Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I ate a tadpole and now I look all hosed up but I can transform into a displacer beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cephas posted:

when you see an adventuring party roll into town, you swap all your price tags for movie theater prices. Yeah that rotten carrot is uh... fourteen bucks. Oh you want a stack of them? Sure thing boss.

What could a rotten banana cost, Michael, 10 gold pieces?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Thundarr posted:

On this run, I'm trying out Gale as Wizard 1 / Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorcerer 9. Currently at level 4 so he's at wiz 1 / cleric 2 / sorc 1, respecced to max out Charisma. Since sorc is the most recent class level, Charisma should be the main attribute for arcane spells regardless of what the tooltip numbers say, right? Or will I need to keep both Intelligence and Charisma maxed out to make sure spells from both classes actually hit things? I know cleric spells still go off Wisdom because I discovered I had a 0% chance to hit Anders with Bane while Gale has 10 Wis :v:

Spells will use whatever stat the class that you learned the spell through is based off of. So for the classic Wizard/Sorc build you either max out your INT if you want the wizard spells to be the damage dealing ones and then you just focus on utility/buff spells from Sorcerer, or vice versa.

e: you should make the third class in the build (sorc/cleric/wizard vs wizard/sorc/cleric) the one you have the relevant stat in, not because it makes ALL your spells have that casting modifier, but because it makes it your default casting modifier for stuff like using scrolls in combat

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 28, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The more I play the more I'm convinced that if you want to multiclass you really should hold off on doing it until after level 5.

Delaying feats/2nd attacks/third level spells just seems very much not worth it. It's fine after that because there's nothing that you "need" past level 3 slots but getting Spirit Guardians/Haste/Hadar/etc etc online asap just seems so much more useful than an early multiclass.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
respecs are also effectively free. just rob withers over and over he dgaf. there's no point suffering through a weak levels 1-7 if your build doesn't come online until level 8 or whatever. just spec into something that's good at your present level and switch it up as needed

edit: note that the only thing that is flakey here is oathbreaker paladin, once you break your oath you're not allowed to respec until you cough up 1000g and restore your oath, at which point you can't just take oathbreaker again. Since breaking your oath in the first place is not all that easy, you do actually want to plan out oathbreaker builds fairly carefully because respeccing is a pain

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would never do my boy Withers like that because 100 gold is chump change

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

respecs are also effectively free. just rob withers over and over he dgaf. there's no point suffering through a weak levels 1-7 if your build doesn't come online until level 8 or whatever. just spec into something that's good at your present level and switch it up as needed

Yeah that's one of my common strategies when playing Monk. Go dex based until I get the bracers and then respec to str based.

Doing a Sorlock atm and only took my first Lock level post 5. I originally was gonna do 1Sorc/2Lock/9Sorc but came to my senses after realizing that there really was no reason for me to rush eldritch blast that quickly and that getting level 3 spells quicker would be more to my benefit. Current plan now is 5/2/5 and I think it will work way better

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah money is not a problem in this game unless/until you're in Honour mode and then you want to be a little more deliberate with your purchases since some things are more expensive

but honestly it's still not that big of a deal. just respec, it's fun to gently caress around with different builds

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah that's one of my common strategies when playing Monk. Go dex based until I get the bracers and then respec to str based.

I'd do that but there's a bunch of other cool gloves monks could wear instead and I can cover strength with giant elixirs. That native strength score can stay in the gutter!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like that respeccing also seems to be somewhat plausible in universe. Epilogue spoilers: if you free Wyll from his pact and he goes to Avernus with Karlach, you can ask how he's coping without his warlock powers and he tells you that he's become a pretty good ranger. those who can't do ranger I guess

Are there other classes who benefit as much from having both high dex and strength or is that mostly a monk thing (obviously high dex can be good for anyone because of saving throws, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else more specific.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

I'd do that but there's a bunch of other cool gloves monks could wear instead and I can cover strength with giant elixirs. That native strength score can stay in the gutter!

True. You can also just wear armor as a Monk and there's not much downsides for doing so. You lose the wis bonus to AC if you do that but who cares you'll have higher ac with armor anyways.

Losing the movement is also not that big of a deal imo.

Professor Beetus posted:

Are there other classes who benefit as much from having both high dex and strength or is that mostly a monk thing (obviously high dex can be good for anyone because of saving throws, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else more specific.

Barbarian or anyone who wants to wear Medium Armor arguably. The reason for that is there are some medium armors that remove the dex cap so wearing like Yuan-Ti armor + Dex gloves can be kinda nice for Karlach or whoever

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

If you're trying to do like, a weapon master fighter or fighter/ranger who's equally good with both bows and melee I can see both STR and DEX being important

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If you want to use the Titanstring Bow (? not sure on the name), which adds your STR modifier to damage, well, that can be pretty strong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
lore-appropriate Halsin who is an agile elf but also a buff sexy bear of a man

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

lore-appropriate Halsin who is an agile elf but also a buff sexy bear of a man

The most upsetting thing is when you recruit Minsc and he has the default Ranger stats so has garbage strength.

