Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JediTalentAgent posted:

Mulder looks upon the wreckage, wondering if its destruction was a good or bad thing in the overall scheme of things. Scully comforts him with the idea that, "Who knows, Mulder. If what you said is true, if you believe it, it died being hit by a truck, too. If you believe its victims are still alive on some other world as great heroes, maybe it is, too..."

that does sound exactly like something she'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes: I really liked Warehouse 13, although IIRC the ending was bad

Eureka was not good

I remember Haven being fairly decent, filled with regular C/D-level scifi actors, and it often delivered above the sum of its parts.

I also remember thinking "awww, it's nice that he's trying to get a real acting gig" whenever I saw "WWE SuperStar Edge" in the opening credits. He wasn't bad.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I think he may have been on a few episodes of Arrow?

But again, signs your career is "meh"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If I'm having a bad day I just think about that titty bigfoot Mulder drew

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can someone successfully and succinctily summarize the "Mythology" storyline?
The black goo, the aliens, the bees, the abductions, etc.

I can't do it successfully, but IIRC the whole plot was a long term project by a group of humans working with aliens to create an alien-human hybrid. The aliens were the dominant partner in this relationship.

Am I close?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The reason its hard to follow is the reason why the G-men are doing things is a moving goal post. The writers didn't have a 'bible' so much as Chris Carters rantings.

At first it seems they want to make human/alien hybrids. Archives of human DNA to see if they are good subjects for mixing dna. The black goo is an alien that makes... more aliens? But there is a resistance to this (the guys with sewn up eyes and mouths). The bees are related to the human clones, but the bees carry a weapon to kill non hybrids? Mix this in with the smoking man trying to undermine the aliens.... Later seasons say they want to make super humans.

I mean the plot I guess is the FBI met aliens and negotiated a deal, but the deal required human subjects (their kids). Mulder's dad regretted this, but CSM was okay... cause he is really Mulder's dad? They seem to want to collect aliens to test on to reverse engineer a cure to the alien's dna (which I think are in the bees/black goo?). Also the CSM uses Mulder's search for his sister as a tool to motivate Mulder.

Its all very dumb and rereading my post is just as dumb.

Edit: While I think Season 4 and 5 have the most popular episodes, I really like 1 and 2 for how mundane they look.

Edit 2: Actually I really like X. His short story arc is my favorite. Dude wants to help but doesn't want to put his life on the line, then ultimately saves Mulder.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 28, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

redshirt posted:

I can't do it successfully, but IIRC the whole plot was a long term project by a group of humans working with aliens to create an alien-human hybrid. The aliens were the dominant partner in this relationship.

Am I close?

I think so. There was an intergalactic war going on that humans were kind of pawns in? And Earth was going to be colonised?

Honestly, it's like a 6 year old describing a dream.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The episode The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat is really fun because it kinda fucks up the entire Mythology storyline lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Like, if you want to get some enjoyment of the last few seasons of the X-Files, watch through to that episode and just stop right there. It's such a great end cap to the series

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The reason its hard to follow is the reason why the G-men are doing things is a moving goal post. The writers didn't have a 'bible' so much as Chris Carters rantings.

At first it seems they want to make human/alien hybrids. Archives of human DNA to see if they are good subjects for mixing dna. The black goo is an alien that makes... more aliens? But there is a resistance to this (the guys with sewn up eyes and mouths). The bees are related to the human clones, but the bees carry a weapon to kill non hybrids? Mix this in with the smoking man trying to undermine the aliens.... Later seasons say they want to make super humans.

I mean the plot I guess is the FBI met aliens and negotiated a deal, but the deal required human subjects (their kids). Mulder's dad regretted this, but CSM was okay... cause he is really Mulder's dad? They seem to want to collect aliens to test on to reverse engineer a cure to the alien's dna (which I think are in the bees/black goo?). Also the CSM uses Mulder's search for his sister as a tool to motivate Mulder.

Edit: While I think Season 4 and 5 have the most popular episodes, I really like 1 and 2 for how mundane they look.

Edit 2: Actually I really like X. His short story arc is my favorite. Dude wants to help but doesn't want to put his life on the line, then ultimately saves Mulder.

I bet you are close, but.... not that succinct. lol

I forgot about the aliens with the sealed eyes and mouth (though I can see the actor clearly, I think. He was in everything back then. He plays the second in command Vampire in Buffy Season 1), and the fact that there were rival alien factions. Which of course complicates the plot greatly, but is also cool.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Are you talking about the alien bounty hunter? He is in a lot of episodes but he is pro-alien and tends to try to kill any hybrids releasing the truth.

He is in a lot of weird sci-fi stuff. But the sewn up eye people are only in one season I think? They are pretty minor characters.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Are you talking about the alien bounty hunter?

