Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know it's old hat, but I still can't get over how society and the media just ignore that he writes like an insane chain mail writer.
Like if you posted like him with that kind of random capitalization on a lot of websites, you'd get laughed at for being 12 or - more shamefully for him - ESL.

That post is warm and friendly compared with his other Christmas post.

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1739658612169900297/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BiggerBoat posted:

Is the smug, punchable, douche bag face a cause or an effect? A symptom or a byproduct? A feature or a bug?

I wrote a post about Matt Gaetz's appearance once upon a time:

Kith posted:

It's because of how he presents himself. He constantly does the Slimy Politician Smile that's all teeth and no warmth, he deliberately wears a "Power Hairstyle" straight off of the Sleazy Businessman character from Futurama, and he frequently tries to dress in "Power Blue" suits that are associated with "trying to look professional" - usually for a misleading reason, aka Used Car Salesman. If you take those away from him, he looks like a relatively normal person:

But the instant you add them back in, he transforms into a sleazebag who'd sell you out in a heartbeat:

Amusingly, it was even in response to you asking effectively the same question!

But it's almost certainly an effect, because it's all about attitude, mindset, and personal presentation. These people deliberately cultivate this kind of aesthetic because they're so utterly terrified of being "the lesser" that they adapt the mannerisms and dress of their "betters" so nobody would ever dare to assume that they could be picked on because they're too busy representing success and power with their very appearance.

Unfortunately for them, it's often quite easy to tell if someone is faking that kind of thing, so in the end they just look like dork-rear end losers that are trying too hard.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Kith posted:

I wrote a post about Matt Gaetz's appearance once upon a time:

Amusingly, it was even in response to you asking effectively the same question!

But it's almost certainly an effect, because it's all about attitude, mindset, and personal presentation. These people deliberately cultivate this kind of aesthetic because they're so utterly terrified of being "the lesser" that they adapt the mannerisms and dress of their "betters" so nobody would ever dare to assume that they could be picked on because they're too busy representing success and power with their very appearance.

Unfortunately for them, it's often quite easy to tell if someone is faking that kind of thing, so in the end they just look like dork-rear end losers that are trying too hard.
For people like Gaetz their entire existence is defined by being disingenuous all the loving time so it makes sense they're oblivious to how they look to outsiders

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Islamic Shock posted:

For people like Gaetz their entire existence is defined by being disingenuous all the loving time so it makes sense they're oblivious to how they look to outsiders

Also they think everyone is fundamentally like them, so of course everyone else is also playing an angle.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Caught some talk radio yesterday.

Dude was extolling the virtues of capitalism in regards to Ukraine asking the U.S. for more aid and said that they shouldn't constantly be asking for money since the free market says "you ask me for money then you provide a service". So...if your neighbor's house down the street catches on fire, you should run over and only offer to put it out if they link their PayPal account? If your friend is getting mugged by the local street gang, ignore his cries for help unless he agrees to hand over some gold bars? If your coworker's car has engine trouble, don't give him a ride unless he pays you for gas? Is this how being an ally works? Did we make sure the Kurds hooked us up with discounted oil in 1990. Maybe we did. Wonder how he feels about aid to Israel?

It gets better.

Conservabot Dude #2 was bitching about his recent experience at a Walgreens. Turns out, the pharmacy is closed from 1pm - 2pm for lunch and he went there trying to get some kind of allergy medicine (I forget what it was. Allegra maybe). It's kept behind the counter whatever it was "for some reason" (I assume because meth production) and he was mad that no one would help him and that the employees had the temerity and balls on them to actually eat their loving lunch during their mandated break. So they were EATING instead of waiting on him. He bitched about how they could SEE HIM but kept eating anyway and, when he asked when they could help him, they said "2 o'clock".

Just railing about the GALL of these people feeding themselves and not staggering their lunch breaks. Poor guy.

Now...every single thing he bitched about here, I can promise you, is 100% the direct result of corporate mandates and policy. The guy no doubt WORSHIPS corporations and believes they should be able to do whatever they want. But he made it out like these overpaid workers were purposely ignoring and taunting him by feeding themselves. I actually agree with him about alternating the lunch breaks and probably the employees do as well but they don't make the rules but [b]this guy's bitching about people eating during the hour they're told to eat by wealthy CEO's and such/b].

