Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Lmao that Iconoclast lets you perfectly clearly understand what Nocturne is telling you in Act 3. Apparently the nice guys get +9000 IQ in 40k.

People with a brain tend to realize that fascism is bad, it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Iconoclasts all enjoy eldar poetry

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

If I recall it wasn't intended to take place during it, but they've adjusted segments like that to imply the game takes place after the great rift opening, yeah.

There are also references to the Astronomicon no longer being visible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Lmao that Iconoclast lets you perfectly clearly understand what Nocturne is telling you in Act 3. Apparently the nice guys get +9000 IQ in 40k.

I loved that lol. Wish it made him visibly annoyed tbh

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's because they are on that alignment.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

improved heavy bolter is completely insane.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I don't think think I'll ever get the rep for the improved heavy bolter. I'm on about 30k and about to start Act 5.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Im not a big fan of the rep system. I don't like how going hard on one makes all of them inflate as much as they do. Sure maybe they want all the cool stuff to be somewhat limited but idk...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Further Reading posted:

I don't think think I'll ever get the rep for the improved heavy bolter. I'm on about 30k and about to start Act 5.

Reputation in general needs a severe overhaul. The rep requirements for some of the colony projects are insane. You need 29k Kasaballica for a rank 2 project that gives you regenerating gas grenades. All the reps requirements for competing projects are so high it seems like you need to go all in on 2 vendors with different 400/500 reputation cargo requests otherwise you'll never be able to afford anything.

Was the design intent that you have to pick 1-2 main vendors and stick with them?

Speaking of colonies, I somehow got the the NPC ally ship, no idea where or from what. Maybe it was an event that was supposed to trigger, because when I click on the events that demand RT attention it just autoclears with no information.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Further Reading posted:

You get it as a drop late act 5, just so you can know what you've been missing.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

Was the design intent that you have to pick 1-2 main vendors and stick with them?

yeah the design intent seems to be you should hyperspecialize. 1 guy per skill, 1 fighter, 1 faction (2 if you count the navy). it's weird but very consistent.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There should've been 1 general vendor you don't need a reputation for just PF in that case, sells the ranks of grenades, medkits, armor, and weapons in a progression order and their consumable stock would respawn.

The other vendors could have been more aligned to the iconoclast/dogmatic/heretic, homeworld, psyker, etc, with equipment bonus along those lines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Starting Act 3
I have a ton of traumas from the torture. I find Skin Patches that 'removes 1 trauma' and use them on myself. None of the traumas go away.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Starting Act 3
I have a ton of traumas from the torture. I find Skin Patches that 'removes 1 trauma' and use them on myself. None of the traumas go away.

The story wounds are not actual traumas. They're more akin to the buffs you get from Colony projects. They'll get removed after your first arena fight. Until then you're going to be a gimpy trader.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I think it is down to you having empathy and patience enough to bother with subtlety, Dogmatics and Heretics just go "what gibberish is this Xeno spouting?" more or less

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

So just got the heretic secret character.

Officer/Master Strategist Chaos Space Marine. I can't seem to change his equipment, unsure if bug. He's got a melee weapon that hits like a truck, gives allies a +damage buff and makes them attack the target. He's got a bolt pistol that does decent warp damage. Possibly more but I current can't inspect weapons since cmd+click doesn't work on my macbook.

His special talents are access to the charge ability despite not being a warrior, +5 fellowship per kill and the power to summon a friendly daemon which recharges every 9 kills.

Pretty cool for a killy officer, deffo feels more unique than what I've seen for Chorda.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the rep vendors are supposed to add replay differences, but it would’ve been better to be tied to an event where you pick between them instead of just stingy rep currency. As it is now you have these bars that never fill up always forlornly staying partially filled. Games are all about filling up bars so they done hosed up there

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I'm about 40 hours in, still in Chapter 2 and I gotta say that 40 hours of being neck-deep in Eternal Infinite Space Facism has felt like a bit much.
It's like WotR if Regill was the main character and you spent half the game in Pitax.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Back to my complaining about their skill checks, I don't think anyone realized they should have done a different difficulty standard for the characteristics as opposed to the skills.

I'm on the genestealer ship, and there's a STR check with a -50 difficulty.

And the rewards are a basic hand flamer and some minor cargo.

