Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is a minor thing but I wonder why my Chromebook constantly decides for itself that I don't actually want to write within the sentence or paragraph I'm composing. The cursor routinely skips around the body of text I'm working on for no real reason at all. Searching for it confirms that this happens a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Aren’t all the streaming services losing money? Or at least have been for a long time.

Netflix is profitable, but still in debt.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a minor thing but I wonder why my Chromebook constantly decides for itself that I don't actually want to write within the sentence or paragraph I'm composing. The cursor routinely skips around the body of text I'm working on for no real reason at all. Searching for it confirms that this happens a lot.

I had a Dell 9320 laptop with an over-sensistive, or possibly shorted trackpad that would cause this to happen. It was so infuriating that I eventually put it in a drawer and never used it again. It's still there, actually.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sri.Theo posted:

Aren’t all the streaming services losing money? Or at least have been for a long time.

Actually delivering the service is dirt cheap, making new shows and movies is insanely expensive.

They're paying Adam Sandler $250 million, Stranger Things costs $30 million an episode, etc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I had a Dell 9320 laptop with an over-sensistive, or possibly shorted trackpad that would cause this to happen. It was so infuriating that I eventually put it in a drawer and never used it again. It's still there, actually.

This has been the culprit for me with every laptop I've ever owned, but it got worse when laptops decided to get all sleek with the border-less trackpads so you couldn't tell easily if your palm was touching it or not.

Twerk from Home posted:

Actually delivering the service is dirt cheap, making new shows and movies is insanely expensive.

They're paying Adam Sandler $250 million, Stranger Things costs $30 million an episode, etc.

"Prestige" TV/Content was a mistake.

Crain fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 28, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Spotify is in the exact same boat. Delivering the service costs pennies, they pay musicians a pittance, but $200 million to Joe Rogan means they aren't in great shape.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think I'm gonna cut Prime and Netflix out this year. I don't even order from Amazon all that much so the perks aren't really worht it either. There's tons of free poo poo out there and even just renting something I really want to see is gonna be cheaper. I know I don't watch 30 bucks a month or content a month for a full year. Only downside might be a series I want to see but those are few and far between.

HBO Max gives me the best value for my dollar so I'll keep that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Do you have tap-to-click on? Definitely gotta turn that off.

While we're on the subject, why the hell does Photoshop defualt to the Feather field constantly, making it impossible to hit a hotkey without getting an error

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Crain posted:

This has been the culprit for me with every laptop I've ever owned, but it got worse when laptops decided to get all sleek with the border-less trackpads so you couldn't tell easily if your palm was touching it or not.

I think there's a setting on a lot of laptops to disable the touchpad while you're typing. Helps a lot if you rest your palms exactly where the touchpad is while typing.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Twerk from Home posted:

Spotify is in the exact same boat. Delivering the service costs pennies, they pay musicians a pittance, but $200 million to Joe Rogan means they aren't in great shape.
Who could have possibly known that was a bad idea?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I still, every so often, am shocked that the NewsRadio cast member who started a cult was Joe and not Andy Dick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Do you have tap-to-click on? Definitely gotta turn that off.

While we're on the subject, why the hell does Photoshop defualt to the Feather field constantly, making it impossible to hit a hotkey without getting an error

I'll check those settings out. thanks

Long time Photoshop user here. Wondering what you mean here?

I get you, though. Just about every default setting Adobe uses is the exact opposite of what I or anyone else would probably prefer. Adobe stopped caring about their users once they went to the subscription model and, for years, seemed to enjoy making my job actively harder with every new, shiny version. Especially since, for whatever reason, they feel obligated to release those new, updated versions every loving year whether it's needed or not - which is an issue for a lot of software actually.

Just fix the poo poo that's broken and leave the poo poo that works alone then sit back and count money. Google does this a lot too with my aforementioned Chromebook. Updates for no real reason. Xbox does it. Phone does it.

I remember when they and Pantone changed ALL of the color builds for their swatches so ANYTHING we reprinted had a noticeable color shift. THey also like to change the "font engine" which resulted in older files just randomly re-flowing text for no loving reason whatsoever. It's a HUGE problem when you're updating or reprinting a 112 page catalog or something and and none of the text breaks are consistent; often overflowing onto the next page or just cutting off entirely.

They also still do poo poo like add the "registration" black swatch. No one ever really needs it and the only ones that do are professionals who know what it does. What winds up happening is that ametures just see that color and decide it's a good idea to use it to fill all the text in the book layout. Anyone that would EVER need that swatch would just go ahead and build it but even print shops never really need it for anything.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 28, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

They also still do poo poo like add the "registration" black swatch. No one ever really needs it and the only ones that do are professionals who know what it does. What winds up happening is that ametures just see that color and decide it's a good idea to use it to fill all the text in the book layout. Anyone that would EVER need that swatch would just go ahead and build it but even print shops never really need it for anything.

As someone who's never worked in a printing house, could you explain to me why that's a bad thing?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neito posted:

As someone who's never worked in a printing house, could you explain to me why that's a bad thing?

Let's see. Printing uses 4 colors (CMYK) like in your printer.

