Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Android Apocalypse posted:

With the Flaccosance underway & the Browns having an actual shot at the playoffs, I started thinking about cursed teams.

In 2016 the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, breaking their 107-year drought. The trade off? :chaostrump:

With 2024 having another presidential election, if you are a Browns fan would you be willing to have :trumppop: back in office if it meant another Super Bowl win?

2016 the RNC was in Cleveland.
2016 Game 7 of the World Series was in Cleveland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Flikken posted:

2016 the RNC was in Cleveland.
2016 Game 7 of the World Series was in Cleveland

Joe Flacco wins the super bowl and reveals himself to be JFK Jr. On the 50 yard line.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

With the Flaccosance underway & the Browns having an actual shot at the playoffs, I started thinking about cursed teams.

In 2016 the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, breaking their 107-year drought. The trade off? :chaostrump:

With 2024 having another presidential election, if you are a Browns fan would you be willing to have :trumppop: back in office if it meant another Super Bowl win?

I'm not sure how to feel about the prospect of Flacco traveling to Baltimore and upsetting a super bowl caliber Ravens team in the divisional round.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

solarjetman posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the prospect of Flacco traveling to Baltimore and upsetting a super bowl caliber Ravens team in the divisional round.

With the Bills another probable WC team and pretty hot right now alongside the Browns only needing 1 win to clinch the 5th seed I think there is a good shot that the Browns wouldn't face Baltimore unless they make the AFCCG.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In 2016 the Cleveland team lost in the finals to an even more miserable team.

So yeah, Lions over Browns Super Bowl, book it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

solarjetman posted:

The odds start off at 3% per https://www.ftnfantasy.com/articles/FTN/104089/dvoa-playoff-odds . Maybe they go down to 2% with replacement-level QB play. Maybe Stidham is better than replacement level.

TD rate is Russ's best stat this year, and it's boosted by a half dozen "gently caress it Courtland is down there somewhere" throws that ended as amazing catches. In net yards per attempt (basically yards per attempt with sacks included, and you have to include sacks when you're evaluating Russ) is a career-low 5.72. He's been better than last year but still inconsistent and sack-prone, running an offense that is clearly designed to hide his weaknesses.

He's been average overall and there are few prospects for him getting any better.

It's probably an impulsive decision, perhaps a little premature. But you're trading a sliver of a chance to be the 7th seed, to prevent a sliver of a chance that Russ gets injured and puts a huge cap burden on your team for 2025. So I'm not mad.

I checked out some stats on this.
  • offensive yards are down across the league this year
  • 5.72 net yards per attempt ranks Wilson around ~20th
  • Russ is 5th in sack yards taken
  • ”gently caress it, throw it deep for a magic reception” is part of Russell.

I agree that it’s the right decision for Denver to bench Russ.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Good to see Broncos fans giving up hope on a miracle playoff run so the Walmart fucks get to save some money, lol

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

solarjetman posted:

It'll be the AFC Championship Game and it will cause me extreme internal strife.

My current head cannon is that Flacco comes out to midfield with a microphone during pregame to address the crowd. He thanks us all, and me specifically, for our dedicated fandom and our service in the 2010s internet wars over NFL eliteness. Then Flacco turns toward the tunnel and walks out of the stadium. He keeps walking, stripping off his jersey, pads, and armor as he goes. He walks all night and into the morning until eventually he is outside the front door of a large, tasteful home in suburban Delaware. The door opens to reveal the lovely family Flacco. Joe kisses his wife, hugs is children, and proceeds downstairs to the basement. He walks through the dark to a wall where he picks up a stray electrical cord and inserts it into the outlet. As an orange/blue light washes over him Flacco approaches his beloved Demolition Man pinball machine. His work done, his duty fulfilled, Joseph Vincent Flacco whispers softly " Thank you for waiting. Now, it's our time."

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Please tell me that Flacco really owns a Demolition Man pinball machine.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Old Story from before the Superbowl posted:

You can tell Matt Birk likes telling this story. The veteran center is talking about how generous Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is with his offensive linemen, particularly at Christmas. This year's gift? Bose speaker systems.

Birk decided the offensive line should reciprocate. The problem? He'd have to do some digging to figure out what the quarterback would like.

One day, Birk casually asked Flacco, "Do you golf?"

"No, I don't golf," Flacco said.

"Do you fish?"

"No, I don't fish."

"What do you do in your off time?"

"I just like to sit around," Flacco said. "I hang out in my basement."

As he sat at a podium, with Super Bowl XLVII less than a week away, Birk smiled: "That's just Joe."

