Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

I donno, I used a GTX 1080 for about 4 years and it remained reasonably competent in most new releases minus RTX the whole time. I think the 4090 might have that amount of life in it if one keeps reasonable expectations about settings and resolution in the stuff that ships 4-5 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm pretty sure absurd energy bills, ventilation, and possible house fires actually stops this train.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Indiana_Krom posted:

I donno, I used a GTX 1080 for about 4 years and it remained reasonably competent in most new releases minus RTX the whole time. I think the 4090 might have that amount of life in it if one keeps reasonable expectations about settings and resolution in the stuff that ships 4-5 years from now.

the 1070/vega56 are still great in the 1080p range with 60fps+ in most games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

the more fans you get rid of the more you start to notice the coil whine

Or the tinnitus!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

the 780 was released in 2013, pay the weird guy from digitalfoundry no mind

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My brother can't activate ray reconstruction in Cyberpunk on his 2070 Super. That shouldn't be the case, right? It's with DLSS (not DLAA) on.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
GPUs last forever if you don’t mind dropping down to 30fps :pseudo:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

a 4090 owner is likely the type to be upgrading to the 5090 and 6090 etc

the more interesting comparison would be the 970 tier

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

shrike82 posted:

a 4090 owner is likely the type to be upgrading to the 5090 and 6090 etc

the more interesting comparison would be the 970 tier

On the other hand I, an eBay haunting cheapskate, look forward to using a 4090 as a 1440 card in 2029.

Edit: what I’m saying is I absolutely support all you 4090 people upgrading frequently.

Trickle down GPUnomics.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How does as 1080 ti hold up against a 4060?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

shrike82 posted:

A quick Google appears to show that if you're not doing anything RTX or DLSS related the 1080ti is ~15% faster.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Tom's Hardware's big GPU benchmark puts the 4060 at 20% faster than the 1080 Ti just for rasterization. (edit: for the 1440p results)

Gyrotica posted:

A quick Google appears to show that if you're not doing anything RTX or DLSS related the 1080ti is ~15% faster.

I don't know what you're looking at, but I'm pretty sure this is completely bogus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 27, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rinkles posted:

My brother can't activate ray reconstruction in Cyberpunk on his 2070 Super. That shouldn't be the case, right? It's with DLSS (not DLAA) on.

Ray Reconstruction is, IIRC, a DLSS3 feature. So 4000+ only.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

framegen is the only part of DLSS3 that's exclusive to ada, ray reconstruction is supposed to work on all RTX cards

maybe they need a driver update for RR to work

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I thought they locked Ray Reconstruction to the Path Traced mode only in Cyberpunk?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it was with path tracing

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

has he done any DLSS DLL swapping or installed DLSSTweaks that might be interfering

Shipon posted:

I thought they locked Ray Reconstruction to the Path Traced mode only in Cyberpunk?

officially yes though it can be enabled with classic RT by messing with the config file

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

has he done any DLSS DLL swapping or installed DLSSTweaks that might be interfering

don't think so. i'll tell him to check for drivers, though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Indiana_Krom posted:

My 1080Ti would've continued being useful to this day if I hadn't snagged a 3080 in November 2020 at MSRP and had COVID bucks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pascal is showing its age more than people in this thread like to admit. The 1070 is definitely not "great" at new AAA games anymore if you're aiming for 1080p 60fps, unless by "great" you mean "when everything is set to low and with FSR enabled." The 1080 Ti is doing okay, but there are new games that will trip it up, like Alan Wake 2. Or even the new Avatar game, which pretty much needs to be set to low or have FSR enabled to run at a smooth 60 at 1080p. Even in games that don't use ray tracing, I think we're seeing that Pascal is performing worse these days relative to Turing than it used to. I mean, you can definitely find a playable experience in most of the new games by tweaking the settings, but even the 1080 Ti is starting to fall off.

Shipon posted:

The latest patch allows it with normal ray tracing now too.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Pascal had a really good lifespan for the high end cards, it was basically still relevant through most of the covid era. It has only just recently dropped out of being relevant in current games. Like I was playing Jedi Survivor the other day and noticed that after a while it settles at about 20 GB of VRAM usage (and also over 20 GB of system RAM). I don't expect modern cross platform games like that to be able to scale down to Pascal well at all these days, but keep in mind it is an architecture that shipped in 2016.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Based solely on historical trends the 5070Ti should deliver roughly the same perf as the 4090 but use a lot less power to do it, and then a generation later (assuming Nvidia sticks with its naming scheme) you're looking at a 6060 or 6060Ti using even less power for the same number of frames

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FuturePastNow posted:

Based solely on historical trends the 5070Ti should deliver roughly the same perf as the 4090 but use a lot less power to do it, and then a generation later (assuming Nvidia sticks with its naming scheme) you're looking at a 6060 or 6060Ti using even less power for the same number of frames

With 12GB of VRAM

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

change my name posted:

With 12GB of VRAM

probably

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Tom's Hardware's big GPU benchmark puts the 4060 at 20% faster than the 1080 Ti just for rasterization. (edit: for the 1440p results)

I don't know what you're looking at, but I'm pretty sure this is completely bogus.

