Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Is anyone hosting/playing on a community server? I've been itching to get back into the game but solo can be a bit of a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

My kid saw this mod over my shoulder https://mods.vintagestory.at/fantasycreatures when I was looking through the list. It might be an interesting add while removing rifts.

I'm using this but one thing to note is that the new enemies have some basic interactions but will gladly ignore drifters, each other, and stuff from other creature mods (Wildmen and the one that adds animals including horses) to gang up on you.

You can edit the JSON files to add stuff to the ai but you have to do it per entity which is a lot of small hand edits.

Makes the world feel better if goblins and orks fight skeletons and drifters and such.

The other issue is I found they all dropped WAY too much loot with the sheer numbers that Spawn, so I reduced the rate of drops from drifters and the nodded stuff to account for that, but YMMV.

All in all the variety is really nice and can lead to some cool dynamic moments like a pack of orks fighting drifters from a rift near your base or saving a cornered wild horse from harrassing goblins or even a dragon scorching sheep while you nope right the gently caress out of that forest.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I ended up using commands for the first time to kind of jump through my first winter. To be clear I made it to January but reached a point where I couldn't really get much further until Spring rolled around again. I was swimming in Copper, but could only pretty much find masses of Quartz where I was and not much else. I spawned and settled more or less in an area that in any direction has mountains blocking the path, and with how short the days are as well heading out and exploring isn't all that fun. Does the game generally intend for you to be more nomadic in nature and settle in a spot for a bit before moving on or to more or less stick to one place and then branch out on adventures? How do people here tend to play?

Senrab
May 10, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I ended up using commands for the first time to kind of jump through my first winter. To be clear I made it to January but reached a point where I couldn't really get much further until Spring rolled around again. I was swimming in Copper, but could only pretty much find masses of Quartz where I was and not much else. I spawned and settled more or less in an area that in any direction has mountains blocking the path, and with how short the days are as well heading out and exploring isn't all that fun. Does the game generally intend for you to be more nomadic in nature and settle in a spot for a bit before moving on or to more or less stick to one place and then branch out on adventures? How do people here tend to play?

I'm no expert but I've definitely settled down. I do a lot less exploring during the winter and am focusing more on building and tidying up, but I've moved on to making Bronze so I feel like I'm a bit ahead of you.

When you say you can only find copper and quartz, are you prospecting? If not that makes sense, copper and quartz are generally easy to find near the surface. Prospecting is needed for most other ores.

If you are prospecting and the results are low, that generally means the ore is nearby it's just probably deep underground.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can either build up enough to get to prospecting picks so you can density search your way to a "good" area to be the site for your homestead, or you can pick via other means and accept that some traveling or changes to your plan are in order.

Additionally, once you start going cave diving you may run into things that will allow you to travel to entirely different areas, and back.

Or perhaps you settled near a bunch of traders and are using them to provide what you need. Living near a commodities trader, for example, and otherwise having a good source of rusty gears means you'll never truly be out of anything pre-iron era.

I used to settle pretty close to spawn, but I decided I liked slightly warmer areas (and there's a spot where neither wolves nor hyenas spawn, which makes base building a bit easier) so instead of spawning myself in to the slightly warmer area I am nomadic fairly quickly. I try to rush to a prospecting pick, pick, and hammer, then head off. If surface copper nuggets are scarce locally, sometimes just the prospecting pick. Along the way I have always collected enough flax to upgrade all my bags to linen. I pick and choose what I carry - grain and vegetables are pretty great long term food, so berries get eaten first. Having a clay pot is rather helpful to stretch the grain and vegetables. Sometimes I carry the bushes with me, but only 1 or 2 types. I make sure to have several dozen haybales and a hay bed in order to make a quick night hideout that is quick to tear down in the morning. Terra preta has a spot (though with next patch that will be high quality soil instead). Flax seeds, 1 other grain (sometimes rye, sometimes spelt), onion seeds are the main seeds, then the special ones (cabbage/pumpkin) if found. Depending on how I'm feeling, sometimes I carry 1 each of knife/axe/shovel/spear, sometimes if I have more linen bags before heading out I'll carry 1 each made tool plus 4 tool heads of each/some of them (as the tool heads alone will stack to 4).

