Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Fun fact: the colossus elixir stacks with the enlarge spell

e: You can make a one-and-a-halfling

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The funny part is that Karlach gets so huge when you do this that it fucks up the trajectory of her throwing arc unless the ceilings are like 50ft high.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

Absolutely same, I'm stubbornly hauling around a small library of concrete evidence just to spite the game for not letting me make use of it

Start of act 3: "this is slander, how dare you smelly vagrants accuse our rich, handsome friend of such things!"

Slightly later: oops anybody in a position to do anything about it is dead

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bloody hell, it happened AGAIN! I'm in the Zents hide out under Walkeens rest and talking to the artist I Just bought as a slave and MID CONVERSATION about his marriage or something the Zents decide I'm hostile and throw a grenade down and blow me all too hell. WTF was THAT all about!?!

edit- ohhhhh....It's because I used Friends and it wore off. Ok, avoid ever taking THAT spell again.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 28, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More like Enemies!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Those guys are dicks, you can turn them hostile really easily, so I killed them all. I might have been playing a good guy, but I still don't take any guff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Zhentarim are my good friends and allies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Phlegmish posted:

I might have been playing a good guy, but I still don't take any guff.

The Zhentarim are kind of lovely, they are explicitly slavers and assassins and out of game a whole bunch more crimes so you can feel at peace for murdering them as a good guy.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Comstar posted:

Bloody hell, it happened AGAIN! I'm in the Zents hide out under Walkeens rest and talking to the artist I Just bought as a slave and MID CONVERSATION about his marriage or something the Zents decide I'm hostile and throw a grenade down and blow me all too hell. WTF was THAT all about!?!

edit- ohhhhh....It's because I used Friends and it wore off. Ok, avoid ever taking THAT spell again.

I also killed all the Zents down there, I didn't mean to but I was just trying to steal their treasure and someone caught me :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Much like Mario Party is a good way to ensure people never come over to play video games with you ever again, so is Friends a nominatively perilous ability.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Pictures of my Durge Tav looking sharp and finally in Honor Mode Act 3. Taking it super slow, because I failed once in Act 2 because I got impatient and too confident. (I'll probably screw up now after saying this lol)

Spoiling cause one shot with Karlach

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never got that scene with Karlach. It's crazy how much content you can miss in this game if you just do one playthrough.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I never got that scene with Karlach. It's crazy how much content you can miss in this game if you just do one playthrough.

I've played thru the entire game in Tactician 3 times, but still seeing new stuff in this run with Honor Mode, which actually puts me on my toes, because I feel like I may screw things up if I don't pay attention. That's how I failed HM my first time in Act 2, cause I I thought I was going to kill one boss one way, but the game decided differently for me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

Those guys are dicks, you can turn them hostile really easily, so I killed them all. I might have been playing a good guy, but I still don't take any guff.

they are dicks tried to give them their flask and they said “You weren’t supposed to open the box, now you have to kill all of us” so I did.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Phlegmish posted:

For sure. I played with a four-player co-op group that consistently made the worst decisions (and had some bad luck), and just through act 2 we've missed:

- Minthara
- The mountain pass
- The creche
- Alive people at Last Light Inn
- The merchants at Moonrise Towers
- Actually, ANY vendors in Act 2
- Tons of cool magic items that people rave about in this thread
- Lots of side-quest outcomes where you only have one chance to say the right thing or make a specific check

Since we had a full party of player-characters, we also failed all of the companion quests, since we didn't really try. By early act 3, most of the companions have left.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 28, 2023

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ashcans posted:

The Zhentarim are kind of lovely, they are explicitly slavers and assassins and out of game a whole bunch more crimes so you can feel at peace for murdering them as a good guy.

They're lovely people but they give you a surprisingly strong ally summon for the last fight so who is to say if they are good or bad

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

I’m on my third and still finding stuff I missed. Like I never found the matching lovers ring in act 2 until now.

Tons of stuff I missed on my first play through despite trying to be thorough. I missed the act 1 Zhents completely my first play through. And that area in act 1 that relates to Kagha. And the BOOOAL.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mannnn

I finished the game last week and I'm getting the itch to start a second run already :negative: trying to be strong and save it for when my wife and I have time to play it together

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Really feeling like we should have killed He Who Was in Act Ii. Getting the sense he was exactly as lovely as he appeared. Also, got the bright idea to stealth kill the guards on the Moonrise Docks because of that crate. If you know you know. Almost missed it entirely. Very sneaky of them, btw, to only give you the scene with it if you inspect it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I picked the whole drat thing up. It's still in Karlach's inventory :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Really feeling like we should have killed He Who Was in Act Ii. Getting the sense he was exactly as lovely as he appeared. Also, got the bright idea to stealth kill the guards on the Moonrise Docks because of that crate. If you know you know. Almost missed it entirely. Very sneaky of them, btw, to only give you the scene with it if you inspect it.

I keep finding out about so much stuff that I completely missed, dang

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Can you do anything with it? The one full of worms right?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Bust into it

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have no clue. It's implied you can. Though I haven't seen an opportunity. Didn't want to just smash it for fear of unintended consequences.

I was hoping there was some leverage to be had with the Zhent vendor though. Haven't checked. But she was acting real weird when we got there so curiosity piqued.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 28, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat hoh on honor. I was able to lock him down after the first move but his first move destroyed hope lol oh well.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shard posted:

I beat hoh on honor. I was able to lock him down after the first move but his first move destroyed hope lol oh well.