He's also complaining about his medicine being held behind the counter, which I can also 100% promise you is related to the War on Drugs that he no doubt supports. He REALLY expected some poor schlep working behind the pharmacy counter to put down their sandwich, apologize and immediately serve him but, apparently, these employees had some sort of uppity attitude what with being hungry and following Walgreens' rules and poo poo.

loving rear end in a top hat. I hope they slow rolled him through that line when they opened back up and waited on every other customer in the place before him. I got mad listening to it, but not the reasons he was going for.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 27, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Can't alternate lunches at a pharmacy because the techs can't work if the pharmacist isn't "on duty." You either overlap pharmacist shifts or close the pharmacy down. This is a big part of the push to respect pharmacists as employees. They were being forced to work during their unpaid break consistently and constantly.

He could've just bought regular Allegra OTC, but he probably likes that stimulant feeling he gets from pseudoephedrine. All these right wing goobers went from opiates to stimulants. My pet theory is that stimulant abuse has a lot to do with the deteriorating sanity of the right wing.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Dude was extolling the virtues of capitalism in regards to Ukraine asking the U.S. for more aid and said that they shouldn't constantly be asking for money since the free market says "you ask me for money then you provide a service".
They are providing a service, they're serving as a bulwark against and depleting the resources of the military of our most hostile and imperialistic geopolitical rival. The US wouldn't be sending them money and weapons if it wasn't getting something out of it.

Also, as Biden (somewhat distastefully) pointed out in one of his addresses demanding aid for Ukraine and Israel (:puke:), this stuff is actually really good for the US economy, because we're not actually sending them much money or building many weapons directly for them, it's just old inventory getting shipped out, to be replaced by new contracts with the defense industry, which will help keep the labor market strong.

It's both gross and instructive to think about how somebody else's war helps the US economy, and it puts some perverse incentives in play for our leadership. It's not really something I want to celebrate, but it is a good counterargument to a lot of the arguments being made against Ukraine aid.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 27, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ummel posted:

Can't alternate lunches at a pharmacy because the techs can't work if the pharmacist isn't "on duty." You either overlap pharmacist shifts or close the pharmacy down. This is a big part of the push to respect pharmacists as employees. They were being forced to work during their unpaid break consistently and constantly.

He could've just bought regular Allegra OTC, but he probably likes that stimulant feeling he gets from pseudoephedrine. All these right wing goobers went from opiates to stimulants. My pet theory is that stimulant abuse has a lot to do with the deteriorating sanity of the right wing.

In the interests of being scrupulously fair when calling an rear end in a top hat an rear end in a top hat, the OTC replacement for pseudoephedrine (which isn't prescription but is behind the counter due to stupid and ineffective War on Drugs bullshit) is phenylephrine and it is completely ineffective. It is pretty drat annoying to have to go through a bunch of stupid rigamarole to get a fast-acting decongestant that actually works. On days when the pollen count is high I'll take a 24-hour something like Claritin but if it's really hitting me badly then Sudafed - the real stuff - is the only thing that takes effect quickly to relieve the worst days.

So I sympathize with his annoyance, but yeah going on a rant about "rude and lazy workers" is either stupid or deliberately shifting blame or both.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Misunderstood posted:

It's both gross and instructive to think about how somebody else's war helps the US economy

Oh it's even better than that! The US became the richest country in the world post-WW2 essentially thanks to looting the Japanese and German economies. The former went on for decades because of the hideously manipulated exchange rate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weatherman posted:

Oh it's even better than that! The US became the richest country in the world post-WW2 essentially thanks to looting the Japanese and German economies. The former went on for decades because of the hideously manipulated exchange rate.

The US already had more than double the GDP of #2 USSR in 1938

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Most pharmacies only have a single licensed pharmacist on staff. Federal law says the licensed pharmacist must be on duty for the pharmacy to dispense any controlled items. Thus, lunch will be when the pharmacist is having lunch. Its not just corporate policy, it's the law.

