Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Alert for people still thinking to watch Rebel Moon:

The first hour of Child Of Fire: Netflix Cut is dope, but the second half (at basically the exact point that they get into space) is so badly hacked up by the studio that it's literally not even a completed movie. If you pay to watch the whole thing in this state, you are being ripped off.

Without hyperbole, the edits done to Snyder's WB films look tasteful and restrained by comparison. Like, I must begrudgingly admit that Josstice League is a better film overall.

Jesus that's brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still think I just emotionally hate Josstice League more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a deeply stupid and kind of hosed up film in hindsight. ESP with the WW boob joke used again

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Roth posted:

I still think I just emotionally hate Josstice League more.

I mean, it's a close call - but Whedon had his stupid vision, and actually went in and shot new stuff so that the resulting movie would 'make sense' and 'have a point'. Like, you can break down the numerous specific tiny edits done to maintain continuity due to how much was removed and altered. It's almost a remarkable achievement, even if the result is ugly in more ways than one.

The second half of Netflix Cut is like if Whedon hadn't filmed the new material, and instead just left those spots blank.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ooo thank you for sharing this

I have one irl buddy who's both the hugest Nolan-head and Snyder-hater, this will get some fun reactions out of him! He was unseemly gleeful when updating me with rebel moon's tomato score (he doesn't believe me when I say I don't care :shrug:)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hmm. Rebel Moon is half a good film where Josstice League was all of a bad one. Not sure I could reasonably recommend the latter over the former.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah rebel moon is like a good movie that you unfortunately left too often to go to the toilet whereas theres no amount of staying put and making GBS threads yourself that makes the first justice league any good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I’m starting to suspect that the R-Rated cut might be very R, in a “will probably make parents extremely unhappy” kind of way.

The weird release would make a degree of sense if they specifically wanted to market this as a ‘safe’ version of their Star Wars movie, for families around the holidays.

Personally, I am hoping for Army of Darkness Blood Fountain-levels of gore. In a scene completely unhinted at in the Netflix Cut, Kora picks up a space-lawnmower and goes to town on some space fascists.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The second half of Netflix Cut is like if Whedon hadn't filmed the new material, and instead just left those spots blank.

Still would've been better than Josstice League, more so if Whedon didn't gently caress with the score or color grading. The aesthetics and tone of Rebel Moon remain untouched despite the butchering it received for the PG13 cut. Through the sheer strength of Snyder's artistic sensibilities, Rebel Moon's Netflix cut ends up being mostly fine imo whereas Josstice League is completely poo poo.

[edit] Also Joss Whedon loving sucks. Just want to reiterate that.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 27, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m sure we are all across that true fact.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Take a controversial statement like that to the Rebel Moon thread!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

reignonyourparade posted:

Netflix is probably the most actual-data-possessing entity in the entire sphere. The traditional received wisdom was all Vibes with only two data points, how much money they made and how fast they made it, Netflix can pretty much actually concretely see how many people get turned off by how long of a movie, etc.

If you're going "I don't know why they would do X unless they've got data about that" you should probably strongly consider that the data does, in fact, suggest it's good business sense to do that.

The thing about Big Data is that, if not handled very carefully, it becomes Big Straightjacket. Companies stick to only what they know and fail to innovate; Big Data won't tell you how moving in a new direction works out so they simply...don't.

The other thing about Big Data is it's numbers in a world of humans, and art is very human. You can do the same thing that works 12 times but the 13th time it completely falls flat because the zeitgeist has moved on or things didn't line up in one of ten thousand ways that wasn't reflected in the Excel spreadsheet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alert for people still thinking to watch Rebel Moon:

The first hour of Child Of Fire: Netflix Cut is dope, but the second half (at basically the exact point that they get into space) is so badly hacked up by the studio that it's literally not even a completed movie. If you pay to watch the whole thing in this state, you are being ripped off.

Without hyperbole, the edits done to Snyder's WB films look tasteful and restrained by comparison. Like, I must begrudgingly admit that Josstice League is a better film overall.

How would you say it compares to the first half of Magnificent Seven? I've posted about it elsewhere but the recruitment section is functionally identical in both films. One doing menial labor on a farm, the other getting a badass fight and the other just having a quick conversation with before agreeing to join. The heroes visit each of them, have a few words and/or watch a showdown then they join up and don't say anything to each other in the montage leading up to the village. Except in Rebel Moon the film ends but in Magnificent Seven there's another hour left.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jimbot posted:

How would you say it compares to the first half of Magnificent Seven? I've posted about it elsewhere but the recruitment section is functionally identical in both films. One doing menial labor on a farm, the other getting a badass fight and the other just having a quick conversation with before agreeing to join. The heroes visit each of them, have a few words and/or watch a showdown then they join up and don't say anything to each other in the montage leading up to the village. Except in Rebel Moon the film ends but in Magnificent Seven there's another hour left.