How? I tried to stagger him but his charm thing is a condition not a reaction so it hit me anyway.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol, on my Durge playthrough I am realizing how much Act II stuff I missed in my first full playthrough because I avoided going to Moonrise Towers until I'd done everything else because of how it was signposted as "this is where the endgame for this act is gonna be". Everyone is saying the big baddie is immortal so I figured I should investigate everything else first to find out about that! And it worked! So by the time I got to Moonrise on my first run it was just as part of the big attack. And I missed the prison level of the building entirely because there's a dialogue option where you choose if you'll attack through the prison or the main level and I just never went back afterwards cause they told me someone else was looking after it! Sorry gnomes and tieflings!

Also lol that if you steal Minty's armor when you knock her out in Act I she shows up at Moorise in her skivvies.
And then this happened when I finally recruited her:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I had the same experience with Minthara. I even tried to give her some rags to wear, but she didn't put them on in Moonrise. I also got the armor missing glitch, but it went away after awhile.

Also, in Act 3 now, and she comes on to you hard, even though I'm already in a relationship with Shart. I thought about it for a second, cause just like Lae'zel, she is very intense in her emotions.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

AgentHaiTo posted:

I had the same experience with Minthara. I even tried to give her some rags to wear, but she didn't put them on in Moonrise. I also got the armor missing glitch, but it went away after awhile.

Also, in Act 3 now, and she comes on to you hard, even though I'm already in a relationship with Shart. I thought about it for a second, cause just like Lae'zel, she is very intense in her emotions.

Minthara is the funniest person I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nyX1SprQgg&t=122s

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I've hardly ever had her in my party at all, but I've gone thru all her dialogue options and she is amazing. Her opinion on all the companions are great. Especially Gale :) She is also super pragmatic about everything gaining power. She is the only one who

supported an alliance with Gortash

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
So I don't recommend this for a first run through but I ran across this spreadsheet for a full honor mode party. It has all the builds and every item needed and where to spread them around. Im in the final stages of my first honor run with just Ansur, Gortash, and final boss left. I don't plan to run a min maxed party for my second honor mode run through as this has trivialized every act 3 fight once I shifted over to it. Game knowledge definitely feels more key than party comp but this may give some people ideas to help them. Warning it has full item location spoilers for every item you need for the party.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTv7WwGwWSTKhDLqQHa1d_SqTkG6xUZ1b5SdqqqoX5UFvIgMEk5xiA_DLPgz1rkeu6TjWHiUDKtikfC/pubhtml

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
imo you don't really need to follow build guides to do well in Honour, it's not significantly harder than Tactician and Tactician is pretty easy once you're familiar with the game.

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
Oh I definitely agree. Some legendary actions I never even got to see and I never made much use of damage riders or other things like that but find it fun to completely break the game with stuff like this. Brings me back to my shadowkeepered Wild Mage/Kensai build going from BG1 all the way through BG2. Im ready to start a next run already and just try some dumb fun party comps.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Shard posted:

This is why Hope's first move should be to divine intervention herself a weapon so you can loot it :thumbsup:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There are a few elements that are particularly strong and you see pop up pretty commonly in powergamey builds. Keep in mind the "meta" is maximizing party damage output to alpha strike enemies in the first couple rounds. It's pretty easy to set up a party that frontloads enough damage to delete bosses in a turn or two, you don't really need that much minmaxing to get strong builds. But, here are the main things I see discussed:

Tavern Brawler (throwing barbarian or open hand monk) lets you double-dip on your Strength bonus to attack and damage with unarmed and throwing attacks. The magic returning weapons enable strong throwbarb builds, and more punches (and eventually 1d4+wisdom bonus necrotic/radiant/psychic) make Open Hand far and away the strongest monk. You probably want at least 3 levels of barbarian and 6 of monk to mix with whatever else.
Paladin smites let you burn any spell slots (not just paladin spell slots!) for lots of bonus radiant damage with melee weapons (not unarmed or ranged). Just 2 levels in Paladin gets you access to Divine Smites and a fighting style.
Sorceror metamagic lets you Twin and Quicken your spells to frontload all the big important stuff in the first round or two of combat.
Clerics in general are just really good all-around but specifically the Light and Tempest subclasses add powerful nukes. Two levels of Tempest is often combo'd with sorceror for blasting tons of Lightning damage.
Swords bards bring a ton of utility to a party and their Flourishes make them the best archers and also very strong in melee, Flourishes are another resource to dump extra damage. Usually you'd take at least 5-6 levels of swords bard depending on if you're getting an extra attack from another class or not.
Champion fighter dip gets you a fighting style at level 1, Action Surge at level 2 and extra crit at level 3. Typically sprinkle 2+ levels with other martials.
Thief rogue 3 adds 2d6 sneak attack, cunning action, and most importantly an extra bonus action.

There's more I'm sure but those are the main things off the top of my head

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 28, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've been thinking about dipping Thief on my polearm master barbarian Karlach. If you have multiple minor actions, can you use the polearm conk twice in one turn? I'm imagining hasted bloodlust elixir'd Karlach delivering 6 slashes and 2 bonks every turn and it's making me rub my hands together like a lovely little evil gremlin

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How are you gonna roleplay as a barbarian thief…??

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I always make Karlach a monk after I fought Raphael and he got stunning strike'd on every turn and never got to do anything

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jay Rust posted:

The same way you roleplay as a barbarian wizard OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Jay Rust posted:

Karlach grew up as a streetwise kid in Baldur’s Gate. She knows a thing or two about thieving