Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Strep Vote posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say I find it hard to believe because don't organs need to be alive to be harvested?

it depends on what they're doing with them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

I would like to move to madagascar

well they’re currently on a severe drought with tens of thousands dead/hundreds of thousands starving. is it because madagascar is “prone to droughts”? also made worse with endemic corruption? the media keep saying so

of course not, the people relied on the prickly pear (Opuntia) to provide water to themselves and their livestock during the dry periods for a millennia. Shortly after the french invasion and take over the French released a parasite which killed the prickly pear to subdue the locals and force them to come off their land and work the plantations. The wonton destruction of the local biodiversity to facilitate rampant imperial exploitation has since left millions dead

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Israeli politicians want everyone to know they are criminals.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

well they’re currently on a severe drought with tens of thousands dead/hundreds of thousands starving. is it because madagascar is “prone to droughts”? also made worse with endemic corruption? the media keep saying so

of course not, the people relied on the prickly pear (Opuntia) to provide water to themselves and their livestock during the dry periods for a millennia. Shortly after the french invasion and take over the French released a parasite which killed the prickly pear to subdue the locals and force them to come off their land and work the plantations. The wonton destruction of the local biodiversity to facilitate rampant imperial exploitation has since left millions dead

the prickly pear, like all cactuses, is native to the Americas. Seems like the use of it in Madagascar was not millennia long, but a relatively recent development after it's introduction by earlier french colonization efforts. which I think is still cool, because utilizing a plant across a huge area that quickly is impressive.

quote:

In 1769, a French Count (and personal friend of Voltaire) hoped to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past. He brought with him to Madagascar a type of prickly pear cactus — Opuntia — to fortify the settlement against aspirational Malagasy arsonists. The count failed to consider, however, that Mexican cacti may not thrive on an Indian Ocean coastline; this settlement barely lasted two years.

And yet, having failed to take root on the shore, the cactus had instead found some fair-weather friends inland. By the time that European colonial forces had found their way back to Malagasy shores in the 1800s, they found a landscape transformed.

While the French were away, Indigenous arborists had woven the cacti through the south of the island like biological barbed wire, standing ten feet tall and laced with quarter-foot spines. French soldiers attempting to access local villages found themselves forced to walk single-file, picked off by patient, protected warriors armed with spears and rusty muskets. The cacti had also been embraced as a drought-resistant food staple, for humans and bovine alike. Infused with liquid in a desert world, the cacti formed living fences for the zebu cattle that embodied local wealth: Opuntia had become raketa gasy (Malagasy cactus).

this article goes into how the cochineal was introduced by the french to destroy the oputina which was being used by people like you describe
https://fedfedfed.com/sliced/how-a-french-botanist-brought-famine-to-madagascar-by-weaponizing-a-parasite

Israelis also use the prickly pear as a national symbol sometimes, they call it sabra. getting pissed at them is how I became a cactus pedant.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Owlbear Camus posted:

Something as concise as headlines calling Slick Willys the cruise missile attacks on aspirin factories after the sloppy toppy affair "Monica Missiles."

That factory produced most of the pharmaceuticals for Sudan, including all their antimalarials, and Clinton "indirectly" murdered tens of thousands of people to distract Americans from his extramarital affair. It was called Al-Shifa, coincidentally.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Strep Vote posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say I find it hard to believe because don't organs need to be alive to be harvested?

There’s a semi-old case where a pathologist was just kind of removing whatever organs from all kinds of bodies and selling them to medical schools and labs: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeh...20universities.

The current conspiracy theory is that skin (for the “skin bank”) and corneas are being harvested, but there’s no proof I’ve seen that would substantiate that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Bone can also be harvested post-mortem, tho I don't know the details.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The fact is I can clearly see from space that nothing grows there

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
man the quoted tweet is like full nazi meltdown

https://twitter.com/cholent_lover/status/1740037057206976937

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

"A fighter in the 890th Battalion returned from Gaza, woke up from a nightmare in the recreational village of Ashkelon - and opened fire in the room. Several soldiers were mildy injured"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1739965823077453844?t=vgBPJalfteFfS2ZBVg9LuA&s=19

alright what the gently caress is a “military recreational village” and why are they allowed to bring their guns there?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

alright what the gently caress is a “military recreational village” and why are they allowed to bring their guns there?

