Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Air Skwirl posted:

Rainbow Rowell did the most recent Runaways, right?

Yeah.

I wasn't expecting to find neither a Captain America or a She Hulk run on someone's Top 3, so I'll have to go and give those comics a try at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rowell's She Hulk is a delight

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's just a really fun comic and I'm a sucker for the all the Jack of Hearts stuff.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Yeah I think Jack of Hearts and the fight club stuff was a lot of fun. Totally agree on cap as well, the Kelly & lanzing stuff was excellent & their thunderbolts is looking promising.

My top ten looks something like:

1) sins of sinister by gillen
2) ultimate invasion by hickman
3) moon knight by mackay
4) fantastic four by north
5) immortal x-men by gillen
6) captain america by lanzing & kelly
7) daredevil by zdarsky
8) doctor strange by mackay
9) incredible hulk by pkj
10) avengers inc by ewing

srypher fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 27, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking on Lanzing and Kelly, wow Timeless was a hell of a comic. I did not know what to expect going into that issue as I didn't even read the solicit but I loved it. Juan Cabal art didn't hurt of course. Not sure how many of those tiny peaks into the future are going to come true but it's definitely intriguing.

Also, drat Khonshu.

Regarding the end: I'm guessing the implication there is that this future Luke Cage is in the present Marvel Universe? I can't wait to see where this goes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
it's pretty astounding to me that Ewing has stuck with Marvel this whole time despite how often his series seem to get screwed over, like Avengers Inc cancelled at 5 issues? come on

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Raserys posted:

it's pretty astounding to me that Ewing has stuck with Marvel this whole time despite how often his series seem to get screwed over, like Avengers Inc cancelled at 5 issues? come on
I half suspect he's doing some kind of comics-as-occult-ritual like Morrison.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Raserys posted:

He knows what the sales numbers are. Just because a book is great, it doesn't mean anyone will bother picking it up. One of the eternal tragedies of the industry!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I think he’s probably happy enough. He got an all timer run on Hulk, got two good Ultimates runs (even if they got screwed by crossovers), he’s still on X-Men Red I think, and his Defenders minis are some of my favorite comics ever. Not everything can be a number one seller, but he’s churning out great content.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He seems to be okay with bouncing around the marvel universe because in all that time he's only done, like, just the one creator owned book (we only find them when they're dead)?

^^^ I hope we get another defenders soon

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He's got a hell of a run just starting on Thor. And has been regularly working on X-Men stuff as well. Did a decently long run on Guardians. Also he was on Venom for a while, which is a book I'm sure someone other than Gavok probably read. And of course had an all timer run on Hulk. That's why he gets the chance to write some of these books that last a little while but disappear. Nobody else would probably even get the chance.

Also let's not forget the Ewing classics like New Avengers/USAvengers and Loki. And I have a soft spot for his Contest of Champion book where he just threw in a bunch of fun characters and made a dumb game tie in a fun read.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 27, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Raserys posted:

I thought Avengers Inc was always billed as a five part miniseries?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

I thought Avengers Inc was always billed as a five part miniseries?

It was originally conceived of to be 12 I think. Brevoort has talked on his weekly Substack about how they had to accelerate the plot.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 27, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

He's got a hell of a run just starting on Thor. And has been regularly working on X-Men stuff as well. Did a decently long run on Guardians. Also he was on Venom for a while, which is a book I'm sure someone other than Gavok probably read. And of course had an all timer run on Hulk. That's why he gets the chance to write some of these books that last a little while but disappear. Nobody else would probably even get the chance.

Also let's not forget the Ewing classics like New Avengers/USAvengers and Loki. And I have a soft spot for his Contest of Champion book where he just threw in a bunch of fun characters and made a dumb game tie in a fun read.

He's still on Venom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

He's still on Venom.

I thought Gronbekk was on Venom now doing something with Black Widow having a symbiote?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

I thought Gronbekk was on Venom now doing something with Black Widow having a symbiote?

That was a fill-in arc, we're back to Ewing/Ram V as of the next issue I believe

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Ewing Venom stuff is definitely some of his weakest stuff in a while, which I found disappointing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wanted to like Avengers Inc but it just didn't land for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

It was originally conceived of to be 12 I think. Brevoort has talked on his weekly Substack about how they had to accelerate the plot.

That's a shame but I get it. I mean even if you slap Avengers on the cover in order to turn heads, I think a detective story starring the Wasp was always gonna be a tough sell for a lot of readers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Good on Marvel for giving it a chance. Ewing's been such a workhorse for the company, he deserves to take some wild swings on occasion.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I've never disliked an Ewing book. Venom, Inc, everything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well, I was wondering when Marvel would get around to finding an excuse to make Hank Pym old to sync up with the MCU. Now just curious to see how they'll find an excuse to make him alive again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I liked the wasps mini because I'm desperate for more unstoppable wasp content but avengers inc is okay. Hank Pym is probably one of the characters I least give a poo poo about returning tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the idea of a book about wasp solving mysteries more than i do the main mystery, here.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Al Ewing is doing a goddamn Labor of Hercules with Venom, he is carrying that on his back, It's still just OK. If you want a statue to be a masterpiece then you have to start with, if not marble, then at least something nice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Al Ewing is doing a goddamn Labor of Hercules with Venom, he is carrying that on his back, It's still just OK. If you want a statue to be a masterpiece then you have to start with, if not marble, then at least something nice.

