Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I get the weirdest feeling when training licheds puzzles that I am learning machine thinking instead of tactics at times. Then when I do puzzles on other platforms the knowledge doesn't transfer easily. Maybe I'm overthinking it and they just have different themes on the same ratings range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I just had what felt like on of my best games ever. It wasn't long but it was a bit of a counterplay battle with what felt like aggressive tactics, and when I look at the analysis it was basically even the whole way through. So it wasn't reckless.

Then I ended it by somehow missing that a bishop could take a pawn backwards to clear out an attack for the queen. I thought I had one more tempo than I did. 🤦‍♂️ Like, I stared at the area and ran the options and thought 'This situation is terrifying but yep I'm safe! No problems here!'

T.C. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 23, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Meadowhill posted:

I get the weirdest feeling when training licheds puzzles that I am learning machine thinking instead of tactics at times. Then when I do puzzles on other platforms the knowledge doesn't transfer easily. Maybe I'm overthinking it and they just have different themes on the same ratings range.

try the tactics on chesstempo, I find them very true to games

Also chessable now will pull tactics from your chess.com games for you to practice, which I am finding quite illuminating so far

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Another cool puzzle.

https://lichess.org/training/V8BHh

Black, who is in check, to move.

Kf4 to preserve the pin and force a queen trade, after which your king is in position to protect the passed pawn and also no longer blocking it?

Oh, that's not it. Ohh I see. You just trade queens immediately, and although you both promote, black forces white into a skewer.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 26, 2023

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

fisting by many posted:

Kf4 to preserve the pin and force a queen trade, after which your king is in position to protect the passed pawn and also no longer blocking it?

Oh, that's not it. Ohh I see. You just trade queens immediately, and although you both promote, black forces white into a skewer.

Yeah, the critical move is the placement of Black’s King after the exchange of queens. The correct placement maintains the opposition between the kings so that a check from the first rank will force White’s king onto the same file as his newly promoted queen which can be won by skewer.

The reason I struggled with this puzzle initially because I failed to see that first check from Black’s queen from the back rank also denies White’s king from approaching the first rank, so Black’s queen is safe from capture as it performs the skewer attack.

If White moves his king instead of advancing his pawn, White will never promote the pawn because White will promote a full move ahead and will prevent White from promotion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think this is the stupidest and also most fun game I've played in a long time.
Content warning: terrible chess
https://lichess.org/SMzlUsJd/black#1

Spoilers:
White blunders their queen

And then so do I

White blunders a dominant endgame position

I screw up and wind up with my lone king against black's king and queen

and draw anyway! ahahah

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Leperflesh posted:

I think this is the stupidest and also most fun game I've played in a long time.

Spoilers:

And then so do I

and draw anyway! ahahah

I don't think I've ever screamed NO!! at my phone as much as I did while going through that game.

Granted I'm drunk right now but still.

Good times!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Leperflesh posted:

Spoilers:

And then so do I

and draw anyway! ahahah

I had a permanent :mad: on my face the entire goddamn game

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Leperflesh posted:

Next time someone starts the Scholars mate line on you, try NC6 instead of NF6. If they continue the line G6 to chase away the Queen and then continue normal chess.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Next time someone starts the Scholars mate line on you, try NC6 instead of NF6. If they continue the line G6 to chase away the Queen and then continue normal chess.

after 2. Bb5 it's preferable to attack the queen with Nf6 (but obviously not if they actually played for a scholar's mate with 2. Bc4)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
You're right. I was thinking of this line

edit -0.3

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The other thing to look for in scholar's mate is that the c2 pawn is vulnerable without the queen defending it; after chasing the queen away, you can jump your knight to d4 or b4 and probably win a pawn and a rook for a knight. At the very least this usually forces white to pull their queen back to defend it, wasting all the time they spent moving her around in the first place.

*edit* they can also defend by putting their knight on a3 but usually the response here is to just take the knight with your bishop and force them to have doubled pawns on the edge of the board.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 27, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am very very bad at openings: as in, I have not studied them. I have tried to learn even one opening but my memorization skills have gone to absolute poo poo with my age as I hurtle into my very late 40s. I can remember "good principles of chess" - I don't always manage to apply them, but I can at least understand and remember things like control the center, look for checks, attacks, overburdened defenders, favorable exchanges; develop the minor pieces before the queen, and so forth.

