Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Epyc adventures today. Got the system running. but on install, linux was making GBS threads dmesg screams every five seconds

tried swapping ssds (the only pcie things in it) between slots. no dice. tried removing one. nope. tried removing the other. nope

Then i found one of my P1600x gen3 optanes, tried it on a lark, and....perfect.

Just to confirm the test, added one of the WD 770s in the other slot. Errors returned.

After some hunting, i found this

quote:

As expected, EPYCD8 does not support PCIe Gen4, BUT Gen4 capable cards will happily negotiate Gen4 link with the SOC! This took me forever to figure out and lead to random I/O stutter, hangs and crashes. You need to force Gen3 link in BIOS on PCIe slots populated with Gen4 cards.

And since i can force the actual pcie slots to gen3, but NOT the m2 slots, these will never work in the onboard m2's. But they should work with a PCIe card.

Since it's dumb to run a system on a 56g drive, i have two gen3 SSDs coming in tomorrow which should let me populate the onboard slots, and then i'll get a card to put the WDs in a pcie slot and all will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the plan for this machine with far too much cores and RAM

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Bittorrent, plex, yt-dlp. You know, real demanding stuff.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

What's the plan for this machine with far too much cores and RAM

it feels good man

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i successfully got gpu passthrough working with libvirt and this little ole 1080ti.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:toot:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well the computer froze on me twice today so I'm gonna try two things I guess

1) reinstall windows
2) remove a couple of useless expansion cards (wifi adapter, usb adapter)

and if that doesn't work ??? buy a new computer seems to be the only option

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok so I installed win11 while I was at it, because idk when I'd have a better opportunity to try. maybe it will fix the issue

my unbiased win11 review: it's fine, I guess, haven't run into anything that makes me hate it yet. I got my music production pipeline going again which is what I was worried about most. I did already install ExplorerPatcher though - I just can't handle taskbar on bottom with my ultrawide, even with auto hide. maybe I could. idk. don't really care to figure out at this point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fine.

they made some stupid ui choices. these stupid companies are full of stupid people who never studied ergonomics and they don't understand that operating systems are basically critical infrastructure now and you can't just gently caress with people's work processes for no reason. this pisses me off every single time photoshop or fusion get a forced update that moves all the buttons around. you can propose something new, but you have to allow existing users to keep their old pattern if they don't like the new one or just need some time to get used to it. at least for incredibly fundamental features like "where you click to switch tasks."

car analogy: if you got in your car one morning and the stalks had disappeared and been replaced with capacitive buttons on the wheel because elon thinks it's better.

fortunately explorerpatcher lets you revert the stupid parts of the ui, and it just becomes windows 10 with round corners and presumably more support going forwards. and i genuinely like a few features like the new terminal app

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

you can't just gently caress with people's work processes for no reason

it turns out they can and they will, and gently caress you, complaining about it doesn't get their bonus paid

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

back by popular demand the left mouse button now generates a left click event instead of typing a letter j

five people: put it back we were using it you can't ust change poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my computer survived all weekend playing games and running the Dota 2 dev tools, hopefully im out of the woods! thanks thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
built up a pc for my kid

and msi board has onboard wifi

but w10 it’s like it doesn’t even know wifi exists?? tried installing intel wifi drivers .. idk

next step is move the pc next to the router and cable that poo poo in and somehow make windows KNOW that onboard wifi exists and force it to work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is the wifi enabled in the bios?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if it's literal first-time setup then the install media probably doesn't have drivers for the wifi

(if you're super unlucky, it won't have ethernet drivers either)

you gotta get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, put them on a usb drive, and install them from there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I checked bios and it was on

and finally yeah I did get it working, plugged it into ethernet and downloaded everything msi motherboard I could find and then yes .. it finally acted as if it had wifi and I got it working

ok I mean .. if this was 20 … even 10 .. years ago that’s one thing.. or if it was linux …

but how does onboard wifi not just auto work with a windows 10 install?? even at some base slow level?! shameful imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it might be too new to have windows 10 drivers out of the box. windows 10 came out in 2015

the motherboard should have come with some kind of driver disc or something though, that's stupid

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

nobody has a disc drive anymore

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
put them on sd cards or something then idk. i like the little integrated microsd slots a lot of my laptops have, they remind me of tiny little floppies that can hold like 1 TB

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

e: irrelevant

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 28, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nice sig

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

put them on sd cards or something then idk. i like the little integrated microsd slots a lot of my laptops have, they remind me of tiny little floppies that can hold like 1 TB

Every usb device that needs drivers should have a little usb hub chip in them with the device hanging off one port and a 1 gig usb storage device containing its drivers hanging off another. Put a little switch on the back to turn off port 2 if it bugs you in explorer or w/e.

