Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I got around to watching it a few days too late perhaps, but I enjoyed this quick look at some weird British Christmas games from a small channel called Ethereal Worlds - definitely check out her previous video on the PS1 Magazine in 2004 if you enjoyed this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJRHFpPCN7E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Speaking of good creators that need to drop the skits Coffeezilla's got a new one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD-McWZz_pk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

its only bc i wasnt here. hes a loving moron as well. emotional depth of a puddle and the on-screen charisma of a dead rat
id just like to second the notion that quinton is dumb and has a big butt and his butt smells and he likes to smell his own butt

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Bliss Foster's great. More people should watch his channel and give him eyeballs and maybe even support, so he and his wife can finally move out of his parents' house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zFdutZbkNA
this isn't remotely his best video but it's the one he posted today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9RZoxj5HNA
I like this one from earlier in the month on CDG

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Groovelord Neato posted:

Speaking of good creators that need to drop the skits Coffeezilla's got a new one out:

Christ that got real bleak

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Man I'm really conflicted about Coffeezilla. I think he does good work as an investigator, but the skits and the aesthetic are so fully lodged up his own rear end that it makes his stuff hard to watch, even if he's doing something important. *especially* when he's doing something important.

You don't need a goofy robot bartender to frame the news he's covering.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Felt like a completely random thing to bring up.

It was. I wanted to shift the convo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

its only bc i wasnt here. hes a loving moron as well. emotional depth of a puddle and the on-screen charisma of a dead rat

☝️☝️☝️

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rockit posted:

Didn't Maggie put up a "I'm not actually accusing Snyder of being a bigot nor i am saying any fans of his work necessarily is" disclaimer?

I feel like that should either set things as proof of either her disingenuous or her critics transferring what other Snyder criticism did onto her unfounded.

Given the complaint is "How dare she assume fake news coverage in my 2000's zombie film can inadvertently carry the bigoted assumptions of real 2000's news" I assume it's the latter even it's valid to still roll eyes at her tone.

Let me be explicit. My complaint is that she misrepresents the film and then uses that misrepresentation to promote a motivated reading.

She does not state that "fake news coverage in my 2000's zombie film can inadvertently carry the bigoted assumptions of real 2000's news." She states that the fake television in Dawn purposefully and deliberately promotes Snyder's bigotries.

Since RareAcumen helpfully linked the video, let me quote it directly:

about 2:30 into the video posted:

First, we’re watching TV with CJ while he gets frustrated with the talking heads for not having any new answers. “Keep saying the same b*llsh*t. Tell me something I don’t already know as**ole!” The lack of meaningful information is emphasized by shots like this--where CJ is surrounded by television screens, as if he’s overwhelmed by meaningless noise. The news anchor signs off and switches over to the Emergency Broadcasting System. But instead of a helpful emergency broadcast, we see this Christian Fundamentalist pastor.

Apparently Zack Snyder thinks that during an emergency, the most important person we can listen to is a televangelist. And the pastor gives us the explanation we’ve been waiting for since the beginning of the movie. “Hell is overflowing, and Satan is sending his dead to us. Why? Because you have sex out of wedlock, you kill unborn children, men on men relations, same-sex marriage. How do you think God will judge you?”

And there we have it. This edgy cool action packed zombie thriller is actually about the christian bible. Yay. So Snyder sets up this mysterious air around the question why this is happening? A question that was clouded overcrowded with useless information. And by the time the scene ends, we have our simple, easily digestible rationale. In the words of the pastor: “Now we know”. Now we know that we are being punished for our gay!"

What's missing from this is that CJ is a mall cop who pulled a gun on and assaulted the other characters, and who then spends most of the film locked in an office. He's not a protagonist, an "anti-hero," or a hard man making hard decisions. He's an rear end in a top hat and a bigot, and the scene of him watching the pastor is characterization of such.

The take that the audience is meant to take the pastor's words as gospel (lol) is absolutely bizarre and, to be absolutely clear here, does directly accuse Snyder of being a bigot.

Now Zack Snyder is a big boy and he doesn't need my scrawny white rear end to nobly defend him online, but there is no "train of logic" that leads to MMF's reading. And if she was willing to jump through hoops to misrepresent his work because (presumably) he was an acceptable tumblr bad guy for a hot minute, then why would I trust her to be sincere about anything else?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 27, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt watch the video but just from that transcription she sounds insufferable. i also havent watched the snyder dawn of the dead so thats my only opinion. well peace

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
MMF's videos on Snyder and Fight Club seem more motivated by her dislike of film bros than they do by a genuine desire to have a nuanced analysis of the movies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive seen like one snyder movie so i have no opinion on him as a filmmaker (300 was an okay action movie that was very of its time but it had some cool stylization) but idk what about him expels this like, aura, that makes people react in this insane way. like the snyder cut drama, a lot of people were being very stupid about it but at the same time 'i want to see the movie the original director intended' is not an abnormal condition and it was weird that just the basic request for that was interpreted as some weird alt-right dogwhistle. and then it came out and was generally regarded as better than the whedon version (not hard) and people seethed about how they had been GIVEN WHAT THEY WANTED... like what, a slightly better, more coherent version of a movie? i dont get it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The worst effect of the Snydercut is that we're now getting director's cuts hyped up before the movie comes out. Day One DLC for movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mycot posted:

The worst effect of the Snydercut is that we're now getting director's cuts hyped up before the movie comes out. Day One DLC for movies.

