oversinked to hell and back, and having a lower movement profile is not great. But I find its armor profile hilarious, and this one is actually a pretty good sniper. A max of 25 damage at long range is fairly impressive for such a small machine. I mean, that's more firepower than the 1N Griffin can put out.

I don't really care about the rest of the mechs but they look interesting. Having a firestarter could have been fun. And the excess components from the cargo bay would have been useful too. Better hope we get something good from the Mechbay...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not having the equipment hurts but i think the mechs themselves don't look so great in the end.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Space Kablooey posted:

Not having the equipment hurts but i think the mechs themselves don't look so great in the end.

Wait till you see the wrecked vintage Mackie that Scintilla's rolled up for us.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Z the IVth posted:

Wait till you see the wrecked vintage Mackie that Scintilla's rolled up for us.

You will take your decapitated, bombed-out shell of a Victor and you will like it.

One day a Mackie will rise, phoenix-like, from an ancient Star League bunker and lay waste to its enemies in a Battletech LP. Is it this one? Probably not. But maybe. Anything is possible if you believe in it hard enough.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

You will take your decapitated, bombed-out shell of a Victor and you will like it.

One day a Mackie will rise, phoenix-like, from an ancient Star League bunker and lay waste to its enemies in a Battletech LP. Is it this one? Probably not. But maybe. Anything is possible if you believe in it hard enough.

PTN already did it though. It died off-screen to plot Salamanders.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Z the IVth posted:

PTN already did it though. It died off-screen to plot Salamanders.

drat, I must have missed that. RIP Big Mac, you were too beautiful for this world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scintilla posted:

Oh, please. As long as the sniper cannon is intact, I'm sure the players will figure out something to do with that Helepolis you've got in there.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

We could probably just sell a mackie shell to comstar to have them put in a museum or something

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, dodged some bullets there. The Hoplite is the okay-est 'Mech that ever 'Meched, the Talos is a hilarious deathtrap with thin rear armor that blows up at the drop of a hat; and the Toro gets eaten alive by fast light 'Mechs. The Griffin comparison isn't entirely fair, since the Griffin is much better at taking hits and the Toro's not fast enough to avoid taking the same hits a Griffin would.

The Firestarter is probably the second best light 'Mech of the era (after the Jenner), but that's not saying much since that bar will stay buried deep underground until 3058 or so. And the Thorn is such a deathtrap about the only use you'd make of it is selling it immediately--and even then you'd only collect enough to maybe buy a replacement PPC unless you found a rich collector of Star League 'Mechs looking to complete some sort of collection.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now I'm thinking, if these were the sensible options, what kind of garbage have we ended up with lmao

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

We'll get that 75t Stalker that can't walk right and like it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slavvy posted:

Now I'm thinking, if these were the sensible options, what kind of garbage have we ended up with lmao

My picks for comedy options:

Helepolis as I joked about, a heavy artillery mech.

Daedalus, a civilian construction mech that got an armed militia version.

Koschei, a heavy mech with a glorious armament of an AC/10 and two medium lasers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
LoaderKing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Koschei, a heavy mech with a glorious armament of an AC/10 and two medium lasers.

This just seems like something you give the opfor in a video game as a low value target you can blow away by the dozen

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Once we see how long term a project that Heavy is, we might want to just order some spares like what was in that cargo bay for our current units. These virtual missions give us time to build up a deeper inventory.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I can confirm that it's not a Helepolis. I actually did consider it, but then I realised that giving goons access to heavy artillery would probably definitely result in a shot scattering and causing a catastrophic friendly fire / collateral damage incident.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i see no downsides with that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I mean, the most obvious option is receiving like... 2/3rds of an Archer.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
1/3 archer, 1/3 warhammer and some spare phoenix hawk bits.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Z the IVth posted:

1/3 archer, 1/3 warhammer and some spare phoenix hawk bits.

The dawn of the Corsair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Space Kablooey posted:

"Maximum warcrime" is a great way to play BTA3062, so, yeah