Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the dice shuffling is confusing.
it probably be easier like Swarm once you unlock all the good dice roll combinations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Detheros posted:

Is it me or is Gold and Gears way harder than Swarm.

It definitely is harder.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress dude, and I thought swarm was hard as balls

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Detheros posted:

Is it me or is Gold and Gears way harder than Swarm.

I think it is, but there are also likely new ways to bend it over your knee once you know how and use the right dicesets. Still not anticipating clearing difficulty V, though.

EDIT: MoC keeps getting harder and it has passed me by, and I am waving it adieu with a smile. I can get my 15 stars in two installments during the Honor period, and that's good enough.

delfin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 28, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I beat Difficulty V with a DHIL team, but I definitely felt like a glass cannon and had to be saved by the auto-revive blessings a couple of times. But it's probably the same situation as Swarm where difficulty V is tuned around a full metaprogression so it's gonna feel more manageable the more you've played it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Diff V Gold n Gears oneshot my entire party with a Grizzly AoE so I’ll be grinding that enhancement tree it comes with for sure— though that was my Kafka team running Nihility so maybe something like DHIL will do better.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I find Gold and Gears significantly easier. :shrug:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Kanos posted:

Ruan Mei doesn't seem to be an emanator, given that a bit part of her whole bit in this patch is being perplexed about what an emanator actually is and trying to recreate the Prime Sting to try to manufacture her own artificial emanator so she can understand the concept better.

Her story says she did get the Gaze of Nous and was invited to the genius society after that. My understanding of the prime sting emanator is that it’s the most barebones emanator available to her due to being an uncomplex path with no alive aeon to interfere, and since her desire is to drill down into the ultimate single answer to all the paths to become an aeon a really basic one is a useful start.

My assumption is she might have something to do with Xipe next, but I haven’t looked at big leaks so plz don’t spoil me if I’m off base

e; Gold and Gears with the new resonance and curios can get pretty silly, I find it easier than swarm

Nearly 700 crit dmg on Jingliu run was as funny as it looks

coolusername fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 28, 2023

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Anyone want to befriend a newbie? 600927735

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

New SU stuff is fun, though all the options for dice and path bonuses are kind of overwhelming.

One thing I like about SU is how it can basically negate characters not having great gear. My Argenti isn't geared very well (like 50/100 on crit stats, only 2700 attack), but it doesn't make a big difference once you add a bunch of SU buffs into the equation. Had a fun run with the new Erudition path with both him and Jing Yuan.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

I find Gold and Gears significantly easier. :shrug:

See, this is the exact opposite for me, where the weekly is easy but boring, but GnG is kicking my Kafka Team's rear end at Diff 3, even with Ruan Mei juicing things.

gonna have to grind at pissy baby difficulty to unlock poo poo, i suppose. the metaprogression just isn't as obvious as Swarm, is all

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tree Reformat posted:

See, this is the exact opposite for me, where the weekly is easy but boring, but GnG is kicking my Kafka Team's rear end at Diff 3, even with Ruan Mei juicing things.

gonna have to grind at pissy baby difficulty to unlock poo poo, i suppose. the metaprogression just isn't as obvious as Swarm, is all

What's your sustain for the group? I could see it if you're not using Fu Xuan, or I guess if you get caught with a lot of instability right at the end.

If you're not, focus on things like Hell is Other People and all of the Brain in a Jar blessings. Brain in a Jar is loving cracked six ways from Sunday - I was able to rip seven Kafka/Sampo ults in a row thanks to it and the "random ally gets 2/3 energy when a DoT ticks" blessing.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

What's your sustain for the group? I could see it if you're not using Fu Xuan, or I guess if you get caught with a lot of instability right at the end.

If you're not, focus on things like Hell is Other People and all of the Brain in a Jar blessings. Brain in a Jar is loving cracked six ways from Sunday - I was able to rip seven Kafka/Sampo ults in a row thanks to it and the "random ally gets 2/3 energy when a DoT ticks" blessing.

No Fu or Gepard, only Huohuo. And yeah, I got those and the Destruction damage dispersal one as well as some Preservation ones, but the bots one shot everyone anyway at Level 2 of whatever its called.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I needed double sustain to survive MOC 12. This has been a humbling experience.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tree Reformat posted:

hoyo punishing everyone who thought huohuo was a safe skip

Fu Xuan just makes you immune to all CC debuffs.

Kanos posted:

Ruan Mei doesn't seem to be an emanator, given that a bit part of her whole bit in this patch is being perplexed about what an emanator actually is and trying to recreate the Prime Sting to try to manufacture her own artificial emanator so she can understand the concept better.

I don't think wanting to create an Emanator on her own is mutually exclusive with being one herself. I mean, it's not like she created herself; being one wouldn't automatically give her any insight into how it works. That said I don't think it's been clearly stated whether all Geniuses are Emanators or not.

It's worth noting though that the Genius Society has been around for thousands of years and they are still in the low double digits of member numbers. Heck, #27 is the subject of the forgotten ancient history they're researching in the SU right now. They're extremely rare, and the only reason we've seen so many around at once is because they all know how to make themselves functionally immortal. Dr. Ratio isn't really joking when he calls himself a mere mortal compared to them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 28, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Fu Xuan just makes you immune to all CC debuffs.

...sorta. She can't really handle them frequently coming in (since her debuff prevention only applies to a single application), and it's at a steep skill point cost since she needs to use her Skill to re-apply the "debuff shield."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lost the flip, yanqing e1

put the rating pistol in my mouth and pull the trigger

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’ve been cruising through, I’m finding this so much easier than swarm. I think the most important thing is to make sure to always set your dice up to benefit the stage’s effects. ex. If there’s bonus per trotter killed, make sure your dice maximises the trotter murder. Cheat the second you can so you can snowball the advantage. And you really wanna prioritise bringing elemental weakness matches to the bosses, brute forcing it with a no element hypercarry is much harder here than in swarm I find.

