Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

actually never mind not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Posting is always Worth It

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spwrozek posted:

actually never mind not worth it.

:justpost:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My gown is white
From dawn till night
Along the road
Of anthracite!

They don't build them like the Lackawanna anymore...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It was ultimately not relevant to the home buying thread.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean places like this not some weird farm with a yurt and a persistent weird smell or a sex/murder retreat cult

So a successful cult!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Great! I get to house hunt and move next month! Going to lose my 2.8% interest rate :(

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean places like this not some weird farm with a yurt and a persistent weird smell or a sex/murder retreat cult

Having a nice community center seems pleasant, but “hiding cars away” can gently caress right off. As a concept it seems great for rich hippies, though I do wonder about the nitty gritty of “actually getting money to pay for nice things.”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tnuctip posted:

Having a nice community center seems pleasant, but “hiding cars away” can gently caress right off. As a concept it seems great for rich hippies, though I do wonder about the nitty gritty of “actually getting money to pay for nice things.”

All that means is that there's a central green area without streets, it's a completely normal thing for townhouse developments to have

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

All that means is that there's a central green area without streets, it's a completely normal thing for townhouse developments to have

No, that's not "all" that means. The very language is indicative of their sanctimonious position on the topic. Words mean things.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

No, that's not "all" that means. The very language is indicative of their sanctimonious position on the topic. Words mean things.

Yeah words do mean things, and those words mean that there is an inner green space and probably some walking paths. It doesn't matter how you feel about it, this is pretty normal phrasing for townhome advertisements and doesn't say anything about the people living there

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you want to accuse the community of being pretentious, the invite-only waiting list is right there use that instead

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah words do mean things, and those words mean that there is an inner green space and probably some walking paths. It doesn't matter how you feel about it, this is pretty normal phrasing for townhome advertisements and doesn't say anything about the people living there

Sorry I agree with the other poster. The phrasing is pretty sanctimonious, and saying you’ll “hide cars away” or whatever, is kinda telling that if you don’t conform to how they want you and your possessions to be organized, it might be a bear to live there. Hence the wariness about HOAs organized in this way.

If you’re just advertising copious green space,
you can advertise copious green space, without making it sound like you’re taking a moral stand about how people should or should not live.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
It is almost 2024, words haven't meant anything for nearly a decade.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

People complaining about anti car language in ad copy for a bay area development:

In Texas? Pretentious hippie garbage. Residential developments have a minimum parking spaces specified in the local land use code for a reason, damnit. I'm not going to pay to subsidize your bus. Get a real job and drive a truck like everyone else

In the bay area? Well if you don't say that you're just another car worshipping suburban elitist destroying the environment by getting in your car to go get groceries every week rather than just walking and taking public transit, then good luck getting a building permit. We got rid of parking minimums to encourage walkable neighborhoods and encourage public transit

Different strokes for different folks

Edit: forgot if I was arguing the positive or the negative in a giant run on sentence

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 27, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inner Light posted:

Sorry I agree with the other poster. The phrasing is pretty sanctimonious, and saying you’ll “hide cars away” or whatever, is kinda telling that if you don’t conform to how they want you and your possessions to be organized, it might be a bear to live there. Hence the wariness about HOAs organized in this way.

If you’re just advertising copious green space,
you can advertise copious green space, without making it sound like you’re taking a moral stand about how people should or should not live.

The pictures are showing copious green space. The houses don't have garages, they show a communication parking lot type thing. It's not a "we don't want to see poor people's cars" situation, these are literally " 4+ families share a kitchen and living room and outdoor space pseudo commune thing. I mean, yeah you sorta need to conform to that kind of thing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lockback posted:

The pictures are showing copious green space. The houses don't have garages, they show a communication parking lot type thing. It's not a "we don't want to see poor people's cars" situation, these are literally " 4+ families share a kitchen and living room and outdoor space pseudo commune thing. I mean, yeah you sorta need to conform to that kind of thing.

