Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

The idea of Hester getting in over a bunch of incredible WRs stuck in a logjam kinda sucks, but since returns are (or were, I guess, since kickoff returns are all but gone) an enormous part of the game and he changed every game he was in by virtue of making teams play around him, it's hard to say he doesn't deserve to be there.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Great WRs come and go all the time but Hester was kind of a football unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

pasaluki posted:

Leger Douzable was on SiriusXM and made a pretty interesting connection.

Jarrett Stidham was the same guy who replaced Carr, who like Russ was purposely benched to avoid injury and to avoid having to pay out.

Both QBs were replaced after a Christmas Eve game.

Hope russ signs a 3 year 150 mil deal with the falcons now, to complete the cycle.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It's notable that Hester was a really good punt returner but not nearly as good as kick returner. There were better kick returners even contemporaneously, such as Josh Cribbs or Leon Washington, and shortly after like Cordarrelle Patterson, but as far as punt returns goes Hester absolutely blows away everyone else all time from what I can tell.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also the fact Hester was the best while on special teams, which is often disregarded when compared to offense or defense.

I'll never forget in a press conference a reporter asked Bill Belichick what's the most important part of football and without a beat said "special teams. It sets up where offense & defense starts, and you will be at a disadvantage if your special teams are not good."

I mean, look at the 2010 Chargers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hester should go in because he was so loving cool, there was not a cooler nfl player in the early aughts, and he was on the loving chicago bears, the least cool football team of all time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hester was insane. He made you pay if you kick it to him. Also nobody will ever touch that record.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Android Apocalypse posted:

Russ on the Cardinals until they wreck another #1 overall pick.

hey

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shindragon posted:

Hester was insane. He made you pay if you kick it to him. Also nobody will ever touch that record.

This. He changed the game by being on the field. Teams had to specifically gameplan around him. When you have to shift your entire gameplan up to account for one dude, that dude is something remarkable.

Devin Hester was an ok WR. He's the best punt returner in NFL history in the way that Jerry Rice hangs over every other WR. No one cares about who is back there returning punts 99% of the time. Hester was that 1%. He had the power to change games by himself, and he frequently did so. He played a massive part in the bears super bowl season (his rookie year, I might add) and was critical to their success in any win where he returned balls.

Hester was something special, and he should be in the HoF as a special teams returner. Even if they never add anyone else in that category it will be fine, because there hasn't ever been a Devin Hester and in the years since he left the league, no one close has emerged.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Abugadu posted:

what the poo poo

Hester, for multiple seasons, did more for the Bears offense than any actual player on the offense did.

Patterson was ok, Cribbs was real good, Hester was a goddamn monster.

Bro he's like 15th on the stat list he wasn't even close to being the best.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Anyone arguing against Hester is unserious or trolling. He's #1 with a bullet from that list of candidates. Joining Hester should be:

Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Julius Peppers
Antonio Gates

Don't feel bad about leaving most of those other guys out. Ton of Hall of Very Good guys that got no place in being considered. When is Steve Smith eligible? He's a walk in co.oared to a bunch of these guys.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hester was something special, and he should be in the HoF as a special teams returner. Even if they never add anyone else in that category it will be fine, because there hasn't ever been a Devin Hester and in the years since he left the league, no one close has emerged.

:emptyquote:

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Anyone arguing against Hester is unserious or trolling.

Or they just hate fun. Hester was incredibly fun and exiting to watch, even if he was on the other team, in a way few other players have ever been.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
The guy who came closest to Hester's excitement factor was Dante " the human joystick" Hall and he didn't last very long at all.

Hester haters can suck it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Anyone arguing against Hester is unserious or trolling. He's #1 with a bullet from that list of candidates. Joining Hester should be:

Are you kidding me

He should maybe go in as a punt returner but even that is pathetic when you have people in the HoF like Deion Sanders. Hester doesn't deserve to be in the same room as other returners around him. You all fell for marketing.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

I'm convinced now, Devin Hester sucks

Dave Meggett should be in the Hall of Fame

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Josh Cribbs HOF

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doltos posted:

Are you kidding me

He should maybe go in as a punt returner but even that is pathetic when you have people in the HoF like Deion Sanders. Hester doesn't deserve to be in the same room as other returners around him. You all fell for marketing.