He is in a lot of weird sci-fi stuff. But the sewn up eye people are only in one season I think? They are pretty minor characters.

Yes, lol, him. He's not one of the sewed up eye aliens?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

redshirt posted:

Yes, lol, him. He's not one of the sewed up eye aliens?

Actually looking up images of the "faceless" he does appear to be one. But that might be them re-using actors? Same with Krycheck being a rando in the earlier episodes.

For whatever reason imgur won't let me upload this link, so here is a terrible url:
https://x-files.fandom.com/wiki/Faceless_alien

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

They call it the
X Files because it makes you say
"Y am I watching this?" and then
"ZZZ"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Actually looking up images of the "faceless" he does appear to be one. But that might be them re-using actors? Same with Krycheck being a rando in the earlier episodes.

For whatever reason imgur won't let me upload this link, so here is a terrible url:
https://x-files.fandom.com/wiki/Faceless_alien

Wow, yay my memory!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

redshirt posted:

Wow, yay my memory!

I could be making stuff up, but I thought the bounty hunter was a shape-shifter and the eyeless guys were aliens of that phenotype or whatever? Honestly, the mytharc is confusing to me probably 50% because I filled in gaps and confused them for canon and 50% it's near indecipherable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I could be making stuff up, but I thought the bounty hunter was a shape-shifter and the eyeless guys were aliens of that phenotype or whatever? Honestly, the mytharc is confusing to me probably 50% because I filled in gaps and confused them for canon and 50% it's near indecipherable.

Let me have this Scully

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Was Millennium a spin-off? I'm too lazy to google but a quick guide would be good.
I was a massive fan of x-files for the first few seasons but lost interest when it veered away from the monster of the week episodes. I may still have one of the original x-files t-shirts somewhere around here...

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Doug Sisk posted:

Was Millennium a spin-off? I'm too lazy to google but a quick guide would be good.
I was a massive fan of x-files for the first few seasons but lost interest when it veered away from the monster of the week episodes. I may still have one of the original x-files t-shirts somewhere around here...

There was an X-files crossover episode that tied up millennium. But really, expecting continuity out of Chris Carter is a waste of time.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I could have sworn that there was a rumor that Fox had wanted the show "The Visitor" to have had a tie-in with X-files or Millennium at one point.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Keep in mind they never had a mythology plot planned. Gillian Anderson got pregnant and they need a reason to write her off for a few weeks in Season 2 so they came up up with the abduction story line and the fans ate it up.

There is no real established story for the aliens. Not because it's an artistic decision, like the Sopranos ending where fans debate for years, but just lovely writing.

The gist of what I can recall after 2 beers:

Aliens landed in Roswell. Shadow agencies formed, soon an agreement between world leaders. Aliens were coming to take over Earth but I don't recall the reason. A virus would be used (this would be where the bees come in) to kill the human race. Hybrids/Clones would survive so the black ops folks (CSM, Bill Mulder, Deep Throat) are told their children would be safe if they were cloned. This is why Samantha is taken (Oh Hoollllllly poo poo let's not talk about that right now)

There are sympathetic aliens, like the Jeremiah Smiths and Older-Samantha's. Or are they hybirds. No...clones. Clones that can be killed only with the ice pick weapon. Their blood is also toxic to humans.

The Black Oil is another alien race, or a faction of the ones we already know. The oil is how they infect and travel from host to host. The Fight The Future movie shows that the oil has been on Earth for a loooooong time.

The ones with their eyes and mouth sealed are clones or aliens that are rebels...I think? The reason their faces are like that is so the Black Oil doesn't infect them.

TL:DR Chris Carter can't write

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Spazzle posted:

There was an X-files crossover episode that tied up millennium. But really, expecting continuity out of Chris Carter is a waste of time.

There was also a Jose Chung episode of Millennium but I haven't seen that show since it originally aired so I couldn't tell you what it was about.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could have sworn that there was a rumor that Fox had wanted the show "The Visitor" to have had a tie-in with X-files or Millennium at one point.

Probably! COPS kind of got a tie-in (and it was great!), Greener Grass had one planned and there was the Simpsons thing, not to mention a Not-Homer cameo in a later episode. That Munch cop from a bunch of shows cameos too.

The saddest X-Files never-was is that Nigel Kneale (Quatermass, The Stone Tape) was approached to write an episode and its sad he refused with being such a key figure in the horror but actually it's proccedural sci-fi thing.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 28, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bonzo posted:

Aliens landed in Roswell.
I liked Dark Skies' take on Roswell:

Alien: We're going to take over your planet. Surrender now,
Harry S Truman: Nuh-uh. [Departing UFO gets blasted to pieces by anti-aircraft cannons]

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

redshirt posted:

As said, since it was being made up as they went along, and by fallible people (that's the nice way of putting it), it really can't be done.