Every townhome is a complete home with everything you'd expect in one wrt to kitchens and bathrooms and living rooms. The waitlist is just a contact list that anyone can join - it's not an invite-only situation (but they are oversubscribed in interest)

The communal spaces include an extra couple of kitchens, rooms, offices, green spaces, etc for everyone to share. I can't remember the car situation in that place, but almost nobody has a garage and they have zipcars available too. Parking is definitely a contentious topic in cohousing and usually causes the most arguments and requires the most management because a big chunk of the giant communal spaces are usually earned at the cost of a parking lot or private garages. The one we're looking at in the bay area doesn't have a dedicated parking spot for each unit and they're doing car stackers for the very limited number of spots they do have + reserving one spot for a car-share.

All of that being said though. Yeah. It's co-housing. You're absolutely expected to colive - which means getting along with people and "conforming" (ie: participating in one way or another.) What that means in practice depends on what they decided to put into the governing documents, but from my experience it's less about what color flowers you plant or the color of your drapes and more about how many hours you're putting in to community work (gardening, cooking, planning, etc.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The zillow ad has a bunch of cars and attached garages featured in it, here are some streetview images

It really seems like they're fine with garages, carports, and cars being parked out in the open :shrug:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i have an optional hoa in my area

the only words i have said to their representative are 'no thank you' and 'please leave now.'

never hoa.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Deviant posted:

i have an optional hoa in my area

the only words i have said to their representative are 'no thank you' and 'please leave now.'

never hoa.

So what you're saying is you failed to unhinge your jaw and eat the representative whole?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Duck and Cover posted:

So what you're saying is you failed to unhinge your jaw and eat the representative whole?

no that was reserved for the solar panel guy who came back after i told him very specifically not to come back. to whom i may have politely threatened. haven't seen him since.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Inspections have passed! We're committed now, folks. :supaburn:

Hardest part of this, mentally anyway, is gonna be moving my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country. Way too big to fit in a carryon, which means he has to go in the cargo hold :(

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Inspections have passed! We're committed now, folks. :supaburn:

Hardest part of this, mentally anyway, is gonna be moving my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country. Way too big to fit in a carryon, which means he has to go in the cargo hold :(

I’ve never done this with a doggo. Hope they allow some toys and treats to keep him comfortable ish. I don’t think he’ll mind a ton once he sees you on the other side. Would be curious on a trip report.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure about post pandemic but United has a dedicated pet shipping service, with pet shipping service staff so they're not knocked around like regular cargo boxes or left out in the rain. I shipped two cats in '15 DFW to SFO with no problems

They always made a ton of noise when traveling by car. Constantly meowing. When I picked them up from the airport (cargo pickup area) they were so exhausted they just lay there quietly until I got them to my apartment. Never seen them so tired before.

You'll need to upgrade your plastic pet carrier to use real metal bolts from the hardware store, get the biggest washers you can find so the bolts don't tear out. The "bolts" used by most pet carriers are actually injection molded plastic

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I’ve never done this with a doggo. Hope they allow some toys and treats to keep him comfortable ish. I don’t think he’ll mind a ton once he sees you on the other side. Would be curious on a trip report.

I'll probably talk more about it in the dog-owners thread when the time comes. It's gonna be at least a month though, since the sale doesn't close until February. The main tricky thing is that the only airlines with direct flights are American and United, United doesn't allow large dogs at all, and American requires you to use "American Airlines Cargo", which I'm not super clear on. But as long as I'm on the same plane as Pavlov is, I think we'll be OK.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man gently caress that. I’d take a road trip.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I considered it, but it's 42 hours of driving, it'd be in winter, I have no training for driving in snow, I'd have to rent a car (mine is an EV with a max range of 150 miles), and I have a back issue that makes sitting down for long periods a problem.

Even so, I haven't ruled it out entirely...but I would much prefer to fly.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Lol we did this with my bernese mountain dog for our wedding back in OR. it was a noisy ride listening to him pant the whole way there

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I considered it, but it's 42 hours of driving, it'd be in winter, I have no training for driving in snow, I'd have to rent a car (mine is an EV with a max range of 150 miles), and I have a back issue that makes sitting down for long periods a problem.

Even so, I haven't ruled it out entirely...but I would much prefer to fly.

Rent a U haul and a trailer to tow your car. I assume you have to get your stuff out there somehow...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

Rent a U haul and a trailer to tow your car. I assume you have to get your stuff out there somehow...

