Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Argh, I know this one isn’t totally the games fault but an enemy empire declared war on us and swarmed me with 1,600 troops when I’m only able to field 80.

They easily steal my only town and my faction will only fight losing battles so I got my army wiped out and I’m basically put back to square one.

Yeah I can go around and recruit a bunch of random guys and train them back up, and maybe I’ll get another town somewhere a bit safer, but it really took the winds out of my sails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It's happened again, this point in open world games where I've spent the entire game doing side quests and now I'm ready for the game to end, but 40 hours in I'm really only at the beginning of the main plot still.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
speaking of ff games and red glows one thing i
would love in some form for ff16 is the dodge cue from nier automata bc for whatever reason i cant quite get the reflex to both chain high damage combos and avoid/parry incoming damage and so i switch between using the 'missed dodges become QTEs' accessory and the "spam square to auto-combo' accessory to make the combat feel a bit more fluid. i really loved
nier automata and ff16 clearly takes a lot of cues from it for its combat and is better for it. im even thinking about just switching on what looks like story mode for a while just bc while the combat is totally fine i feel more compelled by the story than any of the actual gameplay elements

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
One thing I don't really like about Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is that it doesn't reward you for overworld positioning or strategizing. A lot of games will give you a free round if you catch an enemy in the back and punish you if you get caught from behind. But not this game! It's completely random if the enemy gets a surprise attack, or if you do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's pretty much by nature never a deliberate thing, but something I hate every rare time it happens:

Unintentional sequence breaking. When I'm not even trying to screw with a game, and I still jump its rails, either because of a bug or because apparently they never thought like I do.

I'm currently in the Fire Temple in Tears of the Kingdom, which is essentially just a series of train-track-and-lever problems (I haven't found the one where I have to either let five people die or divert the track to kill just one). When one of those tracks sent me to a strangely dead end, my natural choice was to climb a conspicuously broken wall, which I thought was a perfectly reasonable spot for treasure or progress.

It turns out it brought me to a clearly unintended route into the room for the final puzzle... which then kinda hosed up the entire dungeon, because the fact it's basically all navigation and traversal means I'm now doing its puzzles backwards. And if I'd willingly decided to do that I'd probably be having fun and forgiving the janky results, but I just want to do some loving puzzles as they were designed, I don't wanna hackjob together a weird sideways faux-solution.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I get ya but you're playing waaaay the wrong game for that

weird sideways hackjobs are the future of AAA games

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

It's happened again, this point in open world games where I've spent the entire game doing side quests and now I'm ready for the game to end, but 40 hours in I'm really only at the beginning of the main plot still.

This exact thing is what basically made BG3 my favourite game that I'll probably never finish. Had a great time with it for dozens of hours, got to the point where I felt it'd be a good time to wrap things up, and it turns out I'm still at the very beginning of Act 3, which if anything seems to be as big as acts 1 and 2 put together.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Started playing 7 days to die, because my friend started a server. Got to the first quest giver and he is standing in front of a white panel. The text is also white, so I can read anything. Hopefully I can change something. Not home at the moment.
Also started the ascend. I feel like the game is just trying to waste my time. You move so slow, and the map size is way too big for what it is. Like they weren't comfortable with the game's length, so they just stretched everything out.
Edit: You can't even change the controls in this game. Who wants the main functions of a twin stick shooter on face buttons.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Happyimp posted:

Started playing 7 days to die, because my friend started a server. Got to the first quest giver and he is standing in front of a white panel. The text is also white, so I can read anything. Hopefully I can change something. Not home at the moment.
Also started the ascend. I feel like the game is just trying to waste my time. You move so slow, and the map size is way too big for what it is. Like they weren't comfortable with the game's length, so they just stretched everything out.
Edit: You can't even change the controls in this game. Who wants the main functions of a twin stick shooter on face buttons.

7dtd is hugely better on PC/keyboard+mouse. The console version is just barely playable

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Cleretic posted:

It's pretty much by nature never a deliberate thing, but something I hate every rare time it happens:

Unintentional sequence breaking. When I'm not even trying to screw with a game, and I still jump its rails, either because of a bug or because apparently they never thought like I do.

I'm currently in the Fire Temple in Tears of the Kingdom, which is essentially just a series of train-track-and-lever problems (I haven't found the one where I have to either let five people die or divert the track to kill just one). When one of those tracks sent me to a strangely dead end, my natural choice was to climb a conspicuously broken wall, which I thought was a perfectly reasonable spot for treasure or progress.