But learning the london or the queens gambit or all that poo poo just seems to be a big block. So "oh they're trying the scholors what do I do" I actually spend time thinking it through rather than reacting with a memorized line. This is one of the reason I only play 10+ minute games. I just can't handle blitz.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

G6 seems like it hands the C1/H3 dark squares to the opponent's dark square bishop, it's hard for me to move my bishop to H3 to generate an attack and advancing the H2 pawn to H3 later will make it hard to defend that pawn. I also don't like messing up my kingside pawns if I am still considering a kingside castle. So, I tend to avoid the G6 move when the opponent's dark bishop is still at home, and if I've gone G6 it's to fianchetto the bishop and then I don't move the H pawn. Is that foolish logic?

e. this is aside from defending the scholar's, mind you, which I feel like I can at least stymie if not harshly punish.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Here's a good chess principle: if your oppenent is trying to scholars mate you, see if you can develop a minor piece in a way that threatens the queen. Huge positional advantage in the opening for no work

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I am very very bad at openings: as in, I have not studied them.

If you are interested in studying them (or just in general to the room), I've been poking around at https://chessbook.com/ for the past couple of weeks and it's absolutely cool as heck, and gives plenty of access for free.

What it does is, you put in your Elo and then it helps you to build your own Chessable-style course from the likely responses in your Elo band. So I tell it I'm Lichess 1300-1500, it says, "opponent plays 1. e4, what move do you want to play?" then shows you all the popular moves with their names. So you go through the responses you are likely to see at your level, and it goes deeper into lines based on how likely they are to come up. So, for instance playing the French at my level you get the Advance around 45%, the Exchange around 45%, and other moves only around 10%. So it builds me an French repertoire heavy on those, and only 1-2 lines each against Nd2 and Nc3.

But it doesn't force you into certain lines, so if in the Exchange I want to castle long as often as possible, I can build my repertoire to do it. Or if I want to play the Triangle against the Queen's Gambit but the Stonewall against the London, I can make an entire 1. d4 e6 repertoire to do it.

My white repertoire is heavy on "weird 3rd moves against the Scotch" (which is what I am most likely to get) and only a half dozen lines in the Alapin and 2-3 against the Caro. It reflects the games I actually get, not what someone is guessing I should get. Another really cool feature is it will notify you when a candidate move transposes, which is so helpful for remembering positions. If Nc6 is the top computer move but the Bd7 transposes into a line you already have (which probably plays Nc6 next anyway), you can choose the transposition and it just ends the line. You don't end up with a lot of, "uh I know I'm supposed to play these two moves next, but I can't remember which one the computer thought was slightly better here." You just come to the position, and unless one or the other is an inaccuracy, you do the same one first. Then that's all you need to remember.

So if you're in the Elo band where you're getting a lot of Scholar's mate, it's going to build you a course more focused on stuff like that than 12 different move options against the Ruy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Here's a good chess principle: if your oppenent is trying to scholars mate you, see if you can develop a minor piece in a way that threatens the queen. Huge positional advantage in the opening for no work

This also applies to other openings (e.g. the Scandinavian).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

If you are interested in studying them (or just in general to the room), I've been poking around at https://chessbook.com/ for the past couple of weeks and it's absolutely cool as heck, and gives plenty of access for free.

This is really cool. I don't know whether it's the best use of my time at my level (vs puzzles or something) but it's neat.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

If you’re going to learn anything about openings, learn to counter the Scholar’s Mate. It’s satisfying as hell to see some idiot go for it, and then effortlessly deal with it.

Made even better by the fact that most people who play the Scholar’s Mate collapse immediately when it doesn’t work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I mean, I did harass the queen on turn two, and three times by turn 12, but that maybe wasn't aggressive enough.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AnoHito posted:

If you’re going to learn anything about openings, learn to counter the Scholar’s Mate. It’s satisfying as hell to see some idiot go for it, and then effortlessly deal with it.

Made even better by the fact that most people who play the Scholar’s Mate collapse immediately when it doesn’t work.

I don't know if you really need to learn to refute the Scholars Mate so much as just learn that you should recognize checkmate threats and consider what your opponent can do on their next turn. If you're memorizing that you need to respond to Qh5 with g6 and then Nf6, I feel like you're learning the wrong lesson.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, I did harass the queen on turn two, and three times by turn 12, but that maybe wasn't aggressive enough.