I seem to remember that active IDF members aren't allowed to be without gun, even when recreationalizing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Daiped up Zardoz rear end country

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

look whatever it is I’m sure it’s extremely normal

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Clip-On Fedora posted:

look whatever it is I’m sure it’s extremely normal

It's def this and FOR SURE not some weird rehash of antique bullshit

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

choosing to believe that the idf guy went on the ghost train ride in the recreational village but got so scared of the animatronic palestinians that he blew away the other passengers

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Daiped up Zardoz rear end country

The gun is good, and retrieving the Seed of Men from the Penis, that is also good

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i'd shoot at someone too if they were trying to take me back to the frontlines

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

they're right

the northeastern corner extending up to the borders of jordan, syria, and lebanon is a great place to resettle displaced palestinians

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Why hasn't tel aviv been nuked yet?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

you must always be fully armed, safety off, one in the chamber, lest a dastardly terrorist pop up at any time

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Honky Mao posted:

Why hasn't tel aviv been nuked yet?

no one wants to turn 2 million deaths into 7+ billion, except maybe americans i guess?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

anyway long time no post death to israel get that poo poo outra here

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

dads friend steve posted:

you must always be fully armed, safety off, one in the chamber, lest a dastardly terrorist pop up at any time

Because of weapons laws in my area I just carry a Dodgers mini-baseball bat around. For all the law knows I’m traveling to the park to play mini-ball.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only reason this (quoted) guy "ain't gonna take you crap" is because I'm not Palestinian.

Very clearly he is into taking other's crap though. Like. Demonstrably false.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Puppy Burner posted:

no one wants to turn 2 million deaths into 7+ billion, except maybe americans i guess?

This guy kisses Zionists on the lips

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/childe_hourly/status/1739903008916254898?t=X33MBsbIW7uTMbzwX9ulFw&s=19

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sancho Banana posted:

"A fighter in the 890th Battalion returned from Gaza, woke up from a nightmare in the recreational village of Ashkelon - and opened fire in the room. Several soldiers were mildy injured"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1739965823077453844?t=vgBPJalfteFfS2ZBVg9LuA&s=19

waking up in cold sweat to the sound of children laughing, reflexively loading my gun and spraying in all directions.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 23:38 on Dec 27, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Israelis also use the prickly pear as a national symbol sometimes, they call it sabra. getting pissed at them is how I became a cactus pedant.

God how on the nose do they have to be to use a plant from somewhere else as national symbol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

you also got to read it if you were in D&D between 2004-2006 it was all the same poo poo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

KomradeX posted:

God how on the nose do they have to be to use a plant from somewhere else as national symbol

golda meir grew up in Wisconsin

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Dreylad posted:

you also got to read it if you were in D&D between 2004-2006 it was all the same poo poo

:happyelf:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fuligin posted:

The gun is good, and retrieving the Seed of Men from the Penis, that is also good

It has to be exactly the correct seeds, otherwise shoot death

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/levitorres_/status/1739924037575520582

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Puppy Burner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgTwxSCJ-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rfM9ozRzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqlIDz3zffQ

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lmao

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Free Pallet Sign

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rodney The Yam II posted:

[P vs I] Free Pallet Sign

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Weka posted:

Evaluation of Novel Antimicrobial Peptides as Topical Anti-Infectives with Broad-Spectrum Activity against Combat Related Bacterial and Fungal Wound Infections

October 2018

U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
Fort Detrick, Maryland

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/trecms/pdf/AD1093567.pdf

It rules you can just make offhand jokes like this and they are actually true.

lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Free Pallet Sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

x nee Twitter is full of guys that if you invented as fictional characters you'd be accused of doing tropes