I always immediately respec him and crank that up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He was a Ranger in BG2 because there were no Barbs in AD&D 2.5, so unsettling as it may seem it is canonically correct!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Quill is a pretty cute character, and a surprisingly good throat singer.

Sorry about, well, you know.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

He was a Ranger in BG2 because there were no Barbs in AD&D 2.5, so unsettling as it may seem it is canonically correct!

Not the class that bothers me it's the stats he comes with!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Maybe he's an imposter Minsc??

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Thundarr posted:

Quill is a pretty cute character, and a surprisingly good throat singer.

Sorry about, well, you know.

Yes, but she wears no pants. And no one says anything,

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i didnt want to kick the squirrel that hard

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i didnt want to kick the squirrel that hard

That squirrel was 100% the reason that tiefling got assassinated. The bugbear showed up on my map just as the squirrel bit me and she got stabbed as I was trying to get out of the convo

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I just had a fisherman get mad at me for disarming and stealing the spear of a sahuagin that was actively trying to kill said Fisherman.

Sorry I saved your life wrong, bro.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Trevor Hale posted:

That squirrel was 100% the reason that tiefling got assassinated. The bugbear showed up on my map just as the squirrel bit me and she got stabbed as I was trying to get out of the convo

Bugbear knows his poo poo. Strike when nearby potential aid is distracted.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Ginette Reno posted:

Not the class that bothers me it's the stats he comes with!

every character has ugly rear end stats and the first thing I do before taking them out of camp is to respec them.

as for your level 5 comment, I pretty much don't multiclass anybody (which gets multiclassed as early as level 2 for dialogue options) until level 8. there's some arguments for going marital class 5/fighter 2 for a power bump at level 7, but I'll just pay the lazy tax of not wanting to respec just an hour after respeccing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I could see an argument for an early multiclass at like level 6 to go 3 thief or assassin/3 gloom stalker if you're doing a stealth character

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Are there recommended stats for companions? I just respec people if I'm trying to change their classes or like with Shadowheart I change her to Light or Life Cleric usually though I might try the tempest one

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

Are there recommended stats for companions? I just respec people if I'm trying to change their classes or like with Shadowheart I change her to Light or Life Cleric usually though I might try the tempest one

In very general terms:

Max their primary attack/damage/casting stat.

14 Constitution, consider more but I generally wouldn't advise going much less.

If a medium armor wearer, you want 14 dexterity in most cases. If a heavy armor wearer, just go to ten (edit: or maybe not, see below). If a light armor or unarmored character, at least 14 but you might be able to squeeze out 16.

Really that's about it imo. You want your stats to end up as even numbers, and you can have two odd-valued at the start to even both of them with your level 4 feat. Maximize your main stat, at least 14 constitution, and enough dexterity to best make use of whichever armor type you'll be using.

It's fine to dump down to 8 in some of your stats.

edit: as an example, here's Shadowheart set up for medium armor:

I max her main casting stat (Wisdom) to 17 and take 15 constitution, those will go to 18 and 16 when she takes a stat boost feat at level 4. 14 dexterity is enough to maximize her use of medium armors, you could drop it to 10 if you wanted to put her in heavy. And then I have 4 free points I can distribute wherever. Strength is nice to carry stuff and jump, but it won't matter all that much imo.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 28, 2023

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

16 in their primary stat, 14/16 in DEX and CON. You can swap around DEX and CON depending on the character. Dump one stat they never use, usually STR or CHA depending on the character, keep the others at 10 for saving throws.

E: to add on the above, I would never dump DEX even on a heavy armour character. Initiative is just too important, it's on a D4 so a 16 DEX character will literally always win initiative over an 8 DEX character.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Dump int/wis/cha/str unless it's primary stat or you have a few leftover points (saving throws), make sure dex and con are nice round numbers, make sure dex lines up with armor (i.e. max +2 for medium unless you're doing something tricky).

Nearly everyone needs their dex rounded to 14, for example, unless they're laezel.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 28, 2023

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I max her main casting stat (Wisdom) to 17 and take 15 constitution, those will go to 18 and 16 when she takes a stat boost feat at level 4. 14 dexterity is enough to maximize her use of medium armors, you could drop it to 10 if you wanted to put her in heavy. And then I have 4 free points I can distribute wherever. Strength is nice to carry stuff and jump, but it won't matter all that much imo.

Going 17/15 into ASI is basically always worse than going 16/16 into ASI. You're not getting any benefit from the 17 Wisdom over 16 Wisdom, and you're losing the benefits of 16 constitution in the levels before you get ASI.

