Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Doltos posted:

I think my biggest problem with advanced stats is they're just all weighted formulas that are no poo poo things. Like of course if you get a lot of yards on a play you're going to have a higher EPA, which could easily just be measured by looking at the yards. It still says nothing about how those yards were gained.

Yeah.

I also detest the black box-ness of it all. No one takes quarterback rating as an unassailable metric because its formula is easy and laid bare for the world to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BlindSite posted:

Jordan Love opened well and then struggled a little bit like 3 weeks in, I'm going to chalk this up to, defenses finding their feet and more film, but he's come out the other side and looked fantastic. Gotta give credit where it's due, especially after the rumours of him not having much between the ears were cropping up in the offseason.

These rumors came from exactly one person making up poo poo on Twitter for... a clip for PFT I think it was. They weren't substantiated anywhere else and he had a good camp and preseason.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Man I was amenable to Lamar as MVP but he really doesn't have the numbers for it. He's not top 5 in any QB metric except for Y/A (#4 at 7.7) but he's still way behind Purdy (9.7), Tua (8.5), and Stroud (8.2) there. He leads QBs in rush yards, but is still only #6 in total yards. He only has 5 rushing TDs—WAY behind Hurts (15), Allen (13), and even Dobbs (6).

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Lamar is the Most Valuable Player on the Baltimore Ravens.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

give most valuable player to you, the fans

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fsif posted:

Man I was amenable to Lamar as MVP but he really doesn't have the numbers for it. He's not top 5 in any QB metric except for Y/A (#4 at 7.7) but he's still way behind Purdy (9.7), Tua (8.5), and Stroud (8.2) there. He leads QBs in rush yards, but is still only #6 in total yards. He only has 5 rushing TDs—WAY behind Hurts (15), Allen (13), and even Dobbs (6).

Yeah and it doesn't help that Lamar's already had an MVP year and it was better than this one. Almost twice as many TDs passing, significantly higher rating, more rushes for almost twice as many yards and more TDs, and less fumbles, less INTs, a third less sacks, and (assuming he plays at least one of these last games, if not all of them) did it with less playtime

Parallax posted:

Or the turf that took out Rodgers

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

fsif posted:

Then again he is the winningest QB in the league (with a schedule that includes 12 games against likely playoff teams) and transparently the best player on the field in every game he plays. Dude is the MVP. All the arguments against are cope.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Parallax posted:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mvp.... is mike evans

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lamar should be mvp for his intangibles. i want the stats nerds to all poo poo and piss their pants as the stud clinches 2x MVP

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yeah not a single of the QBs are so far and away better statistically that they'll win based on that, it's down to vibes

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Then again he is the winningest QB in the league (with a schedule that includes 12 games against likely playoff teams) and transparently the best player on the field in every game he plays. Dude is the MVP. All the arguments against are cope.

It's fine with me. I like Lamar and would rather he win it than a Dolphin. It's just that his case is really bad.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Joe Flacco MVP, there I said it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Parallax posted:

yeah not a single of the QBs are so far and away better statistically that they'll win based on that, it's down to vibes

If we are basing it off vibes then your mvp is baker Mayfield

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BlindSite posted:

Jordan Love opened well and then struggled a little bit like 3 weeks in, I'm going to chalk this up to, defenses finding their feet and more film, but he's come out the other side and looked fantastic. Gotta give credit where it's due, especially after the rumours of him not having much between the ears were cropping up in the offseason.

my eye test on Love was that he was correctly identifying open receivers but he kept constantly overthrowing them (and then overcompensating and underthrowing them) and then he stopped doing that and I hate it because I'm a Vikings fan

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you've got to have baker mayfield in play for the mvp award.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really care who gets MVP, this has been the year defense struck back. I do think Lamar's as worthy as anyone else and I think the Ravens stuffing his main MVP rival Brock Purdy into a dumpster in one of the most watched primetime games ever will probably make it more likely he gets it.

