Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Fun fact: Sam Howell’s 2023 season would almost certainly set a Chicago Bears franchise record by yardage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Fun fact: Sam Howell’s 2023 season would almost certainly set a Chicago Bears franchise record by yardage

No. He's a couple hundred yards short. The Bears have someone at 3838.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

No. He's a couple hundred yards short. The Bears have someone at 3838.

Erik Kramer had 3838 in 1995
Jay Cutler had 3812 in 2014, 3666 in '09 and 3659 in '15

At 3624 this year Sam Howell would be good for fifth place all-time for the Bears, and by default their third-best QB

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mike N Eich posted:

Sam Howell has been sacked 60 times this season? Thats legitimately impressive

I remember when poor hapless David Carr set an all time record for # of times being sacked with 76 back in 2002. If you try hard enough Sam, you can get there buddy!

pffftt.

Ameture hour In 1986, Randall Cunningham

https://www.sbnation.com/secret-base/22156273/nfl-philadelphia-eagles-1986-passing-sacks-randall-cunningham-ron-jaworski-dorktown

quote:

The 1986 Philadelphia Eagles are pretty well-known for having been by far the most sacked team ever. They allowed 6.5 per game when no one else since 1970’s AFL-NFL merger has even allowed five:

For the whole season, that amounted to over 100 sacks allowed. No other team has ever allowed 80. They’re a floating satellite, outcast from the rest of NFL civilization:

It’s almost overwhelming to get a handle on how ridiculous allowing at least nine sacks in four straight games is, but I’ll give it a shot. Since that 1970 merger:

There has never been another instance of a team getting sacked at least nine times in two straight games. They did it in four straight. In other words, the only two instances of a team getting sacked at least nine times in back-to-back games happened to be the same team doing so … back-to-back.

- No other team has ever been sacked as many as eight times in as many as three straight games.
- No one but the 2005 Texans (Week 2-4) has ever been sacked as many as seven times in as many as three straight games.
- No other team has ever been sacked as many as six times — let alone nine — in four straight games.
- In three of the four games, Cunningham was sacked at least 10 times; no other team has ever allowed double-digit sacks more than once in an entire season.

Christ, I dunno what's up with that website layout but, regardless, SAm Howell and David Carr aint got poo poo on my 86 Eagles. 104 sacks allowed

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/1986.htm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looking at the stats, RC got sacked on more than 25% of his dropbacks. That's :psyduck: to a crazy degree.

209 pas attempts, 72 sacks. Jesus.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Randall Cunningham was a goddamn wizard and if he hadn't blown out his ACL he would be in the Hall of Fame., but the mid-80s was a rough time to be an NFCEast QB. You had to face the Giants with Lawrence Taylor and Leonard Marshall, Washington with Dexter Manley and Charles Mann, St Louis had Freddie Joe Nunn. Dallas sucked but still had Jim Jeffcoat, Too Tall Jones and the corpse of Randy White.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Forrest on Fire posted:

Bad. Not atrocious but like he somehow hasn't ever played in an NFL offense.

He's still got the speed though. If Atlanta doesn't get Fields they should get him.

I kind of wonder if the market for Kyler would be dampened by the Watson and Wilson deals going south. I think Kyler is pretty good but if he doesn't show any flashes of that post-injury, how confident can you really be that he'll return to normal given enough time?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Waltzing Along posted:

Looking at the stats, RC got sacked on more than 25% of his dropbacks. That's :psyduck: to a crazy degree.

209 pas attempts, 72 sacks. Jesus.

that was Buddy Ryan at his Buddy Ryan-ist. He understood defense but not offense. Combine a bad offensive line with throwing bombs every other play, and Cunningham was lucky y be alive by the end of the season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Even wilder when you consider that Randall was the most elusive quarterback maybe ever up to that point. If you put a generic stiff of that era in that situation he gets sacked on 50% of dropbacks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Makes me wonder if some of those sacks were just designed runs and the official statisticians were just like "QB tackled behind LoS must be a sack"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I kind of wonder if the market for Kyler would be dampened by the Watson and Wilson deals going south. I think Kyler is pretty good but if he doesn't show any flashes of that post-injury, how confident can you really be that he'll return to normal given enough time?