The Turkish Owl
Apr 26, 2011
Man, I gotta say that the story dungeon rocked our world. This was our... 4th? run through the game and the most focused. The first time we ended up with about 12 different people playing to varying degrees, so time could progress at wildly different rates depending on the day. It was tough to manage. The next two were more private affairs but there was still a pretty big disparity in the rate of attendance. This time it was just 5 of us.

Thoughts:
I played Clockmaker and holy hell the updates there were really amazing. I don't think I can go back to hunter after all the extra pieces I was able to get through the class specific recipes.

We built our base on the side of the mountain that contained the story dungeon. We went down the first time we arrived and checked the available rooms, (Story Dungeon Spoiler) took all the coal out of Engineering (HMMM), nosed around, and went out because we didn't want to spoil everything. For the next two real time months we didn't go in again - people were on vacation, etc etc, couldn't have the whole group on at the same time. It was wonderful to be playing the game for all the entertainment it had, building and settling and crafting as usual, but with this carrot on a stick still up in the air saying, "There's more." It was even more rewarding than it might have been, as well, because (Story Dungeon Spoiler) given that we had removed the black coal for our own purposes the first time we went down, there wasn't any in the boiler to hint at what to do. We had to re-figure it out after a couple months break, which made the discovery of that and then the subsequent steps feel deeply rewarding and special. This type of custom experience in a game so full of procedural and self-inspired entertainment was revelatory in a way that I'm not sure another game could even attempt.

Mods continue to impress. The Chisel Tools are must have. I enjoyed the glass mod with glowing glass as well, the complexity of that process was so annoying but also boss as hell to complete (like this game). I ended up using them at the top of signal towers which mark our various translocator holes. Medieval Expansion's windmill sails may be OP but I don't care. I need to be able to drive 3 individually transmissioned helves and a pulverizer during a gentle breeze. I need to. Speaking of, the feeling of accomplishment when managing to seat those 3 transmissions on top of each other and make them accessible from within the smithy while hiding all the machinery? So sweet.

This game just rules. It rules.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Aero737 posted:

Is anyone hosting/playing on a community server? I've been itching to get back into the game but solo can be a bit of a slog.

Aura Fury is one of the bigger ones, if not the biggest one. I was on there about a year and a half ago. Good people on there, no drama. There's another goon who played on there. In the "city center", which last I remember was a clearly defined area, you had to build things within theme/code. Most people seemed to have their own little satellite plots of land where they spent most of their time and then pour their extra resources into building in the city center to expand it out more. The people there are a helpful bunch too if you're short on something or need to borrow someone's gear to complete a tool.

Fully recommend checking them out.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

are bees a myth? are bees a cruel joke played on us by god and the dev team? i've been playing this game off and on for years, and the thing that always stalls me out is that i can never find any god drat bees :negative:

currently still going because thanks to blessed rng i found a couple candles in an urn, so i could make a lantern or two. but i've been wandering through forests for ages and not seen hide nor hair of a single fricken bee, once again, and it's making me go feral that this keeps happening. i even got a mod for hard of hearing people that makes text pop up when you're within sound radius of a beehive, and not a dang peep

help

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

someone awful. posted:

are bees a myth? are bees a cruel joke played on us by god and the dev team? i've been playing this game off and on for years, and the thing that always stalls me out is that i can never find any god drat bees :negative:

currently still going because thanks to blessed rng i found a couple candles in an urn, so i could make a lantern or two. but i've been wandering through forests for ages and not seen hide nor hair of a single fricken bee, once again, and it's making me go feral that this keeps happening. i even got a mod for hard of hearing people that makes text pop up when you're within sound radius of a beehive, and not a dang peep

help

I'm hearing that you can't find beads

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

someone awful. posted:

help

I installed the mod Block Overlay specifically because I couldn't find bees and wanted to know if they did in fact exist.

