Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah but that's almost any Republican at this point. Ramaswami is the guy to worry about for next time if he can surmount the "being brown and having a foreign sounding name" issue, because he's got juice and will say any fascist drek for hoots and applause. Ron's too much of a freak to be countenanced and every time he talks it makes people realize he is a pod creature. Plus he terms out of office soon so no one will be paying attention to him by the time 2028 rolls around.

Honestly one of the biggest things Trump had going for him was that he was Tha Rich Guy From Tha Tee Vee. What I'm saying is get ready for Vince McMahon 2028.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Honestly one of the biggest things Trump had going for him was that he was Tha Rich Guy From Tha Tee Vee. What I'm saying is get ready for Vince McMahon 2028.
Alas, our timeline diverged from the True Timeline, where The Rock entered the California Gubernatorial Recall Election and won, dashing Gavin's political ambitions and setting himself up for 2028 against Vince McMahon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So sad to see all of you people fail to recognize the looming ascendancy of Jeb! Bush, the only man in America who can stop Gavin Newsom

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Gotta spend that money to request more money

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1734475674927218801

“There is no persuasive empirical evidence that shows a clear link between helicopter patrols and crime reduction,” Mejia said.

According to the report, there is little oversight in the air support division which costs more than 14 other city departments. The neighborhoods where LAPD helicopters often fly over and patrol don’t necessarily have more crime, either.

“We were expecting to find a tight relationship between allegations of crime, and where these helicopters are going,” said Sergio Perez, L.A. City Controller Chief of Oversight. “We didn’t find that relationship in certain neighborhoods including neighborhoods in South Los Angeles and in East Los Angeles.”

"“You have to drive 19,000,000 miles in a car to get the kind of pollution that they produce through the helicopter program each year,” said Dinah Manning, L.A. City Controller Director of Public Safety."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How soon we forget the teachings of SimCity that police helicopters are only good for clicking on to make them crash

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Mejia is loving great and I live in central LA and we have one of their choppers harassing black people basically 24/7

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Completely different subject, President Trains gave CaHSR the money to finish the first section.

And also Brightline West got cash so we can all pile into a train in Rancho Cucamonga for Vegas and laugh at the traffic jam as we cruise down the median.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
If we literally get a train from LA to Vegas I might actually go to that hellhole.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if it'll increase or decrease the number of people who accidentally book Amtrak tickets to Las Vegas, NM

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CPColin posted:

How soon we forget the teachings of SimCity that police helicopters are only good for clicking on to make them crash

Incorrect. You could also play SimCopter in your SimCity map and patrol traffic or medivac folks. SimCopter and Streets of Sim City were amazing.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Sim copter was basically the blueprint for the 3D GTA games

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Sim Copter needed more Rise FM

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
I just clicked on the spider in SimAnt and won that way pretty much every time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the "plz money" mailers have started, is there anyone going for Barbara Lee's congressional seat other than Lateefah Simon?

it's a bit rich that the CA Dem machine is promoting a BART director at the same time that Newsom is poised to kick our transit infrastructure in the shins, despite the enthusiastic protestations of people in fancy dress holding a mock train funeral

several months on, yes! there are several other people going for it! no prominent dems are though

and, judging by Simon's endorsement list, the party has solidly decided, and none of the others has the slightest chance of winning

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
A member of the Temecula school board just resigned today, out of the blue
I wonder what's about to come out in the news

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://abc7.com/la-county-sheriffs-department-deputy-gangs-alex-villanueva/14228299/
Former LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva to testify on deputy gangs
"Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva has agreed to testify before the county's Civilian Oversight Commission about deputy gangs next month after years of resisting subpoenas."
"Villanueva will testify Jan. 12 at Loyola Law School and in less than three months, he will challenge Hahn in the March primary for L.A. County supervisor."

I cant believe he is running for another office.

Articles dont say much that we dont already know other than he is testifying that there are no gangs soon.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...ight-commission
https://lamag.com/crimeinla/la-county-sheriff-alex-villanueva-deputy-gangs

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 27, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

these loving things overhead at all hours all days. have to pause the tv. sometimes their wind blows the trees around they are so low. their searchlights sweep throguh my freaking windows.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Smythe posted:

these loving things overhead at all hours all days. have to pause the tv. sometimes their wind blows the trees around they are so low. their searchlights sweep throguh my freaking windows.

