Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

Gold league final was pretty much the worst possible version of what it could've been. Totally generic one guy in, one guy out three way with a bunch of PERFECTLY LEGAL COLE NO DQS IN A THREE WAY bullshit. I was open to ending the league with a three way but they really just did it in the broadest, laziest way possible. Kinda puts a sour taste in my mouth for the whole gold league.

It's especially disappointing with how great the blue league final was.

Sammy turning face immediately upon coming back is.....kinda stupid. Like, I get it, Jericho needs a partner, but you can't find somebody else? You can't put Danny in there? Jericho making amends with him and Menard would make more sense than this.

I have to agree with the Sammy comment. It feels like a boring solution and hopefully after the pape they do something interesting with Sammy and get him away from Jericho. The dude is loved by the crowd - he just gets bogged down in bad angles a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
When did AEW start having their hard cam be angled to be looking down on the wrestlers in the ring? Looks very weird to me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They had the great Eddie/Bryan match to end the Blue league and than end it with a Nitro 98 level main event such is the dichotomy of AEW right now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That was really stupid.

But I kinda loved it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

its the ultimate freebird rule! Wear a black hoodie backwards and you too are the AEW world tag champions! It's probably not cringe!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

That was really stupid.

But I kinda loved it.

if it was the middle of the show I'd probably end up in that camp but as a show ending angle? Nah...AEW usually delivers on it's main events and has that crowd trust and I don't think you want to risk ruining that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I feel like AEW is right on the edge of fixing things. Just gotta get the world title off Max, then his fed bullshit won't drag down the main.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a hunch, not backed up by anything, that this is some form of course correction. The Devil was targeting MJF and trying to get under MJF's skin and make people think that the Devil was MJF. The story was stupid, but all of the story beats (through the various retcons at least) were building up to the Devil being someone with a vendetta against MJF who wanted to, in addition to physically terrorizing him, discredit him and ruin him in the eyes of the locker room, be that Jungle Boy, Roderick Strong, Adam Cole, whoever. All of that changing to "Joe hired the Devil to soften MJF up for him and get his guard down so Joe could beat him up before their title match" is a massive retcon that doesn't really make any sense, because, uh, Joe could've just beaten MJF up whenever he wanted. Why'd he need to put in all of this effort?

Also, MJF had omega boo-boo face coming out tonight. I think he's going down on Saturday.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah the biggest wtf about the Joe angle is that Joe could have just beaten up Max backstage anytime he wanted, and Joe's whole thing is NOT going through elaborate runaround dramatic bullshit. Joe sees, Joe kills. Doesn't make any sense why he would bother with all of that

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's so frustrating that MJF has the DNA of Okada but the heart of Santino Marella.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I've had a theory about the devil that started with me joking around and coming up with the worst possible reveal for this angle, but I've slowly started coming around to the idea that my stupidest idea possible might actually be where they're going.

The devil is Tony Khan.

Let me show my work on this theory:

MJF debuted The Devil gimmick when he came back from his worked shoot contract tantrum with Tony. Now Tony has decided to commandeer the persona for his revenge.

Tony's goal is to get MJF to lose the championship before The Bidding War of 2024 so MJF can't hold the title hostage. Joe is his chosen corporate champion. Joe relinquished the ROH TV title to prove his loyalty to Tony Khan and because Khan promised him the biggest prize in return. Tony as the Devil has psychologically worn MJF down by attacking both his enemies and friends, thus isolating him. Now he's physically worn down and can be more easily destroyed by Joe.

This also explains why the Devil would help soften up MJF for Joe. Why would another wrestler do all this to MJF just to let Joe reap the rewards? Because it's not a wrestler. It's Tony Khan.

Remember that Dynamite where Tony dragged Cole and MJF into his office and screamed at them, but was all nice in front of the camera? That was the planting the seeds.

Also, Tony grew up on 90s wrestling. How long could he possibly resist doing his own heel turn and living out a Bischoff/Mr. McMahon/Higher Power angle.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

1glitch0 posted:

I've had a theory about the devil that started with me joking around and coming up with the worst possible reveal for this angle, but I've slowly started coming around to the idea that my stupidest idea possible might actually be where they're going.

The devil is Tony Khan.

MJF debuted The Devil gimmick when he came back from his worked shoot contract tantrum with Tony. Now Tony has decided to commandeer the persona for his revenge.

Tony's goal is to get MJF to lose the championship before The Bidding War of 2024 so MJF can't hold the title hostage. Joe is his chosen corporate champion. Joe relinquished the ROH TV title to prove his loyalty to Tony Khan and because Khan promised him the biggest prize in return. Tony as the Devil has psychologically worn MJF down by attacking both his enemies and friends, thus isolating him. Now he's physically worn down and can be more easily destroyed by Joe.