It reminds me of the dvd/early bluray era of every comedy having an "UNRATED TOO HOT FOR THEATERS!!" sticker slapped on so they could shoehorn in 3 extra jokes and 5 seconds of nudity

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mycot posted:

Snyder was even selling Rebel Mppn as having an extended cut planned from the off. gently caress you, dude, just make the movie you want to make, you're Zack Snyder.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Snyder was even selling Rebel Mppn as having an extended cut planned from the off. gently caress you, dude, just make the movie you want to make, you're Zack Snyder.

This was netflixs requirement of him

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Now maybe I'm just a big dumb dumb who doesn't understand films, but cutting between riots, religious congregations, soldiers, and the zombie hordes isn't Islamaphobic. It's equating zombies with human mob mentality. Religious organizations, the military, and the general public are all totally overwhelmed by the zombies. So why wouldn't a preacher later in the movie be equivalent to the government guys earlier in the same movie making excuses and being unable to do anything about the situation?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

MacheteZombie posted:

It reminds me of the dvd/early bluray era of every comedy having an "UNRATED TOO HOT FOR THEATERS!!" sticker slapped on so they could shoehorn in 3 extra jokes and 5 seconds of nudity

To continue the analogy releasing multiple theatrical cuts of the same movie e.g. Midsommar is the equivalent of Super Street Fighter II Turbo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mycot posted:

Hbomberguy did a whole video on director’s cuts 4 years ago that basically called this.
https://youtu.be/D6OT77T7YlE?si=udkpDczecbfVqFjL

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Conversely on horror movies it usually means a great kill or something that got cut.

Also, I’d bet that the unrated version of Eurotrip has something good in the extra material, because, you know, Eurotrip

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Endorph posted:

i didnt watch the video but just from that transcription she sounds insufferable. i also havent watched the snyder dawn of the dead so thats my only opinion. well peace

I don’t think it holds up as well as it used too. But it’s ok. I saw the original for the first time a couple years ago and it was incredible. But I think there’s room for both.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

snyder discourse is exhausting. he's just an occasionally hacky but decently interesting auteur director. why is he such a fetish for both sides of a really boring debate?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

why would anyone see a news broadcast/pastor on TV in a zombie movie and not assume that it was parody/satire

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The 7th Guest posted:

why would anyone see a news broadcast/pastor on TV in a zombie movie and not assume that it was parody/satire

that’s what I’m sayin!!!!

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Let me be explicit. My complaint is that she misrepresents the film and then uses that misrepresentation to promote a motivated reading.

She does not state that "fake news coverage in my 2000's zombie film can inadvertently carry the bigoted assumptions of real 2000's news." She states that the fake television in Dawn purposefully and deliberately promotes Snyder's bigotries.

Since RareAcumen helpfully linked the video, let me quote it directly:

What's missing from this is that CJ is a mall cop who pulled a gun on and assaulted the other characters, and who then spends most of the film locked in an office. He's not a protagonist, an "anti-hero," or a hard man making hard decisions. He's an rear end in a top hat and a bigot, and the scene of him watching the pastor is characterization of such.

The take that the audience is meant to take the pastor's words as gospel (lol) is absolutely bizarre and, to be absolutely clear here, does directly accuse Snyder of being a bigot.

Now Zack Snyder is a big boy and he doesn't need my scrawny white rear end to nobly defend him online, but there is no "train of logic" that leads to MMF's reading. And if she was willing to jump through hoops to misrepresent his work because (presumably) he was an acceptable tumblr bad guy for a hot minute, then why would I trust her to be sincere about anything else?

This just reads me as bitching about results rather than asserting a kind of intent. Even if her argument in this case sucks in this case people talk that way over actual slip-ups without necessarily claiming character attacks on the creators all the time.

And boy that argument does suck. Even when she picks the tone of the film just right she only sees "Does this own the right wingers". Again the only standards in which this is true would make Zach not special. But i guess she respects Kojima-bro type behavior when it's about calling Feige being the film lord that secretly helps indie film-making rather than Zach or something.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
i hate zack snyder i think he sucks

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The only Snyder thing I outright hate is the Watchmen adaptation and I'm not sure if that's his fault, Solid Snake's doing, or Warner Brothers.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
If his name was Snack Zyder and he tasted delicious my feelings towards him would be slightly more positive but alas...

