Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pingui posted:

Sadly the article is more or less a transcript of the video at the link, where those words are also spoken. Admittedly that doesn't mean it isn't AI follies, but imo it is likelier that the issue is that reporters are trained on Omicron-era articles.

dumb reporters, AI, what’s the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Dren posted:

dumb reporters, AI, what’s the difference

Only the former can suffer hubris.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nothing new to the thread, but always good to see more mainstream outlets than *checks notes* Something Awful (??) covering this poo poo:

https://www.salon.com/2023/12/27/brain-damage-caused-by-19-may-not-show-up-on-routine-tests-study-finds/ posted:

Brain damage caused by COVID-19 may not show up on routine tests, study finds
COVID-19 can severely injure the brain, but these changes can go undetected — and last for months

Understandably, COVID-19 is largely thought of as a respiratory illness. Its most notorious symptoms include coughing, congestion and a sore throat, and people can limit its spread by covering their noses and mouths with masks. Yet as many people know from experience, COVID-19 can do a lot more than hurt the lungs and throat. It also wreaks havoc on the heart, the gut and the nervous system.

That's because COVID-19 is primarily a vascular disease, with the SARS-CoV-2 virus targeting the vascular endothelium that transmits fluids between blood and other bodily tissues. This specialization is what helps it spread so easily throughout the body. Consequently, it isn't surprising that COVID-19 also infects our most important organ of all: the brain.
(..)
"It's kind of a silent killer, because you don't see any outward symptoms for many years," Balmaceda said in a press release.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

U-DO Burger posted:

My family is finally negative, we did it. Our household had Covid for 23 days and we still managed to keep me and my oldest daughter from getting sick. :toot:

Took our family almost a month to finally be clear of it too.

Pretty normal poo poo to be sick for a month once or twice a year forever.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

quote:

That's because COVID-19 is primarily a vascular disease

Strep Vote posted:

We started saying that in this thread because there were a number of healthcare professionals insisting a respiratory disease couldn't do the stuff COVID did and that THEREFORE the heart attacks and DVTs and hosed up livers and new-onset diabetes stuff were not caused by the infection. (???) Long story short, people think it's primarily a respiratory disorder because it has "respiratory" in the name. Literally because we called it that and the name stuck. It drives me crazy. This is how social reality overwrites material reality and makes it impossible to talk about anything seriously, it's kind of the same as the aerosol/droplet telephone game where people spend all their time obsessing about the words that are used rather than what's actually happening.

And that's how COVID became "just a cold".

"This virus is causing a lot of cardiovascular problems."

"No it's not, respiratory infections don't do that."

"So it's not primarily respiratory?"

"Of course it is, it's in the name. Therefore,"

:psyduck:

Don't sleep on the glial-neuron fusion, it's irreversible and I don't like "fusogen" in conjunction with the brain. Too close to prions for my comfort.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

There is literally zero data that supports this assertion, yet - for some reason - I've seen it repeated many different places :iiam:

We're really still doing this huh :rubby:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
so, it's been exactly one week since my kids popped positive and exposed me to non-stop COVID, and I've tested every day since and 1) feel just fine and 2) am testing negative. what the gently caress gives? am I a superhuman?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Louisgod posted:

so, it's been exactly one week since my kids popped positive and exposed me to non-stop COVID, and I've tested every day since and 1) feel just fine and 2) am testing negative. what the gently caress gives? am I a superhuman?

Vaxxed?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

oh baby you know it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Louisgod posted:

There's huge variability in how much virus different people shed in different infections and how many antibody titers different people produce against different strains. If you get lucky both ways, you might dodge even if there's no reason you should.

You might also just get sick tomorrow or the day after. Just keep testing everybody until everybody is negative.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Strep Vote posted:

(..)
Don't sleep on the glial-neuron fusion, it's irreversible and I don't like "fusogen" in conjunction with the brain. Too close to prions for my comfort.

No it's doesn't, cardiovascular infections don't do that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Oldest Man posted:

There's huge variability in how much virus different people shed in different infections and how many antibody titers different people produce against different strains. If you get lucky both ways, you might dodge even if there's no reason you should.

You might also just get sick tomorrow or the day after. Just keep testing everybody until everybody is negative.

Yeah I've been testing everybody every day seeing as school starts up again next Tuesday, so have to ensure they're negative before going back, I'm just confused and anxious about why I haven't gotten sick yet considering I've seen so many stories of people popping positive after only one or two days after being exposed at a party or whatever

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Louisgod posted:

Yeah I've been testing everybody every day seeing as school starts up again next Tuesday, so have to ensure they're negative before going back, I'm just confused and anxious about why I haven't gotten sick yet considering I've seen so many stories of people popping positive after only one or two days after being exposed at a party or whatever

I assume you haven't just been rawdogging the air, in which case, you know, :ms:

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pingui posted:

quote:

Yet as many people know from experience, COVID-19

:hmmyes:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Louisgod posted:

It's possible that you did got sick but you forgot all about it. Have you noticed any odd things that you shouldn't be forgetting lately?