The best you could do is basically go "There are aliens, they want to take over our world, but they want as little trouble as possible, so they came into contact with humans, and then the human side and the alien side, each with a bunch of factions who all wanted certain specifics in the taking over to happen or not happen, all began crashing into each other with Mulder and Scully stuck in the middle and sometimes able to pull threads because of it, and hence both sides also tried taking countermeasures against the two, which added even more complications. Then they ended the series without a full set of firm, clear answers, but they decided to pull out the old Mayan 2012 thing and say 'That's when the aliens will be making their full invasion' what with the series ending in 2002, and then in the second part of the 2010's they decided to bring the X-Files back, which meant they had to explain why the Earth wasn't now an alien colony, so they basically went 'The aliens decided we were too much trouble and colonizing Earth would be like those people who built factories in deep jungles that failed and basically got eaten by the jungle" so they never invaded but like the Middle East after World War I there was still a bunch of knock on effects and fallout that had to be dealt with and I guess it got sort of cleaned up but not wholly because you never know if they'll want to do another restart."

All around this are the 'better' one off stories about how strange the world is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

As said, since it was being made up as they went along, and by fallible people (that's the nice way of putting it), it really can't be done.

The best you could do is basically go "There are aliens, they want to take over our world, but they want as little trouble as possible, so they came into contact with humans, and then the human side and the alien side, each with a bunch of factions who all wanted certain specifics in the taking over to happen or not happen, all began crashing into each other with Mulder and Scully stuck in the middle and sometimes able to pull threads because of it, and hence both sides also tried taking countermeasures against the two, which added even more complications. Then they ended the series without a full set of firm, clear answers, but they decided to pull out the old Mayan 2012 thing and say 'That's when the aliens will be making their full invasion' what with the series ending in 2002, and then in the second part of the 2010's they decided to bring the X-Files back, which meant they had to explain why the Earth wasn't now an alien colony, so they basically went 'The aliens decided we were too much trouble and colonizing Earth would be like those people who built factories in deep jungles that failed and basically got eaten by the jungle" so they never invaded but like the Middle East after World War I there was still a bunch of knock on effects and fallout that had to be dealt with and I guess it got sort of cleaned up but not wholly because you never know if they'll want to do another restart."

All around this are the 'better' one off stories about how strange the world is.

Hmm, the editor in me could punch this up a bit, but still, pretty solid. TU!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

redshirt posted:

Am I close?

Mulder's sister was kidnapped by shadowy government agents on behalf of aliens to be a human lab rat but that sucked for her so she was kidnapped from them by angels at the behest of the christian God. Straight into heaven.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The funny thing is that during the original run, all I cared about was the Mytharc. I feel like every trailer for the next episode always had a cut of someone mysterious who might have been CSM.

How young and naive I was

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

stereobreadsticks posted:

There was also a Jose Chung episode of Millennium but I haven't seen that show since it originally aired so I couldn't tell you what it was about.

There is. And it is glorious. It takes the piss out of scientologists and Jose Chung is murdered in the end. Patrick Fabian is in it too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

The funny thing is that during the original run, all I cared about was the Mytharc. I feel like every trailer for the next episode always had a cut of someone mysterious who might have been CSM.

How young and naive I was

I was the same, and I think most people were. Heck, the Barenaked Ladies had a line in a song about it:

Chickity China, the Chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
Watching X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

How many people had, or knew someone that had a pet named Queequeg?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

poor Queequeg

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I kind of liked that the myth arc made no sense in the end. There were various aliens involved with various goals, and a bunch of humans, but they were lying to each other.

You know, like real people do. So nobody ever really knew quite what was going on.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FShqXAqGv4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol that was fun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I kind of liked that the myth arc made no sense in the end. There were various aliens involved with various goals, and a bunch of humans, but they were lying to each other.

You know, like real people do. So nobody ever really knew quite what was going on.

You put it that way, it does work. Just a bunch of cooks in the kitchen.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Gillian Anderson has done REALLY well with her career. I was kinda shocked she did new episodes because she didn't exactly need the work.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The reason the mythology arcs don't line up is that they are nearly all pulled from established ufology lore. In a way it's a monster of the week but more alien conspiracy of the week and since almost all the conspiracies involved the government somehow they tried to make some narrative.

I think Carter just really liked listening to Coast to Coast.

If the show was made now the myth arc would basically just be the narrative framing of theblackvault repository mixed in with the whole tic tac to Grush stuff in the news.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I found out my dad has been obsessed with rewatching x files. It made me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dixville posted:

I found out my dad has been obsessed with rewatching x files. It made me happy.

That's cool. Do you talk X-Files?