It was once about 2070 Super level, but it's not going to be in modern titles.
It's somewhere around 3060 12 GB, ending up fairly similar overall.
A 4060 is an upgrade, not a huge one though, and I'd feel uneasy at losing so much vram. I wouldn't personally consider it the most satisfying upgrade.

Though there a few new titles where the difference is stark, if that matters.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 27, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There was some fan discussion earlier. Better to add ie. 6 14cm case fans instead of a lesser amount. 2 fans to cpu & gpu instead of one etc. 2 fans at half the speed move as much noise as one running at full speed, and the 2 fans make significantly less noise. Arctic P12 and P14 RGB fans specifically are the best fans I have ever used. I have total of 10 fans in my build and it is the quietest build I have ever had, despite producing 400W+ while gaming.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

There was some fan discussion earlier. Better to add ie. 6 14cm case fans instead of a lesser amount. 2 fans to cpu & gpu instead of one etc. 2 fans at half the speed move as much noise as one running at full speed, and the 2 fans make significantly less noise. Arctic P12 and P14 RGB fans specifically are the best fans I have ever used. I have total of 10 fans in my build and it is the quietest build I have ever had, despite producing 400W+ while gaming.

It's funny that you mention Arctic P12 when those have very well documented resonance issues at lower rpms. More fans is generally better* but you run into diminishing returns pretty fast.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I just loaded up a case full of radiators with Arctic P12 and P14 fans (the non-RGB variants) and I have to say I am impressed how quiet they are even as they ramp up in speed. When my coolant is below 35C I have them idle with the P12s at around 875 RPM and the P14s at around 600 RPM where they are completely inaudible from only about a foot away. They also seem to move more air than the Noctua chromax I was using before for the same or even lower subjective noise levels, which is really impressive since they are less than one quarter the price per unit.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Not sure whether to ask this here or in the monitor thread, so apologies in advance:

I'm running a 3070ti and recently got a 240hz gsync monitor; as I understand it the correct way of using gsync in games is to enable it from the Nvidia control panel, then go to 3D settings, set Global VSync to On and set VSync to off in games? Or does the in-game setting not matter when I have global vsync on in the control panel?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
That's right.

In theory it shouldn't matter if vsync is on through the control panel or the game or both, but in practice the driver guys definitely did it right and who knows if any given game did.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the most important thing is to cap your framerate just below the monitors max refresh rate, but you're not likely to exceed 240fps in most games anyway

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hope u like refreshes

4090D launched, preorders live and shipping late January to China and Vietnam

4080 SUPER, 4070 Ti SUPER, and 4070 SUPER will launch at CES on January 8th with shipping January 22nd it seems

7600XT will be released the same time, January 22nd

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Cygni posted:

hope u like refreshes

4090D launched, preorders live and shipping late January to China and Vietnam

4080 SUPER, 4070 Ti SUPER, and 4070 SUPER will launch at CES on January 8th with shipping January 22nd it seems

7600XT will be released the same time, January 22nd

Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but why does the Chinese model have to be different at all?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hark posted:

Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but why does the Chinese model have to be different at all?

Because the US is placing restrictions on AI performance for exports to China, so Nvidia needed to come up with a cut-down 4090 to comply with those restrictions.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Arzachel posted:

It's funny that you mention Arctic P12 when those have very well documented resonance issues at lower rpms. More fans is generally better* but you run into diminishing returns pretty fast.

This is why I said RGB specifically. Their construction is different so they make a lot less noise in specific frequencies around 800-1100rpm. I first used regular ones and had to do all kind of workarounds for the high pitched noise issues. RGB version doesn’t really have that in comparison.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

parasyte posted:

That's right.

In theory it shouldn't matter if vsync is on through the control panel or the game or both, but in practice the driver guys definitely did it right and who knows if any given game did.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

repiv posted:

the most important thing is to cap your framerate just below the monitors max refresh rate, but you're not likely to exceed 240fps in most games anyway

Ooh, that's some good info on that link, thanks a bunch to both.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

hark posted:

biden's being a little baby about china

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

Full specs confirmed. Have a nice comparison table:

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Looks like the 4070 Ti Super will be a good buy if they don't go crazy on the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Looks like the 4070 Ti Super will be a good buy if they don't go crazy on the price

Those CHF prices were equivalent to the non super price, hopefully the non super stocks gets some discounts.