You only really want to go 17 in a stat if you are getting a half-feat or the hag's hair.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Going 17/15 into ASI is basically always worse than going 16/16 into ASI. You're not getting any benefit from the 17 Wisdom over 16 Wisdom, and you're losing the benefits of 16 constitution in the levels before you get ASI.

You only really want to go 17 in a stat if you are getting a half-feat or the hag's hair.

Going 17/15 into ASI at 4 means you hit level 4 and have a +4 and +3. Going in 16/16 means you hit level 4 and have a +3 and a +3. Also the benefit of having 16 con instead of 15 for the first three levels is an extra 3 HP, and your con saves are a little stronger.

Call me crazy but having the extra +1 in your main stat at level 4 seems more valuable (unless you're aiming for non-feat stat boosts on specific characters)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

every character has ugly rear end stats and the first thing I do before taking them out of camp is to respec them.

as for your level 5 comment, I pretty much don't multiclass anybody (which gets multiclassed as early as level 2 for dialogue options) until level 8. there's some arguments for going marital class 5/fighter 2 for a power bump at level 7, but I'll just pay the lazy tax of not wanting to respec just an hour after respeccing.

Yeah 8 is an obvious breakpoint to do it for sure. 5 is the absolute earliest I'd consider doing it, but I can see the logic in going all the way to 8.

Anything multiclassed earlier than that is just giving yourself a harder time in the early game for minimal benefits

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thundarr posted:

On this run, I'm trying out Gale as Wizard 1 / Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorcerer 9. Currently at level 4 so he's at wiz 1 / cleric 2 / sorc 1, respecced to max out Charisma. Since sorc is the most recent class level, Charisma should be the main attribute for arcane spells regardless of what the tooltip numbers say, right? Or will I need to keep both Intelligence and Charisma maxed out to make sure spells from both classes actually hit things? I know cleric spells still go off Wisdom because I discovered I had a 0% chance to hit Anders with Bane while Gale has 10 Wis :v:

Also, while he can use spell slots for spells from any of the three classes, he can only freely cast the ones learned from sorc levels, right? In order to cast any of the wizard spells scribed from scrolls, they have to be set into one of the two whole wizard spell slots he gets? So at a hypothetical max level he can use sorcerer metamagic on anything, but he can only have, say, Art of War and Chain Lightning set as sixth level spells (9 sorc levels will max out with one fifth level spell, so any sixth level spells would have to be scribed and set into wizard slots). Seems a bit limiting, but probably a fair trade-off for being able to chaos dunk people with Zeus' own lightning spells.

Your wizard spells will cast as int and your sorc spells will cast as Cha so you should max Cha and maintain 17 int. The lower int isn’t a big deal cause you get so many +DC/attack items. I dump Con down to 10 since there are so many ways to give extra HP in the game but if you don’t want to do that early on use the headband and respec when you hit act 3.

Oh and don’t forget about the necklace in the basement of stormshore tabernacle - gives you +2 to spell DC and an extra use of channel divinity.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Or if it’s CHA, because you can get +3 Cha from the mirror of loss if you’re willing to save scum.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Going 17/15 into ASI at 4 means you hit level 4 and have a +4 and +3. Going in 16/16 means you hit level 4 and have a +3 and a +3. Also the benefit of having 16 con instead of 15 for the first three levels is an extra 3 HP, and your con saves are a little stronger.

No it doesn’t. You get +3 when your stat is 16 and +4 when your stat hits 18; and +5 at 20. If you take an ASI in your main stat at lvl 4 you’re still going to have +4 regardless of whether you started at 16 or 17.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good god it drives me crazy that (moonrise tower spoilers)you can find this mountain of evidence that Gortash is allied with Ketheric Thorm and they are engaged in a conspiracy to take control of Baldur's Gate. And you can't loving tell anyone about this.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

No it doesn’t. You get +3 when your stat is 16 and +4 when your stat hits 18; and +5 at 20. If you take an ASI in your main stat at lvl 4 you’re still going to have +4 regardless of whether you started at 16 or 17.

I guess I forgot that you can also give one stat +2 instead of going +1/+1.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Professor Beetus posted:

Good god it drives me crazy that (moonrise tower spoilers)you can find this mountain of evidence that Gortash is allied with Ketheric Thorm and they are engaged in a conspiracy to take control of Baldur's Gate. And you can't loving tell anyone about this.

Absolutely same, I'm stubbornly hauling around a small library of concrete evidence just to spite the game for not letting me make use of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The Berzerker posted:

17 main stat 16 dex 14 con, swap dex and con if they're melee. if they're dex and not a monk, then feel free to invest it in some rp poo poo or str for carrying and athletics.