Problem being, it's very difficult to attract people to take a 4 year pharmacy degree. Most people going the stem route would rather go for the biochem pathway into labs and hopefully eventually a PhD. Most people getting into medical want to do premed then medica doctors, or nursing. Its a 4 year degree and year long apprenticeship for a lovely retail job in a profession everyone knows is dying.

Spamming pharmacies to every street corner far out striped the number of pharmacists that could be trained and licensed by existing infrastructure and student supply to maintain even full day staffing. Its one of the reasons those stoped cold.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In the interests of being scrupulously fair when calling an rear end in a top hat an rear end in a top hat, the OTC replacement for pseudoephedrine (which isn't prescription but is behind the counter due to stupid and ineffective War on Drugs bullshit) is phenylephrine and it is completely ineffective. It is pretty drat annoying to have to go through a bunch of stupid rigamarole to get a fast-acting decongestant that actually works. On days when the pollen count is high I'll take a 24-hour something like Claritin but if it's really hitting me badly then Sudafed - the real stuff - is the only thing that takes effect quickly to relieve the worst days.

So I sympathize with his annoyance, but yeah going on a rant about "rude and lazy workers" is either stupid or deliberately shifting blame or both.

Right, I wasn't talking about phenylephrine, but Allegra-D (fexofenadine/pseudoephedrine, behind the counter, not prescription) and Allegra (fexofenadine, OTC).

Phenylephrine oral is trash and deserves all the scorn it's getting. Nasal spray is good. IV is good for blood pressure lol.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think he was going for the "nobody wants to work anymore" angle in some weird, roundabout way but what he was experiencing was 100% the "everyone must take their lunch from 1 to 2" thing that most companies enforce. Place I worked for a good 15 years actually gave us flexibility not only for lunch times but when we came in and left and it was great. We're grown adults here and, quite often, given the stuff I was working on, it made little sense to clock out for lunch in the middle of a huge production run when I'm just 15 minutes away from finishing it. Or also to start a new run, bang on it for 15 minutes, then shut down and go eat.

Same with breaks. I'm not gonna pull off a job just to go have a smoke when I'm packaging up the order and printing shipping labels - 20 minutes away from closing the order. It's loving stupid.

Sometimes, it made sense for me to come in 1 or 2 hours early and get a hot project going. My bosses were cool with that. We weren't in grade school listening for the bell but just about every place I've worked since then has treated its workers as if we were. They actually DID put loving bells in to let us know it's recess. And in those places, a lot of times what happens is that when I come back I forget where the gently caress I was even at and it takes me more time to get recentered again.

ummel posted:

Really? So if there's something behind the counter I need or my bottle of pills ready in the little basket then the pharmacist has to be on the clock? Weird. I guess I agree with the 5pm talk radio host then cause that's loving stupid. If there's an issue, then OK wait til 2pm or whatever but if it's just ringing up some stuff then what do you need that person for?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BiggerBoat posted:

Really? So if there's something behind the counter I need or my bottle of pills ready in the little basket then the pharmacist has to be on the clock? Weird. I guess I agree with the 5pm talk radio host then cause that's loving stupid. If there's an issue, then OK wait til 2pm or whatever but if it's just ringing up some stuff then what do you need that person for?

I don't work in a pharmacy but I'd bet it's a lot easier to tell folks that the pharmacy has a lunch break than to explain to pissy customers precisely which prescriptions do or don't count as "controlled" and why they can get this but will have to come back later for that every five minutes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't work in a pharmacy but I'd bet it's a lot easier to tell folks that the pharmacy has a lunch break than to explain to pissy customers precisely which prescriptions do or don't count as "controlled" and why they can get this but will have to come back later for that every five minutes.

Well, not for whoever this loving entitled radio show guy was who thinks that people eating lunch are apparently somehow mocking him and being lazy or some such poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 27, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

Is this sarcasm or something? The US came out of WWII as the world's largest economy partly because of starting the war that way and partly because of being the only large country that didn't come out of the war with a bombed out industrial base and half a generation's young men dead in the fighting. Which is also part of why the US was able to do more rebuilding than looting like the Soviets, leading to the wealth disparities you can see in the formerly divided parts of Germany today.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"This is about saving America"
https://twitter.com/CynicalPublius/status/1740102340906992036?t=net1YdGS7WQCa_sxXMR1pg&s=19

quote:

Let me tell you something. If it was 2008 and Republicans were committing fascist lawfare on Barack Obama the way Democrats are committing it right now on Trump, I would be 100% in support of Obama and would vote for him.

