Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fell Mood posted:

Hm. Hot out today.

That's called weather, not climate :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Argentum posted:

The continued social response to climate change will be "climate change isnt real, and if it is it isnt that bad, and if it is that bad, its not our fault, and if it is our fault, you deserved it and its a good thing"

Think of all the trade routes that will open up in the arctic!

We call it the Four Stage Strategy

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHYVDKGknMk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
pfft, my christmas wasn't brown. i couldn't see anything through the fog and rain

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Car Hater posted:

Global warming is going to save me a lot of money on food

:spergin: Well actually the growing scarcity will ensure that prices rise to meet what the consumer (you) can afford to pay, if anything you'll be spending more money to receive less until there's none to be had at all

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Dokapon Findom posted:

:spergin: Well actually the growing scarcity will ensure that prices rise to meet what the consumer (you) can afford to pay, if anything you'll be spending more money to receive less until there's none to be had at all

can’t spend money when you’re dead the ultimate savings tip

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is a patch of half-melted ice about 2 meters wide near my driveway. That counts as a white Christmas, right?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Dokapon Findom posted:

I can always eat lead :blastu:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Going to guess there’ll be Geo-engineering attempts by 2030, if not sooner

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

maybe we should go back to spewing dangerous chemicals to slow down the warming

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Scientists really need to post some actuarial tables for this "society" thing so I know the exact moment I can quit my job and just coast

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZH9t-4W4Y

i had a thick fog christmas so i guess that counts as white

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

argh its 6:30am and the humidity is 90% with a temp of 30c

gently caress this :rant:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

toggle posted:

It's winter, it's meant to be, wait... poo poo, what?!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

toggle posted:

Please tell me you live in the southern hemisphere...

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Please tell me you live in the southern hemisphere...

i do live in the southern hemisphere and i do not like it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Tropical mistmas is already kicking in

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I have started watching these compilations since they showed up in my recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt14zht9HZ0

In awe of these tractors and trucks configured to force through the largest possible volume of breathable oxygen and convert it into solid black carbon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey if it's coming out as unburned soot instead of fully oxidized that's actually less warming, right

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

Scientists have long known that this acceleration stems from a steep increase in greenhouse gas emissions
well why didn’t they tell anyone??

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Argentum posted:

We already passed the cooling off period a few weeks ago. Number only goes up from here. It's normal for it to get hotter and hotter every year!

lmao

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hey if it's coming out as unburned soot instead of fully oxidized that's actually less warming, right

doing a little geoengineering by hastily converting my fleet to intentionally produce the most obnoxious exhaust clouds possible

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Going to guess there’ll be Geo-engineering attempts by 2030, if not sooner

I'm already noticing a sort of "hahaha yeah that's dumb, unless?" tone about the idea, so yeah probably

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Real Mean Queen posted:

I'm already noticing a sort of "hahaha yeah that's dumb, unless?" tone about the idea, so yeah probably

It takes a dumb person to succeed with a dumb idea so I'm gonna go with next summer being so insane that Trump acknowledges it and makes a huge project by the best scientists to fix the weather part of his campaign platform.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Car Hater posted:

It takes a dumb person to succeed with a dumb idea so I'm gonna go with next summer being so insane that Trump acknowledges it and makes a huge project by the best scientists to fix the weather part of his campaign platform.

Hot new startup Rr (pronounced “airer”) drone-dumping a bunch of that boat byproduct that covid took away, CEO ignoring all calls from both candidates until one of them actually begs for a meeting on tv

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
how did COPE28 go by the way?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

starkebn posted:

literally not even worth mentioning.

it did its job: liberals get to reify their public image with vague empty platitude lipservice about 'renewables and electric vehicles' laundered through cope, and oil money got to keep flowing and everyone went home all the more richer

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

They say that we should be

“transitioning away from fossil fuels in energy systems, in a just, orderly and equitable manner, accelerating action in this critical decade, so as to achieve net zero by 2050 in keeping with the science”.

without agreeing to any action or roadmap to achieve that. A great victory because for the first time they contemplate the idea that we should move away from fossil fuels. wow! big win!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Surely there is some easy math of finding 1) the boundary of the most recent period to be equal to all total emissions beforehand (i.e. 1650-1990, 1990-present or whatever the actual split was to make it 50/50), 2) the time delay for the system to show temperature feedback from those emissions, and then we could find 3) whichever past year we would have needed to reach "net zero" to prevent calamitous warming as well as 4) how much actual additional warming we can expect based on what we've put into the system already and 5) what we would need to do as far as the number of gigatons of carbon to be pulling out of the system annually to restore balance (if only to get a sense of the magnitude/impossibility of the task). Surely the COPE28 people had all these numbers in front of them, and made their decisions based on this information?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doing climate math just makes you another climate expert to ignore

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I assume they shoot anyone who approaches the venue with even a pocket calculator

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

doing climate math just makes you another climate expert to ignore

That doesn't mean its not fun. You could scrawl it on a lecture hall chalkboard and circle "DOOM" hundreds of times for that mad professor feeling. You could put it on scraps of cardboard and yell at people from a street corner. Make a 48 hour timecube type website

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Dokapon Findom posted:

Surely there is some easy math of finding 1) the boundary of the most recent period to be equal to all total emissions beforehand (i.e. 1650-1990, 1990-present or whatever the actual split was to make it 50/50), 2) the time delay for the system to show temperature feedback from those emissions, and then we could find 3) whichever past year we would have needed to reach "net zero" to prevent calamitous warming as well as 4) how much actual additional warming we can expect based on what we've put into the system already and 5) what we would need to do as far as the number of gigatons of carbon to be pulling out of the system annually to restore balance (if only to get a sense of the magnitude/impossibility of the task). Surely the COPE28 people had all these numbers in front of them, and made their decisions based on this information?

1750: 278 ppm
1988: 350 ppm
2023: 422 ppm

We only need to undo the past 35 years, no biggie

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its funny you think of January 1st as a reset of sorts but not to our messed up planet

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

mistermojo posted:

its funny you think of January 1st as a reset of sorts but not to our messed up planet

It's kind of fitting. The thing about "new year, new me" is you can't run from yourself!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mistermojo posted:

actually that's a pretty good point, has anyone tried turning the planet off and on again?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/NucRocketMan/status/1740212601609654531

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
we're so hosed lol