Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dameius posted:

If we're talking about a decarbonized grid in the scope of climate change we need to not forget that the grid will also need to provide a 1:1 replacement including future growth of every joule of energy oil is providing for the transportation industry which is going to be significant for whatever grid mix you're proposing.

It will also be a very predictable, dare I say baseline (:v:), demand.

Not really. Charging batteries is an extremely dispatch able demand. And so is charging a thermal battery using a heat pump.
Pretty much there opposite of baseload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Saukkis posted:

We need two simple rules. Increasing CO2 is forbidden and your power plant needs to provide stable power at all times. The industry can then decide if they want to build renewables with large scale storage, nuclear, or coal plant with proven sequestration system.

So pretty much what China has been doing, why aren't other nations doing the same? Seems like a lot of talk but either nothing is being done or actually going backwards in the case of the Germans.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

So pretty much what China has been doing, why aren't other nations doing the same? Seems like a lot of talk but either nothing is being done or actually going backwards in the case of the Germans.

China is making massive state investment into all flavor of power infrastructure. Renewable, fossil, nuclear, hydro, storage, transmission.
If you believe that investing into renewables are intrinsically anti-nuclear, they are anti nuclear.
If believe that investing into power infrastructure is intrinsically anti-nuclear, they are anti-nuclear.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GlassEye-Boy posted:

So pretty much what China has been doing, why aren't other nations doing the same?

That's a great question.

No, really, that's a great question.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dameius posted:

If we're talking about a decarbonized grid in the scope of climate change we need to not forget that the grid will also need to provide a 1:1 replacement including future growth of every joule of energy oil is providing for the transportation industry which is going to be significant for whatever grid mix you're proposing.

It will also be a very predictable, dare I say baseline (:v:), demand.

So I dunno, I feel like that we can still get the global average temp going back down even if we're still burning oil for industrial processes like making plastics and lubricants as long as basically what industries we CAN switch to clean energy and like 95% of consumer and consumer civilian transportation switches over. I don't think we need to literally find every single grimy thing and greenify it, just the things that mostly form the cornerstone of a first world standard of living and as much as that supply/industrial chain as is reasonable.

Son of Rodney posted:

This thread also thinks nuclear is somehow, magically, against all reality a solution to climate change, so I'm a bit wary about those bring ups. Also I've mentioned it before: base load generation does not equal fossil or nuclear generators, it only means theres a necessary minimum power requirement that needs to be fulfilled. Wind can be baseload, solar can be baseload, the issue is not falling under a minimum threshold.

I've read multiple studies and models over the years claiming it's completely feasible to get to 100 percent renewables in Australia, including this one . What are the arguments against this?

Everything I've read or heard suggests Australia is absolutely abundant with potential hydro storage locations, this government brief is a good summary
I assumed biogas, which is technically renewable, is equally feasible. Before battery and/or hydrogen become a major player I'd assume this would be tapped earlier as it's an established technology and relatively cost competitive.

Being basically made of open space and renewable resources I've not seen anything to suggest that it could not become 100 percent (or as close to it as possible) quite quickly. You could of course argue about the semantics of a 100 percent vs say a 97 percent system, as those last few percentage points are the tricky ones, or the fact that australia has a spread out population with different grid requirements, but that's just arguing for the sake of it.

What realities of nuclear are we talking about here and solving climate change, assuming that article is correct at face value, is beyond just australia you're aware of that right? Even if Australia can switch to 90% renewables, which would be tremendous, the rest of the world cannot.

In general it'll be interesting to see if pumped hydro works out and lets Tasmania completely be free of the national grid/fossil fuel baseload power generation then that will indeed be promising but it seems like we don't have a lot of data yet to see how much this actually works to allow for near 100% renewables in practice and how it can work for the rest of Australia.

Doing some googling there's some contradictory claims, the paper linked suggests the sites don't take a lot of space and there's many such spaces available across australia, but another paper claims it has many of the same problems of nuclear; high lead times and cost; and that also the actual practical sites for pumped hydro are actually scarce?

Additionally it seems like the paper handwaved or minimized environmental costs on local wildlife, another paper presses the concern much more, but Idk, I kinda feel like if we want things like high speed rail and a decarbonized economy we might need to handwave some of those concerns for the good of the many outweighing the needs of the few. Idk, but it seems like there's other papers that suggest that pumped hydro isn't a miracle silver bullet.

It also seems like pumped hydro is not free of controversy, such as because of the above mentioned environmental issues (which again, idk), maybe environmental groups are being astroturfed by the fossil fuel lobby?

