Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1739768479421714574?t=K_jCgYlYfLrioRiosfPSRA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

i say swears online posted:

D&D was the best movie this year because it was fun. movies aren't fun anymore

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

-Nolan quote-

BadOptics posted:

i say swears online posted:

D&D was the best movie this year because it was fun. movies aren't fun anymore

Two very different takes on modern film. The second one is correct one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:gas:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just saw Miracle on 34th Street for the first time. I gotta say, the very serious little girl in that movie seems very unrealistically written if you don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure my daughter will literally be that girl in three years or so

Anyway, the cigar-smoking Tammany Hall guy doesn't exist anymore, politics is worse off for it, and he ruled and was the best character

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this guy

hell yeah

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

loquacius posted:

Just saw Miracle on 34th Street for the first time. I gotta say, the very serious little girl in that movie seems very unrealistically written if you don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure my daughter will literally be that girl in three years or so

Anyway, the cigar-smoking Tammany Hall guy doesn't exist anymore, politics is worse off for it, and he ruled and was the best character

the actress in the reboot is Ben Shapiro's cousin.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

nolan talks about hollywood people like hes running for president of the movies. its weird

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So I'm watching For All Mankind, do they ever explain what the tactical advantage of putting nuclear missiles on the moon would be?

They would take days to reach Earth, ground based ICBMs are far better in every way as weapons, I don't get it. Like I get that "weaponizing space" is the threat being discussed here but Moon-based weapons seem like a dumb idea.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WampaLord posted:

So I'm watching For All Mankind, do they ever explain what the tactical advantage of putting nuclear missiles on the moon would be?

They would take days to reach Earth, ground based ICBMs are far better in every way as weapons, I don't get it. Like I get that "weaponizing space" is the threat being discussed here but Moon-based weapons seem like a dumb idea.
Only thing I can come up with is that it makes it a lot harder for your opponent to do a counterforce strike against your nuclear arsenal. Of course that's what nuclear submarines are for, so you need those to be somehow under threat of getting neutralized too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Aquaman last night. I came away with it with a generally good impression, though I think a lot of that has to do with this being the first movie I've ever watched in IMAX and how good IMAX looks

one moment I will make mention of is an especially Obama-esque affectation where during a scene where Aquaman is proposing to the Atlantean council that they should reveal themselves to the surface world so they can address worsening climate change, he says:

quote:

we can't be part of the conversation, if we don't take our seat at the table

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ammanas posted:

nolan talks about hollywood people like hes running for president of the movies. its weird

he's trying to get snyder back on the "shooting on film" train

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Only thing I can come up with is that it makes it a lot harder for your opponent to do a counterforce strike against your nuclear arsenal. Of course that's what nuclear submarines are for, so you need those to be somehow under threat of getting neutralized too.

Yeah, I guess. It's just a weird oversight for a show that understands that space travel takes a long time.

I think at one point they mentioned that they could launch missiles from space without any warning or detection possibilities but that seems silly as well. Both of these space agencies are extremely well funded and are constantly spying on each other.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, I guess. It's just a weird oversight for a show that understands that space travel takes a long time.

I think at one point they mentioned that they could launch missiles from space without any warning or detection possibilities but that seems silly as well. Both of these space agencies are extremely well funded and are constantly spying on each other.

Its probably real easy to miss the emissions of small missiles and they would be coasting most of the way anyway

Oh wait from the moon? Ok lol thats dumb. You ain't hiding poo poo on the moon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its probably real easy to miss the emissions of small missiles and they would be coasting most of the way anyway

Oh wait from the moon? Ok lol thats dumb. You ain't hiding poo poo on the moon.
Ever heard of the dark side of the Moon?? You just place your nukes on the dark side, then fire them off in the direction your target is gonna be at in six months and wait for the fireworks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ever heard of the dark side of the Moon?? You just place your nukes on the dark side, then fire them off in the direction your target is gonna be at in six months and wait for the fireworks.

nah, mirrors

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

nah, mirrors
mirrors don't work in space. not enough gravity for the mirrors to figure out along which axis to mirror what they're seeing.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

what if you made the rockets go faster

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if you put nukes on the moon, you turn the moon into a threat that every human on earth can see. i mean that's not nothing, even if it's impractical

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

gayble moon. is this anything?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

watho posted:

gayble moon. is this anything?

Goebbels Moon

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if you put nukes on the moon, you turn the moon into a threat that every human on earth can see. i mean that's not nothing, even if it's impractical

It's definitely a harsh mistress

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Prime Video now jamming ads into shows but adding a $2.99 ad free tier

everything always getting worse

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched Aquaman last night. I came away with it with a generally good impression, though I think a lot of that has to do with this being the first movie I've ever watched in IMAX and how good IMAX looks

one moment I will make mention of is an especially Obama-esque affectation where during a scene where Aquaman is proposing to the Atlantean council that they should reveal themselves to the surface world so they can address worsening climate change, he says:

did they kill the baby like in the comics?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

brugroffil posted:

Prime Video now jamming ads into shows but adding a $2.99 ad free tier

everything always getting worse

Who would ever use a service where you have to pay to remove ads?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Okay in this most recent episode the NASA flight director does acknowledge the inherent stupidity of putting nuclear weapons on the moon, so at least one writer was aware that it was a Dumb Thing but figured the military would want to do it anyway, which totally tracks.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

josh04 posted:

he's trying to get snyder back on the "shooting on film" train

and God bless him for it.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

WampaLord posted:

deterrence against moon commies

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So is For All Mankind like an Expanse prequel or something?

(I know the broad series premise, just asking if it works out to being that}

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

The USSR cinematic universe

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

docbeard posted:

It's more hopeful, it's more so Star Trek: 21st Century or something.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't wanna go out like Gavi Singh Chera

the one ring is covid

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the scene where he saved the babies was one of the most fun and stupid actions scenes of the year even if twitter didnt get it.

i dont really want to watch the flash but id watch just this one scene if anyone has it on youtube

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the scene where he saved the babies was one of the most fun and stupid actions scenes of the year even if twitter didnt get it.

people reacting to "he put a freaking baby in a microwave" as some kind of hyper insidious coded reference to Ezra Miller's accusations and not like a joke on a very famous urban legend was annoying

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Maybe he’s just nice

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

people reacting to "he put a freaking baby in a microwave" as some kind of hyper insidious coded reference to Ezra Miller's accusations and not like a joke on a very famous urban legend was annoying

looks like Ezra Miller's got "the munchies" for a California Cheeseburger

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nichael posted:

It's more hopeful, it's more so Star Trek: 21st Century or something.

Aktully the 21st century in Star Trek was the smoking remains of a capitalist dystopia that eventually devolved into a nuclear apocalypse. Ricardo Montalban may or may not rule east Asia with an iron fist depending on current retcons.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Aktully the 21st century in Star Trek was the smoking remains of a capitalist dystopia that eventually devolved into a nuclear apocalypse. Ricardo Montalban may or may not rule east Asia with an iron fist depending on current retcons.

:actually: it's in 2003 at the moment, and WWIII doesn't happen in ST until like the 2020s or 2030s

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nichael posted:

:actually: it's in 2003 at the moment, and WWIII doesn't happen in ST until like the 2020s or 2030s

It was originally the 1990s but time travelers keep loving up the timeline and pushing it back.

Also Carol Kane is an immortal alien (and in the show)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sad to report the new napoleon is angloid propaganda

:negative: