Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pellisworth posted:

yes, and a mind flayer retains the memories of the host brain they consumed, but are not actually the same creature/person as the host

There's a really good philosophical shouting match to be had here. There's an excuse to reference the Ship of Theseus and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Well it all circles back to the concept of the soul, which is a real thing that exists in D&D, and the contradictory evidence we have as to whether mind flayers have souls.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Even ignoring all of that, every full mindflayer (except maybe the MC) so far exhibits personality change, especially depending on whose brains they eat for sustenance. We have evidence they don't have to be evil (which is a thing DnD wants to move towards anyway, away from races stuck with specific alignments) but the personality shifting makes a good case it's not quite the same person.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Is Wyll still the same person, having lost ownership of his soul and been physically changed into something else? In this 225 minute video essay, I

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Finally got around to playing this.

In the space of a few minutes in Act 1, I got:

• A horn that summons a crew of ogres that will fight on my side.
  • A bottle containing a level 4 beholder that will attack everyone.

I've already determined I'm going to use them both in the same fight and admire the chaos. Will I know the best moment when I see it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You have to use the ogre horn by the end of Act 1 or they won't show up, unfortunately. I recommend either the Goblin Camp or the patrol of stanky githyanki.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

William Bear posted:

Finally got around to playing this.

In the space of a few minutes in Act 1, I got:

• A horn that summons a crew of ogres that will fight on my side.
  • A bottle containing a level 4 beholder that will attack everyone.

I've already determined I'm going to use them both in the same fight and admire the chaos. Will I know the best moment when I see it?

Its worth noting that the horn will only work in act 1 areas. The bottle can be used anywhere, at any time.

There's a few fights in act 1 with a huge number of enemies, and any of them would be a valid choice for invoking that sort of chaos. I'm pretty sure the horn will work in the Grymforge vicinity, so if you decide to declare war on everybody there at once it'd be a great choice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundarr posted:

Its worth noting that the horn will only work in act 1 areas. The bottle can be used anywhere, at any time.

There's a few fights in act 1 with a huge number of enemies, and any of them would be a valid choice for invoking that sort of chaos. I'm pretty sure the horn will work in the Grymforge vicinity, so if you decide to declare war on everybody there at once it'd be a great choice.

I was going to use them in the zhent camp this last time around but I accidentally aggro'd them early and recovered by exploding them to a man, and then I forgot to call the ogres elsewhere

Can you call them in the underdark? Because I feel like the duergar village would be a solid place for it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

I was going to use them in the zhent camp this last time around but I accidentally aggro'd them early and recovered by exploding them to a man, and then I forgot to call the ogres elsewhere

Can you call them in the underdark? Because I feel like the duergar village would be a solid place for it.

The place I used them was right in front of the collapsed passage where Nere is trapped. It can get complex there, especially if you made a deal with the duergar to fight against the cultists. Then you got the duergar, the cultists, the ogres, the spectator, the gnomes and then I let Nere out in the middle of that

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

In my first run I forgot about it until it was too late. Next time I sicced them on the gnolls, which was a good plan since the gnolls managed to kill one and cripple another.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Thundarr posted:

It definitely works in Grymforge; I used it against Grym. Just have to be careful with the spawn timing so they don’t aggro against you or spawn in lava.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Morrow posted:

Any cleric makes it a breeze because most of the enemies will suicide into spirit guardians.

Someone was posting about the fastest way to get the Drunk and kill 20 enemies achievement, and said just give Shart a beer and let her drive drunk with her spirt guardians up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is Wyll still the same person, having lost ownership of his soul and been physically changed into something else? In this 225 minute video essay, I

I thought Planescape: Torment handled the question of "What can change the nature of a man?" sufficiently

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
way to scare an eight year old with your snake lady, you really are making the Hard Choices

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought Planescape: Torment handled the question of "What can change the nature of a man?" sufficiently

The only thing I know about Planescape Torment unfortunately is BABES! DEMON BABES! UNDEAD BABES! ASIAN BABES!