This also explains why the Devil would help soften up MJF for Joe. Why would another wrestler do all this to MJF just to let Joe reap the rewards? Because it's not a wrestler. It's Tony Khan.

Remember that Dynamite where Tony dragged Cole and MJF into his office and screamed at them, but was all nice in front of the camera? That was the planting the seeds.

Also, Tony grew up on 90s wrestling. How long could he possibly resist doing his own heel turn and living out a Bischoff/Mr. McMahon/Higher Power angle.

This makes a lot of sense and I hate it.

Imagine the devil starting the big reveal promo with "I have a HUGE announcement!"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

It's so frustrating that MJF has the DNA of Okada but the heart of Santino Marella.

All this does is make Hulk Hogan who does cool bumps but still does Hulk Hogan rear end matches and angles and that loving sucks poo poo imo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've been prepared for 'TK screws Max out of the title' since Max won the title.
I ruled out the possibility when Max turned face and backed off of the Bidding War of 24 stuff.
But this angle has not been terribly good at having good ideas.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If he's leaving the Devil story sucks poo poo as a goodbye, if he signed an extension months ago privately and this is what it's like with him having creative control/say in his stories going forward it sucks poo poo and is going to be a long 4-5 years for the fans. The rare scenario where every result's bad

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This being a lovely goodbye at least saves us, the fans, at some point sooner

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I legit only bought WE for Mox/Eddie. The rest of the card is pretty loving dire IMO.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm missing this show cause I'm going to Japan for Wrestle Kingdom and Comiket but outside of the C2 finals this feels like AEW's weakest PPV. Of course that means it'll rock

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

1glitch0 posted:

The devil is Tony Khan.

"It was me Maxwell. It was me all along"

My roommate was going to buy me tickets for tonight's show but I got sick over the weekend.

Holy gently caress I am so glad that he did not buy me tickets. He does not watch wrestling but was willing to go with me. I would have had to explain everything to him, and then explain why I hated every angle. That whole tournament wasn't meant to push Swerve, but instead give us another Mox vs. Kingston match? This would have been like watching the exploding ring ending live for several hours.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 28, 2023

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Tony giving more WWE castoffs the belts smh

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I think the whole ROH tag team champion stuff with MJF has been bad from the get go. Now it's gonna end worse than it began.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Boooo, they already took the Sting snowglobe off the website.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The ROH tag title thing would have been fine were it not for Adam Cole's soft, lovely body.
...I feel bad for saying that but I don't know what else to call the body of somebody who has derailed 2 major angles in 2 years with major injuries, one of which was acquired from vaulting over a guardrail.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Streaming: Not Even Once

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Streaming: Not Even Once

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I legit only bought WE for Mox/Eddie. The rest of the card is pretty loving dire IMO.

For the cost of one AEW PPV you could subscribe to AJPW.TV for the next 11 months and still have a little change leftover. Assuming that the quick Google price of $71.99 is right and that exchange rates don't wildly change in that period

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
World's End is at the exact same time as the Lions game so I have no loving clue how I'm gonna handle that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Fish Of Doom posted:

Boooo, they already took the Sting snowglobe off the website.

it was announced earlier in the year and i don’t think it ever made it to production because it was so embarrassingly bad. just another merch dept blunder!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Defend RoH belts on RoH (after you make them valuable again)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MrJacobCohen/status/1740172642987241919

A dark match before Dynamite yesterday. Will this save the company?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://hard-drive.net/hd/entertain...-at-this-point/

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

The devil is Tony Khan.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This makes a lot of sense and I hate it.

Imagine the devil starting the big reveal promo with "I have a HUGE announcement!"

ngl this sounds funny as hell to me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Impossible, none of the Devil's creepy screen promos have mentioned the All In London presale

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The Devil doing little stomps while his minions beat down MJF

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

forkboy84 posted:

For the cost of one AEW PPV you could subscribe to AJPW.TV for the next 11 months and still have a little change leftover. Assuming that the quick Google price of $71.99 is right and that exchange rates don't wildly change in that period

I'm not giving money to NXT Japan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

apophenium posted:

I'm not giving money to NXT Japan

It's not NXT Japan yet. Now if Dempsey were to win then alarm bells are really going to start ringing...

Fortunately you don't have to because they've removed the show for non-Japanese shows & now if you want it you have to subscribe to FITE+. Despite it being advertised as part of your ¥900/month for December. Very uncool. So I guess you can watch it if you have that, but as I have no interest in US indies & regional MMA I can't. :smithicide:

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

The devil is Tony Khan.

Sadly this is the funniest possible option and thus I am required by the poster's code of honor to want this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Cabal claims another.