Also just like nuclear, apparently the Snowy 2.0 project has faced, you guessed it, runaway cost inflation. From 2 billion$ to 5.1bn$? And delays and so on.

Tumut 3 one article I found claimed is being plagued with technical issues, and not been at full capacity for years, and so on. Maybe that article is biased; but if we're going to say "nuclear has issues and we shouldn't do it, because this other WIP unproven system is much better" we gotta consider and factor in that at least on a surface level are also plagued by many of the same issues and relying on it for ~90+% renewables in Ozland might not happen in practice, while nuclear reactors do exist and work well?

Articles, I cannot ascertain their credibility, but lets consider that there is at least allegedly a controversy here:

https://www.saveeungella.com.au/pos...and%20wildlife.

https://www.afr.com/companies/energy/pumped-hydro-takes-time-and-stamina-which-australia-may-not-have-20230406-p5cykp

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topic...r%20two%20dams.

So maybe I wouldn't be so sure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

China is doing a very significant buildout of coal.

https://energyandcleanair.org/publication/chinas-new-coal-power-spree-continues-as-more-provinces-jump-on-the-bandwagon/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

We've covered this before, but this is a bit misleading; they're expanding coal because they literally cannot expand any other energy infrastructure fast enough to meet their needs; they're capped out on what they can support for nuclear and renewables. Whenever the share of coal vs everything graphs come up it always looks like the overall share of coal is nonetheless decreasing relative to the growth of all over greener sources which is what we care about. That the amount of coal power generation increasing in absolute terms is just a fact without a practical alternative solution for their needs but once that is likely to keep on in a positive trend overall.

I think as more of their existing nuclear comes online and new modular nuclear technologies and better renewable tech comes online the absolute numbers will reach an inflection point.

Also iirc a lot of that coal expansion is replacing older dirtier plants with better more modern ones that can have their coal burners swapped with greener energy production.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Raenir Salazar posted:

We've covered this before, but this is a bit misleading;

No, the claim that China has said "Increasing CO2 is forbidden and your power plant needs to provide stable power at all times. The industry can then decide if they want to build renewables with large scale storage, nuclear, or coal plant with proven sequestration system" is inaccurate. China is still building a lot of coal and increasing CO2.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

No, the claim that China has said "Increasing CO2 is forbidden and your power plant needs to provide stable power at all times. The industry can then decide if they want to build renewables with large scale storage, nuclear, or coal plant with proven sequestration system" is inaccurate. China is still building a lot of coal and increasing CO2.

What. No one claimed this? You've misread the conversation I feel.

I think you've misunderstood that this post was aspirational in general:

Saukkis posted:

We need two simple rules. Increasing CO2 is forbidden and your power plant needs to provide stable power at all times. The industry can then decide if they want to build renewables with large scale storage, nuclear, or coal plant with proven sequestration system.

And like mistook it to mean it was referring to China?

Edit, actually I did misread and didn't realize you were responding to GlassEyeBoy, my apologies but:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

But I still think you're reading the "pretty much" a little literally. I suspect they know from previous conversations in the thread that China has been expanding coal, but I can't speak for them so maybe they didn't; I do think that the substance of the post is that the China model is presumably still despite the coal an improvement over many other nations because they're still rolling out nuclear plants in addition to renewables.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 26, 2023

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I dunno, I feel like that we can still get the global average temp going back down even if we're still burning oil for industrial processes like making plastics and lubricants as long as basically what industries we CAN switch to clean energy and like 95% of consumer and consumer civilian transportation switches over.

Just as an aside, temperatures are going to be high for awhile. The ocean acts as a giant thermal battery for the atmosphere, with an estimated 91% of excess heat from greenhouse gases being stored in it.

That's a lot of heat that needs to get exchanged.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Beep boop.

This is why everyone took the COVID vaccine, because the money the government dumped into PR easily overwhelmed the free conspiracy theories.

Most people did take the vaccine, and you don't need unanimous consensus to build nuclear power

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic posted:

No, the claim that China has said "Increasing CO2 is forbidden and your power plant needs to provide stable power at all times. The industry can then decide if they want to build renewables with large scale storage, nuclear, or coal plant with proven sequestration system" is inaccurate.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What. No one claimed this?

Saukkis posted:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

So pretty much what China has been doing, why aren't other nations doing the same?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

You should read the rest of that post.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I dunno, I feel like that we can still get the global average temp going back down

That ship sailed a long time ago, even if we brought our net carbon to zero we would still be experiencing increasing global temperature for a generation or more due to positive feedback effects. Our goal is now less of an increase

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

You should read the rest of that post.