Yeah it's wild how blase we get to the dystopian helicopter force

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://swindledpodcast.com/podcast/105-the-monopoly/

Listened to this episode of Swindled this morning. Everyone knows PG&E are horrible, but loving hell :guillotine:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

El Mero Mero posted:

https://swindledpodcast.com/podcast/105-the-monopoly/

Listened to this episode of Swindled this morning. Everyone knows PG&E are horrible, but loving hell :guillotine:

yeah i'm from san bruno and was in college when the explosion happened. i got to find out by means of a dozen ims asking where in the city my family lived (not there)

i didn't know anyone in that area, but i think my parents did know people who were just vaporized

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Nasty waves in Ventura

https://twitter.com/RyderChristNews/status/1740561158615204336
https://twitter.com/VCFD_PIO/status/1740541508707906012

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jesus, climate change is getting less and less "future theoretical" every day

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's been bad all week. it's also made traffic loving awful. my 20 minute drive to work has regularly been 40

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

SlimGoodbody posted:

We have been debating driving to Utah for winter break, for the kids to enjoy the snow while we visit with family there. Northern Utah is currently in a heat wave of 40 with little-to-no snow on the ground. The mountains have some, but nothing in the neighborhoods for the kids to sled in. Just this past spring break (end of March), we drove up there and it snowed the whole time and the kids couldn't get enough of it. Last winter/spring was a trip!

So I think we're staying home, to enjoy this weekend's rain.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

SlimGoodbody posted:

it hasn't been theoretical for 35+ years

we're already at +1C since 1950

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Republicans seem to have largely dropped "global warming is a hoax" as a campaign trail talking point

Mississippi River was saltwater something like 50 miles upriver of new Orleans this fall, and that was with the army corps of engineers putting a giant sand berm to separate the fresh water from salt in August

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 29, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Villanueva testifies on deputy gangs again today.

"In Friday's testimony, he explained what he did when he found out that the chief of Central Patrol testified that the Banditos group met the definition of a law enforcement gang."
""We conducted a very thorough internal affairs investigation that resulted in the termination of four deputies. One retired during that process, and then the suspension without pay of 22 deputies," said Villanueva. "Then we transferred a group of people, so we actually did quite a bit. However, that didn't make them gang members.""

We gave them a vacation and then split some of them up to prevent them from doing gang poo poo together.
https://abc7.com/alex-villanueva-deputy-gangs-lasd-civilian-oversight-commission/14316411/

Everyone is doing it.
"He told ABC7 that the commission has painted a false image of the entire sheriff's department. However, the former sheriff acknowledged that there are subgroups within the department who ocassionaly engage in misconduct, but he says the department is not unique."

"At previous hearings, some members of the Sheriff's Department with close ties to Villanueva said they were associated with deputy gangs."

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Hadlock posted:

Republicans seem to have largely dropped "global warming is a hoax" as a campaign trail talking point

Mississippi River was saltwater something like 50 miles upriver of new Orleans this fall, and that was with the army corps of engineers putting a giant sand berm to separate the fresh water from salt in August

They've moved to "global warming is not man made." So, you know, the Earth is just too gosh-darned big and there's nothing we can do about it, or it's God's will, or both. Between CO2 emissions and micro-plastics everywhere, how does anyone in the petroleum industry sleep at night?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

OgNar posted:

Villanueva testifies on deputy gangs again today.

"In Friday's testimony, he explained what he did when he found out that the chief of Central Patrol testified that the Banditos group met the definition of a law enforcement gang."
""We conducted a very thorough internal affairs investigation that resulted in the termination of four deputies. One retired during that process, and then the suspension without pay of 22 deputies," said Villanueva. "Then we transferred a group of people, so we actually did quite a bit. However, that didn't make them gang members.""

We gave them a vacation and then split some of them up to prevent them from doing gang poo poo together.
https://abc7.com/alex-villanueva-deputy-gangs-lasd-civilian-oversight-commission/14316411/

Everyone is doing it.
"He told ABC7 that the commission has painted a false image of the entire sheriff's department. However, the former sheriff acknowledged that there are subgroups within the department who ocassionaly engage in misconduct, but he says the department is not unique."

"At previous hearings, some members of the Sheriff's Department with close ties to Villanueva said they were associated with deputy gangs."

Villanueva is such a scumbag I would prefer zombie Daryl Gates to him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wizchine posted:

Between CO2 emissions and micro-plastics everywhere, how does anyone in the petroleum industry sleep at night?

On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Recently, a bunch of gang members got drunk at a bowling alley in Montclair and beat up some teenagers. Why didn't anyone call the police? Because the gang members were the police, of course!

The LA Times posted:

On a cool February night two years ago, a group of Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies met up at a Montclair bowling alley, drinking to celebrate the promotion of a new sergeant in their ranks.

At the end of the evening, the party took a turn. The off-duty deputies picked a fight with a group of teenagers in the parking lot, according to two law enforcement sources and a police report reviewed by The Times. A sergeant started it when he pushed open a car door as he walked past, the report says.

