Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Flesh Forge posted:

the prosthetic balls were called Neuticles, not the dogs

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Neutered males can also be aggressive towards unneutered males. This was a problem for Pickwick when he was at daycare before he got neutered but was a year or so old and I guess making hormone smells. If your dog isn't around other dogs much it isn't such an issue.

Seconding that dog balls look kinda gross, even tho Pickwick's were mostly hidden by long hair.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Gabriel has an absolutely DIRE case of doo doo rear end this morning so we're going to have fun learning how to get bathed
mental note to shave his rear end from time to time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

One of my sisters actually got a set of prosthetic balls for each of her two male dogs that she adopted, called "Neuticles"
She said the vet was so excited when they asked him to implant them, "Wow I've heard about these but never seen them before" :swoon:

e: the prosthetic balls were called Neuticles, not the dogs

This is incredibly fuckin weird

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I know right, they are still in business it turns out:
https://neuticles.com/neuticles-original/

e: If you are ever thinking to yourself, "am I too weird about my dogs?" here is a benchmark

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo has been neutered since I got him from the rescue and we've had no issues whatsoever. Happy dude dog.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly if you are not going to spay / neuter your dogs you definitely have to be a lot more involved and on it as an owner and for the long haul too.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I am going to get Odie the BIGGEST BALLS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly if you are not going to spay / neuter your dogs you definitely have to be a lot more involved and on it as an owner and for the long haul too.

ngl not having to worry about ball cancer has been a huge plus. Also "marking, wandering, fights with other males" - Apollo doesn't mark, doesn't wander and it's great. He does want to fight with other dogs, which is an issue and a failure of me as an owner, but I compensate by not taking him to the dog park and if he goes aggro on another dog while we're walking I get us out of the bark range.

(Weirdly enough he's completely fine at doggie daycare, so I suspect when he's with me he's into "MUST PROTECT STRIX" mode which is thanks but knock it off buddy)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When I was younger my mother had a huge animal hoarding problem and it boiled down to having a house full of inbred dogs because she couldn't bring herself to neuter/spay any of them so, yeah since adulthood I have never had a pet that was not spayed/neutered.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If you don't plan to breed your dog I can't imagine a good reason to leave it intact beyond whatever is recommended for growth for its breed

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

StrixNebulosa posted:

ngl not having to worry about ball cancer has been a huge plus. Also "marking, wandering, fights with other males" - Apollo doesn't mark, doesn't wander and it's great. He does want to fight with other dogs, which is an issue and a failure of me as an owner, but I compensate by not taking him to the dog park and if he goes aggro on another dog while we're walking I get us out of the bark range.

(Weirdly enough he's completely fine at doggie daycare, so I suspect when he's with me he's into "MUST PROTECT STRIX" mode which is thanks but knock it off buddy)

I've got a rescued terrier mix who apparently was neutered late in life. Guy is marking everywhere and through sheer force of will finally got him crate-trained. Are there any tips for helping older male dogs re-learn how to STOP marking everywhere they go?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think that's all that much related to ball-having, dogs just do that naturally. They literally never empty their bladders because this is instinctive behavior, the best you can do is teach them the good places to go are Outside.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flesh Forge posted:

I know right, they are still in business it turns out:
https://neuticles.com/neuticles-original/

e: If you are ever thinking to yourself, "am I too weird about my dogs?" here is a benchmark

Im not clicking, someone else explain why there's an "original" at the end of the link.
they needed to make more than one doggy implant?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I couldn't find anything about an updated product but I did find the Neuticles earrings. A great gift for that special somebody in your life who wants to wear fake dog testicles as jewelry.

https://neuticles.com/product/neuticles-earrings/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
can i get some for my truck

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Dog came in with a fair pit of blood on her paw. Took her into the tub, cleaned her off. Looking for the cut...

"Honey, good news! It's not her blood. Bad news! It's not her blood"

Thus continues this new chapter in my life as a rabbit executioner. Goddamn dog. I wish she'd stop maiming things that wander into the backyard.
She scared off someone trying to kick in my back door a few weeks ago so she basically gets to live like a queen and do whatever she wants for the foreseeable future.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

My dog still has his original, non-prosthetic balls, on the advice of our vet and our veterinary behaviourist. We had always planned to neuter him once he'd finished growing, but he has a lot of anxiety issues and both of them said that castration would potentially make him more anxious (apparently because of the reduced testosterone?) So he's kept them for now and we've agreed to re-evaluate how things go.