"registration" is a color built with 100% of all 4 colors used in offset printing. You want text and just about anything that's not a large field of black to only print with JUST the 100% black coverage/build. By and large, you rarely want ANY of your color builds to add up to anything over 300%. The swatch/color I mentioned is used to align 4 different plates (again: cyan, yellow, magenta and black) and will be used for marks outside the "live" print area so that the pressman can get the printing plates all hitting the paper in the correct alignment.

It'll look like this

Those "crosshairs" are what the press man uses to get everything basically lined up properly. Ametures use that swatch because it looks black and that have no idea what it does. So say you have some 9 point text and some designer colors it with:

C: 100%
M: 100%
Y: 100%
K: 100%

which is what that color build is.

Now you've got all the ink that's even possible to go on a page being used for very tiny, sharp fonts/texts. Unless the press aligns these perfectly, it will blur because aligning printing plates the accurately is next to impossible

Hope that made sense.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Long time Photoshop user here. Wondering what you mean here?

I'm not near my computer now, but I think it defaults to the Move tool, and the Feather box in the top toolbar somehow always gets selected and if I push Z or whatever, instead of switching to the Zoom tool it fills in the Feather box with a Z, and then throws up an error saying that Z isn't a valid value. It drives me nuts, probably me just accidentally hitting tab again after cmd+tabbing to the window or something, but it happens at least once during any given Photoshop session and I can't find anyone else online talking about it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I'm gonna cut Prime and Netflix out this year. I don't even order from Amazon all that much so the perks aren't really worht it either. There's tons of free poo poo out there and even just renting something I really want to see is gonna be cheaper. I know I don't watch 30 bucks a month or content a month for a full year. Only downside might be a series I want to see but those are few and far between.

HBO Max gives me the best value for my dollar so I'll keep that.

Subscribe to one at a time, as needed. When you finish watching the stuff you wanted on one service then unsubscribe and switch to another service to watch whatever has accumulated there since last time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BiggerBoat posted:

Let's see. Printing uses 4 colors (CMYK) like in your printer.

"registration" is a color built with 100% of all 4 colors used in offset printing. You want text and just about anything that's not a large field of black to only print with JUST the 100% black coverage/build. By and large, you rarely want ANY of your color builds to add up to anything over 300%. The swatch/color I mentioned is used to align 4 different plates (again: cyan, yellow, magenta and black) and will be used for marks outside the "live" print area so that the pressman can get the printing plates all hitting the paper in the correct alignment.

It'll look like this

Those "crosshairs" are what the press man uses to get everything basically lined up properly. Ametures use that swatch because it looks black and that have no idea what it does. So say you have some 9 point text and some designer colors it with:

C: 100%
M: 100%
Y: 100%
K: 100%

which is what that color build is.

Now you've got all the ink that's even possible to go on a page being used for very tiny, sharp fonts/texts. Unless the press aligns these perfectly, it will blur because aligning printing plates the accurately is next to impossible

Hope that made sense.

I invented a feature for my workflow’s preflight stack whereupon not just registration color (AKA Separation:All), but “malformed rich blacks” would all get converted either to 100%K or a user-specified rich black depending on the object type and how much undercolor it has.

Was pretty slick; you could make it so no matter how dumb the customer was you’d always get 100%K linework and text while large shapes could still be rich black, and then it’d only be the one you want (e.g. 40/30/30/100). It could also tell if you had a slightly bad undercolor and wanted it converted to 100%K versus a lot of undercolor and therefore going to rich black.

Fixing separation:All by itself is very easy, but doing the wizardry to fix bad color mixes across multiple color spaces took some trickery. That feature sold upgrades by itself. That and my automatic bump color/dieline generation features were probably my biggest mark on the print industry and I’ll never get the credit for them. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What is a 'rich black' / what does blending the other colours in achieve that K on its own does not?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

What is a 'rich black' / what does blending the other colours in achieve that K on its own does not?

A darker, more solid, dense and heavier black on the printed page. It's simply MORE ink. Think: several coats of paint maybe.

Traditional offset printing uses 4 colors, one of which is black. A 100% black ink color can only get so dark. Think of a b&w newspaper versus a magazine like Rolling Stone or National Geographic. A "rich black is usually used for large, solid areas of black color to make it more dense and uses something like 100% clack coverage with a mixture of the other inks (cyan, yellow and magenta), usually something like 100%blk, 30%cyan, 25%yellow and 30% magenta or something close depending on the paper/printing press, etc.

Makes large, solid areas of black color..well...more rich and heavy on the page.

You can see it a lot in old comic books where yellows, cyan and reds would "bleed" into the solid black areas and mix to form a darker color.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is “None.” None more black.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Platystemon posted:

It’s like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is “None.” None more black.

Blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

It’s also the answer to “why does my color printer need color ink to print black and white?” Because mixing black is generally pretty weak as far as density goes and color management automatically adds undercolor to make it look better. A monochrome printer uses black ink or toner that’s specifically darker because it doesn’t have to mix with other colors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So 100% is the maximum amount of ink a plate can transfer, rather than the maximum the paper can absorb? And you can safely go over 100% by hitting the same area with multiple plates?
Seems like you could save money on ink by using a 5-plate press with two K plates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The light absorption of an area of 200% K is different and less than the light absorption of an area of 100% K plus 30% each of C, Y, and M.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ink is translucent. Draw a blob of a solid yellow with a marker on top of a piece of paper, then go over it again with cyan or magenta and they will mix. The printing process is doing exactly that.

