Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't think I'm at 30 yet, but close to it. Does that mean you can't fill out the whole mastery upgrade map then? That's disappointing if so.

You can't, no, it forces you to actually make some decisions on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I got used to the game difficulty post 0.2.0 and pre 0.2.1, but the new stuff is nice and welcome. Game is in a good spot, even if it lacks the depth in terms of pathing of other games (mostly thinking Isaac), but it's now mechanically very sound with a lot of different options - kind of excited to see where he'll take the game next. Definitely feel like a steal since I got it before the price hike (like waaaaaay before) but drat is it currently just a good and fun game to pop a run in and forget about everything else.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i can quit whenever i want, ok

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Reoxygenation posted:

I got used to the game difficulty post 0.2.0 and pre 0.2.1, but the new stuff is nice and welcome. Game is in a good spot, even if it lacks the depth in terms of pathing of other games (mostly thinking Isaac), but it's now mechanically very sound with a lot of different options - kind of excited to see where he'll take the game next. Definitely feel like a steal since I got it before the price hike (like waaaaaay before) but drat is it currently just a good and fun game to pop a run in and forget about everything else.

:same:

I've been begging the guy behind the Tiny Rogues soundtrack on YouTube to release it on Steam as DLC so I can throw more money at him and he hearted my comment, so here's hoping! :homebrew:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

i can quit whenever i want, ok

You can disable at least the mini health bar on top of the main character.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought this was op

then I found this???

edit: and yeah, soul scarf is totally broken now, with the recent changes of the last update. 20 soul hearts? easy! 25, more? doable too!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 28, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I just had the nuttiest run I've ever had.

Got a perk that multiplied my companions' stat bonuses depending on how many I had. Then I got a Piggy Bank, which gave me +200% damage if I had 50 gold. And then a perk that translated each point of dex directly to Lucky Hit chance.

Literally everything died in seconds, Death included.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, the game is very swingy. Yes, you are supposed to use the dice to compensate the RNG, but even with them, the difference between a bad run and a good run (never mind a crazy good run that happens from time to time) is like day and night. I wonder if for example rooms should have 3 doors instead of 2 to make thing less swingy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turin Turambar posted:

Honestly, the game is very swingy. Yes, you are supposed to use the dice to compensate the RNG, but even with them, the difference between a bad run and a good run (never mind a crazy good run that happens from time to time) is like day and night. I wonder if for example rooms should have 3 doors instead of 2 to make thing less swingy.

That, plus the room RNG needs a bit tweaking. There's literally no loving point in giving me a "recharge a flask" as one of my first two doors. I just landed in the dungeon, there's no way for me to have lost any health yet!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

3 room choices has been confirmed to be on the way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 28, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That, plus the room RNG needs a bit tweaking. There's literally no loving point in giving me a "recharge a flask" as one of my first two doors. I just landed in the dungeon, there's no way for me to have lost any health yet!

One of the Cinder difficulty modifiers has you start at 1 health with no flask charges or soul hearts.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its pretty straightforward to get wins now with the egregious scarf abuse you can do at the bonfire. I've got a dozen wins in a row at cinder 4 now and I'm not saying this to brag (cinder 4 is not much of a brag) I'm saying it because you do tend to have enough control over your runs to get strong enough. I had a miserable knight run where I didnt get a single dice or arcade machine offered to me the entire time and it was still a win just because there are so many ways to ensure you get big enough.

Are highrolls way easier and more fun? Sure absolutely but the game truly deeply screwing you is very rare at least once you get some metaprogression filled out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Even without soul scarf abuse the base level difficulty just isn't really hard enough to make RNG a serious concern. There's a difference between "the RNG won't give me the thing I want" and "the RNG won't give me enough things to win" and the game is a lot more manageable if you're willing to lean into the things it gives you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

honestly i feel like adding the bonfires to the start of each floor was major overkill (but then i've been playing since 0.1.0, so)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Right after a major content patch, there's just going to be a lot of overcorrection in terms of game balance. You make big changes because then it's easier to tell if you've gone too far or not far enough. I'm sure that there'll be further balance changes to come. If the bonfire is overkill, for example, then it could always just get some price inflation.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I find that going in without a preconceived notion of what you want your build to be is a big ticket toward success. Take all 3 stats, don't chase sets, pick talents that are loadout-agnostic unless you already have the loadout, don't judge weapons based on rarity, use red dice when the offered rewards are consumables you don't need, prioritize TTK over survivability, prefer weapons that need minimal aiming. At this point I generally avoid most chest rewards too - blood chests can still be worth it if the alternative isn't stats or consumables you do need, or special rooms like events or pawn shops or whatever. But most equipment-granting chests will drop things you don't need.