I kid, I kid. Count yourself as lucky you manage to get away. Those folks who got got probably didn't took the proper precautions as such cleaning the air or so

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pingui posted:

I assume you haven't just been rawdogging the air, in which case, you know, :ms:

yeah I've had my HEPA filter on high 24/7 and trying to open windows when it's not been super cold outside. still, my youngest has coughed in my face so many times that there's no way I've ingested COVID but maybe I'm a superhuman or something

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

mask :mad:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Toddlers and small children has smaller lungs so they have less viruses to spew out. Make sense.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Also kids can't spread COVID

It is known khaleesi

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Oldest Man posted:

Also kids can't spread COVID

It is known khaleesi

feels good to be back to normal

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

No it's doesn't, cardiovascular infections don't do that.

I deserve that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Strep Vote posted:

"This virus is causing a lot of cardiovascular problems."

"No it's not, respiratory infections don't do that."

"So it's not primarily respiratory?"

"Of course it is, it's in the name. Therefore,"

:psyduck:

Fusogen!!!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rochallor posted:

Three separate people were sick in three different ways at my Christmas dinner. We should nominate a patron saint of air filtration or something.

Christmas dinner update: two of the people who were sick have tested positive for covid (the third one will never test and would never admit catching it anyway). Total infected so far: 6 (and probably 7, see parenthetical) out of 15. Hoping the mask held up.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
man, it sucks confronting this narrative

literally told pax rebound put her in the hospital, not the disease itself and she should have had a 10 day course but the CDC failed you

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

literally told pax rebound put her in the hospital, not the disease itself and she should have had a 10 day course but the CDC failed you

The rebound is the disease coming back after not enough antiviral!!! AAAAAAAA how do people go through life like this.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I got soaked after I closed my umbrella. loving umbrella is good for nothing!!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Zugzwang posted:

Besides, you can't be afraid of rain forever, you have to live your life.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

my whole family who probably gave it to me has been having fun and going out this whole time and says they are fine. though some of them have been repeating stuff and sounding a bit off on the phone sometimes? (might just be me lol.) this also happened with delta (why the gently caress have i had this three times) where my brain got fried, no positive tests, and no one else i had been around said they were sick.

day ~10? lousy sleep lots of waking up. cold and clammy. finally getting some cough and gunk in lungs now? sinuses have been overly dry lately if anything. brain working a bit better was able to have some positive/creative thoughts this morning. cold fingers and dexterity not the best. still making dumb clumsy mistakes, mostly in the evening, almost sliced hand trying to cut celery with wrong side of knife.

right heel started hurting yesterday and today it's pretty bad plantar fasciitis (have experienced in the past but not in a long time) tough to walk on. some vitamin B12 helped it a little bit. i was kneeling for a while yesterday brushing the cat so that might have strained my feet. annoying having to be so careful w my body feel like im made out of tissue paper right now.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

By the way, the journalist class that’s telling everyone to get back to normal already and quit being scared? They’re still working from home

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Zugzwang posted:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fosborb posted:

Probably the best argument for calling it covid rebound instead of pax rebound. The latter tends to indicate pax is the problem and it's not.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Louisgod posted:

friendship ended with beets now fatty jerky is my best friend

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/debbie_winslow_/status/1740008815788175827?s=46

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

rockear posted:

friendship ended with beets now fatty jerky is my best friend

the salty lipids have combined forces with sticky vape resin and formed an immutable barrier in my body

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/meetjess/status/1740082999058690141?s=46

glad I got my XBB1.5 booster in time for spring 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Louisgod posted:

have you been quarantining from them using thread advice about air flow

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/meetjess/status/1740082999058690141?s=46

drat it kind of looks like this might just be getting started

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Strep Vote posted:

The rebound is the disease coming back after not enough antiviral!!! AAAAAAAA how do people go through life like this.

Having a doctor imply I was making poo poo up in my early 20’s was an eye opener. Beforehand, I just had implicit trust in the medical establishment. I wonder if these kind of people never had that experience.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Steve Yun posted:

I can't wait to get my EG.5 vaccine in 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Having a doctor try to give me a high dose of naproxen after i directly told him i had a history of ulcers was what made me fully grasp "lol there had to be a doctor at the bottom of the class"