Shouting erupted, and one of the deputies allegedly flashed a handgun, according to the report. Some of the others started mocking the teens and shouting obscenities. And before they dispersed, police records show, one deputy punched a 19-year-old in the face.

But once the Sheriff’s Department got wind of what happened and started investigating, other troubling details emerged. Two of the men in the group — one deputy and one sergeant — admitted to investigators that they had tattoos officials linked to a deputy gang: the Industry Indians, based out of the City of Industry sheriff’s station, according to a law enforcement source.

[...]

The existence of the Industry Indians has not previously been made public, and it’s not clear how long the group has existed. Luna said the Bowlium investigation was the first he’d heard of it. A law enforcement source with knowledge of the case said investigators believe there are dozens of members.

For decades, the Sheriff’s Department has been roiled by allegations that secretive groups of deputies with matching tattoos have been linked to violence and corruption. It’s rare for the Sheriff’s Department to punish deputies for alleged gang involvement. Department officials would not answer questions about whether similar firings had ever happened before the Bowlium case.

Last year, the Civilian Oversight Commission released a 70-page report condemning the “cancer” of deputy gangs, saying they “create rituals that valorize violence, such as recording all deputy-involved shootings in an official book, celebrating with ‘shooting parties,’ and authorizing deputies who have shot a community member to add embellishments to their common gang tattoos.”

A 2021 Loyola Law School report identified 18 such groups, known by names like the Grim Reapers, the Banditos and the Executioners. Now, revelations about the Industry Indians show there may be more.

“We have yet to understand how many deputy gangs there are in the department,” said Sean Kennedy, who chairs the Civilian Oversight Commission and is one of the authors behind the 2021 report. “But I feel confident saying there are many more that we have not yet discovered.”

[...]

There's a description of the fight later, too, and of course the cops were 100% at fault:

quote:

According to a law enforcement source and a partially redacted Montclair police report, when the remaining deputies walked past the trunk of a silver Nissan sitting in the parking lot, a sergeant at the back of the group pushed open the rear passenger door just as one of the teens inside was trying to close it.

The deputies kept walking. But, apparently angered, another teen jumped out of the car shouting. Surveillance video captured the sergeant at the back of the group as he turned his cap backward and skipped “quickly toward” the Nissan, according to the Montclair police report. He appeared “eager to confront” the teens, a Montclair investigator wrote.

The other deputies heard the commotion and turned around. Some began mocking the teens with crying sounds, witnesses told police. According to the police report, others shouted homophobic slurs or obscenities, and one allegedly hurled a challenge: “What are you going to do about it?”

At some point, several deputies later told police, the teens either mentioned a gun or made a threat to “blast” them — though the police report shows no indication that the teens had any weapons with them that night.

But a witness sitting in a car a few spots away told police that she saw another man in the group walk toward the teens’ car and pull up his green flannel shirt, flashing the handle of a black handgun, according to the police report.

As the dispute intensified, the other deputies gathered around the Nissan, and the deputy who had peeled off from the others minutes earlier drove up in his Mercedes. He hopped out of the car and punched the shouting teen in the face, according to the report. At one point, the sergeant allegedly grabbed the open back door on the passenger side and started swinging it “back and forth violently” about six times, “shaking the entire vehicle,” according to the police report. Once the tension dissipated, everyone went home.

I know it's hard to get people on board with abolishing the police. But maybe we could start by abolishing the LA Sheriff's Department?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
huh, for some reason i thought Lee was doing a lot better in the senate race from being the most established candidate, but i guess nah, the centrism is strong https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/12/new-poll-shows-ca-senate-contest-still-in-flux-00135319

the token republican even has a shot at winning one of the top two slots to boot since the rest of the vote is so split

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

why must the liberals insist on splitting the vote. dont they know a vote for *pauses to look things up* Schiff is a vote for *another pause* Garvey!?!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

why must the liberals insist on splitting the vote. dont they know a vote for *pauses to look things up* Schiff is a vote for *another pause* Garvey!?!

Ugh don't post like this please

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Ugh don't post like this please

disagree

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, he's not going to win in the general. splitting votes on one side is pretty much a natural consequence of the jungle primary, because it's a bad system

ranked choice voting or death

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

ranked choice voting or death

:hmmyes: I vote RCV #1 and death #2

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
rcv won't actually change things in the long run

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Bald Stalin posted:

rcv won't actually change things in the long run

well yeah in the long run the planet is 7.5 degrees F hotter and we all starve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Climate change aside, one need only look at the deteriorating material conditions in places with rcv to see that it's dumb to think this one weird trick will help