Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, finally :O

... But I'm busy and away from home all day so it'll have to wait for tonight. Ah well.

Edit: "Modified Host command [0090 Real-time Clock Data] to send day-of-week" is mentioned on the update page. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean games that use RTC like the gen 2-3 Pokemon games will finally work?

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Trinitron filter is pretty cool. But now we have to wait for core authors to update to allow other modes.

Noticed the AGG23 NES core actually allows save states + sleep which is nifty. According to the documentation it's "most mappers".

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

teethgrinder posted:

But now we have to wait for core authors to update to allow other modes.

wRiTe YoUr oWn CoReS iF yOu DoN't LiKe It

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope the GB, GBC, and GBA cores are also updated with frame blending. I guess GG too if that needs it.

My Pocket is out for repair so hopefully some of these are updated by the time it’s back.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

wRiTe YoUr oWn CoReS iF yOu DoN't LiKe It
Lol I'm patient and just happy as hell with 2.0.

But it will be nice in the future.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://github.com/mattpannella/pocket-updater-utility/releases/tag/2.41.0

Pocket updater will force the screen mode onto cores.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So did this update make it so I can use the screen filters on roms through the OpenFPGA cores? I just updated and it doesn't seem to do it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So did this update make it so I can use the screen filters on roms through the OpenFPGA cores? I just updated and it doesn't seem to do it.

Each of the cores need to be updated to support it or you can do a workaround with things like the post above yours.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tried out the command-line updater. Seems fine, did crash a few times on me, though.

Is the Jotego renaming on device? Be nice if that was in the menu, too.

I'm currently questioning the point of using the GB core when I can just use the GBC one in grayscale LCD. Not THAT attached to the green one, which I can't use with the core yet, anyway. I would actually prefer the lighter GBP silver, but I can deal for now.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 25, 2023

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Is there anyway to hack in interpolation (scale to fit screen) while using the forced original display modes?
In my size options, “fit” is greyed out for some reason.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I imagine not, the original display modes need a specific amount of pixels to get the right effect, if you stretched them it would get all wonky with half pixels and stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Current obsession is Super Contra on the Aliens beta Jotego core.

Can beat the NES port in one life still but was kinda oblivious to the arcade original. I have the Steam Contra Collection but can't tweak the lives/continues enough lol. It's so much freaking harder than Super C!!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The NES version of Contra is much better than the arcade version but I don’t think I’ve compared Super to its arcade counterpart.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

The NES version of Contra is much better than the arcade version but I don’t think I’ve compared Super to its arcade counterpart.
Agreed for sure. But I mostly grew up with Super C, and I also generally thought it played better than Contra and was more interesting. I didn't love the base levels of Contra.

But Super Contra arcade has just ... so much more than Super C. Far more detailed and animated sprites, far more enemies and bullets coming at you. The bullets are in more than 8 directions. The levels are longer, a lot more detailed, and the bosses are more elaborate. All that said I've barely scratched it at this point. But it's so awesome playing like a souped-up version of what I'd been playing for over 30 years.

Edit: music and intro videos are so much better too

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 26, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

black and white pockets are back in stock. $220.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

is the snes core on this thing unfinished? I'm getting a lot of graphical glitches, especially on romhacks.

idk why the image is stretched like that, it's directly from the screenshot folder on the Pocket

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 26, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s been solid for me. Have you had issues with other cores?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I haven't seen anything in other cores. I've used these romhacks on the MiSTer without issue, but maybe the Pocket doesn't like them.

Also, the color of the Pocket is close, but not completely right for a blue "Play it Loud" Game Boy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Try deleting all the cores files and reinstalling it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

thanks, that seems to have done the trick.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I did not get an analogue dock for Christmas, so I went ahead and ordered one for myself this morning and it shipped already. Happy Christmas to me!

Is there anything I need to know / set up to get the pocket working with the dock or does it just work?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's designed to just work, doesn't even have a power button. Plug it in and dock and you'll get prompted to upgrade firmware, it can pull updates from the pocket itself. Let that complete and then it should work as seamlessly as a switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, it just works. The only problem I have with it is the light when it’s in standby is pretty distracting and there’s no option to disable it. I hope that comes in an update someday.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got my insidegadgets DS rumble cart just in time for 2.0 and display modes to come out and make it relevant. It works with Drill Dozer and applicable GBC roms out of the box, but with some extra patching you can get a few other GBA games to work. In case it's useful to others:

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

otter posted:

They are doing good work. I was playing the Sega 16 core they made, and the only thing that doesn't seem to work for me is Golden Axe. It is stuck in a test mode and there's seemingly no way to exit it and start the game.
In case you haven’t figured this out yet, you can get past the test mode menu by holding the button to the right of the Analogue button, then pressing A+B. Someone else posted about it on the Jotego Discord server.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

mekyabetsu posted:

In case you haven’t figured this out yet, you can get past the test mode menu by holding the button to the right of the Analogue button, then pressing A+B. Someone else posted about it on the Jotego Discord server.