You should read the part where it claimed something that wasn't true.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

You should read the part where it claimed something that wasn't true.

And I content I don't think it made the claim you think it did, and in any case it isn't very productive or helpful to focus on one minor aspect of the post and not the actual substance of it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

And I content I don't think it made the claim you think it did, and in any case it isn't very productive or helpful to focus on one minor aspect of the post and not the actual substance of it.

I think the claim that China has told electricity generators they're not allowed to produce more CO2 is a pretty significant claim and one worth pointing out the inaccuracy of.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

I think the claim that China has told electricity generators they're not allowed to produce more CO2 is a pretty significant claim and one worth pointing out the inaccuracy of.

GlassEye-Boy can clarify their position but I think the idea that they were making a "pretty significant claim" is a bit at odds with their actual word choice of "pretty much" which sounds more like a figurative turn of phrase.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Raenir Salazar posted:

GlassEye-Boy can clarify their position but I think the idea that they were making a "pretty significant claim" is a bit at odds with their actual word choice of "pretty much" which sounds more like a figurative turn of phrase.

Where do you think "pretty much" falls on the scale?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I like the person who clearly answered wrong deliberately but wasn't removed from the dataset outliers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Flappy Bert posted:

Where do you think "pretty much" falls on the scale?

Hahaha I love this chart.

My assumption is what they "meant" is like, "China is doing something along these lines, to an extent that significantly speaking they are doing it more/better than most other countries" because of the rest of the post in question:

quote:

why aren't other nations doing the same? Seems like a lot of talk but either nothing is being done or actually going backwards in the case of the Germans.

I read it as GEB mainly talking in terms to what they perceive, the constructive response instead of nitpicking the fact about China's increase of coal energy generation, is to dig deeper into what "other countries are doing" or not doing.

I have a vague sense that under Biden the US has actually been doing quite a lot, and despite the Trump years some states like California, went ahead and did things with effects on the rest of the country; Canada I get the sense that switching to greener energy and production methods seem like a thing that's being promoted but I'm not otherwise familiar with what they're doing past that.

France has a lot of nuclear power but also had problems where they had to take some of it offline, I don't know if they're working on capitalizing on it further; Finland brought a new nuclear plant online with district heating I think?

I'm unclear on what Japan is doing or any other country, and I think this is what we should be focusing on because its very interesting and I'd like to know more.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I like the person who clearly answered wrong deliberately but wasn't removed from the dataset outliers.

Behold the power of the box and whisker plot

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

Traditional baseload generation is inherently very "stiff" because it's based on coal / nuclear / hydro generation that use huge synchronous generators that have a ton of rotational inertia*. This means they will absorb load fluctuation quite well without affecting the system frequency much (if at all).

On the other hand, solar and to a degree wind use (HV) inverters that do not handle such spikes nearly as well, which means your entire grid loses stability as you add in more renewables based on wind and solar. That's on top of the varying output from solar.

As an example, the Danish grid ran out of power reserves because of a big solar farm earlier in 2023.

TU article translated to English: https://s.wibla.net/2023-12-26_14-53-29.pdf

There is work being done to control inverters in such a way that they can add stability, I have no idea how far along that work has come.

The graph in that first article is very misleading as it is not of a large solar power plant. 8MW is not much larger than a couple community solar gardens here in the US and doesn’t represent what a 600MW plants output will look like. That example plant also seems to have little dc or ac overbuild. The impact of clouds is highly dependent on the overbuild and control scheme set points of the plant - that example could be fixed easily by adjusting the ramp rate of the inverters to something sane. Utility scale plants usually have around 1.3-1.5x dc power to ac interconnection limits will see much less variability except under extreme cases. Irradiance tends to change much slower when averaged out over a few square miles.

I also wouldn’t call synchronous sources stiff as (depending on the topology of the power system) they can require control systems that operate in fractions of a second for fault conditions external to the generator. They also are much slower to respond to step changes in load conditions. Synchronous generation sources can take minutes if not hours to go from 0-100% while an inverter based resource which change from 0-100% in a few seconds. IBRs can also ride though a fault condition practically indefinitely. Calling certain synchronous machines stiff really only makes sense in the context of comparing different types of synchronous machines (hydro vs steam vs combustion turbine or reciprocating engine).

