Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrYenko posted:

None, because a C-130 can’t carry an Abrams.

There were experimental planes in WW2 fitted with 75mm guns and the like. They decided it wasn't practical, which shocks me to my core.

But imagine being in the first group to get strafed by that puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

B-25s with 75mm nose guns went well beyond the experimental stage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There were experimental planes in WW2 fitted with 75mm guns and the like. They decided it wasn't practical, which shocks me to my core.

But imagine being in the first group to get strafed by that puppy.

It wasn’t practical because it also shocked all the equipment on board to its core.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

All things being equal, for an airplane to take off in the shortest distance, is it better for the runway to slope uphill (like a "ski jump" aircraft carrier) to give the plane an altitude boost, or to slope downhill (like the carrier Hōshō, or the runway at Narsarsuaq) to give the plane a speed boost?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Powered Descent posted:

All things being equal, for an airplane to take off in the shortest distance, is it better for the runway to slope uphill (like a "ski jump" aircraft carrier) to give the plane an altitude boost, or to slope downhill (like the carrier Hōshō, or the runway at Narsarsuaq) to give the plane a speed boost?

Airspeed is king so the best way to take off quickly is to get going quickly. If you’re being pedantic (and who here isn’t) ski-jumps don’t decrease the takeoff distance, they just give you more time to accelerate yourself before you crash into the water. In a sense they’re worse since by pointing the plane upwards, it’s making it harder to accelerate by forcing the engine to fight gravity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The 6,004ft concrete Runway 06/24 is unique in that it has a severe uphill slope landing to the northeast. The beginning of the runway, closest to the water, sits at an elevation of 11ft, while the far end rises at a 1.68% slope to 112ft.

Severe!

Anyway, while you don’t want a ski jump, you would prefer that the runway level off for a short while before you desire to rotate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Powered Descent posted:

Drawing on those contraptions to race marbles, one down a flat slope and another down an undulating slope, I'd think the best option to minimize horizontal runway distance is first a big downhill bit, then an upward slope to convert the gained energy into upward velocity.

Not a practical design, but probably the best if STO is your absolute priority.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

dupersaurus posted:

In a sense they’re worse since by pointing the plane upwards, it’s making it harder to accelerate by forcing the engine to fight gravity.

They would only be worse if aerodynamic lift at ski-jump AoA was the same as if flat. You can end up at a speed such that aimed engines downward, your lift and AoA plus thrust is fine, but you would crash if just leaving the edge of the ramp with an AoA dictated by landing gear alone.

See also: tall nose struts, the Brit F-4 gear, etc.

For shortest horizontal distance without worry for vertical distance just drop your planes nose straight down out of a mega tower or airship.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think we’re all forgetting those WWII “we put wings on a loving tank” gliders and that’s just sad.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I never forget the aero-gavin

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warbird posted:

I think we’re all forgetting those WWII “we put wings on a loving tank” gliders and that’s just sad.

A Hamilcar pouts quietly in the corner.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

So, sounds like Ukraine is going to have F16s within the next couple months.

What's the best guess on what effect they're going to have?
Russians doing less sorties? Or go absolutely whole hog on viper hunting with sams?

toss bombing with JDAMs and try to shoot down drones and cruise missiles

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcb-IOGowjg

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

That is a beautiful plane...

...was

That was a beautiful plane

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That’s such a jerry Wagner thing to do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Switching to the secondary stopway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Everybody wants to pretend they're a Southwest pilot landing at Midway in a blizzard.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

That's not gone well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The big lesson in that video is the trick question the chief pilot liked to ask students on their pre-solo phase check.

Q: "At what stage in the landing process are you fully committed to landing and unable to go around?"
A: _____________________________never_____________________________

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

The big lesson in that video is the trick question the chief pilot liked to ask students on their pre-solo phase check.

Q: "At what stage in the landing process are you fully committed to landing and unable to go around?"

After you hit the fence seems too late.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

They should also accept “you are landing at Courcheval” or “after propulsion system failure”.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

A: when the thrust reversers deploy

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A: When I turn onto the taxiway

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

when the landing gains the prefix "crash-"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ALT 0 SPD 0, presumably.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

When "Danger Zone" starts playing in my head

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
That driver was totally on their phone up until the moment of impact.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Groda posted:

That driver was totally on their phone up until the moment of impact.

Why do you say that?

Street view from the 40mph speed limit parkway next to the runway from which the plane overran. It's less than 50 feet from end of runway to being inside the lane of car traffic. Not the shoulder of the road, but fully inside the car lane.

About 100 feet for the plane to jump the median and cross the opposite direction of traffic.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 28, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

from a little ways back, but

howitzer? i burly knew er!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

They should also accept “you are landing at Courcheval” or “after propulsion system failure”.

Dead stick's the only one I can think of (besides Courchevel)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Lukla/Tenzing-Hillary as well

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Infinotize posted:

Mountain goat track to the danger zone.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Infinotize posted:

Man thats a cool airport.

Reminds me of flying into Ecuador. Large commercial aircraft on 5000ft runways at 8000+ ft PA. Spent 45 minutes extra at the gate because they had to unload cargo flowers as it was warmer than expected.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Why unload, numbers always have safety margin. Use entire runway comrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyvY2GK9B3M

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
We have Smirnoff!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There was a youtube series years and years ago where a dude took the 10 hardest landings in the world and spent a video going over the procedures for each one then a video flying the approach. It’s what got me into flight sims, back in the day.

Anyways, this is insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tC1h1ZCuV0

Also it’s a busy airport because it’s a massive tourist trap town with heavily restricted hours of operation.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anyways have some bad decision making re: go arounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7eBmi1Lt8

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
We had a check airman fry a pair of engines by doing a go-around after a bounced landing.

Specifically, the Q400 has an "oh poo poo!" power setting where you can push the power levers through a detent to get about 20% more power out of the engines, but since that's accomplished by telling the FADEC to ignore a lot of the thermal limits it usually follows, it's not terribly healthy for the engines.

In this case, the airplane bounced on landing at an airport surrounded by terrain, and the check airman put the engines into "oh poo poo" power on the go-around, left them there for about 10 minutes, and then didn't bother telling anyone what had happened.

Maintenance only found out after a routine download and analysis of the engine data from that airplane a few days later, and apparently the data was so bad that Pratt & Whitney wouldn't allow the airplane to be flown again on those engines, so maintenance got to do a double engine, gearbox, and propeller swap, outdoors, in Montana, in the winter.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Czech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_pilot