Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

pmchem posted:

they can do up to like 8-9/year right?

my tops from that list:

patrick willis
torry holt
jared allen
reggie wayne
antonio gates
julius peppers
devin hester

Only 5 modern guys can get in.

They got some hard choices to make because that ballot is loving stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't like Russ but man the Broncos doing that poo poo is terrible. Garbage organization.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

PUT DEVIN HESTER IN THE loving HALL OF FAME

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm fine with benching him or whatever to make sure he doesn't get hurt. But to try and pressure someone to waive their injury protection is just completely evil...

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Russ would probably look great with that 49er team

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Pulling the bandaid off with Russ' contract is probably the right thing to do, but trying to hold him ransom is messed up. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next season. No one will want to throw a real contract at him at this point, but there are enough teams that need a QB that I'm sure someone will offer a 1 year contract to prove himself. The question is if he is willing to compete to start and take a lot less money at this point.

Also, what players (or their reps) will be interested in signing with Denver now? Stupid loving move and they deserve what it will cost them.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 28, 2023

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

EmbryoSteve posted:

Patrick Willis is so overrated

You're overrated

Also that list is goddamn stacked.

Also yeah Hester deserves to be in HOF.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Only the Broncos could make the right decision months late (to the point when his current performance no longer looks dire enough to warrant it) and for the wrong reasons (telling him to waive something they recommended in the first place to save them partial money on a deal that financially looked entirely bad from the start, and he said "no")

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Benne posted:

yeah. only 5? man.

torry holt
jared allen
antonio gates
julius peppers

at least those four

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress it, niners legend russel wilson

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lifespan posted:

Pulling the bandaid off with Russ' contract is probably the right thing to do, but trying to hold him ransom is messed up. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next season. No one will want to throw a real contract at him at this point, but there are enough teams that need a QB that I'm sure someone will offer a 1 year contract to prove himself. The question is if he is willing to compete to start and take a lot less money at this point.

Russ has been fine this year. Especially considering that his Coach clearly didn't want him lol.

Some team will offer him a decent chunk of change. Nothing longer than 3 years at the absolute most but he will make some money

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seeing as Russ still has the RWBS in him, I see him still getting a chance with another team. I mean look at all these teams would had to use back ups.

Just hope I don't see his rear end playing against my team.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wilson on the commanders screams amazing drama so i’m hoping for that. also dc deserves someone so vanilla.

bears, don’t you dare!

sadly, my instinct tells me it’ll be tennessee or somewhere equally boring.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 28, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Instinct is "he's replacing Pickett in Pittsburgh" but idk

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

You ever wonder if there's an opposite to the Hall of Fame? Like a Hall of Obscurity? Players nobody ever remembers are enshrined there.

Actually what if there is one and we've just never heard of it?

A Place To Remember Some Guys

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Dexo posted:

Russ has been fine this year. Especially considering that his Coach clearly didn't want him lol.

Some team will offer him a decent chunk of change. Nothing longer than 3 years at the absolute most but he will make some money

He will find a job for sure, but I can't imagine anyone offering more than a year or two. While I don't think anyone is convinced he is just bad, he is an unknown quantity at the moment.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Instinct is "he's replacing Pickett in Pittsburgh" but idk
I keep having visions of him in a Washington Commanders uniform

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

*looks around Broncos Country*

"Are we the baddies?" :ohdear:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Benne posted:

it's only going to get worse. they're going to have to do something about the backlog eventually, because as it stands we're going to have legendary players getting skipped over.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

R.D. Mangles posted:

PUT DEVIN HESTER IN THE loving HALL OF FAME

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hester doesn't deserve HoF. It's not the hall of very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_4NUZ-_YU

Hester isn't even close to being the best returner of all time. If you put him in you have to put in Josh Cribbs and Cordarrelle Patterson and at that point the hall is meaningless.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Toaster Beef posted:

it's only going to get worse. they're going to have to do something about the backlog eventually, because as it stands we're going to have legendary players getting skipped over.

Wouldn't that solve itself? Modern guys age into legacy guys and get special consideration. Actually, is that how it works? I don't really know.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Silly Burrito posted:

https://x.com/TheAthletic/status/1740187726799048982?s=20

The Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists for the Class of 2024 have been announced:

◽️ Reggie Wayne
◽️ Torry Holt
◽️ Julius Peppers
◽️ Antonio Gates
◽️ Patrick Willis
◽️ Devin Hester
◽️ Rodney Harrison
◽️ Dwight Freeney
◽️ Jared Allen
◽️ Andre Johnson
◽️ Jahri Evans
◽️ Willie Anderson
◽️ Eric Allen
◽️ Darren Woodson
◽️ Fred Taylor

Patrick Willis should get in. Antonio Gates too.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
McDaniel & Co should have put 77 on the board

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The Seahawks have the opportunity to do something amazing here.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

razorscooter posted:

gently caress it, niners backup qb russel wilson

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mcqueen posted:

The Seahawks have the opportunity to do something amazing here.

Them or the Raiders would be great. I mean, he's likely willing to play for the vet minimum he's still better than a decent number of qbs and doesn't really have any risk. RW isn't worth anything at his current price, but that doesn't mean he's not at any price.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fat Jesus posted:

Russ would probably look great with that 49er team

He is like the polar opposite of what Shanahan wants from a QB

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Wouldn't that solve itself? Modern guys age into legacy guys and get special consideration. Actually, is that how it works? I don't really know.

Making guys "wait their turn" is a pretty crappy way to run a Hall of Fame. Especially on a personal level, as they get older and their parents and other family are running out of time to see them get their Canton moment.

The 5-player limit just doesn't make sense in a sport where rosters are big and so many positions are important. Like, I think Jahri Evans is a very interesting candidate, but since he "only" played guard he'll never get a chance with the more flashy candidates on the ballot.

Also if you're making the modern guys age out, you're also crowding out the legacy guys so the whole thing turns into a vicious circle. Eric Allen deserves a better look, but he'll be an afterthought on this year's ballot.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 28, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doltos posted:

Hester doesn't deserve HoF. It's not the hall of very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_4NUZ-_YU

Hester isn't even close to being the best returner of all time. If you put him in you have to put in Josh Cribbs and Cordarrelle Patterson and at that point the hall is meaningless.

skip voice: sounds like coach prime needs to spend more time coaching colorado up and less time on commercials and hot takes

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Shinji2015 posted:

Julius Peppers better get in

There is no loving way that he doesn't skate in.

I wish I could say the same for Steve Smith :sigh:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Gates and Peppers are the only 100% locks

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

razorscooter posted:

gently caress it, niners legend russel wilson

I would absolutely adore Russ going to SF and winning a ring

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I think you’re right.

There’s such a logjam at WR…

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a neat cape posted:

an interesting piece of trivia for you: did you know that Antonio Gates did not even grow up playing football, but was actually a basketball player in college?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Deebo Samuel got got

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1740203581129806326?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Amazing to me that these kids were able to make Deebo think they were Cam just by texting him in that same loving obnoxious way that he types on social media

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

R.D. Mangles posted:

an interesting piece of trivia for you: did you know that Antonio Gates did not even grow up playing football, but was actually a basketball player in college?

What the gently caress

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would absolutely adore Russ going to SF and winning a ring

No way he'd win a ring. His legend would be one of infamy as his weirdo poo poo destroyed the team from within.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

3 DONG HORSE posted:

*looks around Broncos Country*

"Are we the baddies?" :ohdear:

always have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

What an interesting factoid. I never would have dreamed that a basketball player would even know what to do with a football. I mean, they don't even dribble in football.