As for inverters that can help stabilize the grid the work has already been completed on grid forming inverters, they have been around and deployed in smaller installations (typically micro grid apps) for a few years now. Larger scale deployment isn’t done mostly due to regulations not requiring that type of control method or outright banning it and institutional inertia dragging their feet on updating requirements until it actually becomes a problem.

The only issue (and it is a big one) that deploying wind and solar have today is the requirement that electricity shall always be available which is something wind and solar cannot do without a lot of overbuild, storage, and new transmission line infrastructure. Grid stability is more or less a solved problem with IBRs as long as you make the assumption that there is enough power available.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

freezepops posted:

The impact of clouds is highly dependent on the overbuild and control scheme set points of the plant - that example could be fixed easily by adjusting the ramp rate of the inverters to something sane. Utility scale plants usually have around 1.3-1.5x dc power to ac interconnection limits will see much less variability except under extreme cases.

I deal with the smaller side of plants, usually around 5MW, and DC overbuild being for continuity of power vice inverter losses was something I had not known about before entering the field. Inverters are crazy efficient nowadays, a fun fact I got to drop on my older engineering relatives.
Also, DC overbuild is something smaller sites sometimes miss during design. I ran into one that had only a 1.05x overbuild and I live in the not so sunny north. That place is never, ever going to hit nameplate. Maybe during the summer solstice.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news (good for a change), SunZia is moving forward...which is pretty atypical for such a big new transmission project in the US.

quote:

$11 billion SunZia clean energy project — biggest in history — starts construction

Pattern Energy Group LP, a leader in renewable energy and transmission infrastructure, has closed an $11 billion non-recourse financing and begun full construction of SunZia Transmission and SunZia Wind, which together is the largest clean energy infrastructure project in U.S. history. When completed, this project will transport up to 4,500 megawatts of primarily renewable energy from New Mexico to markets in Arizona and California, furthering the Biden-Harris administration’s historic climate and clean energy goals.

SunZia Transmission is a 550-mile ± 525 kV high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission line between central New Mexico and south-central Arizona with the capacity to transport 3,000 MW of clean, reliable, and affordable electricity across Western states. SunZia Transmission will deliver clean power generated by Pattern Energy’s 3,515 MW SunZia Wind facility, the largest wind project in the Western Hemisphere, which is being constructed across Torrance, Lincoln, and San Miguel Counties in New Mexico.

The SunZia Transmission Project is composed of two planned 500-kilovolt transmission lines located across approximately 520 miles of federal, state and private lands between central New Mexico and central Arizona. The permitted route originates at a planned substation in Torrance County, New Mexico, and terminates at the existing Pinal Central Substation in Pinal County, Arizona. The project traverses Grant, Hidalgo, Lincoln, Luna, Sierra, Socorro, Torrance and Valencia counties in New Mexico and Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, Pima and Pinal counties in Arizona. The project has committed to the highest workforce standards and will utilize union labor and trades.

This groundbreaking financing includes an integrated construction loan and letter of credit facility, two separate term facilities, an operating phase letter of credit facility, an innovative tax equity term loan facility and a holding company loan facility.

(...)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Have we done any HVDC transmission in the US before?

I remember hearing about it before for the EU but was not aware of us rolling it out in the U.S. Glad to see they were able to get the ball rolling on this though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Senor P. posted:

Have we done any HVDC transmission in the US before?

Yes, lots. The Pacific DC intertie is 1300 kilometers of HVDC.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Speaking of HDVC, Viking Link Just came online!

quote:

The world’s longest land and subsea interconnector just came online
https://electrek.co/2023/12/29/worlds-longest-land-subsea-interconnector-viking-link/

The world’s longest land and subsea interconnector – between the UK and Denmark – started commercial operations today.

The new Viking Link electricity interconnector has a capacity of 1.4 gigawatts (GW) and stretches for 475 miles under land and sea. It joins the Bicker Fen substation in Lincolnshire with the Revsing substation in southern Jutland, Denmark.

High wind generation outputs in the UK and Denmark are unlikely to happen simultaneously, so surplus energy will be transmitted through the interconnector to where the level of demand is higher.

The £1.7 billion ($2.16 billion) project is a joint venture between the UK’s National Grid and Danish national transmission system operator Energinet. National Grid says that the world’s longest land and subsea interconnector can transport enough electricity for up to 2.5 million UK homes, bringing over £500 million ($637 million) of cumulative savings for UK consumers over the next decade, thanks to cheaper imported power from Denmark.