It turns out it brought me to a clearly unintended route into the room for the final puzzle... which then kinda hosed up the entire dungeon, because the fact it's basically all navigation and traversal means I'm now doing its puzzles backwards. And if I'd willingly decided to do that I'd probably be having fun and forgiving the janky results, but I just want to do some loving puzzles as they were designed, I don't wanna hackjob together a weird sideways faux-solution.
I sequence broke the lightning temple bad enough I'm surprised it even worked. Turns out you can do the entire thing without actually entering the temple normally. If you use Ascend in the first room at the bottom of the entry ramp it brings you right up into one of the later puzzle rooms, and when you get back to the center area it warps your assistant to you for a cutscene. Doesn't unlock any of the doors you'd use to get in, though!

You can also farm a truly ridiculous amount of gibdo ribs in that temple. Set up mirrors in the infinite spawn room to reflect the light into a triangle, then just go do something else for a while. They're not very useful as attachments, but they sell for a pretty good price.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

JackSplater posted:

You can also farm a truly ridiculous amount of gibdo ribs in that temple. Set up mirrors in the infinite spawn room to reflect the light into a triangle, then just go do something else for a while. They're not very useful as attachments, but they sell for a pretty good price.

They break in one hit so they're best used on Arrows

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

speaking of ff games and red glows one thing i
would love in some form for ff16 is the dodge cue from nier automata bc for whatever reason i cant quite get the reflex to both chain high damage combos and avoid/parry incoming damage and so i switch between using the 'missed dodges become QTEs' accessory and the "spam square to auto-combo' accessory to make the combat feel a bit more fluid. i really loved
nier automata and ff16 clearly takes a lot of cues from it for its combat and is better for it. im even thinking about just switching on what looks like story mode for a while just bc while the combat is totally fine i feel more compelled by the story than any of the actual gameplay elements

The Torgal/MagicBurst combo timing is a bit weird but think of it as being like a triple-to-double speed press of the button compared to a combo. Basically immediately press both the Torgal button and the Magic button after the last hit of a combo and whichever ones you hit correctly will trigger, so that'll help you hit the timing. Super pros hit magic burst after every hit but I just simultaneously hit dpadUp+Triangle after every combo and hoped for the best and it worked well enough for me.

Midgame there's an accessory that widens the dodge window and also gives you a burst of limitbreak and I recommend trying that instead of doing autododge or autocombo.

Parrying is nigh impossible, ignore, unless you're using a specific lategame thing that will be obvious as a parry tool.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF16

The best moves for parrying are the charged attack and the charged attack + jump (launcher) moves. They have really generous parry windows. Also Rift Slip increases your parry window by ridiculous amount because you are attacking at full speed while the enemy is stuck in slow motion for couple seconds.

The game doesnt tell you this but parrying reduces your ability cooldowns during the slowmo

Will o Wykes is probably the best skill in the game because it lets you do combos uninterrupted while it deflects damage.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Dec 26, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Now that I've gotten a little further into the game, here's another issue with Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince. Bosses kind of suck. Like, no in the sense that they're hard or anything, but just that they don't typically play by the rules like other encounters. Basically anything that's a boss will be more resistant to status effects, and outright immune to some such as stun or confusion; so it kind of sucks to deal with an encounter that, for example, spends two actions every turn mass sleeping, stunning, or generally debuffing your entire party or doing massive AOE damage and any recourse you typically have to deal with that, basically any and all control effects, just don't work flat out. It makes it borderline worthless to invest in those skills since you absolutely don't need them for random encounters, either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm still figuring out how stealth and entering combat works in BG3, so on occasion I'll open up a fight with my rogue, and no one else will enter combat with him. Sometimes this will get compounded by the enemy stunning, paralyzing or otherwise CC'ing him, locking me out of any action while the entire roster of enemies may get several turns to turn him into a fine red paste.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
My nostalgia for Dark Souls 1 has made me harsher on later soulslikes. I'm in a replay of the Dark Souls Remaster, and I've noticed there are a lot of details that aged poorly that I'd complain about in later souls games and soulslikes, but didn't remember Dark Souls was just as guilty of. There's a ton of mean spirited 'gently caress yous' and the game rarely plays by the rules it enforces on you, the exact stuff I complained DS2 had that felt like the B-team didn't 'get' about DS1 were there too.