I say this realizing that Obama is a neo-Marxist, America-hating cutout whose every policy I disagree with.

Yet, if lawfare had removed him from the ballot or imprisoned him, our country would have been lost, forever. Thus, I would have been morally obligated to vote for him.

This is not about Trump. It's about saving America.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Problem being, it's very difficult to attract people to take a 4 year pharmacy degree. Most people going the stem route would rather go for the biochem pathway into labs and hopefully eventually a PhD. Most people getting into medical want to do premed then medica doctors, or nursing. Its a 4 year degree and year long apprenticeship for a lovely retail job in a profession everyone knows is dying.

There's also biomedical engineering, which sets you up to do engineering work for healthcare corporations. There's a premed path for that as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I thought it was about that when Obama ran twice. And Bill Clinton and John Kerry and Joe Biden and Hillary CLinton and...

*fart*

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

Is this sarcasm or something? The US came out of WWII as the world's largest economy partly because of starting the war that way and partly because of being the only large country that didn't come out of the war with a bombed out industrial base and half a generation's young men dead in the fighting. Which is also part of why the US was able to do more rebuilding than looting like the Soviets, leading to the wealth disparities you can see in the formerly divided parts of Germany today.

ssh ssh. don't break the communard's brain. it wasn't 'looting' it was 'redistributing the wealth from rich Ukranian farmers to ..'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

BiggerBoat posted:

Dude was extolling the virtues of capitalism in regards to Ukraine asking the U.S. for more aid and said that they shouldn't constantly be asking for money since the free market says "you ask me for money then you provide a service". So...if your neighbor's house down the street catches on fire, you should run over and only offer to put it out if they link their PayPal account? If your friend is getting mugged by the local street gang, ignore his cries for help unless he agrees to hand over some gold bars? If your coworker's car has engine trouble, don't give him a ride unless he pays you for gas? Is this how being an ally works? Did we make sure the Kurds hooked us up with discounted oil in 1990. Maybe we did. Wonder how he feels about aid to Israel?

For many conservatives, literally every human interaction should be a transaction. You see a lot of this with bitcoiners. If someone needs your help, your immediate response should be "what do I get out of this?"

The idea of helping someone without expecting some kind of reward/compensation is completely foreign to them and get extremely baffled when anyone does so.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

...! posted:

For many conservatives, literally every human interaction should be a transaction. You see a lot of this with bitcoiners. If someone needs your help, your immediate response should be "what do I get out of this?"

The idea of helping someone without expecting some kind of reward/compensation is completely foreign to them and get extremely baffled when anyone does so.

And they will hate you and laugh at you for having human relationships or caring about other people. And feel threatened.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Gee I can't help but notice you guys absolutely loving never go into the details of why he's not guilty of the specific crimes he's been charged with

(unless you directly stand to make money off of doing so of course and even that's rare)

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought it was about that when Obama ran twice. And Bill Clinton and John Kerry and Joe Biden and Hillary CLinton and...

*fart*
I've seen Klepper point out the pretty obvious gotcha of "if Trump won twice like you completely believe he did then legally he can't win a third time right" a few times and they never have anything for that

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 28, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

...! posted:

Because they think helping people encourages them to be lazy. A major criticism they have towards children are parents that do everything for their kids and raise helpless adults that lack motivation or initiative. They very much believe in the "crucible effect", that adversity and struggle makes people more mature, hardworking, humble, and ambitious.

To them what progressives are doing is purely performative at best or actively making the problem worse at worst. They'll also love to trot out statistics that show that conservatives donate more money and time to charity, though I think a lot of this boils down to what each side considers "charity".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Because they think helping people encourages them to be lazy. A major criticism they have towards children are parents that do everything for their kids and raise helpless adults that lack motivation or initiative. They very much believe in the "crucible effect", that adversity and struggle makes people more mature, hardworking, humble, and ambitious.

To them what progressives are doing is purely performative at best or actively making the problem worse at worst. They'll also love to trot out statistics that show that conservatives donate more money and time to charity, though I think a lot of this boils down to what each side considers "charity".