Initially, Viking Link will be operating at a capacity of 800 megawatts (MW) before increasing over time to 1.4 GW over the coming year.

In its first year of operation, Viking Link is expected to save around 600,000 tonnes of carbon emissions – equivalent to taking roughly 280,000 cars off the road.

(...)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

40% of US electricity is now emissions-free
Good news as natural gas, coal, and solar see the biggest changes.

Just before the holiday break, the US Energy Information Agency released data on the country's electrical generation. Because of delays in reporting, the monthly data runs through October, so it doesn't provide a complete picture of the changes we've seen in 2023. But some of the trends now seem locked in for the year: wind and solar are likely to be in a dead heat with coal, and all carbon-emissions-free sources combined will account for roughly 40 percent of US electricity production.

(...)

quote:

Hydroelectric production has dropped by about six percent since last year, causing it to slip from 6.1 percent to 5.8 percent of the total production. Depending on the next couple of months, that may allow solar to pass hydro on the list of renewables.

Combined, the three major renewables account for about 22 percent of year-to-date electricity generation, up about 0.5 percent since last year. They're up by even more in the October data, placing them well ahead of both nuclear and coal.

Nuclear itself is largely unchanged, allowing it to pass coal thanks to the latter's decline. Its output has been boosted by a new, 1.1 Gigawatt reactor that come online this year (a second at the same site, Vogtle in Georgia, is set to start commercial production at any moment). But that's likely to be the end of new nuclear capacity for this decade; the challenge will be keeping existing plants open despite their age and high costs.

If we combine nuclear and renewables under the umbrella of carbon-free generation, then that's up by nearly 1 percent since 2022 and is likely to surpass 40 percent for the first time.

The only thing that's keeping carbon-free power from growing faster is natural gas, which is the fastest-growing source of generation at the moment, going from 40 percent of the year-to-date total in 2022 to 43.3 percent this year. (It's actually slightly below that level in the October data.) The explosive growth of natural gas in the US has been a big environmental win, since it creates the least particulate pollution of all the fossil fuels, as well as the lowest carbon emissions per unit of electricity. But its use is going to need to start dropping soon if the US is to meet its climate goals, so it will be critical to see whether its growth flat lines over the next few years.

Outside of natural gas, however, all the trends in US generation are good, especially considering that the rise of renewable production would have seemed like an impossibility a decade ago. Unfortunately, the pace is currently too slow for the US to have a net-zero electric grid by the end of the decade.

I don't get how natural gas is such a good thing..they are not going to destroy all those power stations and lines in a decade, they are building to last.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dante80 posted:

Just before the holiday break, the US Energy Information Agency released data on the country's electrical generation. Because of delays in reporting, the monthly data runs through October, so it doesn't provide a complete picture of the changes we've seen in 2023. But some of the trends now seem locked in for the year: wind and solar are likely to be in a dead heat with coal, and all carbon-emissions-free sources combined will account for roughly 40 percent of US electricity production.

(...)

I don't get how natural gas is such a good thing..they are not going to destroy all those power stations and lines in a decade, they are building to last.

Natural gas fills some gaps that are difficult to cover with renewables, at least until storage starts being built at scale. I'll use Texas as my example, since that's where I'm from. Texas has equal or greater renewable capacity than any other state in the US. We faced record heat this past summer, and solar and wind both performed very well. The problem, as always, is when the sun isn't shining and there's no wind. Fortunately that's not a common occurrence, but it does occur. Similarly, NG can be spun up very rapidly if necessary. It's expensive to do so, but it can fill in for peak demand and surges.

Ideally we'd be firing up new nuclear to provide a stable baseline, but for reasons that have been pointed out, it's politically unpopular, and economically disastrous. Until someone comes up with a truly modular reactor that can be built and deployed rapidly (and is politically feasible), we're going to need some combination of excess capacity and a lot of storage to cover the gaps when generation slows.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Dante80 posted:

(...)

The plan at several of the new gas plants I've been to was to start blending in H2 to the gas mixture in the future, ideally the H2 would be generated with surplus renewable electricity. They never really explained the timeline on that but designed the plants to burn a mixture in the turbines.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dante80 posted:

(...)