What you posted says hester is #1 at overall return TDs counting kickoff and punt, is so far ahead on punt returns no one will ever touch him, and his overall return yardage (which really should be looked at as yards/attempt) is near the top of all time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm convinced now, Devin Hester sucks

Dave Meggett should be in the Hall of Fame

Meggett was great in Tecmo Super Bowl :thurman: and All-Pro 2K8.

Just, uh, don’t look up his life outside or after football :yikes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hard to get counting stats when teams just stop loving punting or kicking to you. and instead take 20 -30 yards of field position loss instead.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

What you posted says hester is #1 at overall return TDs counting kickoff and punt, is so far ahead on punt returns no one will ever touch him, and his overall return yardage (which really should be looked at as yards/attempt) is near the top of all time.

Oh so you agree with me that Josh Cribbs and Cordarrelle Patterson should be in the HOF then

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it's nice and all, but like 14 td's is a pretty small number to hang your hat on.

Like 3 guys have scored more than that many TD's this year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Surely some nerd has gone through Hester's career and gotten some idea of just how many yards opponents gave up rather than kick to him? And tried to approximate some adjusted career stats using that?

And if nobody has, they should do it and pay me 700 dollars for the idea.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Meggett was great in Tecmo Super Bowl :thurman: and All-Pro 2K8.

Just, uh, don’t look up his life outside or after football :yikes:

Crime in Sports has an episode on him and yeah... it's pretty bad

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Revis is like 230th in career ints and 20th in passes defended, can’t believe they put that guy in the hall.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If we can put kickers in the hall of fame we can put return men in as well.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Doltos posted:

Oh so you agree with me that Josh Cribbs and Cordarrelle Patterson should be in the HOF then

Man I really want to agree that Cribbs belongs in the hall but he is borderline at best. His extremely high counting stats are probably a result of just how godawful the Browns were for his tenure. Lots of teams scored a lot on the Browns so he had lots of oppurtunities to return kicks.

Cribbs case can probably be better made at how good he was at kick and punt coverage.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bro Darrelle Revis is like #236 all time for interceptions how come people think he should be in the Hall?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Revis is like 230th in career ints and 20th in passes defended, can’t believe they put that guy in the hall.

Gdi

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bro Darrelle Revis is like #236 all time for interceptions how come people think he should be in the Hall?

Gdi

Submarined again!!!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And once again we're back to my argument that Julian Edelman is clearly a hall of famer for his multiple great Superbowl games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Counting stats has ruined football yet again

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm for Hester in the HoF because no other skill position player in the NFL could have possibly put up his stats, no sir, no way would a coach ever not put a skill position in to return kicks because they're more valuable on offense. Boy howdy.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Classic Doltos

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Put him in the Hall

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think it'd be cool if Antonio Gates went to the Hall of Fame on his first ballot

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a neat cape posted:

I think it'd be cool if Antonio Gates went to the Hall of Fame on his first ballot

the basketball hall of fame???????????????

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gdi

Not fast enough Skull!

Unlike Devin Hester who was fast enough to evade special teams defenders 20 times to score touchdowns during his illustrious Hall of Fame career.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I dunno what we're talking about but it feels like if you're a backup QB / practice squad QB who hasn't played yet this year you may be entitled to compensation

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1740440213871333726

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hester should go into the hall for returning a kickoff for a TD in a superbowl.

There have been better returner tho

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Harlock posted:

I dunno what we're talking about but it feels like if you're a backup QB / practice squad QB who hasn't played yet this year you may be entitled to compensation

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1740440213871333726

Can’t wait for that inevitable game 18!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

R.D. Mangles posted:

the basketball hall of fame???????????????

I don't know if you realize this, but this joke is very appropriate given that Antonio Gates didn't play football in college and instead played basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Basketball Hall of Fame is what people want the NFL HOF to turn into because then all their favorite players who were pretty good get the award and then they feel good. That's not the NFL HOF. You have to be literally the best. A returner who didn't even play offense is not that. He could have been fungible with any other skill position and the fact that no one wastes their best players on returning is a testament to how meh Hester career was.