You could make a stats case for Tua, especially if they win on Sunday. Dark horse Josh Allen if they somehow claw back to win the AFC East.

or just give MVP to Kyle Hamilton

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The case for Tua is that he is maybe literally the only QB in the league that gets the ball out fast enough for his offense to function like it does. Like Tyreek or no, they don't make it through the cowboys with anyone holding the ball a split second longer

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I'm loath to admit it but I think it has to be Tua at this point. He's actually having a special season and he's looked good even with an absent or hobbled Hill.

I still think Purdy was unfairly maligned and his numbers are the most obscene, but you can't give the MVP to a guy that gets benched on Christmas for Sam Darnold on principle

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fsif posted:

I still think Purdy was unfairly maligned and his numbers are the most obscene, but you can't give the MVP to a guy that gets benched on Christmas for Sam Darnold on principle

Most Valuable Pumpkin

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if Tua even goes 1-1 in the next two games he makes a strong case since it's gonna be him with a massacred O-line, no waddle, and a banged up hill, mostert and achane

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah maybe Sunday Miami @ Baltimore is the battle for both the 1 seed and the MVP.

Of course it’s a 1 o’clock game

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
As long as the QB MVP isn't Dak Prescott, I have no problems. Lamar is great, and there are still better non-QB options that could take it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sorry for using a Stat but it's kind of remarkable how slow the narrative on Howell has been to catch up to the reality

https://twitter.com/CDCarter13/status/1739714247532126409

I think a lot of the general population is still in a "promising young QB" place with him based on him posting some big numbers in the early part of the season, but dude has been straight dookie for a while and got benched in two straight games, both of which saw Jacoby Brissett immediately and significantly improve the offense's performance. Can't imagine the Commanders would hesitate to take a QB with their first rounder at this point if someone they like is on the board

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

howell's unmoving chronicle

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Parallax posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Joe Flacco MVP, there I said it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

xbilkis posted:

Sorry for using a Stat but it's kind of remarkable how slow the narrative on Howell has been to catch up to the reality

I think a lot of the general population is still in a "promising young QB" place with him based on him posting some big numbers in the early part of the season, but dude has been straight dookie for a while and got benched in two straight games, both of which saw Jacoby Brissett immediately and significantly improve the offense's performance. Can't imagine the Commanders would hesitate to take a QB with their first rounder at this point if someone they like is on the board

Everyone knows he sucks, I don't think there is anything "quiet" about it

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I don't mind giving it to Lamar again for now. Lamar rules.

If Tua has crazy numbers and beats the Ravens and Bills, he has a claim to it, and so does Josh Allen if he has insane games against NE and Miami.

Brock Purdy is interesting because with what they are paying him and where he was drafted, he is an extremely VALUABLE player.

The big debate though is a player like Lamar and Allen and even Tua (because of his speed at getting the ball out) are essential to their teams being able to win in a way I'm not convinced Purdy is.

I think the MVP rave will come into clarity after these next few weeks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
MVP is THE narrative award. Lamar will win because he went head to head on Christmas night with the presumptive MVP and played great while the competition got intercepted 4 times.

The only way this doesn't happen is if Tua has a dramatically better game than Lamar on Sunday. Even that may not be enough because that game is happening at 10 am.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm pretty sure Dolphins/Ravens is at noon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

xbilkis posted:

Sam Howell is the best QB in the league vs the Eagles and real bad against everyone else

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Those sick enough to watch the Cardinals this year, how has Kyler been?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Looked like trash against the bears

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Looked like trash against the bears

And the Niners

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Lamar better get at least one td pass this week, because I don't know if voters are ready to give mvp to a guy with 19 regardless of other context

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Sam Howell has been sacked 60 times this season? Thats legitimately impressive

I remember when poor hapless David Carr set an all time record for # of times being sacked with 76 back in 2002. If you try hard enough Sam, you can get there buddy!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

I remember when poor hapless David Carr set an all time record for # of times being sacked with 76 back in 2002. If you try hard enough Sam, you can get there buddy!

Carr was sacked 68 times in 2005.

Curse of Tony Boselli did not gently caress around.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mike N Eich posted:

Sam Howell is the worst combo of being really bad right now and also being super resilient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Bad. Not atrocious but like he somehow hasn't ever played in an NFL offense.

He's still got the speed though. If Atlanta doesn't get Fields they should get him.