Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

GreatGreen posted:

Starfield sold well entirely because of the name "Bethesda" being associated with it, and the goodwill the company has built from their previous games, as well as an absolutely massive marketing campaign that was *very* careful about not revealing too much about what the game actually was and wasn't.

People point to sales figures as if that has anything to do with a game's quality, especially when it comes from a company with decades of well known, well-appreciated releases behind them. Of course people are just going to buy the game based on the company's record. If Steven Spielberg took a poo poo in a paper bag and just put a rolling camera on that bag for two hours, and there was a giant marketing push for the movie where they framed it as "the boldest release from legendary director Steven Spielberg" blah blah, but didn't actually reveal what it was, then yes it would sell like crazy. Doesn't mean it would be a good movie.

The fact that Bethesda developers have been not just "responding," but responding argumentatively and defensively to negative reviews, simply reveals how thin skinned and unprofessional they are, which is an entirely separate but still informative issue.

I don't think the Steven Spielberg bag poo poo movie would do well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Strawberry Panda posted:

You haven't seen 1941, have you?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spielberg's films haven't done well lately.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if it had a good soundtrack.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

counterpoint: ready player one took in $600m internationally

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't really liked anything from Spielberg since Munich, and that was in 2005. He was at his height in the 80s and 90s, since the mid 2000s has been going downhill in quality as a director.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm still waiting on that Tintin sequel, but I fear Peter Jackson may have transformed into a stale muffin in the meantime.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spielberg has been on a downward trajectory ever since Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm still waiting on that Tintin sequel, but I fear Peter Jackson may have transformed into a stale muffin in the meantime.

Peter Jackson really struck lightning in a bottle three straight times with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I would have just retired as a director after that because there is no way he will ever make a movie that matches those films.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peter Jackson's King King: the Videogame is the best thing his name has been on

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They were a curse because they locked him into the Hobbit.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Vermain posted:

king kong's copyright is a huge tangled mess, with different incarnations of the character commanding different IP rights. the licensee behind the kong game was joe devito, who owns some kind of "skull island universe" thing that's mostly remained in comic book form, but his company made a recent concerted effort to push the IP out into the wild and try to get some more value added on to it, possibly due to the resurgence in kong interest thanks to universal's monsterverse

it's basically the old "send the license to LJN and see what comes out" practice from the NES days but put into modern shovelware form

See, that's fascinating. I guessed that King Kong Kopyright was in some kind of limbo between multiple "part-owners" just due to its age, but you would think that even the most meager owner would have exerted some kind of creative control over the product that resulted in either a better product or a product that never saw the light of day

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

fez_machine posted:

There's no industry thread so I'll put it here Killmonday games laid of some people and reduced size (probably for the better as they're a boutique adventure game company with one hit to their name):
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/362680/view/3882730411564636503

sad but expected, unfortunately. seems like a move for the better.

nati & isak are sweet people & used to communicate alot, post regular vlogs, etc all the way through Little Misfortune getting released, but then quieted down a bit the last few yrs & seemed to get lost in experimenting with 3d stuff they had little to no experience w/, which was a recipe for churning through a lot of time/money. this was after a previous overambitious project had to get dropped before Little Misfortune, so it seems like they really need to find a way to limit their scope to avoid burnout... or get outside help to manage these big ambitious projects, but that comes w/ it's own issues.

hopefully they can use this time to pull back & find a healthier way to channel their creativity that works for them better. not everyone is made to run a studio full of ppl, especially w/ little experience in mgmt. hell, most indie teams can't even manage a discord server without the entire community imploding into drama and taking half the team with them within a couple yrs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

goatface posted:

They were a curse because they locked him into the Hobbit.
I'm sure he could have just refused to do those

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Peter Jackson really struck lightning in a bottle three straight times with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I would have just retired as a director after that because there is no way he will ever make a movie that matches those films.

king kong was genuinely quite good, but i think the terrible experience with the hobbit pushed him out of directing completely. dude's only made one film after those three wrapped up - a modestly budgeted WW1 documentary - and not a peep since

i guess he technically has a writing and producing credit on mortal engines but i'm still not convinced that film actually exists

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
lol the point stands though. Starfield didn't sell well because it's a good game or even because it was some simple but effective game "for the masses."
It sold well entirely because people knew it was made by Bethesda, makers of Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, and Morrowind, and because it had literally hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing it to the public.

It is not a good game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 28, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

See, that's fascinating. I guessed that King Kong Kopyright was in some kind of limbo between multiple "part-owners" just due to its age, but you would think that even the most meager owner would have exerted some kind of creative control over the product that resulted in either a better product or a product that never saw the light of day

they took a very scattershot approach to their version of the IP, with them licensing it out for a song to low rent properties like board games, comic books, a loving soft drink, model kits, etc. they either think that just getting it out there is going to increase their Brand Value and aren't too careful with monitoring the final product, or they're getting approached by other people who want to cash in on the kong kraze themselves with the affordable wish.com version of the IP and the devito company's financials aren't gonna say no

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Spielberg has been on a downward trajectory ever since Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair

Yeah those cheap folding ones will collapse under you

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Finished up Alan Wake 1 and then immediately started downloading AW2.