Its gotta be the right landing spot but there's no way a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans or something wouldn't be interested.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

a raven should get mvp, either Lamar or Flacco

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

If you are Pittsburgh or Atlanta, do you prefer:
  • Murray for two seconds, or
  • Fields for a second, a third, and a fourth?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am not sure what either of those QBs are worth given the context of the Darnold to Panthers trade.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It's tempting to say Fields as he's cheap and basically no strings attached, but I'd still say Kyler who I think is much more likely to be, ya know, good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am not sure what either of those QBs are worth given the context of the Darnold to Panthers trade.
It’s an interesting question because their value will drop when their teams draft another guy. I think Kyler goes for less because he is past his rookie contract.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fields isn't worth more than a 2nd, Kyler wouldn't go anywhere for less than a first I wouldn't think, given what it takes to get a starter, there's no way they cut bait for a 2nd or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

predicto posted:

Randall Cunningham was a goddamn wizard and if he hadn't blown out his ACL he would be in the Hall of Fame., but the mid-80s was a rough time to be an NFCEast QB. You had to face the Giants with Lawrence Taylor and Leonard Marshall, Washington with Dexter Manley and Charles Mann, St Louis had Freddie Joe Nunn. Dallas sucked but still had Jim Jeffcoat, Too Tall Jones and the corpse of Randy White.

predicto posted:

that was Buddy Ryan at his Buddy Ryan-ist. He understood defense but not offense. Combine a bad offensive line with throwing bombs every other play, and Cunningham was lucky y be alive by the end of the season.

I was gonna say. I was just out of high school in 1986 and Buddy Ryan famously almost had NO offensive scheme whatsoever and didn't particularly seem to care. He built some insanely good defenses later on there but never ever had anything resembling an NFL offense.

IcePhoenix posted:

Makes me wonder if some of those sacks were just designed runs and the official statisticians were just like "QB tackled behind LoS must be a sack"

I can assure you they were not. There was basically no play design at all beyond "Randall, you run around and find someone open then chuck it to someone". Real backyard football poo poo. Strangely, there were very few designed run plays for Cunningham, even back then when RPO's and QB draws weren't nearly as common. They'd roll him out a lot because they loving had to behind that line but he wasn't used like Lamar, Allen or even Vick. Ryan, who never should have been a head coach, ruined his career IMO.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kyler is better than Fields right now
If Fields keeps playing he'll be better in 2-3 years

Source: the two teams I watch the most of are the Bears and Cardinals. I think Murray learns a lot less than Fields. I think Fields holds onto plays way longer than Kyler.

I'd rather have Kyler if I'm the Steelers and I'd rather have Fields if I'm the Falcons

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Forrest on Fire posted:

Source: the two teams I watch the most of are the Bears and Cardinals.

What the gently caress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

I'm so sorry

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

That’s got to be a clockwork orange type situation right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Arizona is full of people from Chicago. Kinda like Florida and New York.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

and i thought i was insane for watching only the bears and northwestern wildcats

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Forrest on Fire posted:

https://www.betterhelp.com/

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's ok everybody, I did it to myself. I hate the forward pass.

E: I even did the order wrong I'm IL-based and support the Cardinals.

Forrest on Fire fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 28, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

and i thought i was insane for watching only the bears and northwestern wildcats

Nah, watching the Cardinals is far more sane than forcing yourself to watch big ten west ball.

anyone who subjects themselves to Northwestern Iowa should be committed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

It's ok everybody, I did it to myself. I hate the forward pass.

E: I even did the order wrong I'm IL-based and support the Cardinals.

You're just being a state loyalist. They are Chicago's original football team after all.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s got to be a clockwork orange type situation right?