The downsides are that neutered males occasionally start poo poo with him and a lot of boarders won't take him, but most boarders aren't a good fit for him anyway due to the aforementioned anxiety so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dog parks aren't really a thing where we live so that's not been an issue.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i agonized over whether to get iris desexed - she's the first dog i've had that i seriously considered breeding from - but the constant stream of purebred cattledogs marching through my local pound to an uncertain fate made up my mind. she came through the surgery with flying colours, the worst part was the cone, it's been three weeks now and you can't even see the scar anymore

my last dog didn't get his balls off until he was nine. his prostate was swelling up alarmingly and the desexing fixed it, he lived for another eight years. again, he barely seemed to notice they were gone!

(the saddest part is the shrivelled little empty purse of skin the surgery leaves behind, but that kind of retracts and becomes less visible)

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 27, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So yesterday and today Newton has started spending most of his chill time in the living room with me on his bed instead of just my room/ his crate. I checked the calendar and yeah, 3 weeks to the day.

Training starts tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Now you just have to look forward to that next 3 month milestone. Sounds like he is really settling in bless him..he's such a good looking boy too.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
He really is getting more comfortable. And now that his personality is coming out I am starting to see the husky in him.
His tail is definitely curlier, and he is very strong willed when he wants something (or doesn’t want something).

For example, laying in the back yard and not coming inside

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What a back yard

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
And so handsome

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

i own every Bionicle posted:

He really is getting more comfortable. And now that his personality is coming out I am starting to see the husky in him.
His tail is definitely curlier, and he is very strong willed when he wants something (or doesn’t want something).

For example, laying in the back yard and not coming inside

A gorgeous photo of a gorgeous dog. Those ears!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thank you, my friend took it with whatever the newest fanciest iPhone is.

The depth of focus definitely makes it look like I have an English wood for a backyard but the reality is I have just neglected raking and trimming up half-dead bushes and saplings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There's nothing like walking around the yard to find out how sick you are, goddamn am I winded

Apollo was SO happy to have company though and he brought me many sticks

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Finally have Freja eating regularly again, but we've had to cut her food back significantly to get her to eat two meals a day and finish them..

It's literally half of what she should be having and by all accounts it's not that unusual for a dog at her age to start being a dick and deciding what they want for themselves.

So if she's not going to eat more there's not much I can do other than keep trying to up her food regularly back to what it should be for her age and size. Don't get me wrong though, she's perfectly happy and doesn't seem out of sorts or anything in the slightest.

It's more us knowing what she should be having and her saying "actually the other dogs are making fun of my folds and loose skin so I'm going on a diet".

loving teenagers man. I know Bulldogs are meant to be stubborn but my god does she take it to the limits, this is just one thing in the last few weeks.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Alright, time for Coco's problem of the week (currently ten months old):

This girl is turning into a fussy eater and it's driving me up the wall. She'll eat (or try to eat) almost everything. Wet food? Dog treats? Blueberries, carrots, apples and pears? Yogurt? Peanut butter? The dead fish she found at the beach? The chicken and squash dish she got at the dog cafe? Gobbled down with no hesitation (we managed to keep her from eating the fish at the beach, don't worry).

But there's one thing she's just not interested in: kibble. So, we started to mix kibble with wet food. It worked for a bit, before she stopped touching it (she would root out the wet food and even licked kibble bits clean, too). We switched to a different brand, same problem. IF we mash the kibble into a generous portion of wet food and add a little hot water to soften it up, she'll eat it. But without making that mash, even if we soften it up with hot water, she won't touch it (although she will zealously guard her untouched bowl).

Am I doomed to have to deal with this forever? I just want her to voraciously eat her kibble like she did for the first eight months of her life.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Healthy dogs won’t starve themselves. If they don’t want a normal meal after 5 minutes it gets picked up and next meal they get to try again. Constantly adding stuff just makes them hold out for you to make it special. If you want to regularly add something that’s fine, there are things like blood powder sprinkles and liver dust that are easy to add long term, but if you’re going nuts adding a new topper every week why would they bother eating a normal meal?

Also most bags of food wildly overestimate how much a dog actually needs. If they are eating and not losing a bunch of weight it’s probably fine. My 50 lb highly active working dog only eats between 1-1.5 cups of food a day.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Healthy dogs won’t starve themselves. If they don’t want a normal meal after 5 minutes it gets picked up and next meal they get to try again. Constantly adding stuff just makes them hold out for you to make it special. If you want to regularly add something that’s fine, there are things like blood powder sprinkles and liver dust that are easy to add long term, but if you’re going nuts adding a new topper every week why would they bother eating a normal meal?

