Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SerthVarnee posted:

"TOOTHPASTE FOLLOWED BY A TOOTHBRUSH AND POSSIBLY A TOOTHPASTE CONTAINER"

Possibly?

someone heard of the making GBS threads euphemism "squeezing it out like a toothpaste tube" and got inspired

Platystemon posted:

The antiviral treatment Paxlovid is going to cost fourteen hundred dollars come January.

Insurance doesn’t have to cover it. If you’re uninsured, in theory there are programs to help, but it’s worse even than bridge to access.

oh yeah, well aware of paxlovid. it's just insane that even the cost to prevent needing that is so much, and so lovely. every health exec deserves :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If I had a dollar for every time…

quote:

SWALLOWED A MAGNET AT SCHOOL THEN WAS STUNG BY A WASP ON HIS FOOT

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MrMojok posted:

If I had a dollar for every time…

Some kid and the Terrible, Horrible, No good, very bad day

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Looks like someone swatted MTG today:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/police-confirm-christmas-swatting-incident-marjorie-taylor-greenes-hou-rcna131131

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Really stretching the definition there.

quote:

Police then contacted Greene's local security liaison to inform the congresswoman's team about the call. Her security team decided officers didn't need to respond to her home, according to Bailey, and a police response was canceled.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh cool so they can show restraint

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

e: nevermind i'm wrong.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 26, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

She wasn't swatted. Swatting is when an actual SWAT team shows up and busts down your door. The cops probably got called because of a domestic issue or something overheard by neighbors.

A better headline would be "Congresswoman Greene has had the cops called on her again, but because her security team said there was no problem the cops didn't investigate further."

look I don't gotta hand it to her but your speculation is just wrong in every way

quote:

Major Rodney Bailey of the police department in Rome, Georgia, said that a person based in Rome, New York, made a call to the suicide hotline claiming that he had shot his girlfriend at Greene’s address in Georgia and threatened to kill himself next.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

look I don't gotta hand it to her but your speculation is just wrong in every way

Well, poo poo, I'm a jackass. Didn't realize the police released a statement about it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
All I want for Xmas is a Congress that will give everyone health care and courts that actually bring down consequences on Trump so he can't run for president again. Wow, should have asked for Turbo Man, would have a better chance of getting it

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, poo poo, I'm a jackass. Didn't realize the police released a statement about it.

To be fair, when (and still) I posted, I was very deep into the "holiday celebrations" and likely should have posted to the drunk thread.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

All I want for Xmas is a Congress that will give everyone health care and courts that actually bring down consequences on Trump so he can't run for president again. Wow, should have asked for Turbo Man, would have a better chance of getting it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

Wouldn't that amount cover like 5 months of insurance?

What insurance do you have that's so cheap and can you please share it with the rest of us?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

M_Gargantua posted:

What insurance do you have that's so cheap and can you please share it with the rest of us?

the only thing that remotely adds up is that trump was talking about life insurance for babies

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

grow-up plan is such a weird thing to call childrens' life insurance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wouldn't that amount cover like 5 months of insurance?

M_Gargantua posted:

Ironically because I think that he dropped a zero, but unironically if it’s real, we need to know about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/hellosami/status/1738960407014891821

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The echoes of 9/11 continue to shape the city's mayor even decades later

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Hes trying trying to land the plane in Jonestown.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

You're not supposed to want to be Denzel's coked up character in Flight.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Tricare Prime is pretty drat cheap. I wanna say I pay less than about $50 to insure my family.

You definitely get what you pay for if you use it to see Military doctors, however.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Daihatsu looked at Dieselgate and said hold my beer

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyotas-daihatsu-will-expand-production-halt-over-safety-scandal-nikkei-2023-12-20/

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67822887

Tldr: Daihatsu (which is owned by Toyota) had been falsifying side-impact crash tests by testing the cars with parts that they then removed before selling them. Most of the cars found to be hosed with go back to 2014 but cars as old as from 1989 are involved. The cars involved are badged as Daihatsu, Toyotas and some Mazdas but Daihatsu only makes small kei cars so I don't think any of them would have been sold in the US

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I knew kei trucks were safety nightmares but that’s really something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

grow-up plan is such a weird thing to call childrens' life insurance

It’s whole life insurance so there is some logic to it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Remember this post?