I'm realizing Dark Souls wasn't one of my favorite games, Dark Souls up until about Anor Lando is one of my favorite games and there's a reason almost all of my replays stop around there.
Also gently caress if I'm gonna do those runs back to the bosses, I'm just savescumming from outside the fog gate.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Arrath posted:

I'm still figuring out how stealth and entering combat works in BG3, so on occasion I'll open up a fight with my rogue, and no one else will enter combat with him. Sometimes this will get compounded by the enemy stunning, paralyzing or otherwise CC'ing him, locking me out of any action while the entire roster of enemies may get several turns to turn him into a fine red paste.

No you actually want that to happen because you can still switch control to your characters that are out of combat. So if you get them to attack from stealth those enemies get hosed up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm finally giving Disco Elysium a second try after not really latching onto it back when it came out, and I'm really struggling to deal with its game overs and save system. It seems easy to get yourself into a game over state in the dialogue trees, but it just feels aggravating every time because it's so dialogue heavy, but in a way that doesn't lend itself to mashing A to skip forward when you're repeating everything after losing.

And the save system doesn't help. The first time I lost, the autosave was back in a separate previous area, and I had to go back and redo most of the conversations with everyone in the new area. Now I'm quicksaving before I do anything that seems important, and it's still aggravating how much dialogue there is to redo after a game over.

I'll still give it time, but it feels like the kind of repetition that turns me off of a game even when the actual writing and presentation are solid.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
You should do drugs

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Are there gameovers in Disco Elysium that don't very explicitly make it clear you're going down a bad path and give you a bunch of offramps besides not paying your room tab and the tie thing as soon as you start?
I thought even shooting yourself to prove you're in charge gave you a bunch of chances to chicken out, but talking to someone about it yesterday, they mentioned being locked into pulling the trigger after only 1 or 2 choices after borrowing Kim's gun, but they were also drunk and failed some rolls.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can use a healing item after taking fatal damage in dialogue, so it should only be a game over if you don't have any with you (and healing items are pretty common, I never ran out even without buying any)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm finally giving Disco Elysium a second try after not really latching onto it back when it came out, and I'm really struggling to deal with its game overs and save system. It seems easy to get yourself into a game over state in the dialogue trees, but it just feels aggravating every time because it's so dialogue heavy, but in a way that doesn't lend itself to mashing A to skip forward when you're repeating everything after losing.

And the save system doesn't help. The first time I lost, the autosave was back in a separate previous area, and I had to go back and redo most of the conversations with everyone in the new area. Now I'm quicksaving before I do anything that seems important, and it's still aggravating how much dialogue there is to redo after a game over.

I'll still give it time, but it feels like the kind of repetition that turns me off of a game even when the actual writing and presentation are solid.

there aren't that many game overs if you keep your health up, though it's completely possible to start with 1 hp in morale and vigor lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The one I got today seemed like it went unexpectedly fast from being mocked about my clothes to quitting my job and ending the game. I'm still early enough that I don't have a feel for how common they are or how they typically play out, it might just feel off after happening to hit multiple ones in quick succession. It isn't something I remember complaining about when I played it way back when, either.

e: I forget what stats I started with, I'll check when the switch isn't in use

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Hygiene posted:

The one I got today seemed like it went unexpectedly fast from being mocked about my clothes to quitting my job and ending the game. I'm still early enough that I don't have a feel for how common they are or how they typically play out, it might just feel off after happening to hit multiple ones in quick succession. It isn't something I remember complaining about when I played it way back when, either.

e: I forget what stats I started with, I'll check when the switch isn't in use

the trick (and it is a trick, so fair enough if it's annoying) is that your health/morale starts counting down and you can generally hit the health item button before it hits zero.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

My nostalgia for Dark Souls 1 has made me harsher on later soulslikes. I'm in a replay of the Dark Souls Remaster, and I've noticed there are a lot of details that aged poorly that I'd complain about in later souls games and soulslikes, but didn't remember Dark Souls was just as guilty of. There's a ton of mean spirited 'gently caress yous' and the game rarely plays by the rules it enforces on you, the exact stuff I complained DS2 had that felt like the B-team didn't 'get' about DS1 were there too.

I'm realizing Dark Souls wasn't one of my favorite games, Dark Souls up until about Anor Lando is one of my favorite games and there's a reason almost all of my replays stop around there.
Also gently caress if I'm gonna do those runs back to the bosses, I'm just savescumming from outside the fog gate.

