Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

Just finished the new 5-episode run of ATHF, and wow it is weird seeing it with "good" animation. The newly refreshed high-budget intro is :lol:

For some reason I fell off after Season 5 years and years ago and never bothered trying to watch the rest of the main run of seasons as they came out, so I caught up on all those just now too. Man, that is a show that I thought was losing steam when I dipped but I guess that was just a fluke or something because it kept steaming along with new bangers right on through to the end. It's such a strange time-capsule show that perfectly distills that 2000s [as] sense of humor in a way that I think of as the mainline flavor of irrepressible character-driven antics inheriting from SGC2C with its more dadaist late-night vibe; there were a lot of other shows that spun off from that trunk that had their own ideas about what was funny about it and often weren't really on the money, or appealed only to a very specific audience. And they often petered out pretty quickly. But ATHF sure seems to just be boundless in its wacko niche appeal, and able to keep being iconic in ways I hadn't seen coming.

yeah. I am genuinly surprised how well aqua teen hunger force has held up. like yeah there are some stuff that doesnt age as well, but most of that isnt even the bad humor but more the cellphone and pop up stuff. I think the show mostly handled mean and edgy humor really well by kinda always blatently showing everyone outside meatwad as kinda of self centered piece of poo poo. like there are some really dark hosed up jokes in that show that are totally blink and you will miss them and they work because they are blink and miss and because its carl saying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id have to dig it up, but it was big in the Devient art mock threads, basicaly steven universe got big and every artist copied sugars art real hard because it was the in thing. except people add weird amounts of detail and poo poo and always make the eyes water to do sugars crying effect but it looks like melting eggs.

on the other point
its less 90s and more a nostalgia wave for 00s/early10s stuff now too. maybe its just because i hang on weird artist discords but i see alot of nostalgia for those times more then 90s. digital circus is more dark comedy based vaguely edutainment games and shows from those times. HB/hazbin is very much the edgy zim/grim adventures/hot topic thing but with more meaningful character and no gen z nihilism uber mean humor.

https://twitter.com/LOWCOSTCOSPLAY/status/1733785911417331986

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I am genuinly surprised how well aqua teen hunger force has held up. like yeah there are some stuff that doesnt age as well, but most of that isnt even the bad humor but more the cellphone and pop up stuff. I think the show mostly handled mean and edgy humor really well by kinda always blatently showing everyone outside meatwad as kinda of self centered piece of poo poo. like there are some really dark hosed up jokes in that show that are totally blink and you will miss them and they work because they are blink and miss and because its carl saying them.

I think there are two things that make ATHF work really well:

One is that the voice acting is top notch. And even new ATHF stuff, it's like they never stopped doing the roles. Now granted, Shake's VA has been doing Molly McGee, and his voice on that show is just Shake. But still, you can put an old episode next to a new episode and the only difference you'll notice is they decided to do better animation.

The other thing that makes ATHF work so well I think, is that Shake, the biggest rear end in a top hat out of the crew, CONSTANTLY gets his comeuppance for being an rear end in a top hat. So it's fun to watch him being a piece of poo poo and then by the end it blows up in his face in some way. This doesn't happen to ONLY Shake of course, but he's certainly the one this happens to the most.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

One is that the voice acting is top notch. And even new ATHF stuff, it's like they never stopped doing the roles. Now granted, Shake's VA has been doing Molly McGee, and his voice on that show is just Shake. But still, you can put an old episode next to a new episode and the only difference you'll notice is they decided to do better animation.

The other thing that makes ATHF work so well I think, is that Shake, the biggest rear end in a top hat out of the crew, CONSTANTLY gets his comeuppance for being an rear end in a top hat. So it's fun to watch him being a piece of poo poo and then by the end it blows up in his face in some way. This doesn't happen to ONLY Shake of course, but he's certainly the one this happens to the most.

To be fair, based on seeing him in other things I'm pretty sure Dana Snyder only has one voice

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

To be fair, based on seeing him in other things I'm pretty sure Dana Snyder only has one voice

Well that's probably true, but it's a good one :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Well that's probably true, but it's a good one :v:

Indeed. Has he ever played a character that wasn’t a snarky rear end in a top hat to some degree though?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, and right up till the point where he gets that comeuppance, Shake is usually outrageously and relentlessly dedicated to his assholery. He'll be killing kittens or enslaving Meatwad or quadrupling down on whatever sadistic and manipulative thing he's doing, and he never hesitates for even one second to take it to the next level. The show is so fast-paced that it never even gives you that second to imagine that he might show a little remorse, before he's already off to the races on the next horrible twist to whatever scheme it is.

