Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I'd also Dockerize them so it's even easier the next time. Move mounted config directories, move Docker compose files, and then run container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

System > Backup inside the various *arrs

Ah neat, thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That or Prowlarr. You still would have to hook up the downloaders though; it’s dumb that they won’t add that functionality. It’s also a good excuse to use docker and docker-compose files as you can toss whatever on whatever and it’ll by and large pick up where it left off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

System > Backup inside the various *arrs

drat, that worked perfectly. All the APIs and whatnot too.
SABnzb has a backup feature as well, and I just had to correct a few paths after restoring it since my drive letters changed.

Other than that, Plex had everything stored in the cloud, so when I logged in, it was all there. It just had to rebuild the thumbnail database and detect intros/credits again.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
While you're working on the new setup and everything is fresh in your mind might be a good time to update sonarr to the v4 branch, which switches from preferred words based upgrades to a custom format setup like radarr.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

THF13 posted:

While you're working on the new setup and everything is fresh in your mind might be a good time to update sonarr to the v4 branch, which switches from preferred words based upgrades to a custom format setup like radarr.

Sonarr v4 is still very much beta software and isn't even in the current deb repos. Is it really time to be switching to it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Motronic posted:

Sonarr v4 is still very much beta software and isn't even in the current deb repos. Is it really time to be switching to it?

Personally I'm not switching until it's in stable.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I switched to the develop build a whole two days ago and in that immense period of time it's been fine. I updated because I needed to modify my configuration anyways, and figured I might as well jump to the new thing now instead of having to set it up again (hopefully) soon.

Various impressions from a few different discords convinced me it was far enough along to run, and Trash's guides and the tools to sync Sonarr to those guides are already updated for v4.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

All I can say is that I appreciate you and everyone else beta testing this software in your production environment for me.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Motronic posted:

All I can say is that I appreciate you and everyone else beta testing this software in your production environment for me.

The highest stakes prod environment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

in a well actually posted:

The highest stakes prod environment.

Not sure if joking or not, but I literally don't care if you can't send your 10,000 marketing spam SMSes because the prod cluster fell over at work as much as I do that I have the latest episode of Ondskan.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I upgraded to Sonarr v4 a couple of months ago, because v3 had for some reason (likely to do with my quality settings) gotten into the habit of downloading the (exact) same thing over and over unless I manually went in to unmonitor the affected entries, and I figured v4 had been in "beta" state for long enough that most kinks would have been worked out by now.

At the same time I also deleted my custom mess of quality settings and filters built up over many years, instead taking a little time to learn and set up Recyclarr configurations for both Sonarr and Radarr.

So far it seems to have been well worth it, because my time spent janitoring these services went from "a little bit" to zero, and the services default to picking up better quality releases than they used to.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
This is a reminder that at the very least you should reset your quality settings once in a while.

I had heaps of trouble downloading certain shows because the minimum sizes had all drifted over the last 5-10 years since I had set it up. Turns out that even if you don't customise those settings the defaults don't re-apply during updatss

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Run nightly builds only, hail satan

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been using Sonarr v4 for months now and I can't remember a single bug, so either they're nonexistent, or minuscule, or I'm entirely too dumb to notice.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Happy holidays Usenet thread.

I was in another state celebrating with family when I heard of Real Debrid. I am sure RDB is well known around here, but just in case it's not, let me go ahead and recommend that right the gently caress now.

It took me a few hours to really unwrap what is going on here so I'll give yall the spark notes for people who don't know about this crazy platform. Basically I want to forward helpful information that I wish I had:

Real-Debrid is a remotely hosted storage platform that allows you to download torrents (of linux ISOs) by inputting that torrent data into a front end. The file is "downloaded" (you'll understand why I'm putting that in quotations soon), and can then be accessed at any time with supposedly infinite retention.