So what did the offensive linemen come up with?

"A pinball machine," Birk said, then took a dramatic pause. "For his basement."

It's strongly implied.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is a highly disrespectful omission of Denver Broncos Starting QB Kendall Hinton.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm glad this team is giving up now. I don't want to get blown out in the playoffs. Save the energy for next year.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean Russ looked good enough to potentially be dangled as an upgrade to a team that wants to make the wild card. He's clearly on the better half of the broncos roster but also way out of their timeline.

Thinking out loud: Steelers, Raiders, maybe Seahawks (lol), Vikes could bite.

How could they trade him past the deadline?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Black Sunshine posted:

Good to see Broncos fans giving up hope on a miracle playoff run so the Walmart fucks get to save some money, lol

Pretty sure it’s about future cap space, not money. The Broncos aren’t a good team right now and Russ isn’t the answer, they should be doing everything they could to prepare for the future.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's strongly implied.

I need to know which one though, if it’s Medieval Madness I may have to reluctantly root for him.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bows1 posted:

How could they trade him past the deadline?

In the offseason

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

I need to know which one though, if it’s Medieval Madness I may have to reluctantly root for him.

It’s Addams Family, obviously

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1740106517775524057?s=20

quote:

“I just want to play ball,” Levis said. “I just want to go out there and win games and leave this season with a good taste in our mouth.

i cant take that quote seriously from some rear end in a top hat who puts mayo in coffee

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://x.com/BrandonPerna/status/1740089945526853949?s=20

Perna seems to be taking it well. :v:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This sucks man

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Does Russ have any sort of leg to stand on as far as filing a grievance against the Broncos? I'm sure teams have done this sort of wink wink nudge nudge stuff before but I've never heard of one so blatantly saying 'yeah, we don't want to pay this guy'

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rogue Elephant posted:

Does Russ have any sort of leg to stand on as far as filing a grievance against the Broncos? I'm sure teams have done this sort of wink wink nudge nudge stuff before but I've never heard of one so blatantly saying 'yeah, we don't want to pay this guy'

Why should he be able to file a grievance? The contract specifically has (really expensive) outs in it for the Broncos. It's not like they aren't paying him and then nothing happens.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
yea this makes sense, they're not making the playoffs barring some miraculous poo poo so now its time to worry about the next year. if Wilson isn't able to pass a physical this coming Mar they're stuck with him for another year or two otherwise they can take their medicine next year and be free. Payton's got the absolute most you can get out of him and clearly doesn't want to demolish his future cap space for a dude that's seemingly incapable of playing within structure. Broncos are a year away from being out of this stretch of having zero options for getting talent, might as well get everything else in order so you can start truly competing soon

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Broncos let's riiiiide the bench.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lol what a dog poo poo franchise.

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1739996085861425360?t=g2LXHpSSJe3SwRN0vBvAUg&s=19

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Incredible. Gentle reminder that the front office and coaching staff are safe.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1740122102647173376?t=tizDNArDT9hHdpAm7ucpVA&s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As much as I love the Broncos eating massive poo poo for the Russ deal, the fact that they're still in the playoff hunt and throwing up the white flag now just shows how bitchmade that franchise is. You're benching Russ to save money? foh

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not entirely certain that Stidham is a downgrade in the first place.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Considering the Broncos are facing an Easton Stick-led Chargers, I can totally believe Stidham can win.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

gently caress that, bleed the rich fucks.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Payton understands the reality of their situation.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RespectMyCos/status/1740149685053276372?t=gkhw-zkocCeGCWujuK193w&s=19

Please be real please be real

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

As much as I love the Broncos eating massive poo poo for the Russ deal, the fact that they're still in the playoff hunt and throwing up the white flag now just shows how bitchmade that franchise is. You're benching Russ to save money? foh

You play to win the game

Walmart rear end moves from a Walmart rear end franchise

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Payton is probably tired of competing for control of the offense with Russ, he wants someone who will just do exactly what he says every play. He'd probably love a Purdy or Goff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I am once again wondering how Payton screaming at Russ on the sideline for no reason fits into all of this because there's no way you can convince me it's not connected now.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

they will trade Wilson to the Browns straight up for Watson.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

That’s not even Future

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I am once again wondering how Payton screaming at Russ on the sideline for no reason fits into all of this because there's no way you can convince me it's not connected now.

https://x.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/1740122412774011131?s=20

Good news! He’s moved beyond making GBS threads on Russ to making GBS threads on the entire offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
It has to be something other than injury risk -- Russ has nanobubbles.