I'm used to just hoovering up any and all garbage but at what point in act 2 would you want a character with 100 str as their base out of combat for the chance at a coin flip to succeed in a skill check? Even building a specialized melee DPS character I don't think STR is the stat you're going to pump.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 28, 2023

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Strength is the 4th most important stat for a melee beast, slotting in after WS, agi and T. I can't see any reason for cranking it beyond whatever you need for gear and talents.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where can I find equipment suitable for Largeguy McHuge, other than his starting?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Where can I find equipment suitable for Largeguy McHuge, other than his starting?

There's some stuff you can find in his companion quest if you run around everywhere and pass some awareness checks.

Apparently some stuff deep into the vendors too. AdMech has some variety of helmets, weapons, and his Ax, the Kasballica have a chainsword+bolt pistol, and the Drusians have some helmets.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 28, 2023

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
There was also a random Astartes plasma pistol in the Smuggler's hideout area that opens in act 4.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Lone Badger posted:

Eufrates II has some.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Act 3 question:
I've left Spiky Elf City after having lots of fun and murder, but Space Wolf dude was left in the cage. Is this character lost for that playthrough?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

alex314 posted:

Act 3 question:
I've left Spiky Elf City after having lots of fun and murder, but Space Wolf dude was left in the cage. Is this character lost for that playthrough?

Yes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Extremely disappointed that after recruiting the Drakon to fight alongside me in the arena, I can't yell "psych!" the moment the battle is over and kill him too.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I must have screwed some skill check or dialogue path to lose that recruitable character..

The Lone Badger posted:

Extremely disappointed that after recruiting the Drakon to fight alongside me in the arena, I can't yell "psych!" the moment the battle is over and kill him too.

Same. I would throw him to the Henrix, but ACAB and stuff. If I get a throne decision he gets beheaded though. No spiky rear end in a top hat crashes my home, sits in my chair and lives to tell the tale.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

One thing holding this game back is Owlcat's obsession with bloat. The whole map just screams making the game longer. A large number of the systems have nothing in them coupled with the busy work of fighting incursions onto the ship.

If you cut out all that bullshit the game would be much tighter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

One thing holding this game back is Owlcat's obsession with bloat. The whole map just screams making the game longer. A large number of the systems have nothing in them coupled with the busy work of fighting incursions onto the ship.

If you cut out all that bullshit the game would be much tighter.

Does Chapter 4 get really stingy with navigator points or something? I got to the end of Chapter 3, exploring every system, without a single warp event.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the space stuff is a lot of fun and I wish there was more of it :shrug: I get more impatient with too many boring on-foot fights.

Still ready for Owlcat's Pirates!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Does Chapter 4 get really stingy with navigator points or something? I got to the end of Chapter 3, exploring every system, without a single warp event.

not really. orange routes also give an event that yield 6 navigator points so i've had around 40-50 through all of chapter 4 because i never upgraded warp safety outside a few central routes i made green.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zodium posted:

not really. orange routes also give an event that yield 6 navigator points so i've had around 40-50 through all of chapter 4 because i never upgraded warp safety outside a few central routes i made green.

I made everything into green routes so I never had the chance to interact with warp events but that's good to know.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Most of said route events do need some skill checks to yield the navigator points (usually Lore Warp) and the game has the weird tendency to only use members who were in your last ground party, so one has to watch out for that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I ran out of points and had to gently caress around for ages because I couldn't trigger the event to end act 2. So I'm like 45 hours in, really high level and yet I'm only just getting to the end of act 2 now.
God I loving hate the encounters you get on warp events. As people have said the combat isn't particularly hard but it's super samey and it's made me really bored of it. I'd legit rather spend a bunch of scrap and take ship damage than spend 15 minutes fighting a load of daemons again.

I do love going around the map finding stuff too. I'm an exception that liked that in Mass Effect as well. Just really fleshes the world out, especially since I'm so familiar with 40k it's nice for me.