Started playing it a couple of hours ago and holey poo poo this is incredible.

If anyone has felt like "the generation hasn't really started yet" what with major games still coming to PS4 and the like, well, Alan Wake 2 is here to save the day. I thought Cyberpunk looked pretty good with the new RT Overdrive stuff they added and the Dead Space Remake had some crazy good atmospheric use of light and really well made environments, but AW2 is even better. It's not just technical brilliance either, really immersive and intense atmosphere. Writing is good, interesting characters, plot has me intrigued.

I'm going to have to rearrange the upper half of my top10 goty list I think.

also, the Epic Game Store achievement sound is very silly and kind of ruins the amazing sound design in AW2 when it pops up...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mystes posted:

I'm sure he could have just refused to do those

Lol MGM had Del Toro doing it but they didn't even have the rights sorted out until he couldn't do it anymore and they roped Jackson back in bc at that point I guess, who else?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

Lol MGM had Del Toro doing it but they didn't even have the rights sorted out until he couldn't do it anymore and they roped Jackson back in bc at that point I guess, who else?

Didn't they lure him in by threatening to take production out of NZ when he didn't? And then NZ workers managed to get screwed in the process anyway. He should have just turned down the pile of money and let the project die.

*insert link to Lindsay Ellis video here*

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I picked up Far Cry 6 in the steam sale.

Played it for about an hour. Bounced off it.

Landed back on Far Cry 5.

I think FC5 is the best Far Cry. I love the setting, there's a real forboding atmosphere over the whole thing, things get stupid chaotic at times and things aren't overly complicated for the sake of being complicated.

Like, who wants to switch between Armor Piercing and Non-AP bullet-firing guns all the drat time?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bethesda has been making the same game since Oblivion and I guess people finally got sick of it.

Like I think it's time for us to admit that yes, Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fallout 3 didn't let you play as a lizzo wizzo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I think it's time for us to admit that yes, Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns.

Maybe, but it was better than Starfield.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Maybe, but it was better than Starfield.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

And New Vegas was Shivering Isles with guns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

nah i've seen Scholars. They never turn the page they have open, makes me think it really is just for show. I remember going to a relative's house a few years ago, looking over their bookshelf, and seeing a beautifully-bound copy of moby dick. I picked it up to look at, and heard the telltale crack of a book spine that had never been opened before. And that's ff14 scholars

scholars have to get in melee range if they want to hit people with the book

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Bethesda has been making the same game since Oblivion and I guess people finally got sick of it.

I don't think that is it, actually I would argue that Starfield is not Skyrim/Fallout 4 in space, and that is why people don't like it. The way the content is spread out, and how barren and devoid of gameplay the proc-gen content ended up being, is why people turned on Bethesda.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hogama posted:

And New Vegas was Shivering Isles with guns.

New Vegas is so good, I would murder for a remake with next-gen graphics.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Runa posted:

scholars have to get in melee range if they want to hit people with the book

So you're saying you can't throw the book at them?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

If we're murdering people for stuff I'd ask for a proper sequel made by the original Obsidian team.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think this is it. The reaction to Starfield isn't people "getting tired" of Bethesda's formula. The reaction to Starfield happened because Bethesda completely abandoned the formula altogether.

There is still a huge market for people who just want to just build out characters with some specific class fantasy theme in mind and LARP around huge Bethesda-style worlds, just exploring and adventuring for its own sake. It's just that Bethesda is now apparently a company comprised entirely of talentless hacks who can't even make a competent version of a game in a genre they practically invented decades ago, and people are turning on them because of it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 28, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Best I can do is a London total conversion mod + campaign for Fallout 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PuzpblWpVM

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Outer Worlds is everything I wanted Starfield to be, I just wanted a bigger more ambitious RPG. Starfield got maybe a quarter of the way there. It just did so much wrong. I really hope Bethesda fixes the game and addresses its problems over time because its a dream come true RPG for me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah I figured more people really just wanted something closer to Bethesda's Outer Worlds even if they wouldn't have articulated that before launch.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
All I remember is Todd Howard saying "Han Solo Simulator" and instead we got a huge wet stinky fart.

Non-edit: LMAO he also said "NASA meets Indiana Jones meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'd rather a new IP based on the same New Vegas team than another Fallout game. It's too bad Outer Worlds was a swing and a miss, because the setting was quite nice. I never understood why the Bethesda-era Fallout setting is so obsessed with eternal grime. It's been over 200 years and everything is still made out of ancient rusted sheet metal and everyone lives with filthy piles of rubble. At least Fallout 2 had signs of rebuilding.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

All I remember is Todd Howard saying "Han Solo Simulator" and instead we got a huge wet stinky fart.

Non-edit: LMAO he also said "NASA meets Indiana Jones meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

Yeaaah just don't take anything Todd Howard says at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeaaah just don't take anything Todd Howard says at face value.

Obviously, I only bring it up now because of how outlandishly wrong it is. Starfield was also noticeably light on specifics right up until release, so I would imagine vast amounts of customers only had Todd's word to go off of.