I haven't seen Magnificent Seven, but you can easily have a breezy recruitment montage in a movie, or scenes of cool characters just saying "yeah, I'm in". (Widows has a good example). It's about conveying the necessary information in a short amount of time. The Netflix Cut is not doing that, because the information’s just missing.

teagone posted:

Still would've been better than Josstice League, more so if Whedon didn't gently caress with the score or color grading. The aesthetics and tone of Rebel Moon remain untouched despite the butchering it received for the PG13 cut. Through the sheer strength of Snyder's artistic sensibilities, Rebel Moon's Netflix cut ends up being mostly fine imo whereas Josstice League is completely poo poo.

I prefer an bad movie over an unfinished movie. The second half of Netflix Cut plays out like a deleted scenes compilation, or one of those youtube videos where somebody puts a bunch of cutscenes in chronological order and calls it "[Videogame]: The Movie". It's straight-up lost media.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 27, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I haven't seen Magnificent Seven,

???

!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Widows does have an excellent example of that scene.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“My life sucks since my husband/lover/sugar daddy blew up in a van, gently caress it, let’s be legends” does work pretty well as a shorthand, the drama version of Rick & Morty’s “you son of a bitch, I’m in”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I haven't seen Magnificent Seven, but you can easily have a breezy recruitment montage in a movie, or scenes of cool characters just saying "yeah, I'm in". (Widows has a good example). It's about conveying the necessary information in a short amount of time. The Netflix Cut is not doing that, because the information’s just missing.

I rofled a little when Noble addresses everybody in the final scene and goes Prince Tarak of Grsmpf like it's supposed to mean anything.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I also lol'd at that, it's genuinely funny because you can immediately guess his silly backstory.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Army of Thieves has a quick and fun recruitment portion. It did help also we got some extra background on people from those awesome opening credits.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah rebel moon is like a good movie that you unfortunately left too often to go to the toilet whereas theres no amount of staying put and making GBS threads yourself that makes the first justice league any good.

Christ this is a good analogy hahahahaha

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I prefer an bad movie over an unfinished movie. The second half of Netflix Cut plays out like a deleted scenes compilation, or one of those youtube videos where somebody puts a bunch of cutscenes in chronological order and calls it "[Videogame]: The Movie". It's straight-up lost media.

This is spot on goddamn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

But this the best way to enjoy the mortal kombat game's plot!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also an incomplete movie can eventually be good but a bad movie is always bad. Or however Nintendo man said it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the other hand, games also get patches and director's cuts now

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Netflix should push a day-0 patch to extend Rebel Moon by 30 minutes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Kind of surprised they aren’t patching shows or movie. Seems cheaper than making new productions

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lol, there was one breadtuber who was mad about the Snyder Cut on the basis that it set a precedent for studios releasing different versions of films to appeal to different market segments

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm mad at the studio system for not letting these filmmakers make films!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Netflix should push a day-0 patch to extend Rebel Moon by 30 minutes.

Rebel Moon 1.04 patch notes:

-Spider boss now has 15% more HP.
-Plasma sword damage cut 10%. We feel like their damage was out of line with other weapons.
-Fascist aim improved. They were missing too many shots, reducing difficulty more than expected. To assist with this we have also increased the bullet time meter by 20 seconds.
-Reduced efficiency of miracle builds.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s a good patch but fails to address critical grain complaints

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Rebel Moon 1.04 patch notes:

-Reduced efficiency of miracle builds.

A universal constant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

checkplease posted:

That’s a good patch but fails to address critical grain complaints

That'll be addressed in the 2.0 economy revamp

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

- Fixed a bug where missing with the bolt gun would cause restraint chairs to fully disengage.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

- Fixed a bug where missing with the bolt gun would cause restraint chairs to fully disengage.

lmfao

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
- fixed "remove film grain" option not working
- fixed issue where ostensibly broken animals mauled their handlers
- robots should now be more susceptible to commands

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

josh04 posted:

That’s such a cost cutting measure. Engineer who designs hunter scorpion bot says hey we should have separate mechanism for the locks and paralyzing gun. Some exec says they can save 10% on each bot if they combine the two and use the same gun for both locking and spine piercing.

Also funny to imagine how it’s rotate one way to unlock, the other to paralyze.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

checkplease posted:

Kind of surprised they aren’t patching shows or movie. Seems cheaper than making new productions

IIRC Stranger Things changed a line or two of dialog to an older season so it would line up with series continuity, or something like that.

Plus Across the Spider-Verse having multiple versions with small/negligible differences.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
The female protagonist is too OP, she needs to be nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

checkplease posted:

Also funny to imagine how it’s rotate one way to unlock, the other to paralyze.
Motherworld henchman looking at smudged notes on his hand trying to remember which way to rotate the gun.