4. ... Nc6 was the big missed move that stood out to me in this vein.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

4. ... Nc6 was the big missed move that stood out to me in this vein.

That makes sense. I think I castled to unpin my e7 bishop but harassing the queen away would accomplish the same thing and also develop a piece.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Fyi, chess.com is holding a big daily tournament that seems fun. Time control is one move a day, no vacations, 12 player sections with 22 simultaneous games, 1 game with each color per opponent. Prizes are for best video analyses, best blog analyses, best game l, and best move

I've never played daily but it seems like a fun low stakes commitment for my chess in 2024

https://www.chess.com/tournament/2024-chess-com-daily-chess-championship

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah! I joined that! If you join, don't forget that you are allowed to use opening books and materials, so long as you aren't putting your position into a computer for evaluation/help.

It will be interesting to see how many of my 22 first-round matches immediately time out.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I play daily with friends, but honestly 24 hours for a move with no vacations is actually hard for me. Daily games tend to run a lot of moves because you're hopefully thinking enough to not fall for dumb stuff. It's really easy to have a weird day in there somewhere where poo poo is going on.

Edit: and yeah you're going to get a bunch of games where you play for two weeks and the person loving disappears

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh cool imma join that, I've busted out of most of my other daily tournaments now.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's funny because games where you make a move and your opponent just times out, you don't get Elo but you do get a win for your record, so despite playing maybe 20-25 complete daily games this year, my Daily chess record is like, 145-8.

ALSO when the tourney kicks off, notice you have access to an Analysis board during the game that you don't have during a timed game. It'll take you to the analysis board and let you try out moves and draw your arrows. It'll even verify mates for you.

ALSO, ALSO I believe since I was playing a lot of Daily they put in a programmable if/then macro system (at least there was one for a daily I played with a friend). So if you have a forced M3 you can premove it, but if you just took a piece and want like, "if they retake with the pawn do this but if they retake with the Bishop do this" you can make both true. You can actually branch pretty deep into it, and I imagine if both players were using it, you could finish up a game fairly quickly.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
That's neat info, thanks. I remember play a game of battletech in a goon narrative campaign using some homebrew system where every player controlled a single mech and acted simultaneously instead of in turn. Each round you sent the game master a list of orders with a ton of nested if/then statements. Tons of work for the goon running it, but a fun exercise

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Oddly all I play is daily because I just don't have the time needed for shorter games, and almost all of mine go to completion. I've had maybe 2-3 timeouts? One was definitely a rage-quit because the guy made moves in like 4 other games repeatedly while he just let our game time out but whatever, still counts. There are absolutely conditional moves, you can add up to 10 lines with 10 moves each if you want.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That's neat info, thanks. I remember play a game of battletech in a goon narrative campaign using some homebrew system where every player controlled a single mech and acted simultaneously instead of in turn. Each round you sent the game master a list of orders with a ton of nested if/then statements. Tons of work for the goon running it, but a fun exercise

That is still on-going, it's run by PopTartsNinja. It's in the third(?) iteration of the thread at this point.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Olothreutes posted:

That is still on-going, it's run by PopTartsNinja. It's in the third(?) iteration of the thread at this point.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Solaris match in the first thread specifically

Great thread, but I dropped off at the end of the first thread. I don't know where ptn finds the time

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
excited to finally post one of my own "i found a cool move" positions. not *that* cool but nice to see a pattern in a game that i've done in a puzzle dozens of times

here's the full game. don't play bullet it rots your brain
https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/97554624943?tab=analysis

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Awesome puzzle I saw on reddit today. White to move, mate in 2.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
looking at the pawns my initial thought was gotta be a zugzwang and figured it out pretty quick after that but what a cool puzzle!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
took me a while, but i got there -- thanks for sharing

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Ooooh that is pretty

Tip: How can you make a path for the rook? You need to clear both the f and g files in one move...

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Huxley posted:

That’s a kickin’ rad link and I’m going to try it out when I get some of that sweet, sweet alone time this weekend.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

that’s a beauty

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Rf4 obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Rf4 obviously

I assume you're joking but that's one of the stalemates I would definitely walk into if I had this position IRL