Darker

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Chicago took the poor Staleys away from Decatur and God laid a curse against their Quarterbacks for all of time. Da Bears.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

pasaluki posted:

Chicago took the poor Staleys away from Decatur and God laid a curse against their Quarterbacks for all of time. Da Bears.

Look at this accurate take. The NFL should let the Bears leave for Arlington, then expand the NFL to Decatur and Iowa. Bring football back to the dark ages.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

Nah, watching the Cardinals is far more sane than forcing yourself to watch big ten west ball.

anyone who subjects themselves to Northwestern Iowa should be committed.

no i'm normal

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

no i'm normal

The second best QB you've ever rooted for is Trevor Simien. The second best QB I've ever rooted for is Carson Palmer. We are not the same.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
True story the Bears played all of their home games in Champaign, Illinois in 2002.

The Chicago based Bears fans traveled in droves to attend the games, and the vast majority were great.

There were a few though who would just bitch about everything from the hot dogs not having right kind of mustard or not being done in the proper Chicago way, to the bathrooms not being where they wanted.

They thought the whole area stunk... like literally smelled bad, which that one is probably true because there is a Kraft cheese factory that spends all day spewing noxious fumes.

But certain fans would not stop bitching about it to the point where someone finally said
"I found where the source of that stench is" and pointed towards the Bears sideline.

The Chicago Bears finished the season 4-12.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

The second best QB you've ever rooted for is Trevor Simien. The second best QB I've ever rooted for is Carson Palmer. We are not the same.

this guy is disparaging the legacy of zack kustok, brett basanez, and dan persa in this thread

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

this guy is disparaging the legacy of zack kustok, brett basanez, and dan persa in this thread

Those all sound like Chicago area car dealers, and I'm right to disparage them.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

pasaluki posted:

True story the Bears played all of their home games in Champaign, Illinois in 2002.

The Chicago based Bears fans traveled in droves to attend the games, and the vast majority were great.

There were a few though who would just bitch about everything from the hot dogs not having right kind of mustard or not being done in the proper Chicago way, to the bathrooms not being where they wanted.

They thought the whole area stunk... like literally smelled bad, which that one is probably true because there is a Kraft cheese factory that spends all day spewing noxious fumes.

But certain fans would not stop bitching about it to the point where someone finally said
"I found where the source of that stench is" and pointed towards the Bears sideline.

The Chicago Bears finished the season 4-12.

The Kraft factory and the stadium are nowhere near each other! Blommers is far closer to Soldier Field.

My friend quick working at said factory because the higher ups wanted to install a new process of putting nitrogen at the bottom of cans for food stabilization. They were switching to a drop of liquid, and he kept asking 'how are you going to make sure the drop is identical sized each time? How are you going to make sure the cap goes on fast enough? How are you ensuring the bottle doesn't explode from the liquid nitrogen warming up and converting to gas?"
After they reassured him over and over, in writing, that nothing would go wrong, the first test run had every bottle blow up and injured some dude's eyes with shrapnel.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

The Kraft factory and the stadium are nowhere near each other! Blommers is far closer to Soldier Field.

Did you confirm that the putrid smell was actually coming from the Bears?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

Those all sound like Chicago area car dealers, and I'm right to disparage them.

meet me in temecula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

pasaluki posted:

Did you confirm that the putrid smell was actually coming from the Bears?

100%. They stunk. I got season tickets for $200 for 10 games as a student and sat in the end zone.

Highlights I remember:
Favre throwing it like 80 yards in the air to our end zone on MNF , utlacher standing in no man's land instead of hitting favre
kGB picking off a screen and scoring at the other end right when bears were about to score
Tom Brady QB sneak for 2 yards on 4tj down with no measurement, leading me to think it was a ref conspiracy on ball placement due to an overturned lineman INT. Just this year I finally watched the game and realized I was wrong
Tom Brady to Patten with no time left, over utlacher I think
I believe there was a randy moss TD over utlacher as well

I don't think there was an offensive highlight the entire year