Oh, and if you wanna run one sustain and can’t survive, besides the obvious abundance and preservation, propagation interplay resonances are a shield and a damage nullifier. Set up path spam blessings/curios and you can be pretty immortal.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

lost the flip, yanqing e1

put the rating pistol in my mouth and pull the trigger

i wouldnt wish yanqing on my worst enemy

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got Himeko from my first 50/50 loss, first Seele banner and then again losing first SW banner to get her e1, got Bailu and her LC from standard…the second Himeko made me mad enough to stop playing between SW banner and when Topaz came out.

Now though I consider myself lucky because it was never Yanqing. If I get him I’m afraid I’ll throw my phone through the wall.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

i wouldnt wish yanqing on my worst enemy

One of my friends described Yanqing as 'permanent account damage'.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ruan Mei and Himeko create a funny combo in SU with Elation bonuses. Just end every fight before it begins! Even skip phase 1 of bosses if you're strong enough.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Kind of see why they're giving Dr.Ratio for free.

He's kind of a jerk and mean. And not endearing or cute in the way Topaz and Ruan Mei are. Just mean.
And he wears pants.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It's okay, you can just say "he's a guy"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

rio posted:

I got Himeko from my first 50/50 loss, first Seele banner and then again losing first SW banner to get her e1, got Bailu and her LC from standard…the second Himeko made me mad enough to stop playing between SW banner and when Topaz came out.

Now though I consider myself lucky because it was never Yanqing. If I get him I’m afraid I’ll throw my phone through the wall.

Himeko is at least a cool person in general and with the later characters she can do some very funny stuff in SU (the only content that matters)

Yanqing isn't interesting in the least and his kit is not good at all, you'd be better off building Hook

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Himeko got dunked on a lot on release but I think she gets better the more developed your account is. Building an Erudition for fire-weak mobs isn't great value early on but eventually you do get to a point where you can start to mix and match your DPS to target weaknesses and she just shreds against the right enemies. I think she's the third or fourth best standard banner character honestly (behind Bronya and Gepard, and maybe Clara)

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I for one look forward to genderbent Sorceress Sellen gathering dust in my roster while he silently judges me.

Should I be bothering to gear up Ruan Mei very well? It sounds like she's getting a much better relic set in the next patch or so.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GateOfD posted:

Kind of see why they're giving Dr.Ratio for free.

He's kind of a jerk and mean. And not endearing or cute in the way Topaz and Ruan Mei are. Just mean.
And he wears pants.

Ruan Mei drugs you without your consent and then blackmails you about the antidote to the drug(which was itself a lie) into an insanely dangerous area on your own with absolutely no idea what you're heading into in order to cover up one of her own failed personal experiments that she did on Herta's space station without telling anyone and could easily blow up the station and kill everyone on it. She's also a huge rear end in a top hat to the cute little animals that she created.

Ratio, meanwhile, is a smarmy douche, but he goes out of his way to try to warn you about the thing that Ruan Mei very deliberately did not despite not knowing who the hell you are and not having a personal interest in your continued survival.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ruan Mei 🤝 Kafka

Hot ladies that do crimes against humanity

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's a lot of words attacking Ruan Mei for her undiagnosed autism

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I support women’s wrongs

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

coolusername posted:

I support women’s wrongs

Silver Wolf, Kafka, Topaz, Ruan Mei

I have so many problematic women on my roster

and I want mooooooooore

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

New Leaf posted:

I'm guessing this game is still pretty popular? I've been trying to find something new to play and didn't feel like I gave this a fair shake, I think I got a really poo poo roll for my starters and didn't go any further in the tutorial, and I wasn't keen on the touch screen controls, but I have a new phone now and am playing on PC as well so I'm giving it another shot. Anything I should do since I'm still super early in the story? I only have March, Asta, Dan, Serval, and Herta, plus Himeko as a "trial" character.

This basically got missed with discussion of the new update.

If you're still super early on probably my biggest note is that you can basically do whatever for most of the story and a lot of the side quests, I think I used mostly a combination of the Story Trio, Natasha, and Serval all through the end of the launch story. Later on you'll eventually want at least two teams, most likely following the Solo Sustain + 2X Buffer/Debuffer + DPS formula, but for now you can use whatever.

As that general team formula would suggest, supports are generally very good in this game and not to be underestimated. Tingyun on the current banner and Asta who you already have are very good, as is the current 5-star Ruan Mei. Eventually you'll likely want to change your team up based on enemy weaknesses, but for now you can probably just out-level everything if you want. Of course, levels that are relatively expensive early on amount to basically no-cost later, so don't spread resources too thin but also don't be afraid to experiment. If you've played Genshin, it's pretty similar on all that.

I'd definitely recommend Serval both in general and especially for the story, btw. AOE damage is always great to have, her single-target damage isn't bad, and you will be fighting a lot of robots who are weak to electro.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tree Reformat posted:

and I want mooooooooore

Same, honestly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

and I want mooooooooore

Umm where's jingliu

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

Umm where's jingliu

i said "on my roster", had to skip her and fu for topaz

sometimes we must suffer for our love

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

i said "on my roster", had to skip her and fu for topaz

sometimes we must suffer for our love

Oh dear my condolence

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Meowywitch posted:

Umm where's jingliu

Those are problematic characters, jingliu's problem is being a mary sue

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Eej posted:

shut up eej

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Eej posted:

There is no possible way she is a Mary Sue.