Did they change the nature of a man?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Black Noise posted:

The only thing I know about Planescape Torment unfortunately is BABES! DEMON BABES! UNDEAD BABES! ASIAN BABES!

Did they change a nature of man?

ask Chris Avellone

Or maybe don't

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

IMO one of the major conceits of that whole "nature of a man" thing is that it has a million answers, that pretty much all of them are potentially right, and that no amount of changing a man's nature can change his past. It was never a question of TNO's nature; it was a question of the pain he'd caused and the price of continuing to run from his inevitable judgment. In this way, Planescape: Torment did indeed handle the question quite well! I love that game.

BG3 takes a very different perspective on the matter, but I think it handles that question equally well when it gravely replies "ceremorphosis :(" and then lets you play fetch with a cute dog

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2023

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Started my first Honor Mode run this holiday season, and I thought I had done a thorough job removing most of the gameplay-affecting mods I had installed during my previous Tactician runs. I found out that I had accidentally forgotten one vital one that adds additional enemies when the Mother Owlbear and Father Owlbear called a third (Honor Mode Only) Owlbear Mate from an upper ledge partway through the fight. I had heard the Owlbear Legendary action added a mate, so I was *very* confused when the third popped up. :v:

Made it out alright thanks to liberal use of Prone (thank you, enraged throw and Ice Knife) but having three of those guys enraged and leaping around was *nasty*.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I made Karlach a light cleric and this class is apeshit

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What’s a good gear loadout for an act 1 caster? I can’t wrap my head around the interactions. I thought all the lightning stuff was good but then I realized lightning charges are for attack rolls which seems wrong

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Welp, my honor run ended in the House of Hope. I got completely stomped after pretty much skating through everything since I hit level 5.

Can't decide whether to continue in dishonor or restart...

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a couple hours in on tactician mode and loving drat apparently hand grenades are as common as dirt in the Realms, because almost every fight opens with some poo poo chucking a grenade in the middle of my party and blowing away half of everyone's HP in the first round.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

JBP posted:

I made Karlach a light cleric and this class is apeshit

I made Astarion a rogue/monk (in dyed Selunite robes which look fuckin dope on him) and it's funny as gently caress seeing this smarmy poo poo-rear end vampire strutting around in priest robes only to flip out and punch someone's teeth through the back of their skull at the drop of a hat

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s a good gear loadout for an act 1 caster? I can’t wrap my head around the interactions. I thought all the lightning stuff was good but then I realized lightning charges are for attack rolls which seems wrong

iirc there's not a whole lot of +Spell Attack and DC stuff in Act 1, just

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Melf%27s_First_Staff purchased from Blurg in the Myconid Colony

Also gauntlets that inflict a pretty good debuff when you deal thunder, lightning, or radiant damage which might work for some casters

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Gloves_of_Belligerent_Skies in the creche

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Angry Diplomat posted:

I made Astarion a rogue/monk (in dyed Selunite robes which look fuckin dope on him) and it's funny as gently caress seeing this smarmy poo poo-rear end vampire strutting around in priest robes only to flip out and punch someone's teeth through the back of their skull at the drop of a hat

How very anime of him

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Pellisworth posted:

iirc there's not a whole lot of +Spell Attack and DC stuff in Act 1, just

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Melf%27s_First_Staff purchased from Blurg in the Myconid Colony

Also gauntlets that inflict a pretty good debuff when you deal thunder, lightning, or radiant damage which might work for some casters

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Gloves_of_Belligerent_Skies in the creche

How about a pivot for monks? This is my first time playing as one and want to know what to look for in the early game

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
These https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Boots_of_Stormy_Clamour are also decent for an act 1 caster. I didn't think much of them when I first saw them but the reverberation procs all the time if you inflict conditions and is surprisingly useful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Trevor Hale posted:

Lightning charges will interact with stuff like magic missile. In general though you just want anything that gives you +spell attack/DC or AC. For the most part though there isn’t much spellcaster specific stuff in Act 1 and wizards/sorcs don’t really go off until level 5.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Morrow posted:

Well it all circles back to the concept of the soul, which is a real thing that exists in D&D, and the contradictory evidence we have as to whether mind flayers have souls.