I had not figured that out. I had to unplug my pocket dock because when I updated my 8bitdo pce controllers they started pairing to the dock but won’t pair to the Duo now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

otter posted:

I had not figured that out. I had to unplug my pocket dock because when I updated my 8bitdo pce controllers they started pairing to the dock but won’t pair to the Duo now.

Unfortunately that Pocket Dock firmware makes it so they don’t pair to anything else. You have to put the normal firmware back on them. Probably best to stick to the dongle paring if you frequently switch between systems with the same controllers.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Unfortunately that Pocket Dock firmware makes it so they don’t pair to anything else. You have to put the normal firmware back on them. Probably best to stick to the dongle paring if you frequently switch between systems with the same controllers.

That makes sense. I’m really kind of pissed at 8bitdo for these pce controllers. The original issue is that they don’t pair to the duo without the dongle and then on top of that the menu button doesn’t go to the home menu. It keeps treating it like a reset button or start button. It’s all whacked out. I’ll be resetting them to standard firmware tonight. They also don’t detect when you use the 8bitdo updater software.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

8bitdo controller functionality with Analogue products do leave a lot to be desired, despite their marketed compatibility. Does the pocket firmware 2.0 include anything to let you remap a second controller's inputs? Last I checked I can get both my M30s to pair and work in ericlewis' Genesis core with the M30 controllers option enabled, but player 2's buttons are mixed up and can't be remapped, only player 1 can be fixed.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm not having any issues with my 8bitdo PCE controllers on the Duo. They paired fine and everything works as expected.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m disappointed there’s still no support for the NSO NES and Genesis pads. They let us use the SNES one so why not the others.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Had a good time setting up all the jt stuff and then going through and changing everything he plastered his tag all over

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

IG-88 posted:

Had a good time setting up all the jt stuff and then going through and changing everything he plastered his tag all over

It is mildly annoying to have to set up banners and texts for those cores but at least they constantly release them.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm not having any issues with my 8bitdo PCE controllers on the Duo. They paired fine and everything works as expected.

I got both the black and white ones, and have now rolled them back to the 4.2 firmware. They connect to the duo via the dongles, but on both controllers, the menu button just acts as a Run button except in some games it will reset the game. It's really bizarre.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SeANMcBAY posted:

So I ended up getting this squared away once and for all. For whatever reason if I use my usb dongles to tether my 8BitDo PCE controllers to the system it will not give the menu button its functionality. I ended up flashing back to the analogue dock firmware which DOES give it the ability to natively pair to the Analogue Duo as well as the dock. Going from the 4.1 firmware to the 5.0 to the 4.2 and back to the 5.0 and pairing without the dongle gave my pce controllers their functionality back.

That being said, after using the 8bitdo neo geo controller I don't think I want to use any other controller on my duo OR pocket.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
spent too much time figuring out how to get the 8bitdo PCE to sync to the Duo. gave up and resorted to the receiver.

i blame Analogue and 8bitdo equally for not coming up with something more intuitive since they both clearly use their mutual compatibility as a feature for their products. i never had a great experience getting the SN and SF controllers to sync with the pocket dock.

just wanted to the vent about that. 8bitdo controllers are so overrated. like who cares how they feel if they cant even sync easily.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I love 8bitdo controllers. They were rock solid with the receivers on the Super NT, Mega SG and NT Mini Noir. Then starting with the Pocket dock I get nothing but issues and disconnects with trying to pair 8bitdo controllers to it. ( Yes I updated the controllers with the right firmware. ) I'd honestly call the compatibility broken, or I and a lot of others have defective docks. I use the Switch SNES bluetooth controller with my dock instead, no issues with that.

I cancelled a Woozle GBA Consolizer pre-order when they announced the Pocket. In hindsight I wish I didn't.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Echo Chamber posted:

spent too much time figuring out how to get the 8bitdo PCE to sync to the Duo. gave up and resorted to the receiver.

i blame Analogue and 8bitdo equally for not coming up with something more intuitive since they both clearly use their mutual compatibility as a feature for their products. i never had a great experience getting the SN and SF controllers to sync with the pocket dock.

just wanted to the vent about that. 8bitdo controllers are so overrated. like who cares how they feel if they cant even sync easily.

I'm sorry you went through that but to echo what others have said, 8bd rock. Just dead easy to use on my Mister setup. This is more on Analogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My only complaint with 8bitdo at the moment is that you can't use their handy firmware updater for the PCE controllers. Seems like a weird oversight, but the manual method works well enough.