It doesn't feel swingy at all to me, especially in comparison to how it felt early in the 0.2 beta before improved weighting was introduced. It will generally throw things at you that are good for your build unless you have some hyperspecialized build that relies on a specific affliction or whatever - don't do those builds unless you already have the equipment you need for it. But having a wider build that's capable of using more stuff helps a lot.

I feel like chasing survivability is a trap, though it's nice when you pick it up incidentally. Souls spent on the bonfire are souls not spent on the extremely good rewards found in alignment shops. Rooms that grant survivability increases are nice as long as they're not competing with stats, or infusions for your perma-infusion build, or whatever. The starting dice gift is a pretty hefty thing to pass up in favor of the scarf since early red dice will let you roll more stat rooms and gain at least one full level per floor early on, which is an enormous boon.

Though to be fair I say this in the context of having 30 metaprogression points and there's some metaprog stuff that explicitly improves RNG weighting toward the types of talents/weapons you want, and in the context of having the alignment shops unlocked which provides lots of strong power-scaling options that aren't readily available before that point.

e: I think it's best to look at non-weapon/charm equipment in general as "nice to have but not a priority" for most classes. Stats, talents, and an appropriate weapon are all you "need" and I often end runs with equipment slots still empty, or sometimes even totally naked if I take something that reduces equip load capacity. If you see something that helps your build, by all means grab it, but don't rely on or chase after specific pieces of armor and don't worry if you don't have boots or gloves or whatever. Charms are always my choice when available as boss rewards, or pets if I don't have a good one already, because they tend to provide fairly build-agnostic stats. There are some exceptions to this, like quivers being worth chasing if you're using bows/crossbows and don't have a good one.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 28, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

honestly i feel like adding the bonfires to the start of each floor was major overkill (but then i've been playing since 0.1.0, so)

I don't know that it really changes all that much balancewise, those souls are usually spent better elsewhere anyhow. It mostly just helps ease in newer players, especially before they unlock the alignment shops and have very little use for souls anyhow.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The attuning is kind of crazy. You can do a lot of equipment swapping especially on the last three floors where you get free attunes before and after every boss. There's also ofc holding your 40 souls from floors 10-12 and then dumping them into soul scarf to get 8 soul hearts before your final boss.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Maybe soul scarf should be locked to a particular class or something then. Seeing as how every fourth post here is about how good it is and all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Being able to load up on soul hearts has mitigated every lovely start I've had so far because it at least gives me some wiggle room while I try to find something better to use. Before this update it really was just 'use your skills to not get hit as much' but it seems a lot easier now as long as you know you can get 2 hearts after every boss if you switch to the scarf, attune, drink, then refill at every bonfire. I think it's good to make it more accessible in that regard but it does feel like an overcorrection to me that'll likely get another balance pass or two. Or just make the soul scarf worse or tied to a class because it's just too good to not take with this new update.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe soul scarf should be locked to a particular class or something then. Seeing as how every fourth post here is about how good it is and all.
Most of those posts are mine I'll admit. I think it was too strong but could have stayed under the radar in the previous patch but needs some kind of change in a world with bonfires because on top of being amazingly good just getting the soul heart -> damage trait at any point in the game makes you win.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Game really got easier over the weekend, huh.
Did my first run on primal death since the beta ended, and ended up with 3 rows of various health. And I wasn't even using the scarf.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

The attuning is kind of crazy. You can do a lot of equipment swapping especially on the last three floors where you get free attunes before and after every boss. There's also ofc holding your 40 souls from floors 10-12 and then dumping them into soul scarf to get 8 soul hearts before your final boss.

True, although I think in practice it makes less difference than you might think. At lower difficulties you won't actually need the hearts and at higher difficulties the opportunity cost of not taking a more frontloaded starting package to get your run rolling faster might outweigh the advantage you get from scarf. It probably does need some change at this point but I think the range of runs that it will turn from a loss to a win is probably not that huge.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What exactly are you using that you're swapping equipment for the boss room? I pretty much never touch attunement unless I have Tyler's Robe.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think it's a great onboarding/ramp-up thing to help people get accustomed to the game, but once you get a feel for putting builds together it just becomes unnecessary to buy a bunch of hearts because it's almost always possible to put something together that deletes bosses before they get a chance to hit you more than once or twice.

