Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
garlic naan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Onion sourdough rye PB&j kaiser roll is good poo poo

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

i say swears online posted:

got an invite to a NYE party where the host will be making nachos, and the rest of us will potluck out the rest. on the sign-up list are tortilla chips, guacamole, beans, pico de gallo, queso, cheese and sour cream. i asked him what he's actually making and he's putting a couple chicken breasts into a crock pot with a jar of salsa. group chat is losing our minds. i volunteered to make brisket as long as someone brings a brisket and someone else brings a smoker

Hosted by... Tom Sawyer???

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Quiche is in the oven. Had some leftover grated cheddar as well as pecorino so I threw both in there with the Swiss to take it to the next level with the bacon and green onion. Hope it's good!

Eat This Glob posted:

oh boy, goons outside GWS get to learn about the culinary wonder that is Salsa Chicken

This better not be another "chickencheese" :rolleyes:

Also... username/post combo :dukedog:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

got an invite to a NYE party where the host will be making nachos, and the rest of us will potluck out the rest. on the sign-up list are tortilla chips, guacamole, beans, pico de gallo, queso, cheese and sour cream. i asked him what he's actually making and he's putting a couple chicken breasts into a crock pot with a jar of salsa. group chat is losing our minds. i volunteered to make brisket as long as someone brings a brisket and someone else brings a smoker

hit da bricks

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yes, please come to my party to eat my poorly cooked, woody chicken meat. You'll probably also get COVID!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

Hosted by... Tom Sawyer???

lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Voice of Labor posted:

that really sour ethiopian sourdough flat bread?

Can't speak to the others but I absolutely devour a strong sourdough PB&J, if you have a sweet jam it's a good contrast, and if you go with a truly sour citrus spread it's complementary on levels you don't even know until you've tried it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I am gonna try making refried beans at some point. Do I have to make them in a pan or can I get away with frying them in a pot?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I am gonna try making refried beans at some point. Do I have to make them in a pan or can I get away with frying them in a pot?

it probably depends on what you are mashing the beans with. potato masher on the bottom with a pan vs spoon on the side with a pot. or stick blender you probably want a pot too.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

what's the best bread for peanut butter and jelly?

Warm, toasted english muffin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the perfect English muffin is easily the best bread in general

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the perfect English muffin is easily the best bread in general

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I had leftover ham from Christmas and I looked up "leftover ham soup recipe" which landed me here:

https://cafedelites.com/ham-potato-soup/

I skipped the three cups of milk at the end because it seemed like a complete soup without it.

i also made a pan of rolls because I'm determined to make ones that keep a ball shape instead of coming out all flat and sad.

apparently my technique is lacking and I need to make each roll into a lil boule instead of rolling it in my hands like an idiot making cookies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what's the best bread for peanut butter and jelly?

panetone

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

looks like a great casserole

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Chicago style is one of the best styles overall along with NY and Detroit. Worst are St. Louis, Altoona, and Ohio Valley

For PB&J I usually do white because that's what I have more often than not but I appreciate the nuanced flavor of a multigrain with peanut butter, and particularly with a seeded jam like raspberry

The pizza restaurant I went to as a kid had a peanut butter and jelly pizza on the menu for kids but I never ordered it. The regular pizza was incredible so I can't imagine it was that bad, but I don't think my parents would have let me in any case

Dokapon Findom has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Dec 28, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

apparently my technique is lacking and I need to make each roll into a lil boule instead of rolling it in my hands like an idiot making cookies.

making a 'ball' of dough isn't rolling it out, it's punching it in with your fingertips and folding it inward multiple times until (or just before) you see the outermost layer start to tear. it'll hold this position as a ball much better and with a brush of oil will stay close together on a baking tray so they're pullapartable after baking without ripping. just put lots of oil on the pan and on all the balls before they touch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah I think I was just treating it very hamfistedly and not appreciating/remembering how important baking structures are to the final product.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

just put lots of oil. . .on all the balls before they touch

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah I think I was just treating it very hamfistedly and not appreciating/remembering how important baking structures are to the final product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2Sf3XqkhQ&t=100s

timestamp'd

his technique is muuuuch softer than mine so there's definitely leeway, i tend to fold a lot inward instead of his teeny folds

do you want chafing or what

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I was thinking angel food cake. whole wheat's real good too. I haven't had a pb&j on whole wheat in forever