Black ink is also translucent and can mix with the other colors. You can make a warm black or cool black by mixing red or blue with them. To keep it from being mixed in and getting washed out with the layers of color beneath it, you have to layer it on thicker if you want text to stand out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A similar principle is at play when people are like “why is a square of color considered ‘modern art’” and it’s because the creation and application of pigment doesn’t translate well through screen or print, so you literally can’t see what’s special about it without seeing it in person. Screen color and process color can represent and approximate most colors, but not all colors as we see them in the real world. Similarly, different camera films and photo printing processes have different qualities to them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

The Lone Badger posted:

So 100% is the maximum amount of ink a plate can transfer, rather than the maximum the paper can absorb? And you can safely go over 100% by hitting the same area with multiple plates?
Seems like you could save money on ink by using a 5-plate press with two K plates.

No, the way to save money is to use a devicelink profile with an aggressive gray component reduction to replace mixtures of CMY with just K. Two black plates would be a waste of plates in most scenarios (unless you specifically need a double hit of a certain color).

A rich black (or for spot colors a double hit which requires a second plate) is generally used only when needed.

The substrate itself also usually has a maximum ink density it can take without ripping, picking, or causing other problems, and it’s generally lower than you think. Most sheetfeds tend to be in the 300% ballpark with webs even lower than that. And then you get stretch on the paper which can vary depending on the distribution of the ink and water.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I for one appreciate the printer talk.

Now do dead color matching.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just use the color laser printer at work.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

withak posted:

I just use the color laser printer at work.

Color laser printers are sorcery and I will not hear any arguments likewise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man...YOuTube really REALLY wants me to turn on my search history right now. There's not even a confirm button for "yes, I know it's off, assholes". Just a reminder window letting me know that they can't send me crappy suggestions.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah I noticed that change recently too. They did this with android, slowly made turning off things more and more a hindrence intentionally.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
newpipe doesn't seem to give a poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BiggerBoat posted:

Man...YOuTube really REALLY wants me to turn on my search history right now. There's not even a confirm button for "yes, I know it's off, assholes". Just a reminder window letting me know that they can't send me crappy suggestions.

This and the “ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube” have strong substitute teacher energy.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Some midlevel executive is being told that Number must go up, so they are doing whatever they can to meet that target.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Platystemon posted:

This and the “ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube” have strong substitute teacher energy.

I remember a substitute teacher, must have been 20 years ago at this point, who thought she was so clever. told us, at the start of the lesson, all the things she would not tolerate and we must absolutely not do under any circumstances.

Suffice to say, the list was so exhaustive it gave us multiple ideas, and I think we managed to hit all of them that didn't involve actual felonies.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/JonLamArt/status/1741545927435784424

If you actually understand Midjourney, this is all pretty obvious when it comes to how it functions. But this still matters because it makes it so, so, so much easier to prove these things in the legal system. Now, instead of having to throw down dozens of pieces of evidence to show they were intentionally feeding art from specific artists and ignoring copyright and knew they were ignoring copyright, you can point to the discord and slack logs and say the devs admitted it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They just grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down too, there's at least one pseudonymous artist in there that's actually a collective, which if they were serious about doing their homework they would have either excluded or properly credited each piece to its actual author.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't see how that's a gotcha, they've been openly using copyrighted material from the start. The argument they were always expected to use in court is that it doesn't matter.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

I don't see how that's a gotcha, they've been openly using copyrighted material from the start. The argument they were always expected to use in court is that it doesn't matter.

It's a huge gotcha because the "It doesn't matter" argument hinges on the idea that if the art is just part of a large amorphous training set, then it dissolves and diffuses in the model's weight in a way that could be compared to a regular human being influenced by viewing art at a gallery.

Building an explicit catalogue or artists with a stated goal of proving an optimal UX around reproducing their work shows that even if you buy that line of reasoning, it's still being argued in bad faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Aramis posted:

It's a huge gotcha because the "It doesn't matter" argument hinges on the idea that if the art is just part of a large amorphous training set, then it dissolves and diffuses in the model's weight in a way that could be compared to a regular human being influenced by viewing art at a gallery.

Building an explicit catalogue or artists with a stated goal of proving an optimal UX around reproducing their work shows that even if you buy that line of reasoning, it's still being argued in bad faith.

The "it doesn't matter" argument largely hinges on how Google Books turned out. Artists got credit there, but Google still built a copyright ignoring text vacuum that didn't even transform the inputs, but outright spat out parts of it verbatim in response to a database query. Then they used the platform for ad revenue and to push their own book distribution services in direct competition with the existing book industry. ~Fair use~

These details might end up mattering, there's a lot more pressure this time around. But, notably, not from the big IP holders.

This isn't a gotcha moment, everyone knows that they're putting copyrighted material into the machine and that it's probably tagged appropriately.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 2, 2024