I think the art is a big part of why I feel like the vibe is "Oh, I found some Hickman Avengers scraps in this dumpster. Why let them go to waste?" It's serviceable, but not really a story I care about being told with Eddie Brock.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's largely my personal biases talking here but when I read a Venom book I wanna see Venom(s) doing Venom poo poo like threatening to eat people's brains and being bad at superheroics (but effective at brutalizing people)

and not dealing with the fall out from the last bad 15~ or so years of symbiote story arcs

The bits I've read of Ewing's run were not capital B bad or anything but it felt a bit like tuning into a Spider-Man book and having it be no less than 60% about totem powers bullshit

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I do not care one bit about cosmic Venom. His kid learning how to be a hero is fine but I really just want lethal protector Venom where he's trying to be a good guy but going about it very poorly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Outside of that short pre-Donny Cates run that's just not who that character is anymore and hasn't been for, like, decades.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 31, 2023

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I actually do like the core concept of the cosmic Venom stuff, but I feel like it's too clever/complex by a half. Time travel, self fulfilling prophecies, secret identity reveals, but then also you start throwing in Doom and Kang and the split storylines and the wheels are starting to come off for me personally.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Outside of that short pre-Donny Cates run that's just not who that character is anymore and hasn't been for, like, decades.

Yeah and that's why I haven't liked Venom for decades.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I loved the Flash Thompson Venom stuff. Glad he gets to be in the surprising good new Carnage series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should do Lethal Protector in space. Like that Hulk storyline where he kept going to random universes and doing random Hulk poo poo, but it’s Venom going to random planets and trying to be a good guy by brutally murdering alien bad guys.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Year in review from the perspective of a casual reader who came back to marvel thanks to the 2022 black friday unlimited deal (renewed this year)

If the complete wasting of Tatiana Maslany's talent is what we needed to get She-hulk her first good book since the 90s, I'll take it.

Clobberin' Time fuckin ruled because it was Ben Grimm and this week's special guest being confronted with something not meant to be clobberable and clobbering it anyway, plus art that was the perfect mix of :buddy: and :gonk:

I liked the Karma and Gwenpool arcs of Love Unlimited. The Gwenpool one especially made a lot of people mad that I liked seeing mad.

Betsy Braddock Captain Britain, had a lot of fun with it, kind of annoyed that the character seemed to get dropped like a potato right after that series and before fall of X so who knows where she is. The downside is that every time I see Kwannon!Psylocke now I have a hard time sensing any actual characterization from her. I'm sure she's intended to have a personality but I don't see it.

I've read the first issue of JMS' captain america and I'm waiting to see if Good JMS or Bad JMS turns up. Surprised it hasn't reference hawkguy at all but I don't know what if anything has gone on in the clint barton neighborhood.

Finally, the elephant in the room of Fall of X. Marvel just can't help announcing some big Hickman project as PERMANENT WON'T BE UNDONE and then undoing it as soon as he goes and does something else. Knowing that they would inevitably undo it even before the announcement of the plotline kept me from enjoying the Krakoa arc, and I have next to no interest in Arakko.

I saw the rumors leaked on 4chan and I'm here for Gail Simone writing a Jubilee led Uncanny with Laura!Wolverine and Dazzler, since that's one character short of X-Terminators.

Finally, no divorces allowed next year, all of the married marvel couples I read this year were great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the problem that Kwannon has is that Fallen Angels was just such a bomb that it kind of made it hard for them to do a ton with her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

xarph posted:

Finally, the elephant in the room of Fall of X. Marvel just can't help announcing some big Hickman project as PERMANENT WON'T BE UNDONE and then undoing it as soon as he goes and does something else. Knowing that they would inevitably undo it even before the announcement of the plotline kept me from enjoying the Krakoa arc, and I have next to no interest in Arakko.
Ironically Hickman moved on because all of the other X-Writers wanted to keep playing in the Krakoan sandbox, apparently.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. Hickman was getting paid too much to just do a monthly X-Men book. He either had to do some big wrap up event or move forward with the Ultimate stuff. He’s probably getting away with GODS because it’s original IP for Marvel, and that they’ll recoup his costs with said Ultimate books.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rick posted:

I think the problem that Kwannon has is that Fallen Angels was just such a bomb that it kind of made it hard for them to do a ton with her.

hellions say hello

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Right, the Hickman era wasn't supposed to go this long. But it was such a hit they kept it going and he handed off his notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Rick posted:

I really wanted Fallen Angels to be good because I want to see what happens when "that body that Betsy has gotten abused for 30 years" finally has a soul.