The rub here, and it took me a second to understand, but RDB is actually just cataloging torrents and offering them for download and streaming. Therefore, when input a torrent into RDB, what it's really doing is:

1) Check- do we have this torrent?
2) If yes, offer link for immediate download and streaming
3) if no, download it and add it to the catalog, which then propagates to anyone else trying to get it.

The end result 99% of the time is that you get the media you want instantly available for download & streaming, with no cap on file size or quality.

That's how they offer unlimited storage- because it's not being stored individually, it's all based on hashing and you're basically unlocking the rights to use a piece of media by providing the "key" to access it (the torrent file). Therefore the entire system is unified and acts anonymously; RDB has no idea what it's storing. It's just matching users to hashed media, and if it's the first query of that hashed media, it really is downloaded, but otherwise it's just there, instantly available, and appears on your virtual HDD. You can also at that point, download it at full speed, so no VPN is ever needed.

Most people seem to use StreamIO + TorrentIO, which looks great, but I can't use it because my entire infrastructure is Apple TVs on Plex. So just know, that's the easy way and you should probably do that unless you have a Roku, or Apple TV, or Plex.

This is the top level structure that my Plex server now uses:

1) Primary, offline, "this is on a hard drive in my house" backbone using Usenet indexing to grab, and share on Plex, media files. This is limited to 100TB in my case.
2) RDB for media that I want on my Plex but don't care enough to host locally or don't have space for

Usenet is 100% local download and sorted into Plex Libraries, but RDB is mounted as a virtual drive (W: in my case cuz its a huge win) and then my Plex library automatically sorts and displays everything for playback.

A nice aspect of this setup is that RDB offers unlimited downloads of the media, so you can effortlessly make whatever you want local if you want, or if you for any reason can't find what you want on Usenet, there's probably a torrent for whatever Linux ISO you need.

This whole setup aims to achieve a specific goal which is combining usenet and remote torrenting to fill a Plex catalog which then works on platforms like Apple TV. If your aim isn't to support Plex/ATV/Roku then once again, it seems the much easier route is to use Stramio+TorrentIO on an android-based media stick / Fire Cube / Shield / etc.

Anyways, I really feel like this has revolutionized my Usenet game so wanted to save anyone who might be curious some time, because as far as I can tell, people with entrenched downloading tools like Usenet might not know what else is out there. But I strongly feel that RDB is the perfect accompaniment to Usenet :cheers:

Please stick to legal content only. Oh, and also, RDB cannot be used for remote Plex users; RDB is a one-person/one-account platform and anything you want to be shared to others must be downloaded for local upload. Which is easy to do, but an important distinction in terms of the structure of what you're offering on your server and to whom.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 27, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Do humans live long enough to watch 100tb of linux isos? I got 7tb, can have more, but realistically....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

Do humans live long enough to watch 100tb of linux isos? I got 7tb, can have more, but realistically....

You're asking the wrong question. The correct one is do you have what it takes to meticulously curate 100tb of Linux ISOs? Watching any of them is entirely optional and barely related to being a data hoarder.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Motronic posted:

You're asking the wrong question. The correct one is do you have what it takes to meticulously curate 100tb of Linux ISOs? Watching any of them is entirely optional and barely related to being a data hoarder.

I feel seen

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Motronic posted:

I know the answer to that question already. It is: hell no.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Get a seed box. Then you get to micromanage things.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Usenet these days doesn’t consume a lot of bandwidth so I don’t see why there’s so much need for utilities around it, paid hosting providers with high data caps, etc. Eternal September is quite needs suiting.

I do sometime feel a bit nostalgic for the days where my news and mail all exchanged via scheduled UUCP dial-out to a guy running a mid-tier node. Store and forward was great, it meant people didn’t expect responses instantly.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Taima posted:

RBD stuff

I tried an RDB based setup a few years ago and was startled at how good it was, but it involved signing up to like 5 different services with bitcoin etc not unlike usenet and was a bit convoluted. Is there a way to integrate it into plex? Because that would be sweet.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Taima posted:

That's how they offer unlimited storage- because it's not being stored individually, it's all based on hashing and you're basically unlocking the rights to use a piece of media by providing the "key" to access it (the torrent file). Therefore the entire system is unified and acts anonymously; RDB has no idea what it's storing. It's just matching users to hashed media, and if it's the first query of that hashed media, it really is downloaded, but otherwise it's just there, instantly available, and appears on your virtual HDD. You can also at that point, download it at full speed, so no VPN is ever needed.