Plus it's cool for something other than overwhelming dps to be viable I suppose.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 28, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

What exactly are you using that you're swapping equipment for the boss room? I pretty much never touch attunement unless I have Tyler's Robe.
I was taking the magus set on and off on one run (ie +magic find in general). You can also have two shields with 3 armor each and switch from one to the other at the boss (though annoyingly block only restores on floor change for the shield you have equipped). Theres also +boss damage stuff that often has high attune costs and you can take them on and off pre and post bosses near endgame.

But mostly its soul scarf.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

I just had a run where I ended up getting 102 strength + an S/S/S scaling bow + the trait that lets strength scaling also count for dex scaling. I'm not entirely sure how the math ends up on that last one, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Zjh2a4HWQ

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Captain Flame Guy posted:

I just had a run where I ended up getting 102 strength + an S/S/S scaling bow + the trait that lets strength scaling also count for dex scaling. I'm not entirely sure how the math ends up on that last one, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Zjh2a4HWQ

I got 100 dex and double buffs from dex with movement speed increases attack speed, then the set with increased minimum roll damage based on dex. idk how the math works when the minimum roll is higher than the max roll

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Captain Flame Guy posted:

I'm not entirely sure how the math ends up on that last one, actually.

If I'm reading the door-to-next-room damage predictions right, if you pick up a meat for a point of STR, you do indeed get X damage increase, where X is (STR+(STR+DEX))

(edited for clarity)

John Lee fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 29, 2023

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Anyone know the solution for this puzzle? I had to abandon it because it seemed like the pattern randomizes each time you get it wrong.

Also found the Matrix Bible, which I swear must have an extra 0 in it because it periodically inflicts a debuff that dealt 25,000 damage per second for 8 seconds.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RoboCicero posted:

Anyone know the solution for this puzzle? I had to abandon it because it seemed like the pattern randomizes each time you get it wrong.

Also found the Matrix Bible, which I swear must have an extra 0 in it because it periodically inflicts a debuff that dealt 25,000 damage per second for 8 seconds.
Do one of the red ones first then the middle one. Doesn't seem to always work but the red level will reset after a fail and one of those will work.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally unlocked the soldier class. Spear/polearms are just too rare right now. I had unlocked an advanced class (necromancer) before him, even.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it feels like the alignment shops stop showing up as often when you have all three unlocked. i saw one evil shop the entire run, then one good shop, so i couldnt do any of the advanced paths. it sucks bc i had a setup that coulda unlocked me a new class if i'd just had the alignment

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yes hello i have questions:

1) is it still not possible to save and quit during a run :negative:

2) the purple elite enemies, are you supposed to be bombarded with them from the start? i deleted my save and started fresh but even in the first room i had several elites

3) the game is good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

yes hello i have questions:

1) is it still not possible to save and quit during a run :negative:

2) the purple elite enemies, are you supposed to be bombarded with them from the start? i deleted my save and started fresh but even in the first room i had several elites

3) the game is good

1) No :negative:

2) They show up randomly once per floor unless you have one of the difficulty modifiers that increases that

3) Yes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just did a celestial throne run as Cyborg with an unarmed build, and man, you gotta work a lot harder for a victory with that than pretty much any other build out there.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How exactly do I get lawful alignment on purpose? I assume that way lies Primal Death

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azran posted:

How exactly do I get lawful alignment on purpose? I assume that way lies Primal Death
Basically, once you defeat the guardian in the shadowlands after death, it will unlock lawful shops that sometimes spawn after bosses. Shopping here with souls gives you +lawful alignment.

This mechanic will repeat later on for the other alignments.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Behold, a balanced floor 5 weapon:

Also - is luck bugged or something? 1 luck is amazing, but 10 luck doesnt seem to do more than 1 luck beyond modify lucky hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It just occurred to me that the locked Abyss portion will likely be the Chaos alignment route whenever it releases. It also makes sense that Hell/Heaven doors are positioned left to right while Shadow Realm/Abyss are positioned up and down.