This along with the fundamental idea that kindness = weakness. Real american tough guys walk around and take no poo poo, tell it like it is and don't care about your fuckin feelings. Like Trump! And Rush Limbaugh!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

huh I wonder why so many of them have failed marriages

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xand_Man posted:

FEMINISM!!! :argh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Xand_Man posted:

No Fault Divorce

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

They'll also love to trot out statistics that show that conservatives donate more money and time to charity, though I think a lot of this boils down to what each side considers "charity".

It was either Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan during their president bid said something like 'I donate as much as I can to charity. To get as much tax deduction relief as possible. Not a penny more.' or some poo poo.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

happyhippy posted:

It was either Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan during their president bid said something like 'I donate as much as I can to charity. To get as much tax deduction relief as possible. Not a penny more.' or some poo poo.
If they were actually dodging a 35% tax liability by giving to real charities and not shell companies I'd be pretty okay with that

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

I bet some people doubt this guy's sincerity because they remember that Trump and other Republicans argued Obama was not a US citizen and therefore could not be President. But clearly, this guy is saying that successful challenges are illegitimate, while specious claims are fair.
Imagine the sense of relief this guy felt when courts tossed out the challenge's to Obama's citizenship, on that day he knew he would not be morally obligated to vote Obama, and could vote for whatever man or woman he wanted to.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
don wildmon, founder of afa (american family association) is dead according to their radio station though i can't find any articles confirming

rest in piss, you old ghoul

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 29, 2023

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Aww man, now who's gonna regale me with folksy, charming morality tales set in a hazy portrait of 1950's Americana in the breaks between shows about how liberals are forcibly snipping off children's genitals at school and how the Muslims are definitely going to murder us all? It's gonna throw off the whole vibe of the network.

(rest in loving piss)

edit: lmao in his touching tribute show they try to lionize his deeds and they spend like 15 minutes taking credit for pornos not being in 7-11's anymore and play clips of him railing against romance novels as degrading the country's moral standing, before spending the rest of the program bitching about how people aren't as homophobic nowadays

Crunch Buttsteak fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 28, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Who are you referring to?^^^

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Pornos used to be sold at 7-11s?!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^Who are you referring to?^^^

Don Wildmon, the founder of AFA mentioned above. Just another loudmouth conservative crank; nice to know half of his tribute is lamenting that he was barely a doorstop in the scheme of things. Lewy body dementia is a lovely way to go, but people like him spread pain and misery onto minorities, so :shrug:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Back in the Reagan days, when the Moral Majority openly had the ear of the President, there was a big push by certain parts of the Religious Right to ban pornography in America outright. That's what the Meese Report was all about. It ultimately didn't really go anywhere, but it did convince several convenience store chains to no longer stock Playboys after Don Wildmon sent them letters saying "Hey, you're going to be listed as smut peddlers in an official report, but there's an easy way to avoid this, yeah?"

Like they absolutely did not get what they wanted out of the whole situation, so it's just funny to see them spiking the football about making getting your hands on pictures of airbrushed titties slightly less convenient in the late 80's, early 90's. An absolute HERO, Don was!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hasturtium posted:

Don Wildmon, the founder of AFA mentioned above. Just another loudmouth conservative crank; nice to know half of his tribute is lamenting that he was barely a doorstop in the scheme of things
a lot of the real harm he did was in founding afa and afr

he may not have voiced to often some of the more loud and extreme poo poo we're used to here, but he did a drat good job of platforming them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Magazines. Pre internet mastubatory material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

World Famous W posted:

a lot of the real harm he did was in founding afa and afr

he may not have voiced to often some of the more loud and extreme poo poo we're used to here, but he did a drat good job of platforming them

Yeah, Don was usually a behind-the-scenes guy at least since I've been paying attention to AFR (around 2010, Jesus), but the fact that he gave Bryan Fischer the top show on the network kinda tells you everything you need to know about what messages he was trying to get across.

And now he's dead and I'm not sad!

BiggerBoat posted:

Magazines. Pre internet mastubatory material

ugh whatever grandpa it's all about discord kittens pulled through f-list now, get with the times