My buddy and I were actually just talking about this the other day. My stance is that since Jergl, the god of death, straight up tells you mindflayers don't have souls that explicitly means they're not the same people they were before they changed. They may have some memories from them, they may not be 100% evil, but they are soulless aberations in the most literal sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
God I forgot how nightmarish these Githyanki space brawlers are. I was in the "game is easy" mode then you're up to your neck in intergalactic frog ninjas.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

How about a pivot for monks? This is my first time playing as one and want to know what to look for in the early game

Monks are baller right out of the starting gate. Dump your points into Dex/Wis/Con, and grab Corellion's Grace from Auntie Ethel when you get to the Druid village. If you go Way of the Open Hand, pick up the Gloves of Cinder and Sizzle (and the Graceful Cloth) from the merchant in the Mountain Pass. Ditch the staff at lvl 6 and fight poo poo with your bare hands, your passives will do the rest.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 27, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Next honor attempt failed fighting Mama Spider Queen after 10 hours. She did something new (I guess a legendary action?) and just covered 2 of the party in some web that was unbreakable until they hit and killed me? How do you fight her? I can blow up 2 of the hatchling nests but not the third one next to her.

I really need to get an auto loot mod next time.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 27, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Monks get so much good gear throughout all of BG3 it will make you wonder why you didn't just roll a Monk.

Comstar posted:

Next honor attempt failed fighting Mama Spider Queen. She did something new (I guess a legendary action?) and just covered 2 of the party in some web that was unbreakable until they hit and killed me? How do you fight her? I can blow up 2 of the hatchling nests but not the third one next to her.

You have to free your party members using Fire damage. A simple alchemical grenade or fire bolt will do it. Burning the web bridges as she's standing on them will take out like 1/3rd of her HP from fall damage.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Every time I think ‘oh but I had a monk last time’ I get to act three and I’m like ‘but I have all this monk gear, I can’t just let it go to waste’ and so I make someone a monk.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mama Spider has been the toughest fight for me in Honour mode so far, first go I had Shadowheart cast Invisibility and run off to Withers to get everyone back on their feet.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Open hand monks are hilarious though the tavern brawler build is too insane. It's easy to game the system and just stock up on hill giant potions from Ethel and have high dex, good wis, and con, and 21 strength for free so I've been avoiding it because I'm playing with people that haven't played as much so I don't want to just take over the game and kill everything for them.

With regards to Illithids having someone's memories, isn't that basically just the same as them reading the person's memories if they were all written down? They know all the memories, but the mind flayer is not the person that originally experienced them. They know what was important to that person, and they can manipulate people into believing they are still that person inside, but that's all it is. Whenever you think "they would never do that to me" you're kind of right, the original person wouldn't, but they're not in there anymore. The mind flayer absolutely would if they could get away with it and it served their agenda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My feelings on the matter is that whoever the mindflayer originally was might have been a cool person that you can hang with for awhile, but ultimately they're always going to lean toward doing mindflayer things and convincing their former friends that being a mindflayer is totally cool, actually, you get to be your own girly girl boss babe and make $7,400 in passive income per month just by eating brains, read my link in the description for more info.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Comstar posted:

I really need to get an auto loot mod next time.

Can you use mods in Honour mode? For some reason I thought they weren't available. If so, can I add a mod like that mid playthrough? I HATE looting everything and managing it after 300 hours.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Robobot posted:

My buddy and I were actually just talking about this the other day. My stance is that since Jergl, the god of death, straight up tells you mindflayers don't have souls that explicitly means they're not the same people they were before they changed. They may have some memories from them, they may not be 100% evil, but they are soulless aberations in the most literal sense.

So if you made Karlach become a mind flayer you’re a horrible monster that murdered Karlach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had en ending where despite not romancing Karlach I went with her to play Doom and honestly that's the best ending, you even get the best looking clothes for the epilogue party.