How is it meaningless? It seems like it should have been done 10 years ago when D.C. legalized weed in the first place, but we had to wait for Biden to get a president who gave a poo poo.

Its exhausting when people poo poo on good and bad things alike. Perhaps letting other people enjoy small victories would generally provide more respite overall. There are plenty of worthwhile things to complain about. The President expanding pardons to non-violent drug offenders really isn't one of them.

Edit: I would also point out that these sort of broad pardons are starting to form a pattern of sorts within the White House. With any hope we might see further commutations and pardons for individuals who have been abused by the criminal justice system.

the count is in:

Biden Pardons 11 People with Non-Violent Cannabis Convictions

quote:

On Dec. 22, President Joe Biden announced that he will be expanding his pardon initiative to include offenses that occurred on federal properties.

“America was founded on the principle of equal justice under law. Elected officials on both sides of the aisle, faith leaders, civil rights advocates, and law enforcement leaders agree that our criminal justice system can and should reflect this core value that makes our communities safer and stronger,” Biden said in his statement. “That is why today I am announcing additional steps I am taking to make the promise of equal justice a reality.”

This includes two actions: First, that Biden will commute the sentences of 11 people serving time for non-violent drug offenses. Second, Biden issued a proclamation that will pardon simple possession and cannabis consumption under federal and D.C. law. “Criminal records for marijuana use and possession have imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities,” his statement continued. “Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana. It’s time that we right these wrongs.”

More than you can count on two hands, at least!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s whole life insurance so there is some logic to it.

It’s exploitative any way you look at it. What does a baby need life insurance for other than possibly burial costs?

I wonder if New York would elect more normal mayors if they weren’t allowed to run for president after. Could NY state pass a law making former city mayors ineligible for presidential primary ballots to keep the ambitious weirdos away, or would the SC strike that down?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It’s exploitative any way you look at it. What does a baby need life insurance for other than possibly burial costs?

It’s whole life… the kid gets the cash value of the plan at age 21

It’s a bad deal and a thing that was much more common 100 years ago but thats why they always marketed to grand parents.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

remember, its been around since that was sounded like a good idea, since they were founded not too long after we finally got infant mortality below like 50%

babies actually surviving is a fairly new thing, pre-ww2 they often didn't.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Zamujasa posted:

Remember this post?

the count is in:

Biden Pardons 11 People with Non-Violent Cannabis Convictions

More than you can count on two hands, at least!

And the person you quoted is right. It is exhausting when people poo poo on any progress. He has no say over state level offenses, and I suspect UCMJ pardons, if they come, won't be until after it's been descheduled and a thorough study on long term effects has been done.

I thought we covered this already.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Raerlynn posted:

And the person you quoted is right. It is exhausting when people poo poo on any progress. He has no say over state level offenses, and I suspect UCMJ pardons, if they come, won't be until after it's been descheduled and a thorough study on long term effects has been done.

I thought we covered this already.

11 people. We have also heard defence of this amount of progress before. But that was ww1 and measured in yards of no man's land.

How can you take offence with people getting pissed when presented with such great victories

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

New Yorkers should rush the cockpit before he can crash it where he wants

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j1O6YYzreg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yay more good boys

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Copy/pasting from a discord server I'm in. No I don't know if it is verified.

"Hey, if any of all y'all are in or near Colorado, SCANGA ground beef is being recalled, E. coli O103, it's a different variant from the usual which is E. coli O157."

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It was me I pooped in the scanga

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/x-twitter-charge-users-one-dollar-per-year-test-1235760066/amp/

Elon Musk’s X/Twitter to Charge $1 per Year for Users to Post on the Platform, Starting With Test in Two Countries

Lol

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/x-twitter-charge-users-one-dollar-per-year-test-1235760066/amp/

Elon Musk’s X/Twitter to Charge $1 per Year for Users to Post on the Platform, Starting With Test in Two Countries

Lol

Is he trying to make Twitter more like SA? God help us.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
What is even the point of that? Other than the inevitable price increase for the same service? At this point I really wouldn't trust twitter with my CC info.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Bird Ap is overpriced at Free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazon is going to start running commercials on Prime Video.

More liek “Orinoco Subprime”, amirite?