But then he gets decapitated or contracts some horrible full-body wasting disease or gets his eyes gouged out or whatever, and he may never admit he's lost, but there's no denying it, he's lost. And everyone pees on him and somehow you all feel better.

Carl's the same way; the episode where he's relentlessly horrible to his dying mother, she ends up regaining her strength through South American tribal medicine and giving him what-for. Just as one example.

For all its unpredictability and wackiness and universe-resetting hijinks, the show really does have a pretty consistent morality-tale template, doesn't it? Kinda weird how even such an edgy, avant-garde incarnation of our storytelling tradition still has that at its heart.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Larryb posted:

Indeed. Has he ever played a character that wasn’t a snarky rear end in a top hat to some degree though?

The Alchemist is a pretty good guy

the Ancient Sleeping Magi of Life Giving is just kind of a well-meaning weirdo I think

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah but that shows actually good apperently.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, and right up till the point where he gets that comeuppance, Shake is usually outrageously and relentlessly dedicated to his assholery. He'll be killing kittens or enslaving Meatwad or quadrupling down on whatever sadistic and manipulative thing he's doing, and he never hesitates for even one second to take it to the next level. The show is so fast-paced that it never even gives you that second to imagine that he might show a little remorse, before he's already off to the races on the next horrible twist to whatever scheme it is.

But then he gets decapitated or contracts some horrible full-body wasting disease or gets his eyes gouged out or whatever, and he may never admit he's lost, but there's no denying it, he's lost. And everyone pees on him and somehow you all feel better.

Carl's the same way; the episode where he's relentlessly horrible to his dying mother, she ends up regaining her strength through South American tribal medicine and giving him what-for. Just as one example.

For all its unpredictability and wackiness and universe-resetting hijinks, the show really does have a pretty consistent morality-tale template, doesn't it? Kinda weird how even such an edgy, avant-garde incarnation of our storytelling tradition still has that at its heart.

yeah shake is great because he is just a child like moron piece poo poo who legit doesnt understand what sex is but wants it because he is a teenager. yeah show never lets the characters get way with poo poo, mostly. again thats probably one of my favorite shows.

whats your favorite episode? mine is bookie or jet chicken

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also, Meatwad is one of the characters of all time. His voice especially you just have to wonder how they managed to end up at it, strangely tough to imitate as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Especially since it's the same guy who does Carl. Like :wtf:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats your favorite episode? mine is bookie or jet chicken

I'd have to sit with it a bit more before I could identify any particular standouts in the later seasons; bingeing it makes it all run together pretty hard. Those two are both excellent though.

If I'm being honest I'd probably still go for some of the iconic earlier ones, like the Broodwich. The last 5 seconds is just :discourse:

It's just been so many years I've been marinating in those. And like, the one where Carl's body gets replaced with eyeballs. His reaction when they show him the mirror, "whoawhoawhoawhoaWHOAWHOAAAHHHHGROSS" :lmao:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 28, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel ATHF has some very careful tricks to how well it works, and I think part of it is that it actually sticks to some of the old cartoon formulas. Never have more complexity than you need to.

The other trick is being dumb as hell in the best way.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 28, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with James Lee’s work but I’ve been following him for a bit now and I cannot for the life of me work out how he makes his stuff. It’s clearly a 3D rigged model of the character but it seems like an insane amount of work even for animation. My best guess is that he’s doing mocap and then doing all sorts of insane manipulation of the model, but that’s just my supposing. Or he could be masterful at physical….comedy? and editing. Idk.

Eg:

https://youtu.be/dJBEAZFP0aA?si=MhU7UVd7OVzgLt8X

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

i've actually been a bit tempted to join his patreon to find out how he does his wizardry, but i'm not really sure how i'd practically use that knowledge

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Wow Dan Harmon made another problematic cartoon I'm shocked shocked I say!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I miss Carl's stone cold lock of the century of the week, that was the best way to get my football news

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frylock walking on his fries is pretty cursed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Warbird posted:

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with James Lee’s work but I’ve been following him for a bit now and I cannot for the life of me work out how he makes his stuff. It’s clearly a 3D rigged model of the character but it seems like an insane amount of work even for animation. My best guess is that he’s doing mocap and then doing all sorts of insane manipulation of the model, but that’s just my supposing. Or he could be masterful at physical….comedy? and editing. Idk.