Also most bags of food wildly overestimate how much a dog actually needs. If they are eating and not losing a bunch of weight it’s probably fine. My 50 lb highly active working dog only eats between 1-1.5 cups of food a day.

This right here is what we are doing. Freja got to almost the exact same age and has started the exact same poo poo and it's a bit annoying. But soon as you cut the food back and start taking it up, they'll start eating it.

We went from 230g of dry food and half a tin of wet per meal, as is suggested for her size, all the way down to one meal a day, then both her meals back to half a tin of wet and 100g of dry and no treats or anything else till she started eating her meals.

We've just had 3 days of her eating both meals and have increased her dry food intake to 125g per meal now. If she does both for another 3 days, we will increase it again etc etc till we find where she's going to stop eating as she's obviously decided to regulate what she's eating herself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I listened to the advice on the back of the kibble bag, Pavlov would be getting something like 3x as much food as he actually needs. I swear those guidelines are written for adolescent sled dogs or something. As long as the dog is maintaining weight and active, they're fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis only eats when he's hungry, and only eats until he's full. I'm happy he's made it this easy on us.

The only annoyance is that he always wants food in his bowl, so if it's empty, he'll paw at it until we fill it.

Then he walks away and does whatever else he was planning on doing (loafing).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I listened to the advice on the back of the kibble bag, Pavlov would be getting something like 3x as much food as he actually needs. I swear those guidelines are written for adolescent sled dogs or something. As long as the dog is maintaining weight and active, they're fine.

That's correct, the bag directions tend to be very high, and if a dog isn't doing a full working dog activity load those directions will result in an overweight dog.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just ask your veterinarian how much to feed your dog. That's the only advice you need.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It also highly depends on the food you are giving.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Walking into a room, I can tell if my dog is sleeping in that room by smell alone. If he's awake, the smell isn't there. The same was true of my last dog. The smell is not the same for each one, but in both cases it's quite musty - it's not farts or breath from what I can tell.

Why do sleeping dogs smell this way?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Different respiration (deeper?) and paw perspiration is really all I can imagine. I noticed Jarvis's paws get clammy when he's waking up from deep sleep. But I've never noticed a different smell from sleeping. Definitely from a walk, though.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Thanks for the advice and opinions everyone. As mysteriously as it started, it stopped, exactly two weeks later. Coco is once again a voracious black hole with a never-ending appetite. Puppy tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Clowner posted:

Alright, time for Coco's problem of the week (currently ten months old):

This girl is turning into a fussy eater and it's driving me up the wall. She'll eat (or try to eat) almost everything. Wet food? Dog treats? Blueberries, carrots, apples and pears? Yogurt? Peanut butter? The dead fish she found at the beach? The chicken and squash dish she got at the dog cafe? Gobbled down with no hesitation (we managed to keep her from eating the fish at the beach, don't worry).

But there's one thing she's just not interested in: kibble. So, we started to mix kibble with wet food. It worked for a bit, before she stopped touching it (she would root out the wet food and even licked kibble bits clean, too). We switched to a different brand, same problem. IF we mash the kibble into a generous portion of wet food and add a little hot water to soften it up, she'll eat it. But without making that mash, even if we soften it up with hot water, she won't touch it (although she will zealously guard her untouched bowl).

Am I doomed to have to deal with this forever? I just want her to voraciously eat her kibble like she did for the first eight months of her life.

I think my feeding changes for Teddi ended up being:
1) Teddi arrived with a bag of kibble he was fed before arriving, to help with the transition to whatever kibble I had for him
2) We slowly transitioned the kibble and he stopped eating
3) Started mixing wet food into kibble, he would eat, but it was inconsistent
4) Eventually moved to full wet food, again he would eat, but it was inconsistent
5) Started feeding frozen "human-grade" food from Chewy with some rice, something like $120/month in food. It was hard on the wallet but Teddi would eat it.
6) Pandemic started and said food became unavailable entirely because of supply chain issues, so back to kibble. He wouldn't eat it.
7) Started mixing a single slice of deli ham torn up into his kibble and he would devour every bite of it.

If buying an extra $3/week of deli meet keeps my dog eating his food consistently so be it. :colbert:

Please give Coco some belly rubs they look like a very good corgi that Teddi would love to be friends with.