I also very occasionally use it to look at ore heights, to know if I'm deep enough to find zinc e.g. Halite would have driven me insane if I didn't use it, as it often didn't spawn even in very high density areas.

It's very cheaty but it does improve parts of the game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

HopperUK posted:

I'm hearing that you can't find beads

Oh, they don't allow you to have beans here.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've rarely had trouble with bees, if you run through enough forests you find them eventually. The source of salt on the other hand is a myth known only to whatever traders I can find that sell it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Other than the Bzzzz mod, any others?

I find bees pretty regularly while cruising forests, and usually by the time I have found one and am bringing my filled skep back I've found another 2-3 closer to me than the one I worked on.

I've found salt pillars twice I think. Once I mined right into one in a poor area I was digging through for something else entirely. Another I found because while halite does not show on a prospecting pick node search, sylvite does, and it only spawns inside halite.

I've found a few small flats of halite in warmer desert regions

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I must be lucky, I always found bees fairly easily. Sometimes when they are high on the treetops getting enough flowers nearby is a hassle, but finding them in the first place is fine.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Spanish Matlock posted:

I've rarely had trouble with bees, if you run through enough forests you find them eventually. The source of salt on the other hand is a myth known only to whatever traders I can find that sell it.

Salt can be pretty challenging to find but you can prospect for it indirectly by looking for sylvite ore as this only spawns in halite domes. This video demonstrates a great prospecting method using sylvite in halite as an example. Salt domes spawn differently to ore deposits so it can be worth node searching for sylvite in areas with low probabilities.

Once you find a dome, you're set for salt forever as they're absolutely massive. Unlimited pickled veg!

E: mixed up halite and sylvite

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 29, 2023

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

piano chimp posted:

Salt can be pretty challenging to find but you can prospect for it indirectly by looking for sylvite ore as this only spawns in halite domes. This video demonstrates a great prospecting method using sylvite in halite as an example. Salt domes spawn differently to ore deposits so it can be worth node searching for sylvite in areas with low probabilities.

You've reminded me why I enjoy this game so much. Been wanting to play the latest version, but so many of the my required mods (like carryon) just don't seem to work, and I played so much of the last version I feel like I've tapped it out for now.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Thanks everyone for answering all my dumb newbie questions!

Got two more as I enter my first winter:
1) what do I do with unfinished copper nails and strips? I chose to make 8 not realizing I'd need a second ingot and it's cooled off. Do I:
A - put it on the bloomery to heat it back up?
B - melt in a crucible?
C - ???
I'm playing vanilla with no mods.

2) I've got a barn built and even got two hogs in it. Do i need a 2x2 gate or something to keep them warm for the winter?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Any unfinished smithing item can be heated up by putting it back on top of a hot forge and bringing to appropriate temperature for the metal. Note that you can't overheat metals.... yet.

Once heated, it can be picked up with tongs and worked on again, including adding on your 2nd ingot.

I also think you can take a chisel to it, however, you'll need nails and strips so unless you're absolutely hurting for copper, I would simply finish it.

Animals aren't negatively impacted by cold, however, they can despawn in 0 light and during winter they will lose weight. Keeping a light source in/on your barn and feeding your animals counteracts those.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Awesome, thanks!

I've noticed that inside my hut it still reads "outside temperature X°" I'm pretty sure I've insulated my hut properly- does it ever switch to indoor temperature?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not a 100% sure how the insulation works and I think a firepit can warm up a room, but usually the problem is that the roof needs full blocks under it and roof ceramic tiles aren't enough. Not actually sure if slab walls count either. Last time I built a bigger house I was constantly cold inside it too during winters, and I went away with the thought that house insulation is not something that fully even functions yet.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you want to check if a room counts as a valid room, you can type "/roomregdebug hi" to have the game highlight what it decides is a current room, then use "/roomregdebug unhi" to unhighlight the area. A valid room can be fairly large, but you can't be >14 blocks away from a counted wall and have it count as a room (so a 14x14x14 should work). If you have slanted roof tiles, you need complete blocks under them. Stairs and slabs seem to work if they're placed with their full face with the wall. You also need a non-rough door and less than 50% sunlight making its way inside.