Eg:

https://youtu.be/dJBEAZFP0aA?si=MhU7UVd7OVzgLt8X

it's live action with Lots of editing

https://twitter.com/JamesLee03/status/1580941443971305472

https://twitter.com/JamesLee03/status/1638163154848063488

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 28, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that's tempting to go pay to watch up on. He absolutely has a 3D model of himself for some of his videos but good lord the amount of VFX stuff he must do.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel ATHF has some very careful tricks to how well it works, and I think part of it is that it actually sticks to some of the old cartoon formulas. Never have more complexity than you need to.

The other trick is being dumb as hell in the best way.

Haven't watched it in a while, but ATHF was absolutely masterful at developing a plot that you in no way expect but looking back, okay, gently caress, yeah, you can see how we got here.

Example:
Shake and Meatwad gently caress up planting Frylock's flowers
-> They discover an underground cavern with a cursed sandwich
-> Shake eats most of it anyway
-> Cursed voice gets pissed and tries to trick Shake into eating the sundried tomatoes
-> Shake refuses the tomatoes and skeleton bride
-> Cursed voice offers Shake a free lobotomy
-> Hard cut to lobotomized Shake eating the tomatoes and getting killed

It all makes perfect sense in progression and given what we know about the characters.
It's nuts.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
American Dad is also very good at keeping you from knowing where any given episode is going to go, especially the Christmas ones.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Haven't watched it in a while, but ATHF was absolutely masterful at developing a plot that you in no way expect but looking back, okay, gently caress, yeah, you can see how we got here.

Example:
-> Cursed voice gets pissed and tries to trick Shake into eating the sundried tomatoes

It all makes perfect sense in progression and given what we know about the characters.
It's nuts.

To be fair sundried tomatoes are pretty rancid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Example:

It's nuts.

its why i like jet chicken and rocket horse episode. like the whole thing is just a childlike moron writing about his made up super heroes and they are a bunch of assholes and it ends in botched surgery.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anytime I get a big sub I appreciate the bed of evil and lettuce.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The entire back and forth between Shake and Broodwich voice is like top 5 dialogue of all time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

It's just been so many years I've been marinating in those. And like, the one where Carl's body gets replaced with eyeballs. His reaction when they show him the mirror, "whoawhoawhoawhoaWHOAWHOAAAHHHHGROSS" :lmao:

Total Recarl is the episode that just occupies my brain. Meatwad saying "gentlemen... We can rebuild him" then smash cutting to Carl's head bungeed to a tree. Also Eyeball Carl saying "I'm coming for you fry-man!" then lurching over while screaming in agony. And of course Toy Dump Truck Carl with an eyeball for a tongue.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
We celebrate every Christmas and Thanksgiving with the Cybernetic Ghosts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Total Recarl is the episode that just occupies my brain. Meatwad saying "gentlemen... We can rebuild him" then smash cutting to Carl's head bungeed to a tree. Also Eyeball Carl saying "I'm coming for you fry-man!" then lurching over while screaming in agony. And of course Toy Dump Truck Carl with an eyeball for a tongue.

Also great in that it's about the one time where Shake makes a valid and logical point and Frylock realises he's right and concedes it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wegotussomemedicalwaste.com

Idk if Aquateen needs a dedicating quote posting thread but maybe we can bridge the Seinfeld quotes thread for a bit, not sure they'd even notice.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
To this day I can't hear anyone say "I want candy" without immediately thinking "BUBBLEGUM AND TAFFY"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's a whole era of rock I only know through Carl.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I don't neeeeed no instructions, to know how to rock!!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i wanna rock your body (til the break of dawn)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Business in kicking your rear end and let me tell you, business is booming. Im open for business. Buisness of giving you the business.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JosefStalinator posted:

To this day I can't hear anyone say "I want candy" without immediately thinking "BUBBLEGUM AND TAFFY"

DAMMIT

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I get it. It ain't making me laught, but I get it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It don't matter. None of this matters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That was fun. We had fun today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.