God, gently caress packing and hauling all my stuff personally. Moving companies save so much effort. Not to mention I own too much crap to fit into a consumer-drivable truck. And I'd get anxiety over someone deciding to break into the U-Haul in the middle of the night. Plus the back thing.

And bear in mind that between gas, car rental, and hotel fees, flying will be a lot cheaper.

This is one of those situations where I actually spend the money I've been saving up. Let other people solve my problems for me, I'll be stressed enough as it is.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah a 24' u haul is... It's not totally immune to snow, but doesn't struggle with 1-2" of snow fully loaded with everything you own. Drove Dallas to San Francisco in December including a snowy pit stop at the Grand canyon, no problem at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And for the most part our interstates are so vital to our trucking based economy that they're kept snow free with the rare blizzard exception. That said, if you have back issues, gently caress driving for five days.

There's pet transport specialty outfits.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Also the standard for “should we close this road” is basically “given that some crazy goddamn trucker is going to drive over this pass if it’s open at all, do we think they’re going to crash”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the only actual snow I encountered was on the 2 lane rural connector road between the interstate and the grand canyon. Unless you're taking like I-90 between South Dakota and Idaho or somewhere in the NE it's unlikely for the road to get cold enough for snow to stick. I-40 certainly wasn't

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I mean, they did just shut down I-70 at the Colorado-Kansas border for most of a day this week, which is not particularly mountainous.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Found a house my wife and i like but before we put together an offer it was listed contingent on xmas day. talked to our realtor about a back up offer and decided it wasnt worth doing at this time. Fast forward to today, seller's agent reaches out to our agent that they are considering cancelling the purchase agreement on the current offer because the buyers want to drill 200 holes in the stucco with a more invasive inspection (Minnesota) without written evidence of suspicion of water damage.

Anyways, since they want us to make an offer so they can back out, I guess the play would be to use that as leverage to come in lower than list. It seems like prices have come down overall in the market. How can I best use the information available to me? This whole process is goofy.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 28, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

in a well actually posted:

I mean, they did just shut down I-70 at the Colorado-Kansas border for most of a day this week, which is not particularly mountainous.

Yeah the plains get nasty winds and drifting which is Very Bad

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

barkbell posted:

Found a house my wife and i like but before we put together an offer it was listed contingent on xmas day. talked to our realtor about a back up offer and decided it wasnt worth doing at this time. Fast forward to today, seller's agent reaches out to our agent that they are considering cancelling the purchase agreement on the current offer because the buyers want to drill 200 holes in the stucco with a more invasive inspection (Minnesota) without written evidence of suspicion of water damage.

Anyways, since they want us to make an offer so they can back out, I guess the play would be to use that as leverage to come in lower than list. It seems like prices have come down overall in the market. How can I best use the information available to me? This whole process is goofy.

You can use the information to understand that you shouldn't buy a modern stick built stucco house period. The other buyers just figured that out when their inspector told them how little that can inspect by observation and just how big the bill can be if there is damage. Hint: some homes are torn down because it's literally cheaper to start over from and empty basement than to remediate all of the rotted out framing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are the problems with a modern stick built stucco house

:ohdear:

We are in a wildly different climate than Minnesota, we get about 18" of rain annually and outside temps rarely go below freezing and my neighbor has several very mature orange trees. The newish development my MIL lives in are all stucco stick built

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

What are the problems with a modern stick built stucco house

:ohdear:

We are in a wildly different climate than Minnesota, we get about 18" of rain annually and outside temps rarely go below freezing and my neighbor has several very mature orange trees. The newish development my MIL lives in are all stucco stick built

Many different stucco and stucco like systems on stick built homes are installed with the wrong backing materials and no, inadequate or improper drainage. There are spates of issues going on around the country at different times as the realize a few entire mcmansion developments were dome wrong by some subcontractor who hires their labor from the home depot parking lot at 06:30 every morning and doesn't supervise them at all.

Here's the loca to me one, Toll Brothers: https://6abc.com/troubleshooters-stucco-nightmare-nydia-han/1590818/

But it happens all over and no, your insurance isn't likely to cover it.

https://www.wftv.com/news/action-9/dozens-of-homeowners-claim-houses-are-falling-apart-but-major-builder-refuses-to-fix-them/860428444/

https://buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-029-stucco-woes-the-perfect-storm

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 28, 2023