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

anyone got any good recipes that use udon, i picked up a bunch for no real reason at the asian market a town over and now i'm kinda clueless on what to do with it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

udon wanna use that imo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2Sf3XqkhQ&t=100s

timestamp'd

his technique is muuuuch softer than mine so there's definitely leeway, i tend to fold a lot inward instead of his teeny folds

yeah that's the stuff. I wasn't doing any of this stuff before. thanks for the link!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dokapon Findom posted:

Chicago style is one of the best styles overall along with NY and Detroit. Worst are St. Louis, Altoona, and Ohio Valley

For PB&J I usually do white because that's what I have more often than not but I appreciate the nuanced flavor of a multigrain with peanut butter, and particularly with a seeded jam like raspberry

The pizza restaurant I went to as a kid had a peanut butter and jelly pizza on the menu for kids but I never ordered it. The regular pizza was incredible so I can't imagine it was that bad, but I don't think my parents would have let me in any case

i had new haven (connecticut) style pizza last week for the first time and it was pretty good. i went to frank pepes and sally's and i preferred sally's. today im going to have a "hot oil" style pizza for lunch and ill report back. this has been eat this glob's glob eating report. thanks for reading

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Eat This Glob posted:

i had new haven (connecticut) style pizza last week for the first time and it was pretty good. i went to frank pepes and sally's and i preferred sally's. today im going to have a "hot oil" style pizza for lunch and ill report back. this has been eat this glob's glob eating report. thanks for reading

Randy's Wooster St pizza is the best because it doesn't have the history of Frank's or Sallys to live up to and pushes the boundaries. Randy Price was taught to make pies from Frank Pepe's son in law and started there so he knows what he is doing but also makes some wild stuff.

The peanut butter bacon and provolone one is amazing jfyi

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

oh dope, ill check that out. my buddy and i also hit up louis' lunch, which claims to be the home of the original "hamburger sandwich" and ive been thinkin about thos burgs ever since, so ill probably be in the neighborhood again soon

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

oh dope, ill check that out. my buddy and i also hit up louis' lunch, which claims to be the home of the original "hamburger sandwich" and ive been thinkin about thos burgs ever since, so ill probably be in the neighborhood again soon

louis lunch whips and i wanna figure out what's in that cheese product sauce they put on the burgers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a cheese sub on wheat with tomatos/lettuce and russian dressing

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
St Louis pizza whips the poo poo out of Chicago casserole or Michigan slop.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Provel is not cheese. It is an industrial byproduct of the poo poo industry

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Dokapon Findom posted:

It is an industrial byproduct of the poo poo industry

MLYP

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Much Like Your Pizza... :hehe:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

all pizzas are beautiful

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I recently realized that I need an actual baking tin for my rolls and using cast iron or Pyrex dishes is causing a subpar bake due to the thickness of the pan material.

so now I'm trying again with a round aluminum cake pan with 2" side walls.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I prototyped the 2nd best sandwich today for lunch. I'm going to finalize it for breakfast tomorrow. onion bagel, salami, dijon, mayo, and chopped olives and sun dried tomatoes

also beaver brand dijon is weird. it's kinda sweet, they put sugar in almost all their mustards, but it's also super spicy. it's the most dijon dijon I've found. it even beats out maille

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A lot of really spicy things benefit from having a little sugar in them, it makes the flavor more complicated and interesting.

onion bagel, salami, dijon, mayo, and chopped olives and sun dried tomatoes

That sounds really good, but are you 100% sure you don't want any onion in the actual filling?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

also beaver brand dijon is weird. it's kinda sweet, they put sugar in almost all their mustards, but it's also super spicy. it's the most dijon dijon I've found. it even beats out maille

Would you have any Grey Poupon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mllaneza posted:

A lot of really spicy things benefit from having a little sugar in them, it makes the flavor more complicated and interesting.

That sounds really good, but are you 100% sure you don't want any onion in the actual filling?

I don't find mustard to be one of those things. it needs to be salt mustard and vinegar.

a little red onion would be kinda nice but would probably be the tipping point for stomach upset. grilled onions I just don't think would fit. salami is too waxy, grilled onions need roast beef or pastrami or turkey, a more porous and fibrous cold cut

Dokapon Findom posted:

Would you have any Grey Poupon?

I actually don't. the trader joe's dijon has been my go to mustard for years because it's much cheaper than grey poupon and I like it a little bit more.