This is some wild infomercial poo poo.

The service may work but this “we found the one loophole that makes everything perfectly secure, and legal, and anonymous,” is so dumb.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

hot date tonight! posted:

I tried an RDB based setup a few years ago and was startled at how good it was, but it involved signing up to like 5 different services with bitcoin etc not unlike usenet and was a bit convoluted. Is there a way to integrate it into plex? Because that would be sweet.

Oh fun, never messing with that then. Dognzb’s tshirt nonsense was enough to make me buy some coin and that was enough of a pain in the rear end that I actually did a year with them as trying to get that back out into a real currency wasn’t worth the effort. I’m not doing that again for something I know there is a catch for.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The service may work but this “we found the one loophole that makes everything perfectly secure, and legal, and anonymous,” is so dumb.

This tbh.

I don’t follow how the fact you can download things “at full speed” means no VPN is needed either.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

hot date tonight! posted:

Er, I'm honestly not sure what this means, we could be talking about different things, but no, I guess? Trying to think what is actually paid here:

- you pay Real Debrid but its like nothing (wanna say $3.XX a month)
- I guess I have a Plex Pass, but not sure if that even counts. It's not required by any means.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Oh, I just think it's really great. I don't recall mentioning any of what you're claiming though, like, at all, sorry.

You don't need a VPN in the sense that you would not receive a DMCA nastygram, which is why most people would use a VPN in combination with Bittorrent.

This is Bittorrent but taking out 99% of the downsides and retaining 100% of the good parts while, somewhat astonishingly, adding about 100% additional good parts. I am making no claim of security whatsoever nor am I somehow inferring that use of it regardless of purpose, is legal? Please stick to Linux ISOs and other copywrite-free media, friend.

History Comes Inside! posted:

This tbh.

I don’t follow how the fact you can download things “at full speed” means no VPN is needed either.

My apologies if I wasn't being clear. You do not need a VPN because it completely removes the implicit threat of a DMCA notice.

And saying "at full speed" actually dramatically undersells what is happening here.

You receive direct and instant access if the media file you input into RDB is already present. For most people this is going to be a large percentage of their queries, and it owns. You may then also, if you want, download it locally at "full speed" meaning here, that it would cap out your download speed, which I feel we can both agree is nice and a large improvement over what Bittorrent usually accomplishes on all but the most seeded files.

Those unlocked and/or remotely downloaded torrents are then available on your virtual drive which can be fed directly into your Plex server. But that's only strictly necessary if you are using a limited-support viewing method, like Apple TV or Roku. If you have a computer, Android streamer, etc then that is by far the easy method.

Look guys. I just did that post as a community service announcement for a service that I feel is almost ludicrously powerful, easy and fun to use. I honestly shouldn't be surprised; Usenet is a well-entrenched community and probably, on the whole, views other methods with distrust, like, I don't know, the people who still like physical CDs to play music or whatever. That's not a perfect analogy because RDB can be used as its whole solution or as part of a holistic setup including Usenet to achieve numerous benefits like unlimited remote storage, or instantly having access to lots of media (and the capability to remotely download torrents and then download them without any fear or VPN use).

I have literally nothing to gain here. I didn't even link to anything in my post. This is the last I will speak on it unless someone has a technical question, thanks and happy holidays :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m too much of a local storage, doing my own encodes from remuxes, spend far too much of my time fine tuning my collection kind of person for it, but I have a friend who moved over to debrid after decades of Usenet and Torrents and he was equally mindblown by the service as OP.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I kinda get the niche RDB fills, especially if you don't have terminal data hoarding brainworms or are after torrents that have poor seed speeds. But I generally find that torrents are best for music and warez, which are largely solved problems thanks to tidal-dl and a handful of big cracking groups.

