Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

sad to report the new napoleon is angloid propaganda

:negative:

yeah it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Only thing I can come up with is that it makes it a lot harder for your opponent to do a counterforce strike against your nuclear arsenal. Of course that's what nuclear submarines are for, so you need those to be somehow under threat of getting neutralized too.

when were nuclear submarines invented the idea that we might have just never bothered inventing nuclear submarines because all the funding is going to the space race is a very potentially funny one its making me imagine a kelly comic where innocent hardworking naval engineers are staring despondently at the new budget as GREEDY ASTRONAUTS have hypnotized lawmakers into giving giant bags of money to nasa while a crying lady liberty looks on

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i should also note for historical realism purposes wanting to put nuclear missiles on the moon for no actual benefit except to antagonize the soviets is pretty on brand for cold war era thinking

im just grateful weve moved past that kind of petty foreign policy dickwaving now if youll excuse me im needed elsewhere in the forums to post in support of ukraines struggle against russia a cause that our country is supporting for entirely noble reasons

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

when were nuclear submarines invented the idea that we might have just never bothered inventing nuclear submarines because all the funding is going to the space race is a very potentially funny one its making me imagine a kelly comic where innocent hardworking naval engineers are staring despondently at the new budget as GREEDY ASTRONAUTS have hypnotized lawmakers into giving giant bags of money to nasa while a crying lady liberty looks on

The first ballistic missile submarine was the Soviet Zulu IV sub from 1955-1956, and the first American ballistic missile submarine was the USS George Washington from 1959

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

docbeard posted:

So is For All Mankind like an Expanse prequel or something?

(I know the broad series premise, just asking if it works out to being that}

you could read it as a prequel to pretty much anything tbh

as fun as it is to rag on for all mankind its got a pretty solid concept as contemporaneous alt history depicting all the intermediate steps that are necessary for any other interstellar scifi setting that most actual interstellar stories just skip over (even including the feature film interstellar amusingly enough)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the concept was great and i loved the pilot, which is rare. it's just that season 2 was lovely so i don't want to watch it anymore

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
For All Mankind is still my favorite show still active, but yeah the quality drops off after Season 2.

Season 4 must have had its budget slashed because gone are the days of most of the episodes happening in space suits and we just bop from Mars set to Earth set with maybe one scene in actual space, exterior shots.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skooma512 posted:

For All Mankind is still my favorite show still active, but yeah the quality drops off after Season 2.

Season 4 must have had its budget slashed because gone are the days of most of the episodes happening in space suits and we just bop from Mars set to Earth set with maybe one scene in actual space, exterior shots.

yeah the budget in s1 really was legit impressive

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

i should also note for historical realism purposes wanting to put nuclear missiles on the moon for no actual benefit except to antagonize the soviets is pretty on brand for cold war era thinking

Agreed, I'm just glad at least one character in the show acknowledged it was stupid as hell.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

has riddley scott lost his mojo

last duel was so good, moty

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

really does seem like a mood split between the two movies

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

docbeard posted:

It was originally the 1990s but time travelers keep loving up the timeline and pushing it back.

Also Carol Kane is an immortal alien (and in the show)

love engineer carol kane

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

the concept was great and i loved the pilot, which is rare. it's just that season 2 was lovely so i don't want to watch it anymore

yeah i know, there just wasn't enough danny in season 2 or 3

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

napoleon movies seem pointless since Waterloo exists

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, I guess. It's just a weird oversight for a show that understands that space travel takes a long time.

I think at one point they mentioned that they could launch missiles from space without any warning or detection possibilities but that seems silly as well. Both of these space agencies are extremely well funded and are constantly spying on each other.

The real answer is that you nuke the moon so hard it either fractures or alters the trajectory so that it slams into the earth, destroying the planet. You are a supervillain from the 60s

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

The real answer is that you nuke the moon so hard it either fractures or alters the trajectory so that it slams into the earth, destroying the planet. You are a supervillain from the 60s

Now that would be a sick twist. Margo stumbles upon secret plans for Operation Kill All Commies Moonfall, America's dastardly plan to crash the moon into Russia.

Honestly the funniest thing about the show is that Russia is always hyped up as this big bad guy but doesn't actually seem to be doing anything evil (ok I guess shooting down a commercial airliner was bad) it's almost always the Americans jumping to conclusions, like with the translation card.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Now that would be a sick twist. Margo stumbles upon secret plans for Operation Kill All Commies Moonfall, America's dastardly plan to crash the moon into Russia.

Honestly the funniest thing about the show is that Russia is always hyped up as this big bad guy but doesn't actually seem to be doing anything evil (ok I guess shooting down a commercial airliner was bad) it's almost always the Americans jumping to conclusions, like with the translation card.

the later seasons get worse with this to the point it starts to feel like self parody the kgb is basically just running around shooting and torturing people at random as if the showrunners are worried we might start thinking communism isnt so bad if theyre not constantly doing explicitly bad stuff on screen

this might at least partially be a psychological necessity because the later seasons also deal with all the economic bad stuff of the nineties still happening and all the economic bad stuff of the twenties happening twenty years earlier the former in spite of and the latter because of all the accelerated space tech and if a significant chunk of the thesis in your alt history cold war setting is "capitalism bad" the question is naturally begged "so communism...good???"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

yeah i know, there just wasn't enough danny in season 2 or 3

whenever dannys not on screen all the other characters should be asking wheres danny

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Noped outta Rebel Moon when the first fight scene had no blood or broken bones.

Also gave Foundation season 2 a try and that at least knew to start with a nude Lee Pace fuckin people up. Give the people what they want!

