Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Christmas cards as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

okay what's the approach that folks have taken with sharing out family photos? I refuse to post my kids up on any social media site.

My current strategy is to just have a simple URL that I registered forward to a google photos album that specific people have access to. It works well enough, but I'm wondering what other people have figured out.

normal people use social media sites with private profiles

I mean, I get it, it's not great having your children's photos on Facebook's cloud. some kind of shared album via google/apple/whatever is a good alternative.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

El Mero Mero posted:

okay what's the approach that folks have taken with sharing out family photos? I refuse to post my kids up on any social media site.

My current strategy is to just have a simple URL that I registered forward to a google photos album that specific people have access to. It works well enough, but I'm wondering what other people have figured out.

We just occasionally text pictures to our parents, but I'm pretty lazy with mine and they hate it. So I think it's working pretty well.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

when my ex and I were together we used an ios app called Cluster. it’s a private photo sharing thing where you make albums and invite family or friends and anyone that’s a member of an album can view, download or add photos. i think it has permission levels too. it worked well

now I just text them though

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

CompeAnansi posted:

We just occasionally text pictures to our parents, but I'm pretty lazy with mine and they hate it. So I think it's working pretty well.

yeah same

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My wife got the parents we talk to digital photo frames that we send pictures to

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kenny Logins posted:

same but a recorder. may god forgive me but i hate even looking at it

I have preemptively said that recorders and ocarinas are banned. so many memories of terrible noise from my sister

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

big black turnout posted:

My wife got the parents we talk to digital photo frames that we send pictures to

that's a tempting goatse right there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big black turnout posted:

as in you can remotely send to it ?

fisting by many posted:

I mean, I get it, it's not great having your children's photos on Facebook's cloud. some kind of shared album via google/apple/whatever is a good alternative.

if the photo gone over tcp/ip then it’s already part of an AI training set

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

as in you can remotely send to it ?
my sister got my mom one of these because she never prints photos. the newest ones have an app you upload photos to which get thrown onto the frame. there’s also a dedicated email address that auto-uploads to the frame, if you email photos

neat idea, the real question will be whether my mom likes the frame and the cycling of photos without any real ability/desire for her to curate them. i sure as hell am not taking that job on, we print photos in this house

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I dm people using signal or Whatsapp. If I don't fully trust them to adhere to my strict no sharing policy I send it as "view once".

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

El Mero Mero posted:

i use icloud photos shared albums with the "website" box ticked and send the link to whoever, but most of my friends use limited audience fb posts for their kids

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

echinopsis posted:

if the photo gone over tcp/ip then it’s already part of an AI training set

My main irritation with doing anything on the social platforms was how the algorithm serves up stuff in the feed. I have no confidence that if I posted something that the people who I'd shared it would even see it in their timelines or conversely, friends who wouldn't want to see it would get it stuffed down their throats.

We ditched social media not long after my wife got an infertility diagnosis because of this. The algorithm knew we were interested in kids, so it just showed her baby photos all day, which was the last thing she wanted to see after we got an infertility diagnosis. We didn't want to inadvertently do that to someone else with our kid now that we finally have one.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 27, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

my wife gave our daughter a whistle what the fffuuuuuccckkkkkkk
lmao rookie loving move

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fisting by many posted:

normal people use social media sites with private profiles

unironically a good signal stories use case

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

El Mero Mero posted:

my brother and parents are all in the apple ecosystem but ive also convinced them to use signal and i just send them to a group chat. same with MIL.

easiest way to convince normals to use signal is to say they dont compress photos and videos unlike every other service, + all the security stuff (that they don't care about)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my wife just takes 15000 photos and then never shares them with anyone except when she goes "aw :3::3::3:" and flips her phone around to show people lolololol

anyway it's day 5 or whatever of winter break and every stuffed animal/toy/blanket/pillow and blanket have been dragged into the living room for a huge mess party!

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

easiest way to convince normals to use signal is to say they dont compress photos and videos

Signal compresses photos and videos

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Votskomit posted:

Signal compresses photos and videos

hmmm i thought "high" used to be "full" and not compressed but reddit suggests its been that way for years, maybe i haven't noticed because im the one always sending and not receiving. oh well the quality is still significantly better than text messaging and nobody has complained

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my parents bought me a drum set at age 6, and I made sure they regretted that decision until I moved out at 21 lol

this is my brother-in-law's plan to piss off my other brother-in-law in a few years

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Norovirus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:barf:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

:shrek:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

We got her to the ER and they got her hydrated and got some zofran in her, which will hopefully last until her body beats the virus back.

This poo poo is evil, can't be killed except with soap, bleach, or peroxide. Lasts up to 48 days on surfaces.

I'm gonna go design some bleach-resistant furniture to sell to parents. Don't steal my idea. Or do and give me a free one.

E: what's the best way to prepare if you know you're gonna be shidding and puking and farding your brains out in the near future? Eat exclusively vanilla pudding while chugging Gatorade?

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 30, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Christ this was my life for the past 2 weeks. Kiddo brought it home from school but luckily didn't get it super bad. Partner and I especially got loving leveled. Pedialyte is your friend and any light food that you can keep down. good luck! It seems to be going around in a big way where I'm at.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Organic Lube User posted:

E: what's the best way to prepare if you know you're gonna be shidding and puking and farding your brains out in the near future? Eat exclusively vanilla pudding while chugging Gatorade?

pray for death?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I wish relatives wouldn't give us dresses with glitter on them as gifts because while they look cute (spot the in law that only had boys and is vaguely frustrated about it), they shed glitter absolutely everywhere and I don't like the idea of washing them and pumping the goddamn stuff into the water to go choke a fish

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

they shed glitter absolutely everywhere and I don't like the idea of washing them and pumping the goddamn stuff into the water to go choke a fish

hey man, can you try to keep posts about your strip club -> jerkin’ it routine out of the yospos parenting thread?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

hey man, can you try to keep posts about your strip club -> jerkin’ it routine out of the yospos parenting thread?

look I'm sorry that I'm out here paying your wife to choke the fish but somebody has to keep her in glitter

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

thank you for your service :q:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

order bidet attachments for all toilets, use next day shipping.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've been informed that not even He can help me.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We got her to the ER and they got her hydrated and got some zofran in her, which will hopefully last until her body beats the virus back.

This poo poo is evil, can't be killed except with soap, bleach, or peroxide. Lasts up to 48 days on surfaces.

I'm gonna go design some bleach-resistant furniture to sell to parents. Don't steal my idea. Or do and give me a free one.

I hope that your sink is directly next to your toilet! Otherwise make sure you have some buckets handy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ye electrolytes out the wazoo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

ye electrolytes out the wazoo

that’s exactly what’s going to happen to most of them, I think

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

stock up on bananas, rice, applesauce, and bread for toast. a little oj and/or vanilla yogurt isn’t too bad either

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
last year my family rented a big air bnb over the holidays and my brother brought norovirus and it hit everyone except my father and I because we are invincible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah bruv

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

last year my family rented a big air bnb over the holidays and my brother brought norovirus and it hit everyone except my father and I because we are invincible

I don't wanna be overconfident but so far, somehow, nobody else has gotten it yet. I'm hoping it turns out to have been a case of food poisoning. Cause I'm sure my immune system is no badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

That's what you loving get for getting together in huge unmasked groups TBH. Have no idea how it's still a thing, last year *everyone* I knew who got together in large groups got some people infected with *something*, and a colleague's parent spent days in the hospital. If you (not you personally) can't be safe stop loving congregating.