The music one even moreso if you run your own Plexamp streaming server.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve gone legit with my music before, but always had my local library underneath it as a safety net and ended up cancelling the services. After an issue that stopped my main library from working (which I resolved, but had me thinking) I’ve switched over to Apple Music and a fresh library file. I still have my TB of music but it’s not really connected to anything now, and in all honesty I should’ve done this ages ago. Usenet has never been great for music, and while I’ve always been on oink/what/current iteration, it’s more of a chore tbh. I’m having fun making playlists from essentially an infinite library. Niche stuff I’ll just keep in PlexAmp.

If legit TV and Movies had been fixed like music streaming was, they probably wouldn’t be caring so much about piracy in 2023 honestly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EL BROMANCE posted:

If legit TV and Movies had been fixed like music streaming was, they probably wouldn’t be caring so much about piracy in 2023 honestly.

This

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup, if one day a bunch of tracks went missing out your Spotify or whatever playlist because Sony wanted to run their own streaming service and didn't renew the licensing you'd collapse the value of all the providers overnight.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Its insane to me that Music figured it out, but visual media hasn't.
There are very few times where an artist doesn't show up in my youtube music. Sometimes i have to wait a week or w/e.

TV/Movies are trying to fragment even further, and the *arrs are just getting better for it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I guess the reason music streaming got it figured out was because to artists, chart positions, streams and radio plays count financially, so it makes sense to be on as many platforms as possible to maximise those numbers. That isn't so much the case for TV and films.

The only music artist I can think of to not follow that approach is Garth Brooks, but he loving sucks anyway so nobody cares.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Music is presumably also significantly cheaper and easier (from a strictly technical ‘production’ standpoint, this isn’t a comment on the merits and difficulties of different creative roles) to produce than tv and movies, so there’s less of a “we spent half a billion dollars on this 10 episode miniseries there’s no way we’re going to let someone else make money off it” thing going on.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh this is extremely interesting. Lidarr is a nightmare if you have album brain worms and just want do things on a text by track level. If this is just music yt-dlp then I’m gong to have to go hard on this.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warbird posted:

Oh this is extremely interesting. Lidarr is a nightmare if you have album brain worms and just want do things on a text by track level. If this is just music yt-dlp then I’m gong to have to go hard on this.

It's more at album level, but if you're like me and not a fan of re-releases, special editions or live albums it's great. Sign up for a three month free trial of Tidal and grab as many records in FLAC as you want.

The GUI client is...unpolished to say the least, but it works just fine and I've never had it crash over a hundred or so TB of albums in lossless quality.

I was previously using Headphones, which whilst a great idea in theory has all the same drawbacks of any Usenet based music solution like Lidarr.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Taima, you were or were not around a few years ago when Kodi got trashed to poo poo for only somewhat different 3rd party tactics?

Their rep sure returned in the mainstream, huh?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Taima posted:

Er, I'm honestly not sure what this means, we could be talking about different things, but no, I guess? Trying to think what is actually paid here:

- you pay Real Debrid but its like nothing (wanna say $3.XX a month)
- I guess I have a Plex Pass, but not sure if that even counts. It's not required by any means.

Years ago when I tried this solution you needed a debrid service, a service to provide you with hashes and a frontend of some sort and they were all paid. It also helped to have redundancy in case one thing didn't have the poo poo you wanted. I answered my own question though I see you can integrate a debrid service straight into plex with plex-debrid and it looks pretty nice.

Warbird posted:

Just a heads up if you don't know, yt-dlp works on bandcamp too, and can sometimes get lossless files (Usually you'll get 128kb MP3 though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Why would anyone get DMCA’d for reading or posting on Usenet? And what the hell would anyone post where bandwidth mattered so much? I get that a full feed might require a T1 but the most a leaf node should ever need is a Trailblazer.