At least you recognized it. I've been seeing this poo poo for years now, people will dunk on 2, 3, even elden ring for things that they praise Dark Souls for doing, or otherwise outright ignore.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
“DS1 kinda falls apart in the second half” isn’t exactly a blistering hot take these days, but it feels kinda weird all the same how much the interconnected map is praised when even ignoring Anor Londo giving you quick travel it kinda stops being a thing by Sen’s Fortress except as a quick way to/from the bottom of Blighttown so you can get to the Lordvessel section. Kinda wonder if the second half would be more polished if the levels were mostly their own thing like DS3/ER.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

sebmojo posted:

the trick (and it is a trick, so fair enough if it's annoying) is that your health/morale starts counting down and you can generally hit the health item button before it hits zero.

Yeah, DE uses Earthbound rules for HP, if you heal that poo poo before it clicks to zero then no harm no foul

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is why I never get around to the more popular games and opt for cheaper weirder things instead that no one's heard of - I'm not burnt out by hype and can go in with fresh eyes. I have a couple of games that I got for about £10 each on ps5 while getting stuff yesterday that I know literally nothing about and am excited to give a go.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Maybe this is why dark souls 2 is the best

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Last Celebration posted:

“DS1 kinda falls apart in the second half” isn’t exactly a blistering hot take these days, but it feels kinda weird all the same how much the interconnected map is praised when even ignoring Anor Londo giving you quick travel it kinda stops being a thing by Sen’s Fortress except as a quick way to/from the bottom of Blighttown so you can get to the Lordvessel section. Kinda wonder if the second half would be more polished if the levels were mostly their own thing like DS3/ER.

Technically the only reason for the Lordvessel to exist is because all four Lord Souls bosses strand you in a pit with no other way out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The loopbacks and unexpected joining-paths in DS1 were very good for the beginning of the game, and the shortcuts you can use throughout some of the later areas in the midgame are still very good, but almost every lordvessel area feels like it had one single linear path with a couple branches to poke your head into. I think it'd be a lot cooler if, instead of just seeing Demon Ruins from the Tomb of the Giants, you couls actually find a backway to get there.

That being said I also feel like a lot of the gently caress-you moments start with the Undead Parish and end at the Painted World/Anor Londo. By the time you're ready for lordvessel areas, you're so juiced up with good items + levels that nothing can hit quite the same as Capra Demon or the Silver Knight Archers

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baldur's Gate 3 really needs a Wait command for your party when you're walking around. Like in the military when you hold up a closed fist and the others know to stop. Having to split the party up and then individually guide each of them through some dangerous terrain is tedious but also if you come across something unexpected your doofus AI party members will get too close or stumble into things before you have a chance to stop them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lobok posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 really needs a Wait command for your party when you're walking around. Like in the military when you hold up a closed fist and the others know to stop. Having to split the party up and then individually guide each of them through some dangerous terrain is tedious but also if you come across something unexpected your doofus AI party members will get too close or stumble into things before you have a chance to stop them.

I’ve learned that I have to detach my characters during each fight because if I don’t then someone will come charging toward me over some dangerous terrain the moment the fight ends and have an accident.

Slamming the button to switch to turn based mode also works but I try to avoid that out of courtesy since I’m playing multiplayer.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If you press the group/separate button, G, then everybody should stop moving immediately.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And please don't path onto the trap when I tell you to disarm it for gently caress sake.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Despite being a soulslike in style if you die in Scars Above you have to rewatch the bits where the AI person leading you around gives you the messages while walking ahead, which makes replaying tricky bits a pain.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arrath posted:

And please don't path onto the trap when I tell you to disarm it for gently caress sake.

I have this problem in Rogue Trader a lot. I have no idea how so many games still let characters path onto revealed traps out of combat.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Arrath posted:

Every single trap in Neverwinter Nights. It's especially funny because the problem is, the spot they need to stand in order to disarm the traps was like a pixel away from the thing that would spring the trap, and so the thief would always run toward the trap, slow down, carefully approach it, then die.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

credburn posted:

Every single trap in Neverwinter Nights. It's especially funny because the problem is, the spot they need to stand in order to disarm the traps was like a pixel away from the thing that would spring the trap, and so the thief would always run toward the trap, slow down, carefully approach it, then die.

"Aye, it's done!" has stayed in my brain for 20 years because of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have this problem in Rogue Trader a lot. I have no idea how so many games still let characters path onto revealed traps out of combat.

It was so bad on BG3 release, I remember there being a ton of difficult terrain under the goblin camp/town that nobody would AI path around outside of combat, even if it was just a patch of difficult terrain in an otherwise open, freely-traversable space. Stop stepping in obvious sticky poo poo, Astarion! :argh:

Fifty Farts posted:

"Aye, it's done!" has stayed in my brain for 20 years because of that game.

These boots have seen everything

bawk has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Dec 30, 2023