Supposedly.

If all that is done then a fire pit should get extra heat radius to cover the room.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Ooh thanks for that info!

I spent all of a day getting two sows into my barn when I'd attracted them to my farm trap. I noticed the pigs already in the barn were both males, too, so lucky me.

The scythe really makes it easy to stock up on grass to feed the pigs over winter. Not sure how much I need for two boars and two sows but I'm sure slicing away at least three stacks of 64 each day until the grass stops coming up.

I made a forge to reheat the unfinished nails, now to sort out timing that process with getting copper ingots ready to go so I can finish that job.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i installed block overlay and ran around for an hour in forests and still didn't find bees, am i cursed????

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Are you in the arctic or something? Bees won't appear if it's too far north.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

no, i'm pretty darn close to spawn, maybe a bit northwest of where i started :psyduck:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Where did you set your spawn to?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

whatever the default is, i really didn't mess with any of the worldgen settings.

everything i read says this shouldn't be so hard, i'm utterly baffled by it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I am utterly garbage at finding bees myself. Until a split second before I finish chopping down a tree when I hear the buzz and realize right as I destroy their hive, every time.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bees also need enough rainfall to spawn so if you're in a dry forest that could be hurting chances.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

GenericOverusedName posted:

Are you in the arctic or something? Bees won't appear if it's too far north.

Something I *love* about VS is that day length gets all “wonky” as you go further into the arctic, relative to everyone else further south. It’s the coolest thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Something I love about VS is artic vs not is a really fun mathematical function calculating from origin solving the map generating problem of how do you simulate a 3d sphere in a voxel coordinate system with the answer: you don't.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
upside-down stairs work fine to seal off a roof (ie roof tiles on top, stairs below), and you can pop straw bales in any holes to temporarily make things tight if you were using like, wooden fences for windows or still don't have a solid door by winter. I play basically vanilla but I do use the HUD mod, I figure that it basically only tells you info that's all freely available anyways but keeps it easier to use and less intrusive (cause you don't have to pop the character screen up any time you want to look at temp or rift activity and such). The other nice thing about it is that it shows whether the room you're in counts as a cellar or as enclosed, which is really useful because there's basically no in-game status that easily indicates either.

likewise the other mod I use is the prospecting pick info mod because the gently caress if i'm going to take all the time to make manual notes on propick data all over my map

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

aaaaaaaugh i finally found bees, i had to go over 1500 west of my base and getting back is gonna be a complete pain, but at least now i know they exist, for real, somewhere, for the first time ever!

thanks to whoever suggested more-or-less cheating with block overlay! i literally would never have heard the buzzing even with my sound at 100, and the radius on buzzwords seems like i have to basically be right on top of 'em

e: wait why aren't the bees detecting any of the billion flowers i placed ahh

e2: can bees be glitched? they see like, 100+ flowers and the population is "large", but it says nothing about them swarming in any amount of days. and i've checked back in on the beehive multiple days now. it's the middle of summer so temperature isn't an issue

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 30, 2023

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Did you throw down a bee kept nearby? I don't think it mentions them swarming until they've got somewhere to go. With 70+ flowers and large pop they should swarm within 24 hours.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i've got a skep set up right near the beehive, is that not the correct thing to do?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
think it has to be within 3 spaces, you might need to be a little closer

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

zedprime posted:

Something I love about VS is artic vs not is a really fun mathematical function calculating from origin solving the map generating problem of how do you simulate a 3d sphere in a voxel coordinate system with the answer: you don't.

It's literally physically impossible so that makes sense but how come nobody makes a ringworld

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Does the room calculation just increase the temperature at all times in there, or is it a bonus when a fire is going?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Aero737 posted:

I really like the idea of multiplayer vintage story, but in practice every time I log in it's a different time of year and it just feels... ungrounded, in a way that undermines the whole reason I like the game. I can't imagine playing VS multiplayer unless the server was doing some weird thing where it was up for a few hours a week on a schedule or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Travic posted:

Does the room calculation just increase the temperature at all times in there, or is it a bonus when a fire is going?

both afaik