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

mycot posted:

The only Snyder thing I outright hate is the Watchmen adaptation and I'm not sure if that's his fault, Solid Snake's doing, or Warner Brothers.

I don't like his superhero stuff in general even if critics don't have the clearest lens for it sometimes.

What's solid snake referring to? If it turns out his big "auteur project" was the way it is because of outside interference that would be quite interesting to know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rockit posted:

I don't like his superhero stuff in general even if critics don't have the clearest lens for it sometimes.

What's solid snake referring to? If it turns out his big "auteur project" was the way it is because of outside interference that would be quite interesting to know.

No I mean literally voice actor David Hayter he cowrote the screenplay

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rockit posted:

David Hayter who voiced Solid Snake has screenwriting credit

EDIT: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

ive seen like one snyder movie so i have no opinion on him as a filmmaker (300 was an okay action movie that was very of its time but it had some cool stylization) but idk what about him expels this like, aura, that makes people react in this insane way.

I had someone explain it to me as being downwind of 2016 era Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War shipping drama, which sounds like bullshit but also is very funny so I've decided to believe it anyways.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

David Hayter, voice of Solid Snake, wrote the screenplay.

It's funny, with Snyder, I like his Superman films a ton - they're my favorite capeshit movies after Blade - and I can discuss them forever. But all his other projects? Just whatever. People don't like them or think they're some ultra-right wing objectivist recruitment project to overthrow democracy or whatever other conspiracy theories people have to invent to personally hate the director, couldn't care less even if I liked those films. I just laugh at that sort of thing these days. But all that "not mah Superman" takes? Those were kinda annoying. One day I'll watch his Watchmen film. I've never read the comic and I'll likely never will since it doesn't really look like my jam but I'm interested in seeing the film that made people hate Snyder more than any of his previous films. It seems like discussion around that film made the "zombies don't run!" and "300 is pro-fascist propaganda" debates look like minor discussions by comparison.

Anyway, that's my TED talk on my place in the Snyder fandom. Thanks for reading.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I had someone explain it to me as being downwind of 2016 era Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War shipping drama, which sounds like bullshit but also is very funny so I've decided to believe it anyways.

That and geek culture freaks out in general when people start liking the guy everybody is supposed to hate.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't have an opinion on Zack Snyder but every male coworker I had couldn't stop fellating him (or any other superhero movies for that matter) for a few years so every time I heard his name I hated him on principle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's funny, with Snyder, I like his Superman films a ton - they're my favorite capeshit movies after Blade - and I can discuss them forever. But all his other projects? Just whatever.

Maybe you actually just like David Goyer????

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

Watchmen is a very good example of this in action: I don't think there was the intention that the film is trying to endorse Rorschach's worldview any more than the source material does, but because every moment of the film is made as dynamic and cinematic as possible, the movie's stance towards the characters on display is more muddled than in the comic.

Technically that's been a thing even back with the source comic. Rorschach is a bitter manchild with toxic hangups about women, queer people, and racial minorities. Even if he didn't get the tragic death at the hands of Doctor Manhattan, right wing comic fans would still have latched onto him. It's something that's surprised and annoyed Alan Moore for years, like with V for Vendetta.

Schwarzwald posted:

Batman v Superman also came out at the right time for all the reactionary content mills to glom onto it as being on "their side" in the "Disney wants to soy all your children" nerd rage cycle. It fit in nicely with the established Marvel vs DC dichotomy, and people were upset at the obviously Frank-Miller-inspired choices in how Batman was depicted. It was consumed in the same noxious discourse miasma as a lot of other controversial movies that get drawn into culture war bullshit.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 27, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t like movies that allow dod propaganda to be included so that they can free access to tanks and planes and Christopher Meloni leading our brave fighting men overseas to defeat General Zod. Most superhero stuff is out for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zombies have been running since Return of the Living Dead if not earlier. Hell Dawn of the Dead wasn't even the first modern zombie movie of the genre revival that had runners, that was 28 Days Later.

I'm not a big fan of Dawn of the Dead '04 but I did think it was a bit unfairly maligned for the running monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rockit posted:

This just reads me as bitching about results rather than asserting a kind of intent. Even if her argument in this case sucks in this case people talk that way over actual slip-ups without necessarily claiming character attacks on the creators all the time.

And boy that argument does suck. Even when she picks the tone of the film just right she only sees "Does this own the right wingers". Again the only standards in which this is true would make Zach not special. But i guess she respects Kojima-bro type behavior when it's about calling Feige being the film lord that secretly helps indie film-making rather than Zach or something.

why do you keep bringing up marvel and other things? this is about a popular youtuber saying some idiotic poo poo that people parrot.