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Xaris posted:

Ridley Scott is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

He'll put out some dogshit like The Counselor and Exodus: Gods and Kings and then turn around make some bangers like The Martian and The Last Duel. I really hope the right Ridley Scott shows up for Gladiator 2 next year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gresh posted:

Ridley Scott is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

He'll put out some dogshit like The Counselor and Exodus: Gods and Kings and then turn around make some bangers like The Martian and The Last Duel. I really hope the right Ridley Scott shows up for Gladiator 2 next year.

I heard The Counselor was going through a reappraisal period, have you seen it since it came out?

I've never seen it, but I heard Cormac McCarthy worked on the script for it as well so it's always been on my radar despite its reputation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Durf posted:

Noped outta Rebel Moon when the first fight scene had no blood or broken bones.
it's so disconcerting lol, like they wanted the people to seem like humunculi

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
contemporary action movies have always been bloodless so they can be rated PG and have as many eyeballs on it as possible

capeshit gets around this by having the mooks be non-humans so the lack of blood is "expected", but it's obvious as heck when it's humans fighting humans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

contemporary action movies have always been bloodless so they can be rated PG and have as many eyeballs on it as possible

capeshit gets around this by having the mooks be non-humans so the lack of blood is "expected", but it's obvious as heck when it's humans fighting humans

those were mostly around punching and blunt weapons; rebel moon had scenes where it felt like the impact should have had meat and bone fly out. if that's what they wanted great, but it seems like a happy middle that satisfies nobody (as per my review of Spirited, which is both too adult and juvenile and appeals to neither demo)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/TheAtlantic/status/1740213511022608715?s=20

quote:

One afternoon, I joined Snyder in the office where he was editing Rebel Moon. In the center of the table where we sat were statuettes of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Feeling, perhaps, the rush of his new project nearing completion, Snyder wondered whether the movie industry’s obsession with strip-mining old source material might be approaching an end. “I mean, like, how much IP is there?” he said.

Quickly, though, he thought of another enduring intellectual property he might like to tackle one day, and his eyes lit up: James Bond. “It’d be cool to see, like, 20-year-old James Bond,” he told me. “The humble roots that he comes from. Whatever trauma of youth that makes you be able to be James Bond,” he said. His voice rose with excitement: “There has to be something there.”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no! no!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

honestly a lovely Q: Steampunk Youth Story would make a big return imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
honestly even teh worst babby origin story snyder rehash can;t be any worse than neil purvis & wade and barbara broccolini garbage

i say let him go for it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol he's so dumb

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the fourth season of for all mankind makes a lot of effort to redeem itself by killing off the worst character and turning the second and third worst characters into class traitors but i dunno if thats really enough to make amends for all the prior existing bullshit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have a fun thought experiment on rotten tomatoes the new season of rick and morty has notably lower ratings both from critics and users compared to previous seasons what theory do we have for what caused this

theory the first the evil manchildren are reviewbombing it for firing justin roiland their hero and idol

theory the second people who have been negative on rick and morty for awhile but reluctant to admit it found the whole roiland affair to be a convenient excuse to rationalize the shows been terrible for years now

theory the third a combination of both perhaps one for regular users and another for official reviewers since these two groups often disagree quite strongly on whether or not a show is good

theory the fourth the seventh season is objectively worse than the sixth one definitely not this one i really dont see how anyone can seriously argue the sixth season was better than the seventh one lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

haven't seen the new season yet but rick and morty has been on a downward trajectory since season 3.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4svtKkSd_E

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

quote:

Sir Ridley Scott (born 30 November 1937) is an English filmmaker.

:pwn:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

closing in on the final stretch of three body and am finding it deeply ironically funny that the story is framing rebellion against communism in the context of deeply cynical antihuman nihilism that has far less to do with anything communism has done specifically and more the borderline comical cultlike belief that an alien race about which we know basically nothing will represent an improvement just because humans suck so much

i think anybody who reads the cultural revolution parts of the story as being meaningfully critical of the communist state is at best unaware of the prexi cultural context when the story was written and at worst so effectively trained by western propaganda to have a knee jerk negative response to the very phrase cultural revolution that they dont actually understand that the historical setting is a deliberate contrast a similar american story would basically be about hippies summoning aliens to stop the vietnam war

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Open Source Idiom posted:

I heard The Counselor was going through a reappraisal period, have you seen it since it came out?

I've never seen it, but I heard Cormac McCarthy worked on the script for it as well so it's always been on my radar despite its reputation.

I saw the Counselor in the cinema when it came out and loved it, I rewatch it a lot, it might be one of my favourite films. Never understood the bad rep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

i have a fun thought experiment on rotten tomatoes the new season of rick and morty has notably lower ratings both from critics and users compared to previous seasons what theory do we have for what caused this

theory the first the evil manchildren are reviewbombing it for firing justin roiland their hero and idol

theory the second people who have been negative on rick and morty for awhile but reluctant to admit it found the whole roiland affair to be a convenient excuse to rationalize the shows been terrible for years now

theory the third a combination of both perhaps one for regular users and another for official reviewers since these two groups often disagree quite strongly on whether or not a show is good

theory the fourth the seventh season is objectively worse than the sixth one definitely not this one i really dont see how anyone can seriously argue the sixth season was better than the seventh one lol

Critical rotten tomatoes scores are all based on the number of screeners they received prior to the debut of the season, yeah? IIRC they were rqting the season based on the first two episodes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

haven't seen the new season yet but rick and morty has been on a downward trajectory since season 3.
eh, I still like R&M just because it's like 20 minutes in-and-out low-stakes low-commitments, and can bang out a season in like an hour. but yeah the novelty was kinda starting to peter out by s3 or 4

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1739824940809945531?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

docbeard posted:

It was originally the 1990s but time travelers keep loving up the timeline and pushing it back.

Also Carol Kane is an immortal alien (and in the show)

She gets typecast so hard