At least in Europe, a lot of the new gas plants coming online are intended to be around for a very long time. They will either be mothballed and only reactivated shortly during rare dunkelflaute weather events that only happen every 2-3 years or so(doesn't make economic sense to have a storage solution for something so rare) or intended to be switched over to hydrogen at some point.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Dante80 posted:

(...)

all the latest and greatest fancy modeling, for california and australia, says you need to maintain 30 - 40% gas *capacity* to get through the 10 worst days of the winter in a "what if we just massively rolled out wind and solar" scenario. a lot of other colder places it could be 100 days.

even in a highly optimistic scenario LFP & Na+ storage they'll never get us more than 2 of those days. there arent enough rivers to dam to get us the remaining days, and geothermal continues to be a science project.

so even if we had perfect policy (nationalize the gas plants and use them only as a supplier-of-last-resort) we still need roughly this amount of gas turbine generation capacity. we just need to fix the 'economics' (policy) of them to only run them on those 10 - 100 days, instead of year round. keep in mind *we already* store about a one year buffer supply of natural gas underground: https://ir.eia.gov/ngs/ngs.html

essentially we can just think of that as the emergency-winter-reserve battery, like an SPR but for the grid.

keep in mind the usual d&d goon answer of NUKULAR is much worse here because the idle-capital-cost of gas plants is like a full order of magnitude lower than than a fission plant.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why does cost matter when trying to decarbonize the grid? How is it worse? Is it worse for the tax payer? Worse for emissions? Seems to me that the CO2 emissions of nuclear is about an order of magnitude lower than natural gas so maybe the premium is worth it?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Thanks for the replies friends. I hadn't thought about hydrogen really (actually forgot about it to be exact).

Also, I remember reading that EGS can/will be used for collocation or converting said plants.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why does cost matter when trying to decarbonize the grid? How is it worse? Is it worse for the tax payer? Worse for emissions? Seems to me that the CO2 emissions of nuclear is about an order of magnitude lower than natural gas so maybe the premium is worth it?

Costs matter because energy prices factor into most modern human economic activity (we have seen this recently with the massive spike in inflation due to the Ukraine invasion price shock on the natural gas markets). It has nothing to do with the way an economy is organized (market oriented or centrally planned) and is just fundamental to current modern society.

A fully renewable grid with storage and mothballed backup green hydrogen gas plants is not significantly more or less carbon intensive than one that still has 10-20% nuclear in it. Right now it looks like there are only going to be disadvantages to keeping nuclear plants online once we reach that point. This might of course still change with technological development like cheap modular reactors, etc.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

SpeedFreek posted:

The plan at several of the new gas plants I've been to was to start blending in H2 to the gas mixture in the future, ideally the H2 would be generated with surplus renewable electricity. They never really explained the timeline on that but designed the plants to burn a mixture in the turbines.
H2 energy storage ia difficult and scales up worse than batteries.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
H2 seems like future tech without some kind of storage improvement. I would prefer the new plants built to be nuclear but whats getting built is replacing coal and that's better than carrying on as we have been.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GABA ghoul posted:

Costs matter because energy prices factor into most modern human economic activity (we have seen this recently with the massive spike in inflation due to the Ukraine invasion price shock on the natural gas markets). It has nothing to do with the way an economy is organized (market oriented or centrally planned) and is just fundamental to current modern society.

A fully renewable grid with storage and mothballed backup green hydrogen gas plants is not significantly more or less carbon intensive than one that still has 10-20% nuclear in it. Right now it looks like there are only going to be disadvantages to keeping nuclear plants online once we reach that point. This might of course still change with technological development like cheap modular reactors, etc.

Yes costs matter but MightyBigMinus's phrasing here:

quote:

keep in mind the usual d&d goon answer of NUKULAR is much worse here because the idle-capital-cost of gas plants is like a full order of magnitude lower than than a fission plant.

Needs scrutiny. The relative expenses and costs of nuclear don't necessarily translate to higher costs to the average electricity consumer once built and running; so nuclear being the "worse" choice as presented her is as I like say, an extraordinary claim that needs extraordinary evidence.

Also we don't have a fully renewable grid, nor do we have afaik, full hydrogen gas plants capable of replacing natural gas plants, so this seems like an odd comparison? A quick google suggests that the only operational hydrogen plants are natgas who use a blend. That's better than coal but not better than nuclear as of now.

And also well no, nuclear power plants provide all sorts of other benefits than power, for medical devices, research, materials, and possible supply of reactor fuel for fusion plants if that technology does continue to progress, so even in this hypothetical scenario you still want to keep the existing fission reactors going and to replace them with newer designs as they're developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

keep in mind the usual d&d goon answer of NUKULAR is much worse here because the idle-capital-cost of gas plants is like a full order of magnitude lower than than a fission plant.*

* if we decide to say "gently caress it, climate change is fine"