I'm really into programmable macro pads and 10keys and poo poo and whenever i want to reprogram them, step 1 is to look up my amazon order to remember what the thing's model number is and go from there, lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Jonny 290 posted:

Every usb device that needs drivers should have a little usb hub chip in them with the device hanging off one port and a 1 gig usb storage device containing its drivers hanging off another. Put a little switch on the back to turn off port 2 if it bugs you in explorer or w/e.

I have a Razr keyboard that has this and it’s a little annoying since for some reason it will auto play plus nowadays the software is completely out of date. I do get the sentiment though and agree in theory.

funny enough I just opened a new motherboard I got with a microcenter bundle and it has a tiny usb flash drive. I haven’t used it yet because I’m waiting on the cooler to get here, but I was surprised it was in there.
it looks crazy cheap, lol
“MSI mag z790 tomahawk WiFi” if anyone’s curious. I may just disable the WiFi on it since this is a desktop and will be wired most of its life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

it might be too new to have windows 10 drivers out of the box. windows 10 came out in 2015

the motherboard should have come with some kind of driver disc or something though, that's stupid

yeah it did. who has optical drives tho

but surely the windows image I downloaded from
microsoft yesterday is not the same image they made in 2015

anyway

unacceptable imo. no need to excuse microsoft’s incompetence

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

i’ve got 64 now and I try to get it full but it ain’t easy

sometimes I make a ram disk for editing Plex recordings (trim commercials, recompress) just because I can :shobon:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

yeah it did. who has optical drives tho

but surely the windows image I downloaded from
microsoft yesterday is not the same image they made in 2015

anyway

unacceptable imo. no need to excuse microsoft’s incompetence

a usb-c dvd-rw is like $20. get one while they're still made i guess

but anyway no, newer builds (vs. versions) of windows don't really come with many new drivers, just updates of ones already chosen to be included with the install

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

a usb-c dvd-rw is like $20. get one while they're still made i guess

probably in a few years time it'll be like vcrs where if you want an actually working one it's like $300

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

probably in a few years time it'll be like vcrs where if you want an actually working one it's like $300

honestly i figured that's where we'd be by now, but they're as cheap as i've ever seen them really

hmm i wonder how much an external portable bluray drive is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you can add your own drivers to the install image yourself, if you know what you're going to need. they don't constantly update the images with drivers for every piece of hardware that comes out.

really the problem is if you're setting up a computer and you don't have access to another computer at the same time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

re: DVD drives; my pc has a dvd burner that I salvaged from work years ago that's at least 10 years old. it's a nice one and it's always worked fine but i haven't needed it in years.

fast forward to the other day when I found some old mystery discs that i wanted to check out and now the drive tray doesn't open anymore. 😓

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

spankmeister posted:

re: DVD drives; my pc has a dvd burner that I salvaged from work years ago that's at least 10 years old. it's a nice one and it's always worked fine but i haven't needed it in years.

fast forward to the other day when I found some old mystery discs that i wanted to check out and now the drive tray doesn't open anymore. 😓

maybe it doesn't work besides, but there will be a small access hole on the face of the drive door that you can push a paper clip or staple through, to open the drive door. maybe it still works aside from the loading mechanism

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

maybe it doesn't work besides, but there will be a small access hole on the face of the drive door that you can push a paper clip or staple through, to open the drive door. maybe it still works aside from the loading mechanism

i'm old enough to know all the tricks, but thank you for being helpful 🙏

the belt is probably turned to goo

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Why are there basically no USB splitters with two male ends? I can't be the only person who wants to plug a wired keyboard into both my work and my home computer at the same time and toggle. As far as I can tell either I'm searching for the wrong thing or Amazon has literally one option and I've tried it and it sucks and has massive connectivity issues.

The gently caress do people do, crawl around behind their PC plugging poo poo in and out every time they switch computers?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's what KVM switches are for

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that's not a splitter, that a switch, like this https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Computers-Peripheral-Switcher-One-Button/dp/B01N6GD9JO
but most of the time you want to switch displays too so you use a kvm switch, or even better use a monitor with a built in kvm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you are looking for something called a kvm switch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its not like a speaker wire theyre not 'splitters'. did you google usb switch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sorry, jonny, the podium is full

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was a question from the audience.

Adbot