And this has been said but I loving absolutely hate the archetype system. It's boring poo poo. I have four arch militants because the other classes just seem so lacking in comparison, but also I just feel like they're "extras" and everyone should be like a Psyker where you're picking a class that directly gives you a bunch of stuff.
The archetypes (especially when it comes to your Navigator) just feel OFF and I'm not sure how else to describe it. Like in Wrath even though I'm absolutely poo poo at pathfinder I at least am curious about what to do with all the different classes and I played through 3 times to see what it's like. Here they seem really samey. And Operative is so unbelievably faffy that I really hate it. This also goes for the Strategist one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

It's still all weird busy work. Nothing in half the systems actually moves the game on.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Taear posted:

And this has been said but I loving absolutely hate the archetype system. It's boring poo poo. I have four arch militants because the other classes just seem so lacking in comparison, but also I just feel like they're "extras" and everyone should be like a Psyker where you're picking a class that directly gives you a bunch of stuff.
The archetypes (especially when it comes to your Navigator) just feel OFF and I'm not sure how else to describe it. Like in Wrath even though I'm absolutely poo poo at pathfinder I at least am curious about what to do with all the different classes and I played through 3 times to see what it's like. Here they seem really samey. And Operative is so unbelievably faffy that I really hate it. This also goes for the Strategist one.

You can do some very stupid poo poo with most archetypes (Strategist zones that make actions 0 and refill ap on top of other boosts, operative assassin hitting the single highest damage number possible, multiple operative bounty hinters stacking free exploits and sharing benefits from prey and getting free turns which is hilarious with psykers who bypass attack limitations,master strategist can make himself unkillable and all support bonuses make your arch militant even worse), but they require more effort than Arch militant going 'VRRRRR, I switch attacks 10 times in one turn thanks to officers , heroic acts and wildfire stacking bonuses'. So that is one factor
And because very few things are baked into the archetype progression, piecing them together is also extra hassle. It's like every class in pathfinder having to choose feats, spells and class abilities all together from a big pool, and depending on the level, you have to pick from a sub-pool. And you do it 50 times instead of 10 or so(since for many classes in pathjinder there are essentially empty levels)

I do like the system overall, but the progression and how many abilities of an archetype need combos with other archetypes or itself to really shine makes this more complicated than it needs to be when it is not actually THAT deep. So I like it overall, but I can see so many things you could improve before you even rebalance abilities or add new archetypes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

It's still all weird busy work. Nothing in half the systems actually moves the game on.

They should've just made it a visual novel.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

JamMasterJim posted:

You can do some very stupid poo poo with most archetypes (Strategist zones that make actions 0 and refill ap on top of other boosts, operative assassin hitting the single highest damage number possible, multiple operative bounty hinters stacking free exploits and sharing benefits from prey and getting free turns which is hilarious with psykers who bypass attack limitations,master strategist can make himself unkillable and all support bonuses make your arch militant even worse), but they require more effort than Arch militant going 'VRRRRR, I switch attacks 10 times in one turn thanks to officers , heroic acts and wildfire stacking bonuses'. So that is one factor
And because very few things are baked into the archetype progression, piecing them together is also extra hassle. It's like every class in pathfinder having to choose feats, spells and class abilities all together from a big pool, and depending on the level, you have to pick from a sub-pool. And you do it 50 times instead of 10 or so(since for many classes in pathjinder there are essentially empty levels)

I do like the system overall, but the progression and how many abilities of an archetype need combos with other archetypes or itself to really shine makes this more complicated than it needs to be when it is not actually THAT deep. So I like it overall, but I can see so many things you could improve before you even rebalance abilities or add new archetypes.

Yea I know how they work, like I can work with it and I "get it" it's just needlessly annoyingly fiddly and I just don't enjoy how they've done it. ESPECIALLY with operative. I don't want to do all this minor poo poo every single turn it's just tedious.
There's a space between Pathfinder 1's over-fiddle and 5th edition's complete lack of it and Rogue Trader has definitely landed closer to the pathfinder 1 way. And gone even further into it I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

alex314 posted:

Same. I would throw him to the Henrix, but ACAB and stuff. If I get a throne decision he gets beheaded though. No spiky rear end in a top hat crashes my home, sits in my chair and lives to tell the tale.

That was the one time I was willing to do that. Those guys are probably the worst people in the entire setting, which is really saying something. Though I guess some can get on a Path and join a Craftworld, and it'd take a rare person who can survive long enough to do that after having been raised in Commoraugh's environment.

I'm sad I couldn't get the Commissar to pull a heel-